Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » General Talk   » Questions about state reff in Ca

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: Questions about state reff in Ca
Mike209
¯
Member # 14441

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mike209  Ford pictures for Mike209  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
So i have a 97 Gt with an 01 gt motor and bullit intake swap. Beside long tubes and cats ehst would i hsve to change back to stock and do they worry about thr motors being diffrent. Also is there Any loops holes. The cop literally stopprd me going 50 in a 45 and said pop my hood

--------------------
Michael graves

DeleteThisAccount
¯
Member # 94

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for DeleteThisAccount  Ford pictures for DeleteThisAccount    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
And you popped the hood?!? LMFAO. They can't make you do that, dude.. learn your rights.

Unless they pulled you over FOR THAT REASON.. they suspected your motor being different (LOL) they can't do that.

If you did, you just incriminated yourself.

GL.

Martinna
¯
Member # 12493

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Martinna  Ford pictures for Martinna        Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Remember your 4th amendment right ---

quote:
The right of the people to be secure in their persons, houses, papers, and effects, against unreasonable searches and seizures, shall not be violated, and no Warrants shall issue, but upon probable cause, supported by Oath or affirmation, and particularly describing the place to be searched, and the persons or things to be seized.
The cop needed probable cause. You should have asked for it.

Hundreds of people legally refuse check points like this vid shows---- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6_3dDNPwJTU [patriot]

The best advice when dealing with law enforcement-----

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6wXkI4t7nuc

https://www.eff.org/files/2015/11/23/3mod-police_tips_9-8-2015.pdf

[ 2018-06-28, 02:02 PM: Message edited by: Martinna ]

evintho
¯
Member # 5536

Ford Icon 6 posted      Profile for evintho  Ford pictures for evintho  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Did they refer you to a BAR ref? As long as it's a later model motor than the car, you're OK in that regard. I'm sure you'll have to swap back to stock exhaust. I don't think there's a problem with the Bullitt intake swap although, I've been wrong before! Make sure your air intake system is closed. CAI's aren't allowed.

--------------------
'89 Mustang LX droptop running a turbocharged 2.3, and proud of it!!
Check out 'Thunderstang'!

Posts: 285 | From: Santa Rosa | Registered: Apr 2005  |  :
DeleteThisAccount
¯
Member # 94

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for DeleteThisAccount  Ford pictures for DeleteThisAccount    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by Martinna:
Remember your 4th amendment right ---

quote:
The right of the people to be secure in their persons, houses, papers, and effects, against unreasonable searches and seizures, shall not be violated, and no Warrants shall issue, but upon probable cause, supported by Oath or affirmation, and particularly describing the place to be searched, and the persons or things to be seized.
The cop needed probable cause. You should have asked for it.

Hundreds of people legally refuse check points like this vid shows---- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6_3dDNPwJTU [patriot]

The best advice when dealing with law enforcement-----

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6wXkI4t7nuc

https://www.eff.org/files/2015/11/23/3mod-police_tips_9-8-2015.pdf

Yep.
TR1
98COBRA.COM
Member # 296

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for TR1  Ford pictures for TR1    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Actually, the CHP has the authority to inspect your vehicle to make sure that the smog equipment has not been tampered with.

--------------------
Yep.

Posts: 1381 | From: Bay Area, CA. | Registered: Jun 2001  |  :
i
¯
Member # 12534

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for i  Ford pictures for i    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
The engine will be fine if it’s the a factory original harness.
The intake depends on the smog tech experience he may or may not know. If he doesn’t know then he’ll do his research.
Best bet is to borrow one or get a used one.
It’s a pita my school have a stat ref I be learning from the guy.

Posts: 1901 | From: Sacramento | Registered: Nov 2012  |  :
Big Dave
¯
Member # 13142

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Big Dave  Ford pictures for Big Dave    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I've dealt with the smog ref before. They are very tough and don't let anything slide.

If anything is NOT stock you need to have CARB# and documentation on every part.

If it's not the original motor you will have to let them know that in advance or they'll send you away and make you schedule another appt. They give 30 min for a standard check, and 2 hours for motor change. I had to schedule for a motor change just for heads/intake/exhaust, actually.

And if you do have all that, make sure everything is on point, running well....especially the 15mph in 3rd gear test. if it lurches because its cammed or not geared right it will not pass that test. You may want to try in a parking lot before you take it, adjust if needed. I turned my idle up so it lurched less, but made my emissions slightly higher.

Make sure your timing is stock also, whatever that is for a 01.

Appointments are few and far between, could be weeks or months if you don't pass the first time, so try to get it all right in advance.

--------------------
86 GT Vert with some mods. Yup

adower
¯
Member # 5955

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for adower  Ford pictures for adower    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by Blown93Snake:
And you popped the hood?!? LMFAO. They can't make you do that, dude.. learn your rights.

Unless they pulled you over FOR THAT REASON.. they suspected your motor being different (LOL) they can't do that.

GL.

If he has a loud exhaust the chp can request him to pop the hood.

--------------------
98 Cobra
Griggs
S Trim
HRE

Martinna
¯
Member # 12493

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Martinna  Ford pictures for Martinna        Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by TR1:
Actually, the CHP has the authority to inspect your vehicle to make sure that the smog equipment has not been tampered with.

Under what valid probably cause can a CHP officer choose one car over another? Few CHP officers know anything about smog equipment or what to look for under the hood. Especially the new ones.
Saleen9675
¯
Member # 9207

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Saleen9675  Ford pictures for Saleen9675    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I recently did a motor swap on my 96. I took it to the ref, it passed the sniffer with flying colors but it failed the visual. The H-pipe needs to match the same year the motor you have on the car (not all H-pipes are the same from 1996-2004) You will pass with the bullit upper intake because its from a 2001 but make sure you have the stock throttle body and take the carb # if you have an after market intake. If your car is tuned it will also fail, they will ask for a dealership letter stating that its stock.
Thats the last thing I need to do is get a letter from the a Ford dealership. If anyone out there can help me out with the letter, PM me. Thanks

adower
¯
Member # 5955

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for adower  Ford pictures for adower    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by TR1:

Under what valid probably cause can a CHP officer choose one car over another? Few CHP officers know anything about smog equipment or what to look for under the hood. Especially the new ones.
If your car has loud exhaust that’s the probable cause.

--------------------
98 Cobra
Griggs
S Trim
HRE

Martinna
¯
Member # 12493

adower ------- Mufflers have nothing to do with smog emissions. A car's smog numbers are exactly the same even if you completely remove the mufflers. Exhaust volume is not linked to hydrocarbon emissions.
adower
¯
Member # 5955

quote:
adower ------- Mufflers have nothing to do with smog emissions. A car's smog numbers are exactly the same even if you completely remove the mufflers. Exhaust volume is not linked to hydrocarbon emissions.

No one ever said mufflers had something to do with smog. You asked what gives them probable cause to pull you over. Having a loud exhaust is enough probable cause. Your exhaust has to be under 95db. Once you get pulled over they have the authority to tell you to pop your hood.

It is not hard for a chp to pop his head under the car and see no cats or look for a carb # on certain parts. It’s up to you to defend yourself at that point.

Vehicle Code 27151. Modification of exhaust systems

(a) No person shall modify the exhaust system of a motor vehicle in a manner which will amplify or increase the noise emitted by the motor of the vehicle so that the vehicle is not in compliance with the provisions of Section 27150 or exceeds the noise limits established for the type of vehicle in Article 2.5 (commencing with Section 27200). No person shall operate a motor vehicle with an exhaust system so modified.
(b) For the purposes of exhaust systems installed on motor vehicles with a manufacturer’s gross vehicle weight rating of less than 6,000 pounds, other than motorcycles, a sound level of 95 dbA or less, when tested in accordance with Society of Automotive Engineers Standard J1169 May 1998, complies with this section. Motor vehicle exhaust systems or parts thereof include, but are not limited to, nonoriginal exhaust equipment.

[ 2018-06-30, 03:50 PM: Message edited by: adower ]

--------------------
98 Cobra
Griggs
S Trim
HRE

NEIGHT
¯
Member # 8741

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for NEIGHT  Ford pictures for NEIGHT    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:

You're right, they haven't NOTHING to do with emissions. That's not what they care about though, they'll look for the tiniest reason to pull over a car they feel is modified. That's why I make sure all my shit works so I can make a scene when they do pull me over. Actually I pulled over a cop a few weeks ago kuz his bitch ass was literally running stop signs and red lights just to stay behind me and run my plates. I was so mad I went off on his ass that he has nothing better to do because he's a useless piece of shit that just harasses people. Then they wonder why people don't like them, I know I don't, at all. The state doesn't care about the air quality, they just care about the money they can take out of peoples pockets.

--------------------
-Savage Habits-
1992 Summer Edition
1986 Hatch- catfish killer
1964 Impala hard top

Posts: 18528 | From: EA$T $IDE REDWOOD CITY | Registered: Nov 2008  |  :
AL STOCK
Its All Stock
Cuzzon
Member # 1852

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for AL STOCK  Ford pictures for AL STOCK  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by adower:
quote:
Originally posted by Blown93Snake:

GL.

If he has a loud exhaust the chp can request him to pop the hood.
+1 Vehicle is loud, that's probable cause.

--------------------
.:: FANATICS ::.

93 Cobra Teal
93 Cobra V Red
90 SSP
SVT Raptor
Huracan Rosso Mars
E63s W213 Selenite Gray
C7Z M7 Daytona Sunrise

Posts: 6498 | From: San Bruno | Registered: Sep 2002  |  :

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com