Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » General Talk   » $1,000 to throw at her

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: $1,000 to throw at her
Aztec 5.0
¯
Member # 13859

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Aztec 5.0  Ford pictures for Aztec 5.0    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
So I posted this before and followed some of your tips. I did the 5 speed swap(. Love it now!). Swapped to 3.73 gears with a new Eaton true trac diff. I have the rear BBK upper and lower control arms and MM subframe connectors but they are not on yet. I have $1,000 to throw at her so what would you guys do? She's a weekend driver and I live in the mountains where the roads are windy so suspension is on my mind. Also you guys have thoughts on progressive or specific rate springs. I read up on the difference just seeing what you guys think?
Martinna
¯
Member # 12493

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Martinna  Ford pictures for Martinna        Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
You have a good setup so far. If you're in the mountains, upgrading the stock Fox brakes is mandatory. Not going to be able to keep it under $1000 if you consider the price of wheels and tires after a 5 lug 4 wheel disc upgrade.
70stang351w
¯
Member # 9948

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 70stang351w  Ford pictures for 70stang351w    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Well if he waits till Foxbody has them he parts out a cobra he usually sells everything for the front end swap for 400-500 or around there. not sure what else is needed sure it cant be much. I would get some MM SS lines, hawk pads, new rotors (if needed)

Did cobra swap on mt 96gt did SS lines and hawk blue Loved it... i kept the stock Rear gt calipers and had ss lines made with hawk blues.

[ 2017-04-25, 01:04 PM: Message edited by: 70stang351w ]

--------------------
1996 GT VERT /32v MOD - SOLD
1970 Mustang Coupe M-Code 351w

Black 02 SS
¯
Member # 5939

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Black 02 SS  Ford pictures for Black 02 SS    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by Martinna:
You have a good setup so far. If you're in the mountains, upgrading the stock Fox brakes is mandatory. Not going to be able to keep it under $1000 if you consider the price of wheels and tires after a 5 lug 4 wheel disc upgrade.

I would second the brakes. You aren't truly having fun on the twisty roads if you don't have the brakes to back it up. Otherwise, if you're on a budget I'd suggest looking at decent springs/Bilstein combo. Maybe sways if you can squeeze it in, too...and a good alignment to top it off.
i
¯
Member # 12534

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for i  Ford pictures for i    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by Black 02 SS:
quote:
Originally posted by Martinna:

I would second the brakes. You aren't truly having fun on the twisty roads if you don't have the brakes to back it up. Otherwise, if you're on a budget I'd suggest looking at decent springs/Bilstein combo. Maybe sways if you can squeeze it in, too...and a good alignment to top it off.
Front PBR from 99-04 then 94-95 spindles or track width from 96-04. 5 lug drums. I would do this. Or buy a kit. Go coilovers and bumper steer with a pan bar you'll have fun.

--------------------
86 Caged Coupe 5.0
91 Salvaged Coupe

Posts: 1901 | From: Sacramento | Registered: Nov 2012  |  :
Aztec 5.0
¯
Member # 13859

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Aztec 5.0  Ford pictures for Aztec 5.0    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Thanks guys. Looking at springs/shocks/struts. Will save up for breaks. Anybody to 4 lug rear discs. Or is 5 lug going to give me better breaking because of the possibility of bigger rotors.
Martinna
¯
Member # 12493

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Martinna  Ford pictures for Martinna        Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
5 lug gives you more wheel choices, wider wheels to run wider tires on and larger diameter wheels to run bigger discs on. All the advantages are with 5 lugs, unless you want to run factory wheels. You can find larger diameter 5 lug aftermarket Pony rims though.
Aztec 5.0
¯
Member # 13859

I like the old school pony look but could move up to 17's. Don't really care about wheel options for looks. I just want to have better breaking without breaking the bank
1996 GT
I'm Joe Yates
Member # 4992

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 1996 GT  Ford pictures for 1996 GT    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I'd get 4 lug 20 inch cobras

--------------------
http://i.magaimg.net/img/257w.png

fredfifty
Since
9/2010
Member # 10320

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for fredfifty  Ford pictures for fredfifty    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by 135.0:
I'd get 4 lug 20 inch cobras

lol

--------------------
RIP EDSON VELORO
IM A NOOB, EXCUSE ME. THANKS.
92 LX Coupe 5.0 CARB'd BOLT-ONS SMOG LEGAL
62 Rag Impala

Aztec 5.0
¯
Member # 13859

wow
NEIGHT
¯
Member # 8741

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for NEIGHT  Ford pictures for NEIGHT    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
You can convert to disk all around for under $1,000 but it'll have to be GT stuff and won't be fox length. I had to convert to disk all around on my car because after I finished building it and gave it a test the brakes were horrible.

--------------------
-Savage Habits-
1992 Summer Edition
1986 Hatch- catfish killer
1964 Impala hard top

Posts: 18528 | From: EA$T $IDE REDWOOD CITY | Registered: Nov 2008  |  :
Aztec 5.0
¯
Member # 13859

decided to go suspension any recommendations?
GTCONV86
¯
Member # 5385

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for GTCONV86  Ford pictures for GTCONV86    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Do the subframe connectors,MM strut tower brace.MM 4POINT SUBFRAME BRACE.poly swaybar bushings and end links.MONEY will be well spent.
50Reasons
¯
Member # 6452

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 50Reasons  Ford pictures for 50Reasons    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
If u keep an eye out u cAn usually find a three link set up for under that... lca, pan hard bar and tourque arm second hand

--------------------
50Reasons Car Club President
Daniel/50Reasons
http://youtu.be/n_UkDg_F4MQ
https://youtu.be/066xRvxKy-g

Posts: 9483 | From: Sacramento Ca | Registered: Jan 2006  |  :
Aztec 5.0
¯
Member # 13859

How do you guys like the ford B springs vs the Steeda sports? Both are progressive. Not too much out there on the Steeda's but the little I've seen is all good. Got the Koni's and rear control arms ready to go
SLOWBACK 67
¯
Member # 6348

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for SLOWBACK 67  Ford pictures for SLOWBACK 67    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I vote to take the 1000.00 and open up a brokerage account. Short the market for a few more months and make up your losses when the market tanks.

With your profits, you can buy whatever you want for the stang. [patriot]

[ 2017-05-08, 03:15 PM: Message edited by: SLOWBACK 67 ]

--------------------
Originally posted by turbo50:
I have no intenions of keeping anyones parts or taking anyones money.

Aztec 5.0
¯
Member # 13859

slowback, don't know what that means so back to the question of Steeda or Ford B springs?
Aztec 5.0
¯
Member # 13859

Well pulled the trigger on the Steeda sport springs, Koni Str.t struts/shocks. BBK LCA's and caster camber plates. Hopefully I will be able to get it on this weekend
Aztec 5.0
¯
Member # 13859

Well I'm happy to report that this set up is awesome. Stays flat in the corners. Break dive has been reduced drastically. The ride quality is stiffer but not jarring. I did not go with a bump steers kit and have not experienced any bump steer. Got it aligned to factory no problem and had them add a very slight camber. It will never see the track but will carve up the mountain roads every weekend. I am very happy with the outcome.
gq916
¯
Member # 8540

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for gq916  Ford pictures for gq916    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
maximum motorsport coilovers in the front.

--------------------
Zinc Yellow 2003 Mach1
Maximum Motorsport Suspension

White 1996 Cobra-Sold 3/2013
Tuned by ForceFed
AED Dyno 308rwhp 283rwtq SAE

Posts: 306 | From: sacramento | Registered: Jul 2008  |  :

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com