Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Drag Racing   » LIARS at the track! (Page 1)

- Email this post to someone!   Page: 1  2   
Author Topic: LIARS at the track!
Stimson
_
Member # 51

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Stimson  Ford pictures for Stimson    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Whats up with these truth extenders at the track? I heard some pretty funny tall tales last night! A guy with a turbo'd AWD truck and a lot of boost claiming to run low 15's... ending up running high 12's at a pathetic MPH. By the way he was bull shitting me (street racers style) I would have at least expect 11's at over 120 mph from that truck! Another funny story is a "10 second Camaro's" I heard about.... yet the Camaro owner doesn't own a 10 second timemslip... i'm still figuring out how that one works. Another favorite of mine is the "subtracting" timeslips trick... Here is an example of how it works.... Hmmm, I ran a 13.2@105 mph with a 2.3 60 ft. How ever next pass I missed a gear on a 2.00 60 ft run and ran 14.0@100 mph.... Subracting .300 seconds from that run's 60 ft from my best ET of 13.2 will make my car a 12.9 second car! Wow, I have a 12 second car, yet don't own a 12 second timeslip..... I love this kind of "drag math"!!!!

Did anyone else hear any fishy or funny stories they'd like to share?

-Sawson

F8LPONY
NORCAL-LS1
Member # 11

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for F8LPONY  Ford pictures for F8LPONY    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I didnt see anyone blatantly lying but then again I didnt talk to that many people :(

The only Camaro that I know of that should run 10's were not even there since both cars are in the process of changing trannies and such. There is a convertable LT1 that I KNOW has tons of power but I dont think he runs all that fast. Its unfortunate that Ben could not run his car either, I really wanted to see that sucker run..

Posts: 1292 | From: Sacramento, CA. | Registered: Aug 2000
Stimson
_
Member # 51

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Stimson  Ford pictures for Stimson    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Ohhh, I forgot about the best guy! While at the gas station going home some guys want to race the yellow cobra! He claimed he had a '90 Saleen at home that would whoop the Cobra! He didn't even want to know what mods the Cobra had done, he knew his Saleen could beat it! He wanted us to wait for him while he went and got it! Heh, little did he know I have a Top Fuel drag car in my garage (yeah, I had to extend the garage to make it fit!). I love gas station racers!

Fastest Camaro I saw that night was a red one with ET streets and black stripes on the sides to make it look like a Ferrari. I saw it run 11.6@123.5, I wonder what engine mods it had and how much spray!

Saddest stang I saw was a new GT with a blower running 14.4@100, I wonder what his problem was?

About the turbo GT, why didn't it run? Too many people around to see his ET/MPH? :) I saw it heating up the tires on its way to the pits, it sounded healthy! As he was leaving, I didn't get a clear veiw, but it looked like it kicked out the ramps while getting on the trailor and slammed its frame on the back of the trailor! ouch!

F8LPONY
NORCAL-LS1
Member # 11

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for F8LPONY  Ford pictures for F8LPONY    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Are you talkin about the maroonish/red LX that was out there?

The Blue/grey Turbo GT never ran, his trubo took a dump on him, the impeller was tapping the housing so he didnt wanna run it and hurt anything, Bens car is 9sec ccapable though (I felt sorry for the LS1's when I saw him show up).

Did you see the S351 Saleen running 14's? I wonder if it was his first time at the track or if something was wrong.
The Maroon car is all motor and his best pass that I was told by Ben was a 10.97, he didnt mention the MPH though. Either way that kicks butt for N/A....

OutlawZ
The OutlawZ
Member # 24

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for OutlawZ  Ford pictures for OutlawZ    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
The red 97 is Dave Mills car. It has a Lingenfelter 383, it's totally smog legal all the way down to the cats and he runs a custom built NOS plate system jetted for 150 horsepower. Regardless of what mods he has on the car he still whipped 95% of everyone else right??? And that car weighs a ton seeing as how it's a drop top and all.... I personally agree with you that for the money paid for the motor that it doesn't run nearly what it should..... He belted out 530 RWHP on a dyno and 550 RWTQ and I only would have believed it if I was there. I was....
OutlawZ
The OutlawZ
Member # 24

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for OutlawZ  Ford pictures for OutlawZ    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Oh and the 10 second camaro that you spoke about is Jeff Stevens "Green Monster" that wasn't there because he's waiting on new injectors. And he does own a 10 second timeslip. 10.87@132 to be more accurate.... And it was at Sacto, in 92 degree weather.
F8LPONY
NORCAL-LS1
Member # 11

Boy you come in all kinds of lfavros dont you? LOL

I wish my car sounded like Daves :)

Stimson
_
Member # 51

No, I wasn't talking about the maroon LX. I didn't know it was all motor though, I just saw it make one pass in the 11's. Is it a 302?

The blue turbo GT is the one that looked like it kicked out the ramps as it was going up the trailor.

About the 14 second Saleen S351.... thats Chris, we all caravaned up there together... I'm not sure if it was his 1st time or not, but you're right, he's not the best T56 driver based on what I saw. I think his best pass of the night was a 13.3@117. Going from memory- that car has made 440 RWHP at around 5000ish RPM (Fuel delivery problems)

Marshall Mathers, I mean Veteklr, I mean OutlawZ....the 10 second Camaro this guy was talking about was a LS1. I think I know that 10 second green camaro you're talking about, very fast car. Isn't this his 3rd motor? I remember him running 11's last year ( I believe on a different motor) What does he have under the hood now? Oh yeah, I think the red 97 beat everything non trailored that night (he drove the car there right?) In fact "Youl Luz" was the only car to break 120 mph that night until that red 97 pulled up! Nitrous motors are good for being drivable on the street and a terror on the track, they don't have all the drivability and mechanical issues high horsepower boosted car have.

youl luz
¯
Member # 53

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for youl luz  Ford pictures for youl luz  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
well there was 2 s-351 out there last night.. my friend had the red drop-top..
was his 1st time at the track. ran a best of 13.3@ 117mph !! hahaha.. as you can tell he's a really good driver !!! :O)
he'll be back on some drag radials to run in the mid 12s next time..

gabriel

Posts: 1663 | From: bay area/SAC cali. | Registered: Jun 2000
F8LPONY
NORCAL-LS1
Member # 11

Cool deal.. I am glad his car actually is faster than that so I can tell my LS1 buds why he was so slow (for what he had, see st5150, I'm catching on) we all just figured it was his first time out. Very nice cars though.

I'll ask Ben about the trailer thing, I missed that part...

The maroon car that was all motor was a 347, I didnt ask what the compression was though. But the damn thing weighs 2800 with the 200lb lookin guy in it so its definately light. :)

Hey Gabriel, is your car a Yellow coupe, or LX? and did you ever make a 12sec pass that night? Just wondering because one of my buddies was complaining about getting whopped by a yellow SC car that totally spanked his 97 LT1..

youl luz
¯
Member # 53

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for youl luz  Ford pictures for youl luz  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
f8lpony..my car is a cobra convertible ...not the old style car..
i ran 12.00s at 120mph all night long w/ like 2.0s 60-foots.look at the front of 98cobra.com and my cars picture is up there..
oh i think i remember that lt-1 :O)..
gabriel

F8LPONY
NORCAL-LS1
Member # 11

LOL... I think it was you that beat him... I thought it was either an LX or some kind of vert, he didnt really get a good look at ya cuz you were going to fast... Hhahaha

Nice car bro..

LPEdave
Member # 19

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for LPEdave  Ford pictures for LPEdave  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Hi guys, red LT1 Z28 convertible dude here...

Sounds like youl luz and I may have been the fast street cars of the night, is that true? Two convertibles? Who'd a thunk it? :)

I had a good time, but since my wife was out there (she NEVER comes to the track) I wanted to spend the time with her and didn't get to meet many folks. It was good to see all those cars out there, though, and plenty of new folks, too. I managed to get a 11.58@123.8 as my best for the night, on my last pass.

Thanks to everyone for coming out and making it a good event!

Dave

90GT
¯
Member # 3

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 90GT  Ford pictures for 90GT    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
There was a dark blue 90 LX that ran a 12.05 @ 121.84, in case you missed it, that was driven to and from the track.
youl luz
¯
Member # 53

f8lpony.. thanks..i kinds felt bad for your friend..
LPEdave.. kinda funny how things work out.and i thought i was the only REAL street car running on saturday...next time im out i hope to have my combo
down better so i can have something to run with you... what kinda 60-foots were you running ? i had shit all night..

gabriel

LPEdave
Member # 19

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for LPEdave  Ford pictures for LPEdave  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
My best 60' of the night was 1.77, that pass was on a 1.80 60', fairly decent for my car. The suspension's more setup for roadracing, so my best 60' ever has been 1.68. Of course I'd like it to be better than that, but not many f-body folks are getting there without some fairly radical changes that affect handling. I want to keep the car multi-purpose - sounds like you do too.

I'll be ready for next time!

Dave

Stimson
_
Member # 51

90GT- What did that LX have done to it? Maybe you can ask him to post his mods here. I love LX's, they go so un-noticed. I swear my car never gets a second look now that I don't run noisemasters, I mean flowmasters!
90GT
¯
Member # 3

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 90GT  Ford pictures for 90GT    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I messed up it's a 91 LX, but it is a 306 with Edelbrock heads, downs intake, and an s-trim (11-12 lbs).
OutlawZ
The OutlawZ
Member # 24

AFAIK, there is no 10 second LS1 cars in the norcal area. There are two that are VERY close, one is a purple camaro and the other is a silver trans-am... Ones an MTI stroker with NOS and the other is a stock bottom end LS1 with ARE heads/cam and nitrous. The camaro has gone 125 or 126 and so has the trans-am so the real issue keeping them away from the 10's is either in launching or tuning. The only green LS1 camaro that I know of that was even close to running 10's (well not really as he is slower than I am) was this old guy with a cane that had a bone stock LS1 with headers and some other bolt ons and had a WAAAAAY sweet Pat Musi direct port nitrous system. The guy looks like he's 80 years old and I'm surprised he doesn't keel over and die during a high 11 second pass (best pass I saw or heard about was an 11.7x@119 or so)
But other than that the only VERIFIED 10 second 4th gen is LJ's green car. It's not his third motor unless you consider the motor it came with as the first. The motor was built by Blackstone (the first round of mods) It was a 351 (forget how that happened but I think it was a .010 over on the block) that used stock rods and a magged and polished stock LT1 crank with some low compression slugs (LT1's use 10.4:1 compression hyperutectics stock so more than 6psi of boost will destroy your engine) and he had some blackstone ported heads, big throttle body, and his Vortech supercharger was cranking 10 lbs of boost. His best pass before the "accident" was 11.28@128mph. He also kept twisting driveshaft yokes and doing random T56 damage before the big problem at the end of last season. Three rods decided they didn't want to ride any longer so they came apart and shot through the oil pan 3/4 downtrack. Oil and coolant went everywhere and when they took the heads off the car 4 pistons were turned 90 degrees in their respective cylinders! It was ugly. So now Blackstone redid the motor to a 383 from what I'm told and he's running forged everything, more boost (I'm told 12 or 14psi) and a Vortech aftercooler. He's also running long tubes and some kind of snazzy valvetrain that's never been tried before that Blackstone needed to order specially for the car. That's all I know. Best pass so far was 10.87@132. He had to do some minor work but now the car is running again and he apparently run it at Sacto very soon and feels a 10.50 or better will be garnered. I'm thinking he's right with a 132MPH trap speed!!!!! That's damn fast.
youl luz: Yeah you're right with 120+ trap speeds you're losing a whole lot of time out of the hole and then charging hard at the top end but by then the race will be over with a hard launching car that still comes on up top. I know you like keeping it a street car but why not run some small slicks like 26x10 ET Drags???? You can still call it a street car even if you run slicks. Or get some ET Streets for that matter. If you can crank off a 1.8 short which at your power level shouldn't be hard you could run an 11.60 or better. I crack low 1.6's to high 1.5's with a 4500RPM launch and I run 122 in the 1/4 so you're not that far off from my power levels.....

Stimson
_
Member # 51

"...I run 122 in the 1/4 so you're not that far off from my power levels....."

Actually isn't your car a bit of a light weight/stripper? (No interior, bumper, ect?) Power to weight ratio is a big issue. What RWHP numbers did you pull on the dyno? That convertable is a pig and needs some power to get down the track.

youl luz
¯
Member # 53

thanks for reminding me how fat my pig is..
i almost forgot .. lol

gabriel

OutlawZ
The OutlawZ
Member # 24

My car weighs 3450 with me in it so I wouldn't call it a stripper. It's a 1LE Camaro which means it has no A/C and manual door locks and windows. My car put out 442 horsepower to the wheels and 585 ft lbs of torque to the wheels. It probably weighs almost as much as a convertible Mustang cause I think F-bodies are slightly bigger (wider)... What does a vert stang weigh??? My car is fast cause of torque and the fat torque curve that an LT1 plus nitrous gives. I think the dyno sheet showed that at the wheels I made over 500 ft lbs from 2600-4700 RPM's. That is why it gets down and boogies. But as far as being lightweight, uhh, no. Maybe lighter than some camaro's but by no means is it 64 Nova territory or even LX Mustang territory...
OutlawZ
The OutlawZ
Member # 24

Oh I didn't answer one question, NO INTERIOR??? Hell no. My car sees regular street duty and I even carry my kid around in the back in his car seat. Don't know where that rumor got started. You can check out some pics of the car on my website if you feel like it at

http://hometown.aol.com/outlawz2895/myhomepage/profile.html

I'm gonna get some more pics up on there of my friends cars also so check back often for updates. Some of the links at the bottom don't work cause i haven't setup the pages yet but other than that it's a nice page. I'm also gonna get some timeslips and put them on a seperate car/pics page. It's under construction but the main page is done.

F8LPONY
NORCAL-LS1
Member # 11

http://hometown.aol.com/outlawz2895/myhomepage/profile.html

OutlawZ
The OutlawZ
Member # 24

Thanks F8L... Dunno why it didn't hyperlink my text. It usually does on some webboards... Did you highlight it and do it manually????

Page: 1  2   
Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com