Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » General Talk   » Gettting a car back in the dmv system

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: Gettting a car back in the dmv system
Boss 327
¯
Member # 9143

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Boss 327  Ford pictures for Boss 327    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
So I'm close to getting my cobra back out on the road and I wondering what to do about dmv. I never put the car on non op when I stopped driving it and my tags are from May 2013.

I've read the dmv checklist and everything seems pretty clear but what do they look for when doing a vehicle verification? Is it just to make sure it has all the vins? Do they look for anything else that might not be "street legal"?Also with regards to smog, I had the car registered in a smog exempt county. Do I still have to get it smogged or am I still exempt?

[ 2019-11-11, 11:58 AM: Message edited by: Boss 327 ]

--------------------
"You'll never truly understand building engines until you can make power N/A. FI overshadows an engines defficiency." Al Papito

KINGROY
¯
Member # 7736

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for KINGROY  Ford pictures for KINGROY    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I let my car sit from 2016 to now. Didn’t register it or nothing. When I went to get tags, I just had to pay for all the back years and get a smog. Within the week I was legal.

--------------------
2003 Cobra Vert
2005 Prius

Posts: 1642 | From: Vallejo, CA | Registered: Jun 2007  |  :
Boss 327
¯
Member # 9143

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Boss 327  Ford pictures for Boss 327    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by KINGROY:
I let my car sit from 2016 to now. Didn’t register it or nothing. When I went to get tags, I just had to pay for all the back years and get a smog. Within the week I was legal.

Thanks for the response. I read that anything over 4yrs and you have to jump through hoops, so I might be sol but we'll see. I'm just happy about getting it running again. It's been too long.

--------------------
"You'll never truly understand building engines until you can make power N/A. FI overshadows an engines defficiency." Al Papito

Saleen9675
¯
Member # 9207

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Saleen9675  Ford pictures for Saleen9675    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I hadn't registered my car in over 6 years. I went to the DMV and ask that I wanted a moving permit so I can have my car smogged. I asked what the fees were and it was an outrages charge. I told them that I had put my car in Non-op but the clerk stated that they didn't have a record of it. I spoke to a DMV manager and told him I would pay the Non-op fee which was $35 or so. I then got my car smogged and went back to the DMV and paid my yearly fee with no issues. GOOD Luck!
Boss 327
¯
Member # 9143

quote:
Originally posted by Saleen9675:
I hadn't registered my car in over 6 years. I went to the DMV and ask that I wanted a moving permit so I can have my car smogged. I asked what the fees were and it was an outrages charge. I told them that I had put my car in Non-op but the clerk stated that they didn't have a record of it. I spoke to a DMV manager and told him I would pay the Non-op fee which was $35 or so. I then got my car smogged and went back to the DMV and paid my yearly fee with no issues. GOOD Luck!

Thanks. How much were they trying to charge you?

--------------------

Saleen9675
¯
Member # 9207

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Saleen9675  Ford pictures for Saleen9675    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I think it was around $580
Boss 327
¯
Member # 9143

quote:
Originally posted by Saleen9675:
I think it was around $580

That's not as bad as I was thinking but still ridiculous. I'm going to try what you did if they hit me with a crazy fee.

Thanks for the help. [patriot]

--------------------

70stang351w
¯
Member # 9948

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 70stang351w  Ford pictures for 70stang351w    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Know if after 10years car is out of system? My 1970 has been sitting that long almost..

--------------------
1996 GT VERT /32v MOD - SOLD
1970 Mustang Coupe M-Code 351w

NEIGHT
¯
Member # 8741

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for NEIGHT  Ford pictures for NEIGHT    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
When I did a vin verification at the dmv when I registered my drop here in California from Washington all they looked for was for like 3-4 vins. Windshield, front fender, door and trunk, my car is bone stock so it didn’t seem like they cared about anything else.

--------------------
-Savage Habits-
1992 Summer Edition
1986 Hatch- catfish killer
1964 Impala hard top

Posts: 18528 | From: EA$T $IDE REDWOOD CITY | Registered: Nov 2008  |  :
Boss 327
¯
Member # 9143

quote:
Originally posted by NEIGHT:
When I did a vin verification at the dmv when I registered my drop here in California from Washington all they looked for was for like 3-4 vins. Windshield, front fender, door and trunk, my car is bone stock so it didn’t seem like they cared about anything else.

Ok, cool. My car still has all it's body vins. I hope they don't start questioning things like the tubular k, big and littles, lack of any accessory in the engine bay, things like that.

--------------------

NEIGHT
¯
Member # 8741

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for NEIGHT  Ford pictures for NEIGHT    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by Boss 327:
quote:
Originally posted by NEIGHT:

Ok, cool. My car still has all it's body vins. I hope they don't start questioning things like the tubular k, big and littles, lack of any accessory in the engine bay, things like that.
Well if you’re lucky like me you’ll get a lady that doesn’t know a damn thing about cars just where the VINs are.

--------------------
-Savage Habits-
1992 Summer Edition
1986 Hatch- catfish killer
1964 Impala hard top

Posts: 18528 | From: EA$T $IDE REDWOOD CITY | Registered: Nov 2008  |  :

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com