Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  


Post New Topic  New Poll  Post a Ford message board Reply
read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » General Talk   » New exhaust law (Page 1)

 - Email this post to someone!   Page: 1  2   
Author Topic: New exhaust law
adower
¯
Member # 5955

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for adower  Ford pictures for adower    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Have y’all read the new exhaust law that went into effect Jan 19? If your exhaust is over 95db it’s now a 1000$ fine and a trip to BAR. No more fix it ticket. Goes for motorcycles as well.

Only people that got off are old schools and vehicles over 6k in weight.

That’s some bs if I’ve ever seen it.

[ 2019-01-09, 04:39 PM: Message edited by: adower ]

--------------------
98 Cobra
Griggs
S Trim
HRE

Posts: 3235 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  :
i
¯
Member # 12534

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for i  Ford pictures for i    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It’s going to get worse ever year with car modz.

--------------------
91 Coupe 5.0 (Restro in Progress)
Rebuilt 302, Full exhaust, Fr500, and Full Black Interior with Buckets Seats.
Smog Legal!

Posts: 1853 | From: Sacramento | Registered: Nov 2012  |  :
93ex chp
¯
Member # 9016

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 93ex chp  Ford pictures for 93ex chp    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Old schools are getting hit too. Read the whole bill. It states that it does not exempt older cars from the law.
Posts: 743 | From: richmond | Registered: Mar 2009  |  :
adower
¯
Member # 5955

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for adower  Ford pictures for adower    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by 93ex chp:
Old schools are getting hit too. Read the whole bill. It states that it does not exempt older cars from the law.

Not from what I read

--------------------
98 Cobra
Griggs
S Trim
HRE

Posts: 3235 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  :
351w
¯
Member # 11875

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 351w  Ford pictures for 351w    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I’m moving to Canada, seriously though this sucks and makes me hope police use restraint when they hear a car with exhaust.
Posts: 1003 | From: 510 | Registered: Apr 2012  |  :
Martinna
¯
Member # 12493

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Martinna  Ford pictures for Martinna        Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Anyone got a link to the law? Do all cops have to carry sound level meters?
Posts: 1093 | From: City | Registered: Oct 2012  |  :
primeredbeast89dropgt
¯
Member # 10102

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for primeredbeast89dropgt  Ford pictures for primeredbeast89dropgt    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
A lot guys are petitioning it, I'm not sure if it Will do anything for us but its worth a try.

Here's the link :

https://www.change.org/p/nullify-fines-for-loud-mufflers-ab-1824-section-4-in-california?recruiter=836352091&utm_source=share_petition&utm_medium=copylink&utm_campaign=share_petiti on&utm_term=triggered

--------------------
89 vert gt

Posts: 208 | From: san francisco to antioch | Registered: Jun 2010  |  :
sic70stang
CAFords OG
Member # 4347

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for sic70stang  Ford pictures for sic70stang    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"California Assembly Bill (A.B.) 1824, which was signed into law by then-Governor Jerry Brown in June of 2018 went into effect on January 1, 2019. The bill has generated significant concern amongst the online enthusiast community. Despite what is being circulated, enactment of A.B. 1824 does not change existing laws pertaining to exhaust noise or sale and installation of aftermarket exhaust systems.

Under existing law, exhaust systems installed on motor vehicles with a manufacturer’s gross vehicle weight rating of less than 6,000 pounds, other than motorcycles, may not exceed a sound level of 95-decibels when tested under Society of Automotive Engineers (SAE) test procedure J1169 (May 1998). This was not changed by A.B. 1824.

A.B. 1824 amended how excess exhaust noise violations are handled by law enforcement. Beginning this year, a vehicle cited for violating the current exhaust noise law will no longer receive what is known as a “fix-it” ticket. Instead, violations will result in an immediate fine.

Consumers in receipt of a violation still have the option of seeking a certificate of compliance from the California Bureau of Automotive Repair (BAR) demonstrating that their exhaust emits no more than 95-decibels. This SEMA-sponsored program allows courts to dismiss citations for exhaust systems that have been tested and for which a certificate of compliance has been issued."

--------------------
The anti-crew
1987 rolling safety violation.

Posts: 6874 | From: California | Registered: Jul 2005  |  :
andyman_2k01
CAFords OG
Member # 1448

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for andyman_2k01  Ford pictures for andyman_2k01    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I saw a post on instagram (bayareacarmeets). A 55 year old guy in a 65' mustang got busted on the freeway by CHP for this exhaust law crap.

Be safe out there!

--------------------
-00 Mustang GT (R Clone)
-99 Saleen Convert. #231-SOLD

Posts: 1502 | From: Bay Area, CA | Registered: Jun 2002  |  :
adower
¯
Member # 5955

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for adower  Ford pictures for adower    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I can understand citing people at a meet or something that are out of control but if you’re just cruising???? Come on now.

--------------------
98 Cobra
Griggs
S Trim
HRE

Posts: 3235 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  :
NEIGHT
¯
Member # 8741

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for NEIGHT  Ford pictures for NEIGHT    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I hope they have some tool they can use to PROVE it. Cops tend to say what they want and don't have to prove themselves.

--------------------
-Savage Habits-
1992 Summer Edition
1986 Hatch- catfish killer
1964 Impala hard top

F*ck trump

Posts: 18290 | From: EA$T $IDE REDWOOD CITY | Registered: Nov 2008  |  :
sic70stang
CAFords OG
Member # 4347

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for sic70stang  Ford pictures for sic70stang    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
95db is super low. I mean clapping hands is higher. i say just keep the mufflers on and pay the fine. it will all be ok until we turn this state red. lol

--------------------
The anti-crew
1987 rolling safety violation.

Posts: 6874 | From: California | Registered: Jul 2005  |  :
Martinna
¯
Member # 12493

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Martinna  Ford pictures for Martinna        Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by sic70stang:

Consumers in receipt of a violation still have the option of seeking a certificate of compliance from the California Bureau of Automotive Repair (BAR) demonstrating that their exhaust emits no more than 95-decibels. This SEMA-sponsored program allows courts to dismiss citations for exhaust systems that have been tested and for which a certificate of compliance has been issued."

Does this mean people put quiet exhaust back on their car and get a certificate of compliance from BAR? When a California cop pulls you over, you show them the certificate so the cop will have to think up of a new crime to fine you for?
Posts: 1093 | From: City | Registered: Oct 2012  |  :
sic70stang
CAFords OG
Member # 4347

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for sic70stang  Ford pictures for sic70stang    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Martinna:
quote:
Originally posted by sic70stang:

Consumers in receipt of a violation still have the option of seeking a certificate of compliance from the California Bureau of Automotive Repair (BAR) demonstrating that their exhaust emits no more than 95-decibels. This SEMA-sponsored program allows courts to dismiss citations for exhaust systems that have been tested and for which a certificate of compliance has been issued."

Does this mean people put quiet exhaust back on their car and get a certificate of compliance from BAR? When a California cop pulls you over, you show them the certificate so the cop will have to think up of a new crime to fine you for?
i would try it. i dont know how they would even know the difference.

--------------------
The anti-crew
1987 rolling safety violation.

Posts: 6874 | From: California | Registered: Jul 2005  |  :
adower
¯
Member # 5955

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for adower  Ford pictures for adower    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Martinna:
quote:
Originally posted by sic70stang:

Consumers in receipt of a violation still have the option of seeking a certificate of compliance from the California Bureau of Automotive Repair (BAR) demonstrating that their exhaust emits no more than 95-decibels. This SEMA-sponsored program allows courts to dismiss citations for exhaust systems that have been tested and for which a certificate of compliance has been issued."

Does this mean people put quiet exhaust back on their car and get a certificate of compliance from BAR? When a California cop pulls you over, you show them the certificate so the cop will have to think up of a new crime to fine you for?
From what I’ve read the cop just needs to think your car is loud. From there you have to take it to bar and prove it’s under the 95 dB level. I’ve read a post that a guy in a stock m4 got a ticket and his stock exhaust is over 95 DB. He took it to court with proof from bar that it was stock but still had to pay a 1k fine.

--------------------
98 Cobra
Griggs
S Trim
HRE

Posts: 3235 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  :
fredfifty
Since
9/2010
Member # 10320

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for fredfifty  Ford pictures for fredfifty    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
So that db measurement is at idle?
Posts: 4853 | Registered: Sep 2010  |  :
adower
¯
Member # 5955

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for adower  Ford pictures for adower    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by fredfifty:
So that db measurement is at idle?

Under load 2500 rpm I believe.

--------------------
98 Cobra
Griggs
S Trim
HRE

Posts: 3235 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  :
El Caballo
¯
Member # 6355

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for El Caballo  Ford pictures for El Caballo    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I wonder what all the hp exhaust brands think of this ridiculous bill, besides the obvious

[ 2019-01-10, 11:21 PM: Message edited by: El Caballo ]

Posts: 617 | From: Mars | Registered: Jan 2006  |  :
Martinna
¯
Member # 12493

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Martinna  Ford pictures for Martinna        Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by adower:
From what I’ve read the cop just needs to think your car is loud. From there you have to take it to bar and prove it’s under the 95 dB level. I’ve read a post that a guy in a stock m4 got a ticket and his stock exhaust is over 95 DB. He took it to court with proof from bar that it was stock but still had to pay a 1k fine.

This means the unjust law is a tool for cops to extract a $1000 tax on those they don't like. I wonder if Tesla and other electric car companies that build automobiles exclusively for the wealthy had anything to do with this bill. This law will be used exclusively to tax the poor unjustly.
Posts: 1093 | From: City | Registered: Oct 2012  |  :
adower
¯
Member # 5955

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for adower  Ford pictures for adower    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Martinna:
quote:
Originally posted by adower:
From what I’ve read the cop just needs to think your car is loud. From there you have to take it to bar and prove it’s under the 95 dB level. I’ve read a post that a guy in a stock m4 got a ticket and his stock exhaust is over 95 DB. He took it to court with proof from bar that it was stock but still had to pay a 1k fine.

This means the unjust law is a tool for cops to extract a $1000 tax on those they don't like. I wonder if Tesla and other electric car companies that build automobiles exclusively for the wealthy had anything to do with this bill. This law will be used exclusively to tax the poor unjustly.
Eh, Tesla’s aren’t built exclusively for the wealthy. The model 3 or whatever it is is only 45k, which is only 10k more thanw a new fully loaded Honda Accord. Also, basically any supercar wouldn’t pass the 95 dB meter at all so I doubt Ferrari/mclaren/Lamborghini etc lobbied for this as all car companies need to offer electric cars at some point.

I’m pretty sure this is to give cops control and try to get rid of the take overs side shows people are posting on YouTube. Still it’s a shitty law in my opinion.

[ 2019-01-11, 05:13 AM: Message edited by: adower ]

--------------------
98 Cobra
Griggs
S Trim
HRE

Posts: 3235 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  :
Martinna
¯
Member # 12493

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Martinna  Ford pictures for Martinna        Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
adower ------ you are right about Tesla and super cars. A GT500 or Corvette should also not pass a 95db test. I don't agree side shows have anything to do with it. It's a law to extract a $1000 tax on those who can't afford it. It would be very unusual for a cop to use this law against a super car owner. Super car owners can afford lawyers and defend themselves against injustice. However, a poor person in an older truck or Mustang doesn't have the means. Police know this very well. Like all bullies, they don't pick on those that can't defend themselves.
Posts: 1093 | From: City | Registered: Oct 2012  |  :
fredfifty
Since
9/2010
Member # 10320

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for fredfifty  Ford pictures for fredfifty    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Martinna:
adower ------ you are right about Tesla and super cars. A GT500 or Corvette should also not pass a 95db test. I don't agree side shows have anything to do with it. It's a law to extract a $1000 tax on those who can't afford it. It would be very unusual for a cop to use this law against a super car owner. Super car owners can afford lawyers and defend themselves against injustice. However, a poor person in an older truck or Mustang doesn't have the means. Police know this very well. Like all bullies, they don't pick on those that can't defend themselves.

if its for the ones who cant afford to pay it, why even waste time creating it? if they cant pay it, that just creates more problems imo theres probably more to this bill than just attacking those that cant afford it.

--------------------
RIP EDSON VELORO
IM A NOOB, EXCUSE ME. THANKS.
92 LX Coupe 5.0 CARB'd BOLT-ONS SMOG LEGAL

Posts: 4853 | Registered: Sep 2010  |  :
adower
¯
Member # 5955

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for adower  Ford pictures for adower    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by fredfifty:
quote:
Originally posted by Martinna:
adower ------ you are right about Tesla and super cars. A GT500 or Corvette should also not pass a 95db test. I don't agree side shows have anything to do with it. It's a law to extract a $1000 tax on those who can't afford it. It would be very unusual for a cop to use this law against a super car owner. Super car owners can afford lawyers and defend themselves against injustice. However, a poor person in an older truck or Mustang doesn't have the means. Police know this very well. Like all bullies, they don't pick on those that can't defend themselves.

if its for the ones who cant afford to pay it, why even waste time creating it? if they cant pay it, that just creates more problems imo theres probably more to this bill than just attacking those that cant afford it.
There is a video now where a cop plain as day says it’s due to the take overs and side shows that this law was created.

--------------------
98 Cobra
Griggs
S Trim
HRE

Posts: 3235 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  :
Martinna
¯
Member # 12493

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Martinna  Ford pictures for Martinna        Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by fredfifty:
if its for the ones who cant afford to pay it, why even waste time creating it? if they cant pay it, that just creates more problems imo theres probably more to this bill than just attacking those that cant afford it.

The government always wins in this area. They'll garnish wages. They'll charge late fees. They'll charge interest.
I thought about it like you and agree there is more to this bill than attacking the poor. It also attacks older cars. The government hates old cars on the road. Cash for clunkers, requiring smog for cars thirty to forty years old, sound level fines are all designed to levy a tax on the less well off to force them out of their older automobile.

Posts: 1093 | From: City | Registered: Oct 2012  |  :
AL STOCK
Its All Stock
Cuzzon
Member # 1852

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for AL STOCK  Ford pictures for AL STOCK  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Get a mild to wild switch
Posts: 6458 | From: San Bruno | Registered: Sep 2002  |  :


Page: 1  2   
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords



Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com