Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » General Talk   » Good subwoofer recommendations....

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: Good subwoofer recommendations....
NEIGHT
¯
Member # 8741

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for NEIGHT  Ford pictures for NEIGHT    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
What's a good bang for your buck subwoofer for a car? The one in my car finally gave out after 10 years. Looking for a 10" sub in particular with a good crisp thump. Doesn't have to be the most powerful one just one that'll sound good inside rather than the outside if that makes sense.

[ 2016-10-05, 07:40 AM: Message edited by: NEIGHT ]

--------------------
-Savage Habits-
1992 Summer Edition
1986 Hatch- catfish killer
1964 Impala hard top

Posts: 18526 | From: EA$T $IDE REDWOOD CITY | Registered: Nov 2008  |  :
POWERED BY FORD
¯
Member # 9204

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for POWERED BY FORD  Ford pictures for POWERED BY FORD    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I like how my jl audio w3 sounds, nice clean bass

http://www.crutchfield.com/p_13693136/JL-Audio-HO112RG-W3v3.html?tp=112&awkw=52119652609&awat=pla&awnw=g&awcr=74029576225&awdv=m

NEIGHT
¯
Member # 8741

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for NEIGHT  Ford pictures for NEIGHT    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Thanks, I'll look into JL Audio. What do you guys think about Kicker?

[ 2016-10-05, 10:50 AM: Message edited by: NEIGHT ]

--------------------
-Savage Habits-
1992 Summer Edition
1964 Impala hard top

Marks93
¯
Member # 11130

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Marks93  Ford pictures for Marks93    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by NEIGHT:
Thanks, I'll look into JL Audio. What do you guys think about Kicker?

I had dual 8" Kickers powered by only a 300 watt Kicker amp. Loved it. Drove the bass real nice for Rock n Roll.
RiddlerGT
Midnight King
Member # 113

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for RiddlerGT  Ford pictures for RiddlerGT  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Been a big fan of JL for a long time, they work and work and continue to work. The W3 line is by far the best bang for your buck, than the W6.. The W7 will get obnoxious but they are power hogs.

It really boils down to box configuration (Ported/ Sealed) and how much Cubic Feet of air do you have to play with. Are you going for SQ or wake the neighbors?

Honestly the AMP drives the Sub that should be your first question which AMP are you using?

--------------------
SR

Posts: 2292 | From: San Ramon | Registered: Dec 2000  |  :
NEIGHT
¯
Member # 8741

quote:
Originally posted by RiddlerGT:
Been a big fan of JL for a long time, they work and work and continue to work. The W3 line is by far the best bang for your buck, than the W6.. The W7 will get obnoxious but they are power hogs.

It really boils down to box configuration (Ported/ Sealed) and how much Cubic Feet of air do you have to play with. Are you going for SQ or wake the neighbors?

Honestly the AMP drives the Sub that should be your first question which AMP are you using?

Thanks for the info. I'm using a small 12"x16"x16" ported box with a older Earthquake 1000w amp. I'm going for sound quality rather than shaking the block up, just enough to where the interior is thumping a little not the outside.

--------------------
-Savage Habits-
1992 Summer Edition
1964 Impala hard top

RiddlerGT
Midnight King
Member # 113

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for RiddlerGT  Ford pictures for RiddlerGT  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Ok so I'm getting 1.7 Cubic Ft with that box? Do you know the port length ? Do you have any idea what it's tuned for?

This is what id buy
http://www.jlaudio.com/10w3v3-4-car-audio-w3v3-subwoofer-drivers-92151

Id throw out the earthquake...junk

Id also throw out the ported box and build a sealed box to the spec's of the W3.

Id get an ArcAudio , Hertz , Audison for amp.

I've got a ArcAudio Kar 600.2 amp coming out of my boat that will be for sale soon if you're trying to stay on a budget. leaps and bounds better than earthquake.

--------------------
SR

Posts: 2292 | From: San Ramon | Registered: Dec 2000  |  :
Blk93Pony
¯
Member # 10798

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Blk93Pony  Ford pictures for Blk93Pony    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I've had the same Rockford Fosgate T1 and matching amp for 6-7 years now still hitting hard. Sounds real good for only being one sub

--------------------
Black 93 Mustang GT - currently down
Pearl Black 06 Chrysler 300C SRT-8 - stock for now

NorCalRydaz
¯
Member # 3233

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for NorCalRydaz  Ford pictures for NorCalRydaz    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Run a Kicker Comp VR in a ported box and be done.

It hits hard, on budget and will never die.

Bent70
¯
Member # 9694

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bent70  Ford pictures for Bent70    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Diamond audio d3.....I have a 10" in a custom ported box around 20hz I think....sound really good and goes deep.

--------------------
some stangs and thangs

89_Faleen
¯
Member # 10728

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 89_Faleen  Ford pictures for 89_Faleen    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Look into sundown audio sa-10, soundqubed hds210. They are both underrated on power can easily take 1000 watts each of clean power. Look them up on YouTube . Won't be disappointed
theconductor
¯
Member # 13458

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for theconductor  Ford pictures for theconductor    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by Bent70:
Diamond audio d3.....I have a 10" in a custom ported box around 20hz I think....sound really good and goes deep.

I absolutely love my Diamond D6 12". Best sub I've owned.

I am a big fan of JL as well. Can't go wrong with them.

--------------------
Woke Bruh

Posts: 349 | From: Roseville, CA | Registered: Feb 2014  |  :
BUKSING
¯
Member # 6594

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for BUKSING  Ford pictures for BUKSING    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I test fitted a JL Audio w6 12" ported box. But costs $750 for one 12 [Eek!]

-

Ended up buying a dual 12" ported box and threw in my 20 year old kicker comps and they slap hard. Not bad for 20 years old.
 -
 -

[ 2016-10-05, 11:58 PM: Message edited by: BUKSING ]

BUKSING
¯
Member # 6594

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for BUKSING  Ford pictures for BUKSING    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Gotta have the remote bass knob too.

-

NEIGHT
¯
Member # 8741

Thanks for all the suggestions fellas. Good to see we're still out here helping each other out on the forums. [patriot]

--------------------
-Savage Habits-
1992 Summer Edition
1964 Impala hard top

Mr.10psi
¯
Member # 11062

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mr.10psi  Ford pictures for Mr.10psi  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
It just depends man on how much sound quality your looking for or if you straight want something that just rips. For sq a sealed box would sound better and more crisp. As for the sub the jl w3 and some older alpine type r subs sound decent as well for the price. Personally me when i get back in that game im going with a sealed box and with older model dayton ho subs.

--------------------
02 white saleen(sold) 347 stroker in the works

El Caballo
¯
Member # 6355

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for El Caballo  Ford pictures for El Caballo    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I have 1 10" PSI platform 3 on my DD.
You should go for this, you never know when Rodney O' & joe cooley will show up in your deck with everlasting bass lol

I know I'm old

BUKSING
¯
Member # 6594

quote:
Originally posted by El Caballo:
I have 1 10" PSI platform 3 on my DD.
You should go for this, you never know when Rodney O' & joe cooley will show up in your deck with everlasting bass lol

I know I'm old

-
NK2186
¯
Member # 12319

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for NK2186  Ford pictures for NK2186    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
i have owned multiple sets of kicker comp vr dual voice coil 12" woofers. always in a sealed box so they slap! 2 of those bad boys and a cheap 1000w amp used to make the windshield wipers jump and the roof cave in haha

--------------------
90 LX 5.0 - Stolen/stripped
89 LX 5.0 - Stolen and missing as of 7-24-13. LIC# 4HIP151 :(
99 Cobra
00 Exploder

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com