Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » General Talk   » Tired of Smog! (Page 2)

- Email this post to someone!   Page: 1  2   
Author Topic: Tired of Smog!
68dustin
CAFords OG
Member # 5388

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 68dustin  Ford pictures for 68dustin    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Lake county here.. [Razz]

--------------------
"As I lay rubber down the street, I pray for traction that I can keep, and if I do begin to slide, please dear God protect me and my ride!"

Posts: 3984 | From: neverland | Registered: Feb 2005  |  :
Martinna
¯
Member # 12493

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Martinna  Ford pictures for Martinna        Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Please register your vintage hotrod vehicles in the gray counties listed on this map http://smogcheck.ca.gov/pdf/Program_Map.pdf Avoid orange ones. The gray counties only require smog when you change ownership. The government has no justification to restrict Sunday cruisers.

The less timing you run, the lower your hydrocarbon and NOx numbers will be. Just under 20 degrees timing total will pass the sniffer on most cars.

[ 2016-10-20, 01:47 AM: Message edited by: Martinna ]

50 Deep
Jockin 03 Cobras
Member # 6216

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 50 Deep  Ford pictures for 50 Deep  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Or you could put smog legal parts on your car and enjoy the fresh air.

--------------------
Signature Wheel Ford Representative
Email: Terrance@Signaturewheel.com
Instagram: @Signature_Wheel_Mustang
Web: www.SignatureWheel.com

Posts: 6043 | From: sacramento | Registered: Nov 2005  |  :
9cobra7
¯
Member # 2812

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 9cobra7  Ford pictures for 9cobra7    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by 50 Deep:

That all sounds great but its not reality about breathing "fresh" air; its about money, nothing less. They'd like you to think that though.

So in all these smog free counties, apparently they don't care about people breathing in polluted air? I thought each and every person makes a difference and counts? How could they possibly not care about the people in smog free counties?? All those city officials in those counties should be fired immediately and comply with CARB NOW!!

Certainly those people are just as susceptible to getting lung cancer like the rest of us in the bay area?

What about passing a sniffer but not visual? Isn't it what comes out of the exhaust pipe what matters? Isn't that what we breathe?

If my car now has better performance, burns cleaner and uses less fuel, isn't that better for the environment? If I now get 25mpg instead of 23, isn't that a good thing? Times that by millions of people doing it, now that would make a difference.

All these other countries don't do any of this and pollute the $#@& out of the world. We breathe all that at some point. The real problem is over population and nothing is being done about that. The more people, the more resources are used, the more problems.

People need to start thinking before they have kids nowadays, or how many you should have.

--------------------
If you can't walk and chew gum at the same time, don't walk.

Martinna
¯
Member # 12493

Ford Icon 2 posted      Profile for Martinna  Ford pictures for Martinna        Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
9cobra7 makes good points.

50 Deep -------- no one daily drives cars made in the 80s anymore. There is no reason the government requires smogs on the few 1980s cars on the road. The same is becoming true of cars made in the 90s. 50 Deep is right. SMOG is no longer about clean air. It's about taxes, which people call revenue these days. Do you really think there are that many 20+ year old cars still on the road every day to pollute your fresh air? Or is the pollution coming from those diesel buses driving around your city all day with plumes of black smoke coming out, with only three people inside? Or is the pollution coming from hundreds of thousands of newer VW cars with rigged computer code to pass the sniffer? The SMOG system is rigged folks.

The only people I know of in support of the SMOG revenue industry do so because their pay checks depend on it. They're on the take.

NEIGHT
¯
Member # 8741

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for NEIGHT  Ford pictures for NEIGHT    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by 9cobra7:
quote:

That all sounds great but its not reality about breathing "fresh" air; its about money, nothing less. They'd like you to think that though.

So in all these smog free counties, apparently they don't care about people breathing in polluted air? I thought each and every person makes a difference and counts? How could they possibly not care about the people in smog free counties?? All those city officials in those counties should be fired immediately and comply with CARB NOW!!

Certainly those people are just as susceptible to getting lung cancer like the rest of us in the bay area?

What about passing a sniffer but not visual? Isn't it what comes out of the exhaust pipe what matters? Isn't that what we breathe?

If my car now has better performance, burns cleaner and uses less fuel, isn't that better for the environment? If I now get 25mpg instead of 23, isn't that a good thing? Times that by millions of people doing it, now that would make a difference.

All these other countries don't do any of this and pollute the $#@& out of the world. We breathe all that at some point. The real problem is over population and nothing is being done about that. The more people, the more resources are used, the more problems.

People need to start thinking before they have kids nowadays, or how many you should have.

You're right, it's like everything else in this country, money driven. I've already smogged my BMW 3 fucking years in a row because of some BULLSHIT ass computer problems(supposedly my test never got sent to the state) but what the fuck am I suppose to do when I NEED my stickers or else I get tickets?

--------------------
-Savage Habits-
1992 Summer Edition
1986 Hatch- catfish killer
1964 Impala hard top

Posts: 18526 | From: EA$T $IDE REDWOOD CITY | Registered: Nov 2008  |  :
50 Deep
Jockin 03 Cobras
Member # 6216

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 50 Deep  Ford pictures for 50 Deep  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Pound the keyboard and rant all you want boys. As the law stands the path of least resistance to the OP's problem is to put smog legal parts on his car. But by all means keep fighting the good fight and have the headache every two years. I played that game when I was younger and it's just not worth it.

The value of enjoying my car 24/7/365 without worry of going to the referee or blowing increased carbon emissions into the air as I drive by a park where kids play is worth he extra 40hp that nobody cares about

--------------------
Signature Wheel Ford Representative
Email: Terrance@Signaturewheel.com
Instagram: @Signature_Wheel_Mustang
Web: www.SignatureWheel.com

Posts: 6043 | From: sacramento | Registered: Nov 2005  |  :
phildog
¯
Member # 1214

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for phildog  Ford pictures for phildog    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I agree that clean air benefits all of us. But, if California's emissions laws were really about the clean air that kids playing in parks are breathing, then there would be tailpipe emission tests only. If the engine runs clean, but I have non CARB parts on it, I fail smog. It's a state money grab.

I do not take offense to tailpipe emission testing. But visual tests have little to no relevance to OUR air quality.

[ 2016-10-21, 10:15 PM: Message edited by: phildog ]

5POINTAMRIT
¯
Member # 11311

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 5POINTAMRIT  Ford pictures for 5POINTAMRIT    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
My sister lives in Mendocino county and she doesn't have to smog after 5 years. If you register your car depending on the county you wouldn't have to until 5 years I think chico is the same I could be wrong though

--------------------
2017 Mustang GT
2003 DSG Cobra
1991 Mustang 5.0- Sold
1990 Mustang 5.0 331 Stroker 402rwhp- SOLD
Supercharged 01 Mustang GT 368rwhp-SOLD

JZTRK
¯
Member # 7641

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for JZTRK  Ford pictures for JZTRK    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by Martinna:
Retarding timing is the secret to passing the sniff test. Any V8 running about 20 degrees total and a pair of cats will pass clean.

you can do this and fail when the tech checks timing with his light
Posts: 771 | From: My 44 Magnum says HI | Registered: May 2007  |  :
stanger00
¯
Member # 13818

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for stanger00  Ford pictures for stanger00    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:

We'll run out of water before we run out of 'fresh' air

--------------------
2000 Mustang GT Aluminator, TFS, Vortech, AED

Martinna
¯
Member # 12493

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Martinna  Ford pictures for Martinna        Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
JZTRK --- Not advocating anything in this thread, but anyone that has worked on a car knows there are many ways around this.

VW showed the world the timing advance can be limited by reprogramming the computer.

The ability of the computer to advance the timing can be disabled.

The timing tape on the balancer can have an offset.

Rely on the laziness of a tech that doesn't want to look on a rusted balancer. A bright paint mark on an old rusted balancer will be good enough for the tech to assume the mark represents 10 BTDC.

Those are just four ways to limit the timing to just under 20 degrees. Everyone knows just under 20 degrees total timing puts out clean NOx and HC numbers no matter what. People here can think of more ways. Not advocating any one of them.

I suspect the lone person advocating for tighter emissions regulations has financial ties to the SMOG industry. Full disclosure, I do not have financial ties for or against the SMOG industry. People should disclose financial ties if they want their unreasonable claims taken seriously.

1996 GT
I'm Joe Yates
Member # 4992

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 1996 GT  Ford pictures for 1996 GT    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
He's probably someone who respects the laws that the people have put in place. Might not agree with the law but the law is the law unless you can change the law then trying to manipulate the system will continue to be more difficult than just following the law.

--------------------
http://i.magaimg.net/img/257w.png

Page: 1  2   
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com