Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Drag Racing   » My Cobra's maiden voyage.....

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: My Cobra's maiden voyage.....
TRIXSNK
¯
Member # 2844

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for TRIXSNK  Ford pictures for TRIXSNK    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Well this was my first time at the track w/ the Cobra.....FINALLY [Mad]

Anyway overall i had a great time....i'm still [Big Grin] but am a bit tired after driving all day.

So to the times....after a string of 13.0X's at 110 i was finally able to join the 12 sec. club

I went 12.85 @ 114.3 [Big Grin] w/ a horid 2.25 60 ft.

There's a ton left in the car if i could get it to hook decent. I am very thrilled w/ the MPH.

You may not believe this but there were multiple witnesses and i have the slips but .....

I pulled my front pass headlight and w/ an identical 2.25 60ft i went from 110 mph to the 114.3 mph on the quickest run of the day. I thought it was a fluke but as an average after i pulled the light i netted a gain of 3+ mph.

Pics and timeslips to come.

[ November 20, 2004, 08:10 PM: Message edited by: TRIXSNK ]

--------------------
9 Sec EVO 9 is GONE!

New project in the works.......

91 5.0 5speed
¯
Member # 1867

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 91 5.0 5speed  Ford pictures for 91 5.0 5speed    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
thats some pretty good times. Are you stock? and were you on street tires?
TRIXSNK
¯
Member # 2844

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for TRIXSNK  Ford pictures for TRIXSNK    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by 91 5.0 5speed:
thats some pretty good times. Are you stock? and were you on street tires?

Just what you see in the sig...and yes that was on the stock F1's w/ a little VHT....shhhh [Wink] [Razz]

--------------------
9 Sec EVO 9 is GONE!

Yellow94GT
Mr. 60 FT
Member # 431

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Yellow94GT  Ford pictures for Yellow94GT  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
[Eek!] at that MPH. That is one fast stock cobra. Shoot, with some good hook and driving that thing has 11's in it already [Big Grin]

--------------------
AED

1994 GT Bucket that will likely never run
1999 SLOLEEN Twin Turbo Coyote
2008 F250 580 RWHP 1129 RWTQ

Posts: 5990 | From: Cameron Park, Ca | Registered: Sep 2001  |  :
Ghoust
¯
Member # 1289

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ghoust  Ford pictures for Ghoust    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
man that headlight removal works wonders!! I went from pulling 13s that day to a personal best of 12.65 @ 115mph!

Thanks for all your help btw patrick.

Posts: 76 | From: Hayward, CA | Registered: May 2002  |  :
1fast281
¯
Member # 4670

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 1fast281  Ford pictures for 1fast281  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Nice times, now go get a pulley and some drag radials and pull some 11's for us...

--------------------
1998 Mark VIII LSC Black/Graphite
2005 Pontiac GTO Silver/Black

Yellow94GT
Mr. 60 FT
Member # 431

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Yellow94GT  Ford pictures for Yellow94GT  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by 1fast281:
Nice times, now go get a pulley and some drag radials and pull some 11's for us...

What? Not going to call the BS flag for a stock cobra going 114? [Wink]

--------------------
AED

1994 GT Bucket that will likely never run
1999 SLOLEEN Twin Turbo Coyote
2008 F250 580 RWHP 1129 RWTQ

Posts: 5990 | From: Cameron Park, Ca | Registered: Sep 2001  |  :
TRIXSNK
¯
Member # 2844

quote:
Originally posted by Yellow94GT:
[Eek!] at that MPH. That is one fast stock cobra. Shoot, with some good hook and driving that thing has 11's in it already [Big Grin]

Thanks Drew that's what i was saying to myself when i saw the slip [Eek!]

I knew it felt fast in the car but i didn't think i would gain 4mph w/ one simple change.

I'll have the pics for you guys this aftrenoon before Monday night football....go PATRIOTS!

--------------------
9 Sec EVO 9 is GONE!

TRIXSNK
¯
Member # 2844

quote:
Originally posted by Ghoust:
man that headlight removal works wonders!! I went from pulling 13s that day to a personal best of 12.65 @ 115mph!

Thanks for all your help btw patrick.

Neeraj...i should be the one thanking you for your hospitality. Breakfast, VHT, And the use of your stuff....i kept tellin my girl how cool it was to hang with you and Tim and the rest of the guys out at Sac. [worship]

Like i said earlier i'll hope to have the pics up today.

--------------------
9 Sec EVO 9 is GONE!

TRIXSNK
¯
Member # 2844

quote:
Originally posted by 1fast281:

Actually now that i've seen what the car can do i'm going to keep it simple and go step-by-step as far as mods.

First maybe a shifter and then some sticky-icky tires and maybe an exhaust.

Hopefully then w/ some more practice i can get close to an 11 but more realistically a low-low 12 [Wink]

--------------------
9 Sec EVO 9 is GONE!

Drift-GT
¯
Member # 762

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Drift-GT  Ford pictures for Drift-GT  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Patrick, awesome times!!! Glad to see your car getting it’s grove on [dance] . Keep us posted on the lower ET’s as you increase your drag racing skillzzzzz [Smile] .

- Dana
P.S. Did that dude buy the F3?

[ November 22, 2004, 08:10 AM: Message edited by: Drift-GT ]

--------------------
- 1965 GT “K” code Mustang, RIP
- 2002 Silver GT 5 speed
- 2004 Kawasaki ZX-10R

Posts: 552 | From: Freakmont, CA U.S. of A | Registered: Jan 2002  |  :
TRIXSNK
¯
Member # 2844

quote:
Originally posted by Drift-GT:
Patrick, awesome times!!! Glad to see your car getting it’s grove on [dance] . Keep us posted on the lower ET’s as you increase your drag racing skillzzzzz [Smile] .

- Dana
P.S. Did that dude buy the F3?

I posted it on craigslist and immediatly got 4-5 replies so they are all planning on checking it out this week i hope.

They seem very eager to buy [Big Grin]

[Whoo Whooooo!] For clean low milage F3's

--------------------
9 Sec EVO 9 is GONE!

03SVTPower
CAFords OG
Member # 518

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 03SVTPower  Ford pictures for 03SVTPower    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
[Eek!] WOW nice times and MPH, i need o get back up there and pull some better 60's and take my headlight out too! Already threw some magnaflow muffs on, perhaps that might help a bit too.

[ November 22, 2004, 08:57 AM: Message edited by: 03SVTPower ]

--------------------
2003 Redfire "AED" Cobra R.I.P

TRIXSNK
¯
Member # 2844

quote:
Originally posted by 03SVTPower:
[Eek!] WOW nice times and MPH, i need o get back up there and pull some better 60's and take my headlight out too! Already threw some magnaflow muffs on, perhaps that might help a bit too.

What kins 60ft did you have?

I'll post the slips of my runs once i scan them but i ran consistent 2.2X's w/ a best of 2.18...lol

Pathetic... i know [Frown] [Razz]

--------------------
9 Sec EVO 9 is GONE!

03SVTPower
CAFords OG
Member # 518

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 03SVTPower  Ford pictures for 03SVTPower    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by TRIXSNK:
quote:

I'll post the slips of my runs once i scan them but i ran consistent 2.2X's w/ a best of 2.18...lol

best one outta my 3 runs was a 2.18....... [Embarrassed]

--------------------

TRIXSNK
¯
Member # 2844

quote:
quote:
quote:

Damn dead on the same!

Looks like we both can use some practice and maybe some good tires.

--------------------
9 Sec EVO 9 is GONE!

03SVTPower
CAFords OG
Member # 518

quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:

Damn dead on the same!

Looks like we both can use some practice and maybe some good tires.

I have 305/35/18 Nitto DR's on the rear, just didnt heat'em up good enough! [Embarrassed]

Just got back from putting a 3.10" pulley on, cant afford a tune just yet so went with a stock tune friendly pulley [Wink] WOW, boost gauge blasts past the 10lbs mark [Eek!] See how this helps out!! [Big Grin]

[ November 22, 2004, 12:37 PM: Message edited by: 03SVTPower ]

--------------------

Jeff S
¯
Member # 371

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jeff S  Ford pictures for Jeff S  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
I have 305/35/18 Nitto DR's on the rear, just didnt heat'em up good enough! [Embarrassed]

Just got back from putting a 3.10" pulley on, cant afford a tune just yet so went with a stock tune friendly pulley [Wink] WOW, boost gauge blasts past the 10lbs mark [Eek!] See how this helps out!! [Big Grin]

I'd be very careful of running that pulley without a chip. Make sure to listen VERY carefully for any sign's of detonation.

--------------------
'90 Mustang LX: 8.53 @ 157.92 w/ 1.33 60' on DR's
'10 ZR1: FOR SALE
'14 E63 S: RENNtech ECU
'04 Gallardo: UGR TTG

Posts: 2121 | From: San Jose, CA | Registered: Aug 2001  |  :
TRIXSNK
¯
Member # 2844

quote:
Originally posted by Jeff S:
quote:

I'd be very careful of running that pulley without a chip. Make sure to listen VERY carefully for any sign's of detonation.
I was told the same about that pulley size but in my opinion i would get that thing to a dyno for the A/F ratio check at the least.

--------------------
9 Sec EVO 9 is GONE!

Ghoust
¯
Member # 1289

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ghoust  Ford pictures for Ghoust    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I think the headlight taking off has to do with an open air filter in the engine bay. I had a dense charger cold air intake that put the filter in the fenderwell so it was sucking nothing but clean cold air.

But i recently installed a steeda intake which puts the filter in the engine bay. and my mph was 110 where as it was 113 before with the densecharger....

Patrick's tip put me at 115 mph because there was so much air being forced into the engine thru the headlight hole.

It was amazing.

--------------------
03 Cobra 12.6 at 115mph

Posts: 76 | From: Hayward, CA | Registered: May 2002  |  :
03SVTPower
CAFords OG
Member # 518

quote:
quote:
quote:

I was told the same about that pulley size but in my opinion i would get that thing to a dyno for the A/F ratio check at the least.
probably should go get another baseline pull to get another a/f reading, i just figured i had a bit of room from my last dyno, my a/f was off the chart at 10.0 at WOT starting around 4000 rpm, figured i should be in good shape, but perhaps i might go back and see anyway.

--------------------

Jeff S
¯
Member # 371

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jeff S  Ford pictures for Jeff S  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:

probably should go get another baseline pull to get another a/f reading, i just figured i had a bit of room from my last dyno, my a/f was off the chart at 10.0 at WOT starting around 4000 rpm, figured i should be in good shape, but perhaps i might go back and see anyway.
Adding more boost will not lean out your AF ratio if your MAF system is working properly(correct transfer function and it not reaching 5v). However, due to the fact that above a certain airflow the MAF is ignored on a 03/04 Cobra is one of the main reasons a chip is needed when using a smaller pulley(to change the value of airflow in which the MAF is ignored).

--------------------

TRIXSNK
¯
Member # 2844

quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:

Adding more boost will not lean out your AF ratio if your MAF system is working properly(correct transfer function and it not reaching 5v). However, due to the fact that above a certain airflow the MAF is ignored on a 03/04 Cobra is one of the main reasons a chip is needed when using a smaller pulley(to change the value of airflow in which the MAF is ignored).
Jeff thanks for the explanation...i always wondered how that worked...i would like to get more info from you about tuning these cars if you are willing and have the time to explain a bit one day.

[patriot]

--------------------
9 Sec EVO 9 is GONE!

JSHTROD
¯
Member # 299

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for JSHTROD  Ford pictures for JSHTROD    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:

Just to clarify... At WOT, the computer goes into closed loop mode, ignoring MAF voltage and running it's ECU tables for airflow, fuel, ect.

Adding more boost at WOT (without correcting the AFR with a chip/tune) will certainly cause a car to run lean, and destroy your motor.

[Embarrassed]

--------------------
03 Silver Cobra: UPR CAI, Full Bassani Exhaust

Posts: 137 | From: Dublin, CA | Registered: Jun 2001  |  :
Jeff S
¯
Member # 371

quote:
Originally posted by JSHTROD:
quote:

Just to clarify... At WOT, the computer goes into closed loop mode, ignoring MAF voltage and running it's ECU tables for airflow, fuel, ect.

Adding more boost at WOT (without correcting the AFR with a chip/tune) will certainly cause a car to run lean, and destroy your motor.

[Embarrassed]

Actually that is not true. At WOT the car goes open loop where the computer no longer uses the o2 sensors for correction and it uses the MAF to calculate the fuel requirements needed to attain the commanded AF ratio in the base_fuel_table.

Here is a link to some great info on the subject: http://www.modularfords.com/forums/showthread.php?t=9673

[ November 30, 2004, 01:30 PM: Message edited by: Jeff S ]

--------------------

Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com