Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Drag Racing   » New 5.0's are SLOW! (Page 1)

- Email this post to someone!   Page: 1  2   
Author Topic: New 5.0's are SLOW!
need-a-cage
¯
Member # 5415

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for need-a-cage  Ford pictures for need-a-cage    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I wish someone that races at Infineon and knows how to drive would buy one of the new 5.0's. There are too many out there with guys that should have bought automatics and their poor driving is giving the new 5.0's a bad rap! One of them was running 13.9 last night and there were 2 others in the 13's! WTF is that! I wanted to drive his car so bad to show him what it is capable of. There were also a bunch of GT500's in the 13's. They do have decent mph so I know they have power. My car is missing the blower right now, so I only had 1.5mph on one of the guys but I was 1.5 seconds quicker! My Nitto's were marginally better than his tires but I am sure I could get it to run pretty deep into the 12's.

At least Shawn is showing what they can do at Sac Raceway.

--------------------
93 LX Hatch, Dart Big Bore 347, Edelbrock 6037's, Cobra intake, Tremec, S-trim, 60# injectors, Tweecer RT
10.84 @ 128.5mph

Posts: 606 | From: Santa Rosa | Registered: Mar 2005  |  :
FOXX5.0
¯
Member # 9094

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for FOXX5.0  Ford pictures for FOXX5.0    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Wow 13.9 smh was it that blue one ? I was there yesterday too
fastivab6tg25mr
¯
Member # 11446

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for fastivab6tg25mr  Ford pictures for fastivab6tg25mr    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
one at sac was running around 13.0 last night
need-a-cage
¯
Member # 5415

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for need-a-cage  Ford pictures for need-a-cage    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
No, it was a white one in the Gear Jammer class. There was also a black one in the GJ class running mid 13's. The Grabber blue one in Street must have been modified because it ran 112mph. I wanted to go talk to that guy. I heard part of one of his runs and it sounded like he had good shifts, but he ran 13.1 at 112mph so his launch must have been pretty bad. He had 2mph on me and I was .8 quicker.

The air was good last night, but the head wind was strong. All the oil downs were killing me. I got screwed out of my 3rd time trial and then spun in the first round and let a damn Camaro beat me. His .029 light to my .069 didn't help my case either!

--------------------
93 LX Hatch, Dart Big Bore 347, Edelbrock 6037's, Cobra intake, Tremec, S-trim, 60# injectors, Tweecer RT
10.84 @ 128.5mph

hidnn.o.s.
¯
Member # 1219

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for hidnn.o.s.  Ford pictures for hidnn.o.s.        Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
wheels/tires make all the difference in the world

--------------------
R.I.P. Willie G. You are missed on this forum

need-a-cage
¯
Member # 5415

Not that big of a difference. I ran 14.5 with my car bone stock at only 93.5mph the first time ever at the track and only 2 weeks after buying the car. This guy was 15mph faster and only 0.6 seconds quicker. I can guarantee you that I could get that car deep into the 12's. You could too! Didn't your 06 run a low 13 all stock? Add 100hp to that and better gear ratios. You could turn on traction control and bog the hell out of it off the line to keep it from spinning and it should still run a 13.2 or better. With good tires I have run 12.99 with 105mph. However, that was with 3.55 gears which are way too high for only running 105mph in the 1/4. I had to hit 4th too close to the finish line (3/4 track) and I was only around 4800 rpm when I crossed the line. The new 5.0's with 3.73's and a 1:1 5th gear are geared MUCH better for the strip.

--------------------
10.84 @ 128.5mph

hidnn.o.s.
¯
Member # 1219

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for hidnn.o.s.  Ford pictures for hidnn.o.s.        Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Wheels and tires are huge. The wheels drop A LOT of rotating weight and the tires allow you to drop the clutch, as you know! I ran a 13.2 stock, and a 12.701 with the DR's and a tune. I know I could have gone lower, but that car saw the track a total of 5 times :-(
Sad to say, but I have no real desire to give up a Wednesday night from the kids any more [Frown]

--------------------

need-a-cage
¯
Member # 5415

I have never run lightweight wheels before. I still run the stock Pony's with full size front tires.

Okay, so lightweight race wheels with skinnies up front, sticky tires on the back, and a tune gave you 5 tenths. Didn't you also have 4.10's? Anyway, that would bring the guy's 13.9 down to a 13.4. He can't drive! That is all I am saying. Are you really defending these guys that can't get their stock 412hp Stangs into the 12's? The automatics are in the 12's. If the guy's could drive, their manuals would be there too.

--------------------
10.84 @ 128.5mph

hidnn.o.s.
¯
Member # 1219

Not defending anyone, just saying maybe 90% of people on the road CAN'T hook a regular street tire AT ALL! There were ALWAYS people with MORE mods and MPH than I, but far less ET with the 05+'s. Sears Point has a small/select group of us/friends that can drive a car to the best of its ability.

[ March 09, 2012, 05:15 PM: Message edited by: hidnn.o.s. ]

--------------------

need-a-cage
¯
Member # 5415

I just want to see these guys get better so they run quicker than the Camaros and Challengers. I am glad that they got the Mustangs and it is cool that they are taking them to the track, but I want to see some decent numbers out of them. It took a long time before I saw a well driven Challenger out their too. My Ram was quicker than one of them. I told the guy that he had to at least beat the 14.6 that my Ram did.

However, the quicker I see them run then the more I am going to want one and I know that will never happen!

93PONY
Mr. Valve Events
Member # 60

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 93PONY  Ford pictures for 93PONY        Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Come out to Sac and see how 'slow' the new 5.0 is..... Tomorrow....

--------------------
www.advancedenginedevelopment.com
SCT dealer
Dynotuning

(916)715-7569

Posts: 4265 | From: Fair Oaks, CA | Registered: Nov 2000  |  :
Notch1320
Man Pedal
Member # 2647

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Notch1320  Ford pictures for Notch1320    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by 93PONY:

I was waiting for you to chime in. [burnout]
Posts: 2349 | From: Yuba City, CA | Registered: Mar 2003  |  :
triple b
¯
Member # 8763

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for triple b  Ford pictures for triple b    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
no i think they are fast i raced one on hwy 99 from laguna to mack it suprised me that i couldnt pull away saw the guy the next day at shell lol

--------------------
1988 4cyl conv 306 HCI "sasha"
2004 tahoe
Sold- 87 GT, 72 chevelle, 63 biscane, 82 monte carlo, 73 nova, 88 silverado,

Posts: 1730 | From: sacramento ca | Registered: Nov 2008  |  :
need-a-cage
¯
Member # 5415

quote:
Originally posted by 93PONY:

Like I said in the original post, at least you are showing what they can do at Sac. I wish you ran it bone stock on the factory tread to see what is possible. What has Evan Smith done in one?

I know they are quick and I am waiting to see someone at Infineon that can get everything out of it. So far the only one I have seen in the 12's was an automatic. I want to see someone drive the manual well enough to keep up with the autos. I am sure that will be a difficult task on street tires since the auto will be MUCH easier to launch and the new auto's work so well with their high stall and close ratio's, but it can be done.

--------------------
10.84 @ 128.5mph

need-a-cage
¯
Member # 5415

Okay, I found this in a forum talking about what Evan did with a 2011 5.0 in MM&FF magazine.

-----------------------------------------------
He ran a 3.73, CS, on stock tires to 12.69 @ 112.49 with a 2.00 60' time. When they put the M/T stickies on, and got the launch rpms dialed in, he ran a 12.342 at 110.77 with a 1.758 60' time with daylight under the front tire.
------------------------------------------------

That is very impressive. These guys must be shifting really slowly and/or at the wrong rpm to be 4+mph off and over a second. There was one guy out there that hit 112mph but his was definitely louder than stock. He ran a low 13. I'll try to find him next time out and see if his is stock or not. I heard the last half of his run and he was shifting it quickly. He must have just had a bad launch.

Shawn, it is crazy how much more mph you are getting out of yours. Have you hit 122mph yet? If so, that is 10mph over a stocker! Are you sure you aren't hiding a supercharger somewhere! LOL!

--------------------
10.84 @ 128.5mph

93PONY
Mr. Valve Events
Member # 60

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 93PONY  Ford pictures for 93PONY        Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
11.07 @123.5 and 11.15 @124mph

Stock tires suck.
We see stock manuals at the track all the times. Most run 12.8-13.1 @108-109mph. Best I've seen is 12.6 @109.

Problem with 3.73 cars is running out of gear in 4th on stock tires/tune...they'll hit the limiter.

--------------------
SCT dealer
Dynotuning

(916)715-7569

need-a-cage
¯
Member # 5415

Yeah, it seems like they are geared perfect with 3.73's and the less than 1:1 4th gear as long as you don't modify it at all. I think I would get the 3.55's if I bought one so I could get 115mph out of it on short drag radials. Are you running 3.73's with huge tires?

Your times and speeds are crazy. Do you have a freak or do you think yours would have run 112mph stock? If you only lightened it by 400lbs, then you must have added 80hp. What does it dyno now?

--------------------
10.84 @ 128.5mph

93PONY
Mr. Valve Events
Member # 60

quote:
Originally posted by need-a-cage:
Yeah, it seems like they are geared perfect with 3.73's and the less than 1:1 4th gear as long as you don't modify it at all. I think I would get the 3.55's if I bought one so I could get 115mph out of it on short drag radials. Are you running 3.73's with huge tires?

Your times and speeds are crazy. Do you have a freak or do you think yours would have run 112mph stock? If you only lightened it by 400lbs, then you must have added 80hp. What does it dyno now?

200lbs off of stock (3400lbs without driver)
3.73's netting 11.1 @122, 3.55's netted the above times. 28" tall tire.
432RWHP STD last time on the dyno with Gasoline. E85 was worth an extra 12HP.

--------------------
SCT dealer
Dynotuning

(916)715-7569

need-a-cage
¯
Member # 5415

Wow, if there is a 15% loss then you did add 80rwhp! Have you tuned anyone else's 5.0? If so, what were the results?

I wish I could buy one! In stock trim they have more mph than my car NA. Yours has as much mph as mine with 8psi of boost!

--------------------
10.84 @ 128.5mph

Yellow94GT
Mr. 60 FT
Member # 431

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Yellow94GT  Ford pictures for Yellow94GT  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Have you tuned anyone else's 5.0?

lol

--------------------
AED

1994 GT Bucket that will likely never run
1999 SLOLEEN Twin Turbo Coyote
2008 F250 580 RWHP 1129 RWTQ

Posts: 5990 | From: Cameron Park, Ca | Registered: Sep 2001  |  :
need-a-cage
¯
Member # 5415

Sorry Drew. I have been too busy to keep up with what you guys are doing over there. So what are the ET's, mph, and hp of some other AED tuned 5.0's? If I ever get one I may need to bring it up to you!
93PONY
Mr. Valve Events
Member # 60

Bone stock as delivered from Ford with 87 in the tank my car put down 395STD on my dyno. I added 3 gallons of 104 and she put down 405. (ECU's have octane adjust)

I have not added 80HP. LOL

The ECU's pull power in a lot of ways to minimize warranty issues. Powershifting results in throttle blade closure (for instance), clutch protection doesn't allow hard tip-in of the TB as the clutch is released. Disabling parameters like these allow a good driver to take full advantage at the track.
They also have Advaced Traction control. From the factory on stock rubber it's actually difficult to spin the tires, but disable AdvanceTrac in the tune and you'll damn near hit a wall at the drag strip. Another parameter I disabled as I use slicks and don't have traction limitations.

Typical exhaust/tune, or intake/tune 5.0 we do will click off an 11 with a decent 60ft. (1.7 or better)
With a fast reving motor, weight reduction is huge, especially if you do rotating weight. Factory driveshafts weigh 43lbs, each Brembo wheel/tire 54lbs, Brembo 14" rotors 25lbs each.... That's a LOT of weight to turn over. I've reduced this by over 80lbs and have plans on reducing it further.

--------------------
SCT dealer
Dynotuning

(916)715-7569

need-a-cage
¯
Member # 5415

I didn't think that you added that much power, but you sure got a lot of mph out of it! I can't beleive it put down 395 stock on 87!

Damn I want one of these! They go around corners pretty well and stop too!

Keep up the good work. Maybe I'll make it over there some time to see it in action.

ToMorrow44
¯
Member # 11791

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for ToMorrow44  Ford pictures for ToMorrow44    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
No, it was a white one in the Gear Jammer class. There was also a black one in the GJ class running mid 13's. The Grabber blue one in Street must have been modified because it ran 112mph. I wanted to go talk to that guy. I heard part of one of his runs and it sounded like he had good shifts, but he ran 13.1 at 112mph so his launch must have been pretty bad. He had 2mph on me and I was .8 quicker.

The air was good last night, but the head wind was strong. All the oil downs were killing me. I got screwed out of my 3rd time trial and then spun in the first round and let a damn Camaro beat me. His .029 light to my .069 didn't help my case either!

This blue mustang is a friend of mine. I had my blue 06 mustang out there last week too. He has an offroad x-pipe and mufflers, intake, and Jon Lund tune. That was his first time ever down the track and said he spun in 1st and 2nd. We both should be there this next week, weather permitting.

--------------------
2006 Mustang GT Auto Vista Blue, Airaid Intake, Bama Tune

ToMorrow44
¯
Member # 11791

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for ToMorrow44  Ford pictures for ToMorrow44    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:

That is very impressive. These guys must be shifting really slowly and/or at the wrong rpm to be 4+mph off and over a second. There was one guy out there that hit 112mph but his was definitely louder than stock. He ran a low 13. I'll try to find him next time out and see if his is stock or not. I heard the last half of his run and he was shifting it quickly. He must have just had a bad launch.

Yeah he spun the tires off the line. The car could easily dip into the 12s. Come over and say hi! I'll be there every Wed if I can.

--------------------
2006 Mustang GT Auto Vista Blue, Airaid Intake, Bama Tune

Page: 1  2   
Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com