Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Drag Racing   » Met up with the Brain last night

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: Met up with the Brain last night
AaronC
¯
Member # 86

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for AaronC  Ford pictures for AaronC    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Last night they had grudge racing at Sac. I went up there to meet with the Brain and Nitro SS and Z28Camaro. Nitro SS and Z28 never showed up but I had a good time anyway. The Brain has a REALLY nice car. Fresh paint, and convertible top etc, and a healthy motor. Just like I was afraid of, the air was terrible. The car just wouldn't cool off either. I had just run on wed and my avg mph was 98.8 and last night my best was 97.4 with a 14.07 ET. The track had some bite with was good but there just wasn't any good air. With better air I would have matched my 13.8 time again with the traction I was getting. Oh well coulda, shoulda, woulda, ya know. Well the night was goin fast cause me and Brian were chit chattin all night and they say last call. We set it up so we could run each other. We both did healthy, smoky burnouts and staged. Bam we both went out of the gate with about the same reaction and 60'. Shortly after he put a 2 spot on me and held it the rest of the way. It was a great run and his ET was a 13.1 and mine was a 13.3 (I sprayed). I'm thinkin his car has at least .8 seconds left in it with some tuning and better air. Knowing that I was about 1.5 mph off and .2 that he'd be at least that, or a little more off, and with the tuning and shift points picking up the rest. He'll be consistently in the mid 12's on DR's when it's done. Then he's gonna throw a matching blue jug in the trunk. Right, hehe.

------------------
1991 Black/Black GT Convertible

Track times:
New NA ET: 13.87 at 98 1.98 60'
14.14 @ 98 NA 2.16 60'
13.46 @104 80 shot 2.15 60'
12.96 @105.96 125 shot 2.00 60'

TheBrain
I'm the Real
John Force
Member # 35

Ford Icon 14 posted      Profile for TheBrain  Ford pictures for TheBrain    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Aaron, It was great meeting you last night, and I had a good time. What my car needs now is YOUR interior
Looks like I am going to have to wait for a bit before I hit the track on a Wednesday night though. My transmission is making a wonderful whining noise in 3rd gear !! LOL
Kinda knew that the ol' T-5 wasn't long for this world behind my 331
Then again, if I can still shift it into 3rd, I will keep running it until the gears come out of the bottom of the case

Last night you were talking about a place in Sac that charges like $60 for 3 dyno pulls, What's the name of that place? If you told me I forgot.
You really think there is another .8 left in my combo? Hell, I would settle for .2 just to get that 12 sec. timeslip.

As far as the NOS, The BLUE bottle is a must, can't open my trunk and have a color clashing bottle !!! ROFLMAO

Looking forward to hooking up with you again in the future. Might have to plan on attending the cruise at the end of the month

Talk to you later
Brian

------------------
1989 LX Ragtop.
Keith Craft 331, AFR 165 heads, GT-40 intake, 65mm TB, 76 mm C&L MAF, 30 lb injectors, 190 lph pump, Kirban Billet AFPR, FRPP spark plug wires, FRPP Rpm Extender, Goodyear Silicone hoses, MSD 6AL box, Harland Sharp Roller Rockers, TFS Stage 2 cam, JBA Shorty headers, Stock 4 cat H-pipe, AOD to T-5Z swap, Griggs in-floor frame kit, Cervini Cobra Grille, Cervini Cobra R hood, blah, blah, blah.....
New best !!! 13.2 @ 103.45 mph
I know the stock H-pipe hurt the performance
Bassani X-pipe is installed, but no times yet

Posts: 1264 | From: Back in Redding CA | Registered: Jul 2000  |  :
AaronC
¯
Member # 86

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for AaronC  Ford pictures for AaronC    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Brian,

Honestly, I think you have a lot to be gained. You have 30lb injectors and haven't tuned the car. You have no idea what shift points work best and are going by feel. Plus re-learning the car, and the 100 degree heat I think it's easy to say you could be in the 12.5-6 range with some consistency. My car feels DEAD coming out of the hole on hot nights and my ET is always more off than the MPH. so if I loose 1 mph I usually loose .15 ET or close to it. I mentioned to you about my friends Z28 which ran 13.06 at 107.5 2 months ago. 2 weeks later it ran a best of 13.75 at 102.5-103.5 in the heat and with 60's that were .2 slower. That's .7 seconds with the exact same car but with different conditions. Your car WILL come around. The shop that dyno's the car is called Hot Rod Heaven. The guy's name is Ralph Gobel and he's over on www.norcal-ls1.com. He's a great guy. 60 bucks for 3 pulls and 20 more for A/F ratio readings. I'd like to dyno my car soon too as well as another friend. Maybe we could setup a dyno day there. He also does nitrous refills cheap too. Just let me know when you can make it out on a wed. night. I will most definitely go when you're there. Also I gotta see those races in Redding. ROTFLMAO, VHT the street! That was good humor!

Take care,

Aaron

TheBrain
I'm the Real
John Force
Member # 35

Ford Icon 9 posted      Profile for TheBrain  Ford pictures for TheBrain    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Aaron,
Like I said, my T-5 wasn't long for this world.
Up in Redding this weekend I was giving a fellow 'stanger a ride, hit 2nd gear PERFECT, shifted into third gear and BLAM
Game over !!!! Had my sister bring my spare "emergency" T-5 up from home and got home.Took the tranny apart and found 3 damaged teeth on the 3rd gear main shaft and 3/4 of the teeth missing from the 3rd gear sprocket on the cluster.

Now I am in the market for a transmission that can handle the power of my engine (and the thrashing that I put my transmissions through)

Hope to get it up to the track in about a month or so

Brian

AaronC
¯
Member # 86

Brian,

That sucks! Maybe it's been robbing you power? What kind of tranny you looking at? So far mine's been good to me (knock on wood) but I need to start looking into a new one. The day WILL come when I need one too. Hopefully it won't be for a while though. Any luck with the chip? You might want to look up JMS chips. If you got your car dynoed and sent them a copy with A/F ratio's etc they'd send you out like 5 chips and you could re dyno and find out which one works best. Let me know how the progress comes along.

Aaron

TheBrain
I'm the Real
John Force
Member # 35

Ford Icon 8 posted      Profile for TheBrain  Ford pictures for TheBrain    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Well, I talked to a friend of mine today and he had a T-5 out of his 93 Cobra for sale (which I bought) for $400
Not exactly the tranny I wanted (I have destroyed 7 T-5's over the years)
I'll install it tomorrow after work.
I was thinking about getting Tremec TKO, but the more I think about it, the more I am swaying towards a manual valve body AOD or C-4 w/3000-3500 stall
BTW, I really think that the 3.35 first gear of my "emergency" T-5 will help my 60ft times out a bit. Seems to pull MUCH harder off the line than the 2.95 first gear of my T-5z box (Although it grinds into second and third gear is VERY notchy, which I why I took it out in the first place)

When do you think you are going to go the the dyno place? I REALLY need to get my car dyno to figure out shift points etc....
Let me know when and where and I will be there !!!

My weekends are pretty much booked for the next 3 weeks, (helping a frined move into his new house) but will GLADLY change my plans to get the car dyno'd

Talk to you later
Brian

Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com