Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Drag Racing   » whoa - is the clutch slipping or what?

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: whoa - is the clutch slipping or what?
Olie Malit
¯
Member # 11008

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Olie Malit  Ford pictures for Olie Malit    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hkai68kaXt0

new 521, new kevlar/metal custom made clutch, modified tko600 trans.

1st pass i left the suspension settings to my old 460 and i was all over the place so i just coasted the last 1/8 so i wouldn't hit the wall.

2nd pass, got a little closer to not spinning.

3rd pass i got traction and i'm going straight which is the video above. the rpms automatically want to stay around my 6100rpms shift point and sometimes is hitting the rev limiter at 6300.

got an email from moderndriveline and he said i need to have 500 city miles before a drag strip. that doesn't sound right cuz i would think a clutch should not slip regardless this bad.

Posts: 121 | From: Yuba City Cali | Registered: Jun 2011  |  :
BIGBALLFACTOR
¯
Member # 7277

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for BIGBALLFACTOR  Ford pictures for BIGBALLFACTOR    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
cluches need to be seated just like brakes do you not going to going hit the hills with new brake an hope stops like did with the old ones
Egocentric
¯
Member # 9529

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Egocentric  Ford pictures for Egocentric    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
If you don't wear the flywheel, pressure plate and clutch with each other. (Which is why they suggest minimum of 500 miles). You will get slipping. Better hope that clutch is still good.

--------------------
08 G37S
72 C10 Custom
R6

quote:
ain't no one tell me what to do. - NEIGHT

Posts: 1712 | From: NoOneTellMeWhatToDo-Neight | Registered: Oct 2009  |  :
Olie Malit
¯
Member # 11008

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Olie Malit  Ford pictures for Olie Malit    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
even though they still have slicks on it, i took it around the block for a few laps and the clutch seems to be working just fine like nothing is wrong.

maybe i should put it on jacks and keep cycling thru all the gears to try to get as much mileage as possible.

i probably only have less than 100 miles on it.

5.0 LsX
¯
Member # 10017

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 5.0 LsX  Ford pictures for 5.0 LsX    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
you need stop and go driving, wont be under load if you jack it up

--------------------
91' Notch

Olie Malit
¯
Member # 11008

i got to figure out a few things before i could start driving again. i somehow closed the gaps on two spark plugs.
SLWST50
¯
Member # 11113

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for SLWST50  Ford pictures for SLWST50    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
You should never run a car on stands with a new clutch. Ask any clutch manufacturer...
Posts: 32 | From: Citrus Heights, CA | Registered: Jul 2011  |  :
cemelevu
¯
Member # 10601

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for cemelevu  Ford pictures for cemelevu    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
yeah you have got to seat the clutch before any track time. 500 miles is minimum. its the most agonizing 500 miles you will ever drive. seems like every yahoo out there wants to challenge you during that time.
87 coupe
¯
Member # 10919

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 87 coupe  Ford pictures for 87 coupe    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Very true like Sschevelle says u got to brake it In one time I put a new clutch did all kinds of burn out and eversince clutch was never good again.
FIFTY BOYEEE
¯
Member # 11565

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for FIFTY BOYEEE  Ford pictures for FIFTY BOYEEE    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Call any speed shop or ceramic/kevlar clutch manufacturer
all I've ever heard was break it in or its garbage. So I break them in like recommended.

--------------------
Fat Boys Racing
84 glx drop
89gt hatch charged
37pickup flathead

Olie Malit
¯
Member # 11008

i'll be putting more miles on the car but with the old motor now. the new motor had 2 bad pistons and is waiting to go back to washington for repairs.

the new clutch however is made for alot more power than the old motor has but i guess i'll be ok.

Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com