Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » General Talk   » Polishing a set of wheels/rims...

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: Polishing a set of wheels/rims...
NonOpSlow2V
¯
Member # 6111

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for NonOpSlow2V  Ford pictures for NonOpSlow2V    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
What's up guys...

I dug out a set of 4 Saleen rims from storage. I'm looking to clean them up and polish them up. What kind of polishing compound and accessories should I need? I never polished rims before so I would need to get some wheel brushes or polishing wheels right? All I have as far as tools is a cordless drill. Any guidance from those experienced with polishing would be appreciated.
 -
 -
 -

[ 2017-05-12, 03:29 PM: Message edited by: Autumnstang97 ]

--------------------
1997 Autumn Orange GT vert
1996 Mystic Cobra
2005 95ci Harley Road King
2011 F150 Raptor

Posts: 2139 | From: San Francisco | Registered: Oct 2005  |  :
87droptop50
Go Giants!
Member # 7185

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 87droptop50  Ford pictures for 87droptop50  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I've had good luck with mothers aluminum polish and a buffing pad on a drill
351w
¯
Member # 11875

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 351w  Ford pictures for 351w    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I would look into powder coating the wheels, Leon's in Oakland could do them for probably $300 or less depending on color and if you want to do a custom color check out prismatic powder. You'd have to dismount the wheels but you'd come out with something unique in the end.
NonOpSlow2V
¯
Member # 6111

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for NonOpSlow2V  Ford pictures for NonOpSlow2V    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I have access to a powdercoater near me. I appreciate the recommendation. I was thinking of trying to basically "restore" these wheels because they were polished before. So since then it has been weathered out and not taken care of. I thought I'd try something before just getting them painted.

When I mean "polishing" these i think I would have to use some fine grit sander or something along the lines of that.

I plan to go ahead and use these for my 97.

[ 2017-05-13, 10:22 PM: Message edited by: Autumnstang97 ]

--------------------
1996 Mystic Cobra
2011 F150 Raptor

NonOpSlow2V
¯
Member # 6111

I also have a complete set of Ford OEM 2000 Cobra Rs in storage too 😜 With the original BFG tires 😲

[ 2017-05-13, 10:20 PM: Message edited by: Autumnstang97 ]

--------------------
1996 Mystic Cobra
2011 F150 Raptor

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com