Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » General Talk   » Dashcams/ In car cameras.

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: Dashcams/ In car cameras.
Brokn Nx
¯
Member # 8526

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Brokn Nx  Ford pictures for Brokn Nx    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Anybody have experience with installing a dash cam in their car?

I'm looking to install some type of camera into my foxbody while the interior is out. Really, I'd like to put a setup in because I've been hassled too many times by law enforcement for 'looking like' a street racer. I guess foxbodies with Welds are a dead giveaway for citations/fishing expeditions for officers in my area. I'm never cited for anything, but I'm sick of being stopped for looking the part.

Anybody have a recommended setup or a site with info to check out? Ideally, front, rear and the sides is what i'm looking for. It needs to be mounted inside the car and not some massive thing sticking on the glass or on the package tray.

--------------------
85-0001 Saleen Mustang
88-362 Saleen Notch
85-090 Saleen Hatch
67 Stang Coupe

Posts: 333 | From: Santa Maria, CA | Registered: Jul 2008  |  :
SLOWBACK 67
¯
Member # 6348

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for SLOWBACK 67  Ford pictures for SLOWBACK 67    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Just buy a go pro and the cops are just doing their job. Just keep your car legal and you won't have to worry about anything.

--------------------
Originally posted by turbo50:
I have no intenions of keeping anyones parts or taking anyones money.

Wolfie351
¯
Member # 651

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Wolfie351  Ford pictures for Wolfie351    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by SLOWBACK 67:
Just buy a go pro and the cops are just doing their job. Just keep your car legal and you won't have to worry about anything.

Sure, he'll just tell his boss he was late to work because the cops were "just doing their job". This is why I tell people to take the tint off their windows and put their front plate back on. Don't give them a reason.

As far as dashcams go, there's no reason to spend all that money on a gopro. The first thief that sees it will smash your window to get it. There are much cheaper alternatives that have more options. They may not have as good of video quality, but it's extremely difficult to read license plates even with the best dashcams so I really don't see the need for the best of the best. I spend about $40 on mine and about the same for a quality SD card. If you ever get involved in an incident on the road, just say the license plate number aloud and your cam will catch the audio. Do the extra work to hardwire it and mount it cleanly and you'll forget it's there until you need it.

--------------------
1985 Mustang GT: 351W, Griggs, Baer, etc etc

Posts: 1214 | From: South Bay | Registered: Dec 2001  |  :
Martinna
¯
Member # 12493

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Martinna  Ford pictures for Martinna        Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
If you're rich and have a BMW with factory tint, the cops will never mess with you. If you don't have money and drive an American hot rod with a tint, cops will always mess with you. There are laws for the rich and powerful, and other laws only for the rest of us. You can't have a two tiered justice system and claim to be a country with liberty and justice for all. What SLOWBACK 67 doesn't tell you is he's connected to law enforcement. In America today, this means he doesn't have to follow all the laws as closely as the rest of us do. He has no problem getting a fix it ticket signed off for him, that is if a cop will be rash enough to give him one.

Wolfie351 gave very good advice on the camera.

Brokn Nx
¯
Member # 8526

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Brokn Nx  Ford pictures for Brokn Nx    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I don’t have tint for this exact reason. The last bogus stop I was driving my yellow 04 Cobra. I had my hat on backwards, shades on and arm out the window. It was daytime, and I was at least 5 under the posted speed limit. The officer flipped a u-turn and stopped me. When he approached the door my windows were down and my hands were high up on the wheel. He asked for the usual documents, then walked back to his car. When he returned he handed me back my documents and leaned into the car. He says”no tint?” As he looks into the passenger compartment. I say “never”. He says “have a nice day.”

Overall, this wasn’t a bad experience, but one that shouldn’t happen. The cause for the stop was backwards hat on a dude who looks like a stereotype. Usually, at least there’s a missing plate! I did get stopped in the same car for no windshield wipers around the same time.

--------------------
85-0001 Saleen Mustang
88-362 Saleen Notch
85-090 Saleen Hatch
67 Stang Coupe

i
¯
Member # 12534

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for i  Ford pictures for i    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I tell them I have a active warrant and I validated my probation.

--------------------
86 Caged Coupe 5.0
91 Salvaged Coupe

Posts: 1901 | From: Sacramento | Registered: Nov 2012  |  :
NEIGHT
¯
Member # 8741

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for NEIGHT  Ford pictures for NEIGHT    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I feel your pain. Try being Hispanic and young looking in a fox body. You'll get pulled over for not moving out of a cops way when they don't even have sirens or lights on. [Roll Eyes] [Roll Eyes] [Roll Eyes] [Roll Eyes] [BS flag] [BS flag] [BS flag] [BS flag]

--------------------
-Savage Habits-
1992 Summer Edition
1986 Hatch- catfish killer
1964 Impala hard top

Posts: 18528 | From: EA$T $IDE REDWOOD CITY | Registered: Nov 2008  |  :
fredfifty
Since
9/2010
Member # 10320

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for fredfifty  Ford pictures for fredfifty    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Why not use your smart phone?

--------------------
RIP EDSON VELORO
IM A NOOB, EXCUSE ME. THANKS.
92 LX Coupe 5.0 CARB'd BOLT-ONS SMOG LEGAL
62 Rag Impala

Brokn Nx
¯
Member # 8526

I think reaching for anything has its risks in a traffic stop.

--------------------
85-0001 Saleen Mustang
88-362 Saleen Notch
85-090 Saleen Hatch
67 Stang Coupe

hidnn0s
¯
Member # 13845

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for hidnn0s  Ford pictures for hidnn0s    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by Brokn Nx:

It does, it's bullshit, but no matter what they do, it's "ok'd" by the public and higher ups. They pay out off to stay out of court/trial, and then sweep it under the rug......
Black88GT
CAFords OG
Member # 394

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Black88GT  Ford pictures for Black88GT    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
How is a dashcam going to help you? Seriously, if you dont want to be looked at buy an accord. I roll tint and no plates on both of my mustangs.... Its a roll of the dice.

--------------------
2000 Griggs Racing GT
2012 Kona GT500

Brokn Nx
¯
Member # 8526

It may not, but it may.

Police body cam seems to work every time it benefits the cops. When it may show otherwise, it’s often broken or switched off.

Probable cause. It needs to exist for these types of cites to stick.

--------------------
85-0001 Saleen Mustang
88-362 Saleen Notch
85-090 Saleen Hatch
67 Stang Coupe

NEIGHT
¯
Member # 8741

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for NEIGHT  Ford pictures for NEIGHT    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by Black88GT:
How is a dashcam going to help you? Seriously, if you dont want to be looked at buy an accord. I roll tint and no plates on both of my mustangs.... Its a roll of the dice.

Easy. Most cops don't do their job as they're supposed to and the courts NEVER side with us unless its clear as day evidence. I caught 2 points on my license when I was 19 because the cop lied in his police report. I like his camera idea it could potentially save his ass in court one day.

--------------------
-Savage Habits-
1992 Summer Edition
1986 Hatch- catfish killer
1964 Impala hard top

Posts: 18528 | From: EA$T $IDE REDWOOD CITY | Registered: Nov 2008  |  :
drop92
PITUDO
RACING 415
Member # 1323

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for drop92  Ford pictures for drop92    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I use a gopro as my dashcam , it saved my ass many times , I have it mounted on a windshield mount.
Martinna
¯
Member # 12493

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Martinna  Ford pictures for Martinna        Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by Brokn Nx:

This is correct. Do not reach for anything when pulled over. You don't know how trigger happy the cop is.

Did you all see the elementary school worker Philando Castile getting shot up video ----- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vM2KVbpBzWE
The trigger happy cop shot the school worker 40 seconds after stopping him for a burned tail light. Child in the back seat. After the murder, the crooked cop got let go and the city paid $800,000 to the family. Exactly what hidnn0s said. Crooked cops act wild, innocent lives are lost. The city government just raises taxes on all their citizens to sweep the crime under the rug.

AL STOCK
Its All Stock
Cuzzon
Member # 1852

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for AL STOCK  Ford pictures for AL STOCK  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by drop92:
I use a gopro as my dashcam , it saved my ass many times , I have it mounted on a windshield mount.

This.

Just get a simple Transcend dash cam.

--------------------
.:: FANATICS ::.

93 Cobra Teal
93 Cobra V Red
90 SSP
SVT Raptor
Huracan Rosso Mars
E63s W213 Selenite Gray
C7Z M7 Daytona Sunrise

Posts: 6498 | From: San Bruno | Registered: Sep 2002  |  :
Black 02 SS
¯
Member # 5939

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Black 02 SS  Ford pictures for Black 02 SS    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
See if you can find this for a lower price elsehwere:

http://www.subispeed.com/blackvue-dr750s-1-or-2-channel-front-and-rear-cloud-dashcam-car-dvr-system#.WioASLT80b0

Or, find a dashcam with similar specs/features.

--------------------
Schwinn 18speed

Brokn Nx
¯
Member # 8526

What’s amazing is, how affordable many of these systems are. Some are cheaper than traffic school!

--------------------
85-0001 Saleen Mustang
88-362 Saleen Notch
85-090 Saleen Hatch
67 Stang Coupe

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com