Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Drag Racing   » Can't wait to get the new 521 Stroker out to TNT - hopefully 10.5 tires hook up

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: Can't wait to get the new 521 Stroker out to TNT - hopefully 10.5 tires hook up
Olie Malit
¯
Member # 11008

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Olie Malit  Ford pictures for Olie Malit    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
just got the 521 stroker up and running and can't wait to take her out to a TNT night, i'm shooting for the 11th. the motor was dyno'd on a conservative dyno in washington (so says the engine builder) and it made 575hp @ 5900 rpms and 620tq @ 4600rpms. we were shooting for 600hp but he said he always ends up 40-50hp less on that dyno he uses versus the one he competes on at engine master challenge. so maybe i did get the 600hp i was gunning for.

i'm shooting for a high 10 to a high 11 ET, but thats of course i can even hook up with my current set up. i got calvert's mono leaf, calvert's shocks front and rear, calverts traction bars and a 28x10.5-15 tire on a 15x10 rim. with the 460 with about 125 less HP, it hooked up fine and launching as high as 4400rpms. we will have to see if i can hook up.

if not, might need to play with adjustments on shocks and traction bars. and probably even taller and wider slicks. if new slicks are needed, i hope i can test fit and use some 29.5x11.5-15 or at least use 28x11.5-15s.

hope to see lotsa fords on the 11th.

[ May 02, 2012, 05:03 PM: Message edited by: Olie Malit ]

Posts: 121 | From: Yuba City Cali | Registered: Jun 2011  |  :
Olie Malit
¯
Member # 11008

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Olie Malit  Ford pictures for Olie Malit    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
well i got it out there on TNT but however the motor somehow seemed to want to throw a chunk off of 2 pistons and somehow want to just have a slight spudder afterwards.

i found the problem with a boroscope peaking into the spark plug holes. i took off the heads and the pieces that came off are in the same spot on both pistons.

the old motor is probably going back in for a short while until the new motor gets sent back to washington for repair.

Olie Malit
¯
Member # 11008

well the engine builder called me up and told me he thinks the thing was running lean and a small case of detonation. be said he'll do the labor at no cost but i'm paying for parts. i think he's really not guaranteeing his work and motor.

if hes really confident in his work i should of never had this problem and especially i followed his instruction to the "T".

so now i gotta look for replacement pistons to a ford racing 521 kit that seems impossible right now and another company to rebuild it cuz i don't think this guy is going to help too much. let alone to get the motor back to him and the cost back and fourth.

sic70stang
CAFords OG
Member # 4347

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for sic70stang  Ford pictures for sic70stang    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
damn man that sucks. did the dyno shop record the AF?

--------------------
The anti-crew
1987 rolling safety violation.

Posts: 6940 | From: California | Registered: Jul 2005  |  :
Olie Malit
¯
Member # 11008

yup, somewhere in the 6000rpm range it went to 11.9. he used my carb on the dyno and i did no changes to it since.
warhorse58gt
¯
Member # 7702

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for warhorse58gt  Ford pictures for warhorse58gt  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
where in washington is the dyno located? if it's 3.5k elevation, then you bring your motor down to sac raceway. (i think is what 56ft?) without changing a carb jet, i can see it being lean.

--------------------
WOLFPACK RACING

With guns, we are 'citizens'. Without them, we are 'subjects'.

83gt 354ci sbf 9.40 @ 143
77 cobra 2 171ci 97hp of pure fury!

Olie Malit
¯
Member # 11008

quote:
Originally posted by warhorse58gt:
where in washington is the dyno located? if it's 3.5k elevation, then you bring your motor down to sac raceway. (i think is what 56ft?) without changing a carb jet, i can see it being lean.

tacoma washington!
rollin5ive0
¯
Member # 8592

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for rollin5ive0  Ford pictures for rollin5ive0    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
hey man id fight that shit, he tuned it, put it together and the whole shebang right? well him commin up with that whole 40-50 hp less on the two dynos, and him not takin the elevation factor in to consideration, theres gotta be some part of the program the can compensate for these things, at least i hope, or i would assume people would be blowin up thier shit like yours did and the dyno itself potential problem with his machinerys calculations??....he said he tuned it conservatively, well aparently not or he fucked up and didnt work in the elevation. his build his decsion on the conservativeness of the tune...his responsibility on the operation of the motor, and it wasnt like the parts failed due to the motor running fine and there being anactual physical mfg. defect. it ran lean cause of one of the situation above! i assume you wouldnt take your 521 stroke to a no name and if tuning i would also assume he would some have concept or realization of how detrimental that calculation being factored in or not would be.....if it were me, id lay that on him and see if he can explain why you now have to pay for new parts cause of his neglegence!....of course he could always say fuck you sue me, or have a very good reason for not payin for parts , or he could admit fault and get to work. any way it just my .02 cents [patriot]

--------------------
875.0gt
90dtlx5.0
93blkvenumos5.0COBRA#3377
96redthundr4.6l4vCOBRA
964.6l2vGT
895.0lGT
93cleancorlgreen5.0GT
93meancoralgreen5.0GT

Posts: 1830 | From: 707 vacaville ca | Registered: Aug 2008  |  :

Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com