Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Drag Racing   » New 5.0's are SLOW! (Page 2)

- Email this post to someone!   Page: 1  2   
Author Topic: New 5.0's are SLOW!
need-a-cage
¯
Member # 5415

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for need-a-cage  Ford pictures for need-a-cage    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
You guys should run in the Gear Jammer class for manual transmissions. I want to see more Mustangs, Camaros, Vettes, and Challengers over there.

I hope it doesn't rain this week because I can't make it next week. I still haven't mounted and balanced my sticky tires yet though. I am in the Reef Blue LX with stock Pony wheels. It has a vacant blower bracket on it right now.

--------------------
93 LX Hatch, Dart Big Bore 347, Edelbrock 6037's, Cobra intake, Tremec, S-trim, 60# injectors, Tweecer RT
10.84 @ 128.5mph

Posts: 606 | From: Santa Rosa | Registered: Mar 2005  |  :
SVTCOBRAFOREVER
¯
Member # 4173

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for SVTCOBRAFOREVER  Ford pictures for SVTCOBRAFOREVER    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
2012 MT Bone stock 646miles on the car when I ran a best so far of 12.7@112mph with 3.31gears at Sac. 2.0 60ft.
Posts: 453 | From: Concord,CA | Registered: Feb 2004  |  :
SwEeT03Gt
¯
Member # 10283

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for SwEeT03Gt  Ford pictures for SwEeT03Gt    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
12.4 with only cai and a 93 bama tune, these guys can drive and still hit 13.29 stock
both runs stock tires

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KXlTu_usMXQ

Posts: 4484 | From: -NicKlE n DiMe- | Registered: Sep 2010  |  :
Camara90
1%
Member # 134

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Camara90  Ford pictures for Camara90  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by SwEeT 03 Gt:
12.4 with only cai and a 93 bama tune, these guys can drive and still hit 13.29 stock
both runs stock tires

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KXlTu_usMXQ

These guys can drive? Dude they hit a 2.428 60 ft on the 13.2 run with the stock setup. There are far better drivers out there for sure.

--------------------
92GT,stock short block,9:1 TFS 170's,perf rpm,custom cam,1 5/8 shorties,C4 trans.
std. 356hp, 350tq
11.85@111.9mph on motor.

season'd 88
¯
Member # 169

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for season'd 88  Ford pictures for season'd 88    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I rented a 2011 5.0 for a week last year and thought the car hauled ass. I say that after having a few fairly fast cars myself.
As a bonus i also managed 26MPG..the week i had it. Maybe it was a good one..go figure.

slick5.0
¯
Member # 7521

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for slick5.0  Ford pictures for slick5.0    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
11.88 with just full exhaust and k&n drop in filter with slicks no tune 1.69 60 foot
Posts: 203 | From: sacramento | Registered: Mar 2007  |  :
03SVT
¯
Member # 5987

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 03SVT  Ford pictures for 03SVT    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
They need the driver mod.

--------------------
03 Cobra (wife), 06 G35 Coupe (sold), 07 TBSS (mistress), 07 F150 Harley Davidson (girlfriend) 08 BMW M5 (side chick),

need-a-cage
¯
Member # 5415

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for need-a-cage  Ford pictures for need-a-cage    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by slick5.0:
11.88 with just full exhaust and k&n drop in filter with slicks no tune 1.69 60 foot

That is more like it. What was your mph? Get a tune!!

--------------------
93 LX Hatch, Dart Big Bore 347, Edelbrock 6037's, Cobra intake, Tremec, S-trim, 60# injectors, Tweecer RT
10.84 @ 128.5mph

Liln2o
¯
Member # 9652

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Liln2o  Ford pictures for Liln2o    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I got a 2012 and its fast as fuck with street tires and runs even better with tires....
Posts: 292 | From: Pleasanton | Registered: Dec 2009  |  :
hidnn.o.s.
¯
Member # 1219

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for hidnn.o.s.  Ford pictures for hidnn.o.s.        Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by Liln2o:
I got a 2012 and its fast as fuck with street tires and runs even better with tires....

Wow... We are all impressed an envious!

--------------------
R.I.P. Willie G. You are missed on this forum

Liln2o
¯
Member # 9652

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Liln2o  Ford pictures for Liln2o    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Wow ok... All im saying is there not slow at all...
hidnn.o.s.
¯
Member # 1219

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for hidnn.o.s.  Ford pictures for hidnn.o.s.        Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by Liln2o:
Wow ok... All im saying is there not slow at all...

Neither is a V6 Honda compared to the 4 bangers

His point was, 95% of the people taking them to the track can't drive them to the ET they should.

Yay.... Another mid-high 13 second 5.0 [Roll Eyes]

[ April 06, 2012, 10:23 AM: Message edited by: hidnn.o.s. ]

--------------------
R.I.P. Willie G. You are missed on this forum

Ultrajetboat
Member # 11865

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ultrajetboat  Ford pictures for Ultrajetboat    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
That was me with the grabber blue. The problem isn't traction, it's wheel hop. It gets so severe it feels like the wheels are going to bounce through the wheel well. I had to completely let off the gas in 1st and 2nd to get the wheels to stop bouncing. And that was with a very slow launch hoping to prevent the hop. And I can't clean the tires off or do any sort of burnout because the tires just bounce. People have broken axle shafts because of it. The uca and lca's need replacing, but a big part of it is the crappy tires. The brembo cars suffer wheel hop the most.I have new lca's to put on for this Wednesday, then I'll be back in July with uca, drag radials and springs.
SVTCOBRAFOREVER
¯
Member # 4173

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for SVTCOBRAFOREVER  Ford pictures for SVTCOBRAFOREVER    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Wheel hop was a problem with my 2012 until I got use to driving it some more. I was at Infineon last wednesday.

The best I could run was a 12.9 @ 108mph with a 2.060ft at 35-40psi stock tires.

Sac Best 12.7@112 2.1 60ft stock tires at 20psi.

That track location is terrible for drag racing. The head wind killed my E.T.

[ April 07, 2012, 05:48 PM: Message edited by: SVTCOBRAFOREVER ]

--------------------
1992 Notch LS9 Twin Turbo On its way to completion. Way over 800rwhp on 8lbs.
1990 5.0 (97 cobra powered) Sold

Posts: 453 | From: Concord,CA | Registered: Feb 2004  |  :
need-a-cage
¯
Member # 5415

Yes, there was a super strong 20mph headwind, but it was super cold and the air was really good. I hope to get a day with the air that good minus the headwind so I can beat my best NA run of 12.31 before I put the blower back on. I broke out in the semi final by .002 because they moved me to the right lane and I got my best 60ft of the night after I dialed up .02 because my previous run was my worst 60ft of the night. I ran 12.378 on a 12.38 dial in at 100mph. I lifted enough to drop 8.5mph without touching the brakes so it would have been another 12.31. It was running 108.5mph and would have hit 110mph without that headwind so I think a 12.2x is possible. That is my goal before the blower goes back on. I need to do it before it warms up though and my son has baseball on the next 3 Wednesdays! My 5 time trials ranged from 12.36-12.39 with speeds from 107.9-108.9mph with 60fts from 1.69-1.72. In the semi-final I got a 1.677 60ft. My 1000ft was identical to the 12.310 that I ran 2 years ago with this setup minus the new suspension changes. The suspension upgrades were to help it go around corners and I was afraid it would screw up the drag launches. On average it seems to only be off a couple hundredths in the 60ft than before so that is not bad. It definitely turns better and doesn't bottom out all the time now.

It sounds like I need to get the blower back on before that Grabber Blue 5.0 shows back up out there.

JohnB
Tech Moderator
Member # 969

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for JohnB  Ford pictures for JohnB    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
The Rousch Wheel Hop reduction kit works wonders on the new Mustangs.

--------------------
1965 Shelby Cobra
1993 Cobra
2012 F150 Raptor
2020 GT500

Posts: 6523 | From: Orlando FL/Redding CA | Registered: Mar 2002  |  :
Liln2o
¯
Member # 9652

Bmr worked for me its good stuff
Ultrajetboat
Member # 11865

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ultrajetboat  Ford pictures for Ultrajetboat    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I have some lca's that I need to install, then I'm getting a bmr uca. I was at 7000rpm in 4th across the line, I think with a good launch and no need to let off the gas I'll need to shift into 5th. I'm planning on running a drag radial thats .4" taller then the current tire, so that should keep me in 4th gear. I ran a 13.1 @112 mph with a 2.2 60 ft. I have lots of room for improvement. Unfortunately my transmission is showing some of the symptoms you can read about online, so I need to take it in for the tsb and see if theylle work on it or void my warranty :/
need-a-cage
¯
Member # 5415

That sucks about the trans! You have a good mph.

I think that if I got one I would get the 3.55's so I could make it a little faster and still be able to hold 4th. I would want to be able to modify it enough to run 118mph and still be in 4th with a short sidewall tire. That would be enough mph for 11.50, which is where you have to install the rollcage.

--------------------
10.84 @ 128.5mph

Page: 1  2   
Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com