Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Drag Racing   » New 5.0's are FAST!!

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: New 5.0's are FAST!!
need-a-cage
¯
Member # 5415

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for need-a-cage  Ford pictures for need-a-cage    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I just test drove a 2012 5.0 today with the Brembo's and 373's and it was super fast. Last week the air was good and there was no headwind at Sears Point and I ran 12.29 @ 110 mph and this 2012 felt much quicker. The midrannge felt similar to my 347 without the blower but the motor really came alive between 4k and 7k. This motor screems. It felt like it should trap 114mph with no problem. I was SUPER impressed with the new 5.0 and wished I could get one. I turned off the traction control and had to lift as I was approaching 7k on a quick 1-2 shift. It was spinning so much I had to lift. After the first miss to 3rd when trying to throw it too far to the right, I figured out how to shift it and had a super fast shift to 3rd which chirped the tires hard every time. It felt great. I want to get one!!!!!!!

--------------------
93 LX Hatch, Dart Big Bore 347, Edelbrock 6037's, Cobra intake, Tremec, S-trim, 60# injectors, Tweecer RT
10.84 @ 128.5mph

Posts: 606 | From: Santa Rosa | Registered: Mar 2005  |  :
LQ9SN95
¯
Member # 7080

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for LQ9SN95  Ford pictures for LQ9SN95    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
First they are slow, now all of a sudden they are fast?

--------------------
http://www.fastgms-teamfast.com
http://www.facebook.com/aop.fresno?ref=ts&fref=ts
Lq9 swap
102 fast intake
Trick flow heads
T rex cam

Posts: 8031 | From: Fresno, Ca | Registered: Sep 2006  |  :
need-a-cage
¯
Member # 5415

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for need-a-cage  Ford pictures for need-a-cage    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
The point I was making in the previous post was that I have not seen one driven to its potential yet at Sears Point. Now that I have driven one I am even more surprised that guys are running in the 13's.

I guess it just all depends on how much they spin, but it would be tough not to run in the 12's with this thing even with a crappy 60ft. I did get some of the wheel hop that one of the guys talked about when I punched it in 1st and slammed 2nd but that was before I turned off the traction control. After I disabled that, it would just spin like crazy and didn't try to hop. I rolled on the gas and had the tires planted in 1st and it would spin like crazy when I hit 2nd and I would have to pedal it. If it did that on the track, then it would be tough to get a good ET without some decent tires but the track should be stickier. This is the first stick I have driven that had throttle-by-wire and I was pretty impressed with how well it worked. I expected to feel more disconnected and not have great throttle response, bit it flet pretty good. It did feel like it didn't give it full throttle on the initial stab of the pedal when I punched off from 4k and 5k, but I am sure a tune would fix that. The brakes sure felt good too.

--------------------
93 LX Hatch, Dart Big Bore 347, Edelbrock 6037's, Cobra intake, Tremec, S-trim, 60# injectors, Tweecer RT
10.84 @ 128.5mph

Posts: 606 | From: Santa Rosa | Registered: Mar 2005  |  :
LQ9SN95
¯
Member # 7080

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for LQ9SN95  Ford pictures for LQ9SN95    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
the new 5.0s are fast, how they are drivin is a different story

they make about 50rwhp more than me and i beat one on 1-2 of the times we raced

--------------------
http://www.fastgms-teamfast.com
http://www.facebook.com/aop.fresno?ref=ts&fref=ts
Lq9 swap
102 fast intake
Trick flow heads
T rex cam

Posts: 8031 | From: Fresno, Ca | Registered: Sep 2006  |  :
triple b
¯
Member # 8763

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for triple b  Ford pictures for triple b    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
all about the driver i beat one on the freeway 2-3-4 my car runs 13's but i did see one running low 12s at sac race way last weds

--------------------
1988 4cyl conv 306 HCI "sasha"
2004 tahoe
Sold- 87 GT, 72 chevelle, 63 biscane, 82 monte carlo, 73 nova, 88 silverado,

Posts: 1730 | From: sacramento ca | Registered: Nov 2008  |  :
RedVeNoM50
¯
Member # 8765

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for RedVeNoM50  Ford pictures for RedVeNoM50    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I pulled up on one in my 03 cobra the other day at the light and walked all over him btw im putting down 415 rwhp.

Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com