Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » General Talk   » Trying to decide on a truck... What should I buy?

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: Trying to decide on a truck... What should I buy?
wilit
Mustang Messiah
Member # 3367

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for wilit  Ford pictures for wilit  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I've got a budget of $40k max. These are my top 3 candidates.

2010/11 Raptor @ ~$37k - At this price it's going to be a 65k-80k mile truck. I really love the Raptor, but is it really worth this kind of money? Also, mileage sucks. My truck now gets 14mpg and it's slower than dogshit. So I figure if I'm going to get shit mileage, I might as well have fun with it. Also, the truck will be a little old at 7 years.

2012/13 F250 4x4 Powerstroke @ ~$40k - This is at the max end of the range of my budget but it seems like the best value for money as far as longevity goes. I've seen trucks with as few as 20k miles and as high as 60k in this price range. It's also a lot of truck and I'm only going to be towing a small pop up trailer or aluminum fishing boat, so this may be overkill. But the power and mileage is a nice plus.

2015/16 F150 4x4 w/3.5 Ecoboost @ ~$37k - I really like the new F150 and love the 3.5 Eco engine. For someone that likes to modify shit, this seems like a great platform to start with a 4" lift, 35" tires and a tune. That'll get me close to Raptor performance for not a whole lot of cash and I get a significantly newer truck.

--------------------
"If a man hasn't found something worth dying for, he isn't fit to live." - Martin Luther King Jr.

Posts: 4793 | From: 37.78514° North 122.40100° West | Registered: Oct 2003  |  :
ed650
¯
Member # 9897

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for ed650  Ford pictures for ed650    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I'd go for the ecoboost because it looks good, mostliekly low mileage and warranty.

--------------------
410w Hatch
306Ci Coupe

Posts: 1744 | From: menlo park | Registered: Apr 2010  |  :
Blu50Stang
CAFords OG
Member # 489

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Blu50Stang  Ford pictures for Blu50Stang    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Sounds like an F150 will be all the truck you need, so I'd pass on the F250. I think 1st gen Raptors are great, but overpriced. Of the 3, I'd go Eco Boost.

--------------------
Ross
'88 GT - 5.0&SF 4/04 | MM&FF 8/09 | MM&FF 79-93 Mustang Performance Cover 12/12
'17 GT350R

stanger00
¯
Member # 13818

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for stanger00  Ford pictures for stanger00    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I've seen a couple 2015 F150 SCrew 302a 3.5 ecoboost 4x4 chrome and sports with 20-35k miles in the $34k range. I'm looking for a 2015 SCrew 2.7 ecoboost but haven't seen any that are 302a (luxury) options.

Those 2010-2011 raptors are nice but the money they're still getting is ridiculous and who knows what they've been through.

--------------------
2000 Mustang GT Aluminator, TFS, Vortech, AED

Martinna
¯
Member # 12493

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Martinna  Ford pictures for Martinna        Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
F150 is the most logical. The Raptor gives exclusivity. A vote for the F150 here.
1996 GT
I'm Joe Yates
Member # 4992

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 1996 GT  Ford pictures for 1996 GT    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Lightning

--------------------
http://i.magaimg.net/img/257w.png

NEIGHT
¯
Member # 8741

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for NEIGHT  Ford pictures for NEIGHT    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Well if you reread your post you'll see you sound more like you're on the EcoBoost side. In other words you already made your choice and I agree although Raptors are bad ass.

--------------------
-Savage Habits-
1992 Summer Edition
1986 Hatch- catfish killer
1964 Impala hard top

Posts: 18526 | From: EA$T $IDE REDWOOD CITY | Registered: Nov 2008  |  :
wilit
Mustang Messiah
Member # 3367

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for wilit  Ford pictures for wilit  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by 135.0:
Lightning

Not 4x4, so nope.

--------------------
"If a man hasn't found something worth dying for, he isn't fit to live." - Martin Luther King Jr.

Posts: 4793 | From: 37.78514° North 122.40100° West | Registered: Oct 2003  |  :
wilit
Mustang Messiah
Member # 3367

quote:
Originally posted by NEIGHT:
Well if you reread your post you'll see you sound more like you're on the EcoBoost side. In other words you already made your choice and I agree although Raptors are bad ass.

Yeah, but I REALLY like the Raptor. I did just see on the Ford site a lease for a 2.7 Eco 4x4 STX for $219/mo. That might be a good way to go until the 2017 Raptors start hitting the used market in a couple of years. [Smile]

--------------------

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com