Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » General Talk   » 93 cobra intake

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: 93 cobra intake
fredfifty
Since
9/2010
Member # 10320

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for fredfifty  Ford pictures for fredfifty    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Do they pass visual and how do you know if its a repro?

--------------------
RIP EDSON VELORO
IM A NOOB, EXCUSE ME. THANKS.
92 LX Coupe 5.0 CARB'd BOLT-ONS SMOG LEGAL
62 Rag Impala

TR1
98COBRA.COM
Member # 296

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for TR1  Ford pictures for TR1    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by fredfifty:
Do they pass visual and how do you know if its a repro?

I would think it would pass a visual inspection because it was a factory part in 1993. The factory one should have a Ford part number.

--------------------
Yep.

Posts: 1381 | From: Bay Area, CA. | Registered: Jun 2001  |  :
fredfifty
Since
9/2010
Member # 10320

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for fredfifty  Ford pictures for fredfifty    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Im hoping. Ive searched around online and read that the 2003 ford racing parts catalog has it in writing that says it is a "direct replacement part", but i cant find that catalog on ebay. I would just like something in writing to show the tech come smog time in 2 years.

Does anybody here have anything in writing to erase any doubt that it will pass a visual?

--------------------
RIP EDSON VELORO
62 Rag Impala

norcalstangman
¯
Member # 8387

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for norcalstangman  Ford pictures for norcalstangman  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
The repo will have ford racing plaque on the throttle body neck.
Posts: 444 | From: san mateo, ca | Registered: May 2008  |  :
fredfifty
Since
9/2010
Member # 10320

If thats true, then i have a non repro. Cool.

--------------------
RIP EDSON VELORO
62 Rag Impala

Martinna
¯
Member # 12493

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Martinna  Ford pictures for Martinna        Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Look up California Air Resources Board executive order D-308. Print it out and give it to your smog guy. Many Ford Motorsport parts are exempt under EO D-308. D-308-4 is for SN95 cars.

[ 2017-04-09, 11:43 PM: Message edited by: Martinna ]

fredfifty
Since
9/2010
Member # 10320

quote:
Originally posted by Martinna:
Look up California Air Resources Board executive order D-308. Print it out and give it to your smog guy. Many Ford Motorsport parts are exempt under EO D-308. D-308-4 is for SN95 cars.

i actually have that printed out as a back up, i was hoping there was something that specifically identifies the 93 cobra intake as a "direct replacement part" in writing.

also, will there be a problem if i have the 1" upper intake spacer?

--------------------
RIP EDSON VELORO
62 Rag Impala

Martinna
¯
Member # 12493

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Martinna  Ford pictures for Martinna        Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
They shouldn't care. It sounds like you need to find a better smog shop if they care about these kinds of things that has nothing to do with hydrocarbon output. You don't want to run a spacer anyways, unless you mill the lower intake and port match it again to the upper. The EFI SBF runners are already too long to make power up top.
fredfifty
Since
9/2010
Member # 10320

quote:
Originally posted by Martinna:
They shouldn't care. It sounds like you need to find a better smog shop if they care about these kinds of things that has nothing to do with hydrocarbon output. You don't want to run a spacer anyways, unless you mill the lower intake and port match it again to the upper. The EFI SBF runners are already too long to make power up top.

its not due for smog for another 2 years, im just preparing myself (or over preparing lol)

theres a spacer to clear the tall ford racing valve covers (carb).

--------------------
RIP EDSON VELORO
62 Rag Impala

Martinna
¯
Member # 12493

Too early to start stressing. Passing the visual isn't a big problem. Don't offer the EO papers unless the guy asks. Passing the sniffer is slightly harder. Running as little timing as you can is the trick. 7 degrees base is the minimum allowed. You can run even less timing with a chip. Less than 20 total drops NOx and HC on all Mustangs. Retarded timing makes the exhaust gas extremely hot which burns everything up.

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com