Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » General Talk   » New exhaust law (Page 2)

- Email this post to someone!   Page: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: New exhaust law
adower
¯
Member # 5955

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for adower  Ford pictures for adower    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by AL STOCK:
Get a mild to wild switch

It’s still illegal. The law says you cannot have a bypass. When you go to BAR they will catch it.

--------------------
98 Cobra
Griggs
S Trim
HRE

SIC9250
¯
Member # 8216

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for SIC9250  Ford pictures for SIC9250    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
My question is about BAR/REF and if that has a fine that can be paid to avoid going at all??..Or is your vin tagged or thrown on a incompliance list from DMV for registration renewal until you pass BAR or something else along those lines??..I would pay the $1000 for the modified exhaust,it is what it is,I live where I live and not moving out of the state because these sorry asses don’t like how my car sounds,not gonna let the state dictate my mods to my cars and how I go about my passion for horsepower,but if the car gets tagged and cannot be legally driven on the street because it won’t pass BAR that’s an issue.Would be fucked for a guy who say has a twin screw cobra with a full fuel system and full exhaust to bring his car to legal compliance and cannot do the wrench time himself, in order to keep the car on the road,I’m sure he would just pay out his ass in fines to avoid that I know I would,sounds stupid but my headers are staying on my car fuck you California [patriot]

[ 2019-01-13, 12:45 PM: Message edited by: SIC9250 ]

--------------------
Coyote_Mach1

Posts: 6959 | From: in the drivers seat. | Registered: Feb 2008  |  :
adower
¯
Member # 5955

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for adower  Ford pictures for adower    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by SIC9250:
My question is about BAR/REF and if that has a fine that can be paid to avoid going at all??..Or is your vin tagged or thrown on a incompliance list from DMV for registration renewal until you pass BAR or something else along those lines??..I would pay the $1000 for the modified exhaust,it is what it is,I live where I live and not moving out of the state because these sorry asses don’t like how my car sounds,not gonna let the state dictate my mods to my cars and how I go about my passion for horsepower,but if the car gets tagged and cannot be legally driven on the street because it won’t pass BAR that’s an issue.Would be fucked for a guy who say has a twin screw cobra with a full fuel system and full exhaust to bring his car to legal compliance and cannot do the wrench time himself, in order to keep the car on the road,I’m sure he would just pay out his ass in fines to avoid that I know I would,sounds stupid but my headers are staying on my car fuck you California [patriot]

If you get the ticket you must go to BAR. No if ands or buts.

--------------------
98 Cobra
Griggs
S Trim
HRE

sic70stang
CAFords OG
Member # 4347

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for sic70stang  Ford pictures for sic70stang    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
https://www.semasan.com/legislative-alerts/california/fact-vs-fiction-californias-new-exhaust-noise-law

--------------------
The anti-crew
1987 rolling safety violation.

Posts: 6940 | From: California | Registered: Jul 2005  |  :
SIC9250
¯
Member # 8216

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for SIC9250  Ford pictures for SIC9250    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by adower:
quote:

If you get the ticket you must go to BAR. No if ands or buts.
Ok...I get that,but what I’m saying is if you refuse to make your car idle at 95db can you get slapped with a fine for not passing BAR and move on with life or does not complying risk keeping your car on the road? I ask this because in 2007 I got a BAR ticket in my notchback for a cold air intake and headers,I returned the car to stock exhaust and air box etc but it wouldn’t pass the BARs sniffer 2 separate times so I said the hell with it and just paid $800-ish through the court and moved on.I know plenty of cars in this state that will not comply,they almost simply can’t without costing an arm and a leg,gotta be an option to pay a fine for not getting the car to the states regulation,they can’t keep the car off the road can they?

[ 2019-01-13, 04:45 PM: Message edited by: SIC9250 ]

--------------------
Coyote_Mach1

SIC9250
¯
Member # 8216

[ 2019-01-13, 04:47 PM: Message edited by: SIC9250 ]

--------------------
Coyote_Mach1

Martinna
¯
Member # 12493

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Martinna  Ford pictures for Martinna        Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
SIC9250 ----- how did the cops get you for a cold air and headers? Shouldn't CARB stickers be enough for the cops?
SIC9250
¯
Member # 8216

quote:
Originally posted by Martinna:
SIC9250 ----- how did the cops get you for a cold air and headers? Shouldn't CARB stickers be enough for the cops?

At the time I had bolt ons,my bbk intake did not have a sticker on it,i bought it used and it was not present,same with my bassani shorty headers no carb, so the cop sent me to ref(pulled me over for exhaust rolling down sunrise blvd 3pm on a weekday) when I went the first time I threw cats on the car and manifolds with a stock air box (bbk and bassani would not send carb stickers as I was not the original purchaser is was very irritating) and it wouldn’t pass the sniffer which was all apart of getting the car corrected for court (and NO it wasn’t just a easy as putting different mufflers on the car and cats for a DB reading they wanted a full inspection,DB compliance AND emissions test) I went home played with a few things and ofcourse typical fox it didn’t pass the 2nd time so I said fuck it and paid the full fine it was about $1200 total,the exhaust fee was only $400 ish the fine for not passing REF was $800 ish..Just hope In case this happens and ref comes along again that things haven’t changed and I can just pay up and not put a wrench on my car.

[ 2019-01-13, 09:31 PM: Message edited by: SIC9250 ]

--------------------
Coyote_Mach1

adower
¯
Member # 5955

Shit, there should just be an option that you pay more at registration if you don’t want to abide by smog laws. I know I’d pay a premium to not worry about emissions.

--------------------
98 Cobra
Griggs
S Trim
HRE

Martinna
¯
Member # 12493

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Martinna  Ford pictures for Martinna        Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
quote:

At the time I had bolt ons,my bbk intake did not have a sticker on it,i bought it used and it was not present,same with my bassani shorty headers no carb, so the cop sent me to ref(pulled me over for exhaust rolling down sunrise blvd 3pm on a weekday) when I went the first time I threw cats on the car and manifolds with a stock air box (bbk and bassani would not send carb stickers as I was not the original purchaser is was very irritating) and it wouldn’t pass the sniffer which was all apart of getting the car corrected for court (and NO it wasn’t just a easy as putting different mufflers on the car and cats for a DB reading they wanted a full inspection,DB compliance AND emissions test) I went home played with a few things and ofcourse typical fox it didn’t pass the 2nd time so I said fuck it and paid the full fine it was about $1200 total,the exhaust fee was only $400 ish the fine for not passing REF was $800 ish..Just hope In case this happens and ref comes along again that things haven’t changed and I can just pay up and not put a wrench on my car.
Sad to hear so many stories like yours. I've heard of people printing stickers themselves from pictures taken of the originals. Setting your timing to 13 degrees base and using a SPOUT connector with one metal contact removed to prevent the computer from advancing timing would have allowed your car to pass the smog test with no trouble. A lot of Ford cars from the 1980s used spout connectors. Find one in the junk yard and gut its pin to have your own special guaranteed to pass smog spout. Loan the spout to your friends when you're done.
SIC9250
¯
Member # 8216

Lol yes that’s an old school trick and I had that done at the time and it still wouldn’t pass,prob needed better cats,just another reason why I was done with foxbodys and moved on to 32v powered cars..
racsirx
CAFords OG
Member # 1710

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for racsirx  Ford pictures for racsirx    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by adower:
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by sic70stang:

Consumers in receipt of a violation still have the option of seeking a certificate of compliance from the California Bureau of Automotive Repair (BAR) demonstrating that their exhaust emits no more than 95-decibels. This SEMA-sponsored program allows courts to dismiss citations for exhaust systems that have been tested and for which a certificate of compliance has been issued."

Does this mean people put quiet exhaust back on their car and get a certificate of compliance from BAR? When a California cop pulls you over, you show them the certificate so the cop will have to think up of a new crime to fine you for?
From what I’ve read the cop just needs to think your car is loud. From there you have to take it to bar and prove it’s under the 95 dB level. I’ve read a post that a guy in a stock m4 got a ticket and his stock exhaust is over 95 DB. He took it to court with proof from bar that it was stock but still had to pay a 1k fine.
I was wondering if stock cars could get busted, my stock GT350 is rated 92 DB, but seems louder than 92 DB, but it always has a switch for the exhaust from the factory so isn’t that illegal for California also?

--------------------
88 Saleen #564
88 GT 331 NOVI2000
88 Coupe TURBO 9.75@142
95 Cobra R #75-SOLD
06 F250
13 BMW AH3
17 GT350 #5556
GOD'S NOT DEAD

Posts: 20750 | From: Concord & Pittsburg, CA | Registered: Aug 2002  |  :
hidnn0s
¯
Member # 13845

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for hidnn0s  Ford pictures for hidnn0s    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by racsirx:
I was wondering if stock cars could get busted, my stock GT350 is rated 92 DB, but seems louder than 92 DB, but it always has a switch for the exhaust from the factory so isn’t that illegal for California also?

I'm curious about the new GT500's, they sound much louder from the videos posted
SIC9250
¯
Member # 8216

Customer of mine I built a 04 cobra for with a VMP 2.3/JBA headers/JLT intake/No cats/bassani catback,just got a state ref ticket for modified exhaust/intake/supercharger,he walked into court today,told them he was not getting the ticket written off by state referee and would like to just pay the fine,the clerk told him his fine would be reduced and he declined again,she sent him into the courtroom and he showed the judge a couple carb numbers for his headers and jlt intake and told the judge he declined getting the car referred,he walk out paying $680 and his car will stay modded..My question was answered, it is not in concrete and a must do to go to referee with your car,pay to play and stay loud fellas,welcome to Cali [patriot]

--------------------
Coyote_Mach1

adower
¯
Member # 5955

quote:
Customer of mine I built a 04 cobra for with a VMP 2.3/JBA headers/JLT intake/No cats/bassani catback,just got a state ref ticket for modified exhaust/intake/supercharger,he walked into court today,told them he was not getting the ticket written off by state referee and would like to just pay the fine,the clerk told him his fine would be reduced and he declined again,she sent him into the courtroom and he showed the judge a couple carb numbers for his headers and jlt intake and told the judge he declined getting the car referred,he walk out paying $680 and his car will stay modded..My question was answered, it is not in concrete and a must do to go to referee with your car,pay to play and stay loud fellas,welcome to Cali [patriot]

Shit I’m down with that! I’d rather pay than fix it.

--------------------
98 Cobra
Griggs
S Trim
HRE

DeleteThisAccount
¯
Member # 94

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for DeleteThisAccount  Ford pictures for DeleteThisAccount    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
quote:
quote:

Sad to hear so many stories like yours. I've heard of people printing stickers themselves from pictures taken of the originals. Setting your timing to 13 degrees base and using a SPOUT connector with one metal contact removed to prevent the computer from advancing timing would have allowed your car to pass the smog test with no trouble. A lot of Ford cars from the 1980s used spout connectors. Find one in the junk yard and gut its pin to have your own special guaranteed to pass smog spout. Loan the spout to your friends when you're done.
The spout only completes the circuit. Taking it out is the same thing as trying to "modify" it to only have one prong.. lmfao.

Who the fuck told you that gay shit?

And nope.. you're wrong. You set your shit to 13* they will fail you. That isn't factory.. I literally just went through all this.

At least, if you go to a shop that's supposed to follow the law.. anyways.

[ 2019-03-08, 10:32 PM: Message edited by: Blown93Snake ]

97cobra209
¯
Member # 11376

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 97cobra209  Ford pictures for 97cobra209    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I wonder if your liable to get towed say after 2-3 times being pulled over and then would y’all really be paying every time you take your car out $6-800 that just doesn’t make sense.

--------------------
2011 GT/CS 5.0

Boss 327
¯
Member # 9143

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Boss 327  Ford pictures for Boss 327    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by 97cobra209:
I wonder if your liable to get towed say after 2-3 times being pulled over and then would y’all really be paying every time you take your car out $6-800 that just doesn’t make sense.

Cali: c.r.e.a.m.

[ 2019-03-11, 05:41 PM: Message edited by: Boss 327 ]

--------------------
"You'll never truly understand building engines until you can make power N/A. FI overshadows an engines defficiency." Al Papito

Javier
¯
Member # 547

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Javier  Ford pictures for Javier    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I just ordered my Flowmaster outlaw exhaust and scavenger X pipe, so let's see how that goes.
Martinna
¯
Member # 12493

quote:
Originally posted by Blown93Snake:
The spout only completes the circuit. Taking it out is the same thing as trying to "modify" it to only have one prong.. lmfao.

Who the fuck told you that gay shit?

And nope.. you're wrong. You set your shit to 13* they will fail you. That isn't factory.. I literally just went through all this.

At least, if you go to a shop that's supposed to follow the law.. anyways.

The tech takes out the spout for the timing test. If you don't have a spout at all, you fail the test. You take out a pin to cripple it and make it a fake connector that allows the tech to think the spout system is working.

Plus and minus 3 degrees from the stock 10 degrees base timing is what the book says is allowed for 1986 to 1995 GTs. With fake spout connector lock the timing at 13 degrees to significantly lower your nitrogen-monoxide and hydrocarbon emissions. Almost any car that gives no computer error codes will pass smog using this technique.

BUKSING
¯
Member # 6594

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for BUKSING  Ford pictures for BUKSING    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Getting closer:

https://www.change.org/p/nullify-fines-for-loud-mufflers-ab-1824-section-4-in-california/u/24344644?cs_tk=As4k6OlD_chFN9dlnlwAAXicyyvNyQEABF8BvMU-hX7E03fqoyoLOJNqWa4%3D&utm_campaig n=13b81065852f45eb839f2639a43310ba&utm_medium=email&utm_source=petition_update&utm_term=cs

70stang351w
¯
Member # 9948

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 70stang351w  Ford pictures for 70stang351w    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Back to a fix it ticket

--------------------
1996 GT VERT /32v MOD - SOLD
1970 Mustang Coupe M-Code 351w

Mr.10psi
¯
Member # 11062

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mr.10psi  Ford pictures for Mr.10psi  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
are you sure its just a fix it ticket now?

--------------------
02 white saleen(sold) 347 stroker in the works

El Caballo
¯
Member # 6355

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for El Caballo  Ford pictures for El Caballo    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
https://www.change.org/p/nullify-fines-for-loud-mufflers-ab-1824-section-4-in-california/u/25156459?cs_tk=AsfF5W8nAEdTN0TUm10AAXicyyvNyQEABF8BvKc_dqgy2BA11OsSyvaKH8U%3D&utm_campaig n=9bee566880364c099afe614d190bdf14&utm_medium=email&utm_source=petition_update&utm_term=cs
Camaro Kid Z/28
¯
Member # 3100

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Camaro Kid Z/28  Ford pictures for Camaro Kid Z/28    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
https://www.aftermarketnews.com/california-bill-to-amend-2018-exhaust-noise-law-signed-by-governor/

[Whoo Whooooo!] [burnout] [Cool] [Smile] [Big Grin]

--------------------
1973 Camaro Z/28(clone)
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2649130
"4-eyes forever essay!"

Page: 1  2  3   
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com