Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » General Talk   » Home surveillance (Page 2)

- Email this post to someone!   Page: 1  2   
Author Topic: Home surveillance
Blue92
¯
Member # 8789

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Blue92  Ford pictures for Blue92    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Jesus dude, I got cameras so my girl can sleep better at night. If these things hanging off my house will keep the punks away, I am going to do it.

If the government wants to tap into them and see how my landscaping looks, enjoy. SMH. Not everything in life has to be some fucking conspiracy. You must live like Brill in Enemy of the State.

Anyways, Wildfire I heard nothing but good things about that set up.

Wildfire532FB
CAFords OG
Member # 1482

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Wildfire532FB  Ford pictures for Wildfire532FB  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by Blue92:
Jesus dude, I got cameras so my girl can sleep better at night. If these things hanging off my house will keep the punks away, I am going to do it.

If the government wants to tap into them and see how my landscaping looks, enjoy. SMH. Not everything in life has to be some fucking conspiracy. You must live like Brill in Enemy of the State.

Anyways, Wildfire I heard nothing but good things about that set up.

Ok cool thanks for the info. I am thinking about getting one and setting it up.

--------------------
./_ _ _ ___ __\
(]]]_ _ o _ _[[[)
|\_o_ __ __o_/|
|__|..........|__|
68 Fastback
84 CJ7
94 HMMWV
95 GT
03 F350
17 Fusion Hybrid

phonso302
¯
Member # 9260

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for phonso302  Ford pictures for phonso302    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I was debating on wireless vs wired. Ended up getting some cheap p.o.e set up on ebay zmodo. One wire to run power and video. Easy set up and came with a free viewing app. Cameras are 720p with night vision.8 cameras, 1tb hard drive,remote viewing for less then 300 bucks . Like you said they make my wife feel a little safer when she is alone,she is able to see every entrance point to our home in one click. And we can check the cameras when we are not home. I'll screenever shot some pictures in pitch black so you can see them in action.
NEIGHT
¯
Member # 8741

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for NEIGHT  Ford pictures for NEIGHT    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Just out of curiosity, what kind of areas do you guys live in? I'm assuming wealthy areas with vulnerable people?

--------------------
-Savage Habits-
1992 Summer Edition
1986 Hatch- catfish killer
1964 Impala hard top

Posts: 18526 | From: EA$T $IDE REDWOOD CITY | Registered: Nov 2008  |  :
venomous99
¯
Member # 1917

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for venomous99  Ford pictures for venomous99    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
the benefit of cameras isnt isolated to more affluent neighborhoods.

i just installed an alarm system a few weeks ago and a 8 ch wired camera setup is next. still havent decided what to get yet as there is far too many systems out there. im leaning towards one of the higher rated amazon systems that has one wire routing. most are priced reasonably under $500.
i really like the arlo setup but hate the fact that there is no option to power it externally. having to change out batteries might suck . at the same time the wireless capability is a plus for many.

--------------------
MKII Q7
89LX

Martinna
¯
Member # 12493

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Martinna  Ford pictures for Martinna        Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Blue92 ------ you often make big leaps and put words in my mouth. It's not if the government wants to tap into your web cameras. They already record it all. Exactly what do you think laws like the Patriot Act allows the government to do? Your home cameras should not be connected on the internet. They should not be wireless. Otherwise they are not secure. Period. There is no such thing as a back door for the good guys. If your government can access them, then so can other governments and individual bad guys. Want proof? Look at what was given to Wikileaks about Clinton.

Wildfire532FB ---- I thought you were a patriot? Why do you desperately support Nest-Google when Nest Google lets Clinton fly around for free in their company jet, campaigning and raising money against your candidate? Google CEO's emails even boasts Google can turn out voters for Clinton. They were already caught manipulating search results to favor Clinton. Why do you insist on giving full access to all your communications, privacy and hard earned cash to an organization that does not represent your beliefs? There are alternatives. Or maybe you're not the constitution loving patriot you imagine yourself as.

[ 2016-11-08, 05:26 PM: Message edited by: Martinna ]

Wildfire532FB
CAFords OG
Member # 1482

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Wildfire532FB  Ford pictures for Wildfire532FB  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by NEIGHT:
Just out of curiosity, what kind of areas do you guys live in? I'm assuming wealthy areas with vulnerable people?

I live in the woods

--------------------
./_ _ _ ___ __\
(]]]_ _ o _ _[[[)
|\_o_ __ __o_/|
|__|..........|__|
68 Fastback
84 CJ7
94 HMMWV
95 GT
03 F350
17 Fusion Hybrid

Blue92
¯
Member # 8789

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Blue92  Ford pictures for Blue92    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Wanted to bump this. No longer in a rental and need to do some more research for a wired setup.

What's out there now, guys?

Fostang
¯
Member # 3752

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Fostang  Ford pictures for Fostang    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
NVG for storage.

POE cameras with minimum 4K resolution

Look into hikvision.

My set up consists of 16 high res cams plus LPR and 30x zoom PTZ. Auto tract and being able to read plates of who ever come by is where it’s at. Don’t cheapen on security. It’s worth every penny. Sure it’s not all fool proof but it’s just a portion of having layered security.

--------------------
67' Fastback TT 408
67' Camaro Lsx
64' Corvette Fuelie
57' Chevy Bel Air Lsx
68’ Pony Convertible
66’ Pony Coupe

Posts: 3011 | From: Stockton/Danville | Registered: Nov 2003  |  :
AL STOCK
Its All Stock
Cuzzon
Member # 1852

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for AL STOCK  Ford pictures for AL STOCK  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by Fostang:
NVG for storage.

POE cameras with minimum 4K resolution

Look into hikvision.

My set up consists of 16 high res cams plus LPR and 30x zoom PTZ. Auto tract and being able to read plates of who ever come by is where it’s at. Don’t cheapen on security. It’s worth every penny. Sure it’s not all fool proof but it’s just a portion of having layered security.

+1

Hikvision or Lorex w/ 4k and color night vision.

Posts: 6498 | From: San Bruno | Registered: Sep 2002  |  :
sic70stang
CAFords OG
Member # 4347

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for sic70stang  Ford pictures for sic70stang    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:

You mean people with a lot to lose?

--------------------
The anti-crew
1987 rolling safety violation.

Posts: 6940 | From: California | Registered: Jul 2005  |  :
NorCalRydaz
¯
Member # 3233

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for NorCalRydaz  Ford pictures for NorCalRydaz    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by sic70stang:
quote:

You mean people with a lot to lose?
Lol
adower
¯
Member # 5955

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for adower  Ford pictures for adower    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I had a buddy who works at adt hook me up.
6 cameras
24/7 streaming
Security system
Phone notification

I thought it was overkill but being able to check in and watch my dogs or anyone drive by or walk on my property is nice.

--------------------
98 Cobra
Griggs
S Trim
HRE

Martinna
¯
Member # 12493

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Martinna  Ford pictures for Martinna        Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by Martinna:

Wildfire532FB ---- I thought you were a patriot? Why do you desperately support Nest-Google when Nest Google lets Clinton fly around for free in their company jet, campaigning and raising money against your candidate? Google CEO's emails even boasts Google can turn out voters for Clinton. They were already caught manipulating search results to favor Clinton. Why do you insist on giving full access to all your communications, privacy and hard earned cash to an organization that does not represent your beliefs? There are alternatives. Or maybe you're not the constitution loving patriot you imagine yourself as.

The same corrupt google was caught secretly putting in a microphone in their Nest thermostats -------- http://fortune.com/2019/02/21/privacy-group-to-ftc-divest-google-of-nest-over-hidden-mic/ https://www.pressherald.com/2019/02/21/google-nest-device-has-microphone-it-forgot-to-mention/

Why do you support crooked companies that support crooked Hillary?

Blue92
¯
Member # 8789

What are your guys thoughts on a system like this?

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/lorex-8-channel-8-camera-indoor-outdoor-wired-4k-2tb-dvr-surveillance-system-white/6203503.p?skuId=6203503

Martinna
¯
Member # 12493

All of these cameras have back doors put in by the manufacturer------ FLIR's Lorex always gets caught having big security flaws giving everyone access to your videos https://www.pcworld.com/article/3034265/hard-coded-password-exposes-up-to-46000-video-surveillance-dvrs-to-hacking.html https://www.extremetech.com/extreme/147064-18-brands-of-security-cameras-are-susceptible-to-easy-hack They don't use open source software because people will see the back doors they code in. If you install closed source code cameras, do so knowing others can and will be watching you at a time of their choosing.
Blue92
¯
Member # 8789

What system would you recommend then?
Martinna
¯
Member # 12493

What application are you looking for? Indoor or outdoor? Do you plan to record the footage? Do you want to remotely view your cameras when not home?
Blue92
¯
Member # 8789

quote:
Originally posted by Martinna:
What application are you looking for? Indoor or outdoor? Do you plan to record the footage? Do you want to remotely view your cameras when not home?

Both. Yes and yes.
Martinna
¯
Member # 12493

I can tell you what to avoid. Anything that stores your video on the cloud. The cloud is a name for "someone else's computer". When videos of you in the privacy of inside your home are stored on someone else's computer, it means you don't own it. Corporations, individuals and the government necessarily have full access to it. Subscription services should be suspect. You want direct access to your cameras, not through someone else's portal which you don't own or control. A good starting point to research ------ https://opensource.com/tools/home-automation
castor
¯
Member # 2765

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for castor  Ford pictures for castor    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
ring.com

--------------------
SOLD!!! 7/07
Supercharged 92GT
352rwhp [old blower w/3 1/2lbs]
???rwhp w/S-Trim

2010 Acura MDX Tech/Entertainment
2013 Acura TL SH-AWD

Posts: 1457 | From: San Francisco | Registered: Apr 2003  |  :
Martinna
¯
Member # 12493

ring is the type of flawed product I was warning you about-------

https://www.digitaltrends.com/home/ring-video-doorbell-security-exploit/

https://www.idtheftcenter.org/ring-doorbell-security-flaw-is-part-of-a-bigger-problem/

https://knowtechie.com/ring-security-flaw/

https://gizmodo.com/amazons-ring-security-cameras-may-have-let-employees-sp-1831658669

MADMAVERICK
¯
Member # 10959

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for MADMAVERICK  Ford pictures for MADMAVERICK    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Alo pro 2

--------------------
1971 MAVERICK grabber
1962 ranchero
2017 MUSTANG ECHOBOOST
2017 FORD ESCAPE
2005 ROADKING
2005 DODGE RAM

Page: 1  2   
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com