Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » General Talk   » FORD 6.0 DIESEL

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: FORD 6.0 DIESEL
MACK.GT
¯
Member # 10461

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for MACK.GT  Ford pictures for MACK.GT    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I just wanted to see if we can get a Ford 6.0 diesel section started/ added on here , I'm sure that many on here would benefit from discussions on Ford diesels and the diesel topic in general.
[SHO]TIME
¯
Member # 8962

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for [SHO]TIME  Ford pictures for [SHO]TIME    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Quick discussion about the 6.0 diesel, It's a piece of shit!!! I seriously wouldnt take a 6.0 powered truck if it were given to me lol. I'm however a huge fan of the 7.3 as are millions of others. I own probably one of the cleanest 93 f250's on the road, shes my baby 4x4 ext cab with the IDI 7.3 only 160k on her, and i scored my wife a 2001 diesel 4x4 excursion. If you own a 6.0 powered truck do yourself a favor get rid of it and get a 7.3!!!
Mr.10psi
¯
Member # 11062

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mr.10psi  Ford pictures for Mr.10psi  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Yea i would never own a 6.0 even if it was bulletproofed. Its a hit and miss. Get a 7.3 powerstroke.

--------------------
02 white saleen(sold) 347 stroker in the works

fiftwyz
¯
Member # 8351

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for fiftwyz  Ford pictures for fiftwyz    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I guess that means no to your question .
NorCalRydaz
¯
Member # 3233

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for NorCalRydaz  Ford pictures for NorCalRydaz    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by fiftwyz:
I guess that means no to your question .

Lol.

I personally have never owned a 6.0. I have heard some horror stories and I also have buddies who have close to 200k on theirs with zero issues.

The 7.3 is definitely the truck to get if you can get a good deal on one. I have owned my current 7.3 for 2 years now with over 262k on the odometer. I beat on it like if I was 16 years old in my 5.0 and is has given me ZERO issues. The 7.3 is bullet proof and if you have a 6 speed it should be the last truck you'll ever buy.

hidnn0s
¯
Member # 13845

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for hidnn0s  Ford pictures for hidnn0s    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I have an 03 Excursion with the 6.0 in it and I absolutely love it. 5 years ago I lost the HPOP while towing our boat and family 400 miles away. Sucked as I had to pay retail vs having repairs done where I work however while they were down that far I had them reinstall BPD coolers and since then it's been an AMAZING vehicle. On long freeway trips without towing the boat I'll get 20mpg etc. I do maintain it like crazy, coolant once a year, oil every 5k, fuel filters every 15k etc. The Excursion is the one vehicle I know I'll never part with, regardless of the repair.
Where I work we often do the BPD installs, replace full motors with Jasper motors that have the ARP head studs, BPD cooler already installed etc.

To each their own

[ 2017-07-12, 01:35 PM: Message edited by: hidnn0s ]

JohnB
Tech Moderator
Member # 969

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for JohnB  Ford pictures for JohnB    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
No one could pay me to own another 6.0. After multiple issues with a truck that only had 38k miles on it, I said enough. Went with a new 2016 and haven't looked back.

7.3, different story!

--------------------
1965 Shelby Cobra
1993 Cobra
2012 F150 Raptor
2020 GT500

Posts: 6523 | From: Orlando FL/Redding CA | Registered: Mar 2002  |  :
SIC9250
¯
Member # 8216

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for SIC9250  Ford pictures for SIC9250    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Loved our 6.0 f350 it was bulletproofed tons of power,would spin the 20x12s on 37s with ease and get 20+ mpg..Truck had 237k on it and was a badass rig I woulda drove it anywhere and towed anything but the wife wanted a coyote so we sold the truck but I will get another soon,7.3's are to slow and don't have that wicked whistle that sounds like a 747 jet [Cool]

--------------------
Coyote_Mach1

Posts: 6959 | From: in the drivers seat. | Registered: Feb 2008  |  :
1fastmach1
¯
Member # 10137

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 1fastmach1  Ford pictures for 1fastmach1    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
work on the 6.0 powerstroke all day at work i agree a power stoke section would be nice not just 6.0 but also the 7.3 and newer 6.4 and 6.7

--------------------
REDLINE MOTORSPORTS CC EST 2011
1993 CHP sold
2004 mach 1 408 Windsor n20 fed
R.I.P. JORGE GUTIERREZ JR
6/13/1982- 11/05/2013

Posts: 2592 | From: clawwwitter to 7th st | Registered: Jul 2010  |  :
NK2186
¯
Member # 12319

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for NK2186  Ford pictures for NK2186    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
7.3 non turbo sucks, no power. reliable but no power. the later 7.3 turbo is a very good motor. EGR, injector pressure reguluator, injector pressure sensor and leaks in the high pressure oil system cause a lot of problems on the 6.0. I see a lot of these come into a shop, we maintain full fleets of these damn things. turbos always get coked up from drivers not letting the engines run and cool down before shutting off, egr coolers leaking, oil cooler leaking, egr failures, no boost. Our shop truck is a 99 7.3 with some upgrades. has 280k miles and original motor and manual trans. make sure to use OEM international crank position sensors on the 7.3. we had problems with after market ones.

[ 2017-07-29, 10:46 AM: Message edited by: NK2186 ]

--------------------
90 LX 5.0 - Stolen/stripped
89 LX 5.0 - Stolen and missing as of 7-24-13. LIC# 4HIP151 :(
99 Cobra
00 Exploder

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com