Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » General Talk   » My newest addition to the pony stable

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: My newest addition to the pony stable
wilit
Mustang Messiah
Member # 3367

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for wilit  Ford pictures for wilit  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
For you youngins that don't know what this is, it's a 1979 Pinto Pony. Picked this all original 234k (at least, possibly 434k) mile beauty up for $515. It's a 2.3 with a 4spd and not much else in the way of options. No power anything. Pretty sure it didn't even come with a radio. It's slower than dog shit and looks just as bad. But it runs like a champ.

Why would someone willingly buy a 1979 Pinto Pony? My two buddies and I are going to do the Lemons Rally in it in August. Here's hoping we don't die in a giant fireball.

-

--------------------
"If a man hasn't found something worth dying for, he isn't fit to live." - Martin Luther King Jr.

Posts: 4793 | From: 37.78514° North 122.40100° West | Registered: Oct 2003  |  :
eldog68
¯
Member # 12928

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for eldog68  Ford pictures for eldog68    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Haha. Well you overpaid by $15 to qualify.
I had a couple buddies that wanted to do that race also. Finding the car wasn't a problem But then the safety equipment, radios, firesuit etc started adding up to alot and everyone bailed. Have a name for the car yet?

Posts: 263 | From: el Dorado hills | Registered: May 2013  |  :
wilit
Mustang Messiah
Member # 3367

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for wilit  Ford pictures for wilit  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
All the safety gear is required for the 24 Hours of Lemons. We're doing the rally which is on the street. We're driving from Monterey to Long Beach to Yuma to Joshua Tree to Santa Cruz and back to Monterey. So the only safety gear it needs is what is required to be road legal.

--------------------
"If a man hasn't found something worth dying for, he isn't fit to live." - Martin Luther King Jr.

Posts: 4793 | From: 37.78514° North 122.40100° West | Registered: Oct 2003  |  :
NEIGHT
¯
Member # 8741

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for NEIGHT  Ford pictures for NEIGHT    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
LOL I don't remember the last time I seen a Pinto in person. Those things make some nice light ugly race cars. [burnout]

--------------------
-Savage Habits-
1992 Summer Edition
1986 Hatch- catfish killer
1964 Impala hard top

Posts: 18528 | From: EA$T $IDE REDWOOD CITY | Registered: Nov 2008  |  :
El Caballo
¯
Member # 6355

Ford Icon 10 posted      Profile for El Caballo  Ford pictures for El Caballo    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
This reminds me of a time I pick up my son from high school in a amc pacer LoL

[ 2018-05-07, 03:44 PM: Message edited by: El Caballo ]

SLOWBACK 67
¯
Member # 6348

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for SLOWBACK 67  Ford pictures for SLOWBACK 67    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I am happy this one is not being hacked up for the track. Looks to be in great shape!!!

--------------------
Originally posted by turbo50:
I have no intenions of keeping anyones parts or taking anyones money.

Martinna
¯
Member # 12493

Ford Icon 14 posted      Profile for Martinna  Ford pictures for Martinna        Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
What is your team planning for the build?
NEIGHT
¯
Member # 8741

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for NEIGHT  Ford pictures for NEIGHT    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by Martinna:

A ecoboost swap would be cool. [Big Grin]

--------------------
-Savage Habits-
1992 Summer Edition
1986 Hatch- catfish killer
1964 Impala hard top

Posts: 18528 | From: EA$T $IDE REDWOOD CITY | Registered: Nov 2008  |  :
wilit
Mustang Messiah
Member # 3367

quote:
Originally posted by NEIGHT:
quote:
Originally posted by Martinna:

A ecoboost swap would be cool. [Big Grin]
LOL. You're right, it would be cool, but way beyond our plans for the rally. Not sure what our theme is going to be. We were thinking of doing a basic race car theme. Maybe with some old school displacement stickers on the hood and number circles on the doors.

--------------------

wilit
Mustang Messiah
Member # 3367

Some more pics...

88 horsepower (when new) of fury! I imagine some of those ponies have escaped the pasture in the past 40 years.
 -

All original interior. Hard to believe, I know.
 -

The passenger seat is in pretty decent shape.
 -

Imagine how many babies were conceived in the backseat when this bad boy rolled up in front of the club.
 -

--------------------

El Caballo
¯
Member # 6355

Ford Icon 10 posted      Profile for El Caballo  Ford pictures for El Caballo    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Gotta get your self some 8-tracks to cruse in style on that long trip lol

Overall, it’s a cool bucket. Can’t go wrong with a ride that has that Awesome sound of latching when you close those heavy ass doors
Love that sound [worship]
Gotta love that buzzer too when you open the switch

[ 2018-05-11, 11:42 PM: Message edited by: El Caballo ]

wilit
Mustang Messiah
Member # 3367

quote:
Originally posted by El Caballo:
Gotta get your self some 8-tracks to cruse in style on that long trip lol

Overall, it’s a cool bucket. Can’t go wrong with a ride that has that Awesome sound of latching when you close those heavy ass doors
Love that sound [worship]
Gotta love that buzzer too when you open the switch

The buzzer is broken. LOL. Also, there is no usable weatherstripping on the doors, so when you're driving, they rattle like crazy.

--------------------

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com