Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » General Talk   » Home surveillance (Page 1)

- Email this post to someone!   Page: 1  2   
Author Topic: Home surveillance
Blue92
¯
Member # 8789

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Blue92  Ford pictures for Blue92    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I am in the market for a best bang for the buck setup. I am currently in a rental house and want to get a 2-4 camera set up. Prefer it to be wireless with night vision.

Anyone know of some decent systems out there currently? I know the pricing has dropped a lot lately.

1996 GT
I'm Joe Yates
Member # 4992

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 1996 GT  Ford pictures for 1996 GT    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Costco and you should build your own wall!

--------------------
http://i.magaimg.net/img/257w.png

moeofit32
¯
Member # 10393

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for moeofit32  Ford pictures for moeofit32    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Costco like sated above

--------------------
95 stroked and blown cobra

Posts: 2387 | From: antioch ca | Registered: Oct 2010  |  :
Blue92
¯
Member # 8789

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Blue92  Ford pictures for Blue92    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I will need to go in today and check it out. Looking online, the WiFi cameras are expensive.
wilit
Mustang Messiah
Member # 3367

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for wilit  Ford pictures for wilit  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I got a 4 camera system from Fry's. Get an 8 camera DVR with 4 cameras. That leaves you the option to add cameras if you want.

--------------------
"If a man hasn't found something worth dying for, he isn't fit to live." - Martin Luther King Jr.

Posts: 4793 | From: 37.78514° North 122.40100° West | Registered: Oct 2003  |  :
Blue92
¯
Member # 8789

I was quoted on a home system today, tell me what you think.

One camera at the driveway, one at the back door and one in the doorbell. Sensors on every window alerting opening or breaking of the glass. Sensors on the doors with capability of controlling locks from a mobile unit. $300 install fee waived, they do all the work. $75 a month with a 3 year contract and can transfer to another home if I move.

Opinions?

[ 2016-09-27, 03:03 PM: Message edited by: Blue92 ]

1996 GT
I'm Joe Yates
Member # 4992

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 1996 GT  Ford pictures for 1996 GT    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
2700 system bro, just buy one cash at costco. Or put it on a zero rate credit card.

--------------------

Blue92
¯
Member # 8789

Don't you need to have a lot of storage to hold the recordings?
Black 02 SS
¯
Member # 5939

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Black 02 SS  Ford pictures for Black 02 SS    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by Blue92:
Don't you need to have a lot of storage to hold the recordings?

Don't most systems have built in storage? If they don't, terrabyte+ external HD's are pretty reasonable nowadays. I don't think you need to keep the recordings for too long, anyway.

--------------------
Schwinn 18speed

LSFairmont
¯
Member # 6001

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for LSFairmont  Ford pictures for LSFairmont    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
There's a survalliance camera at Costco going on sale Thursday. It's called the Night owl
Posts: 3652 | From: the land of the lost | Registered: Sep 2005  |  :
FiveOGirl
¯
Member # 4294

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for FiveOGirl  Ford pictures for FiveOGirl    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I'm also looking for cemeras. Someone stole a ladder off my work truck on Saturday night.
Posts: 21 | From: San Francisco | Registered: Mar 2004  |  :
Blue92
¯
Member # 8789

Went to Costco last night. This system here looked like the best bang for the buck..

http://www.costco.com/Night-Owl-8-Channel-HD-Analog-DVR-with-1TB-HDD,-4-1080p-Cameras-with-100'-Night-Vision.product.100279231.html

But I am in a rental and didn't want to run wires through the house. So I went with this wire free unit...

http://www.costco.com/Arlo-Smart-Home-HD-Wireless-IP-Security-Camera-2-Pack.product.100293681.html

Took me a minute to set up and like 10 minutes to mount them where I wanted. So far it works pretty good. Motion sensors alert my phone when there is activity and you can adjust the sensitivity.

I figure I will trial run this for like a week and if we need something more, I will just return it and upgrade.

1996 GT
I'm Joe Yates
Member # 4992

Looking good!

--------------------

gq916
¯
Member # 8540

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for gq916  Ford pictures for gq916    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I've been also looking into a home surveillance system with at least 4 cameras. A wifi system would be way easier to set up but they are expensive and I haven't heard good reviews about them.

Let us know how it works out!

--------------------
Zinc Yellow 2003 Mach1
Maximum Motorsport Suspension

White 1996 Cobra-Sold 3/2013
Tuned by ForceFed
AED Dyno 308rwhp 283rwtq SAE

Posts: 306 | From: sacramento | Registered: Jul 2008  |  :
Blue92
¯
Member # 8789

quote:
Originally posted by gq916:
I've been also looking into a home surveillance system with at least 4 cameras. A wifi system would be way easier to set up but they are expensive and I haven't heard good reviews about them.

Let us know how it works out!

No complaints with this system as of yet. I am able to sync 3 more cameras so we have been trying to find a deal on them. They are expensive.
NvrGoFullRetard
CAFords OG
Member # 1633

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for NvrGoFullRetard  Ford pictures for NvrGoFullRetard  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I have a costco setup. Its the qsee brand and came with dvr,8 cameras all the wires for 299 delivered to my door. I then bought a $100 1080p hd tv and a $30 mount and wired everything into my internet so i can watch from anywhere.
Posts: 2759 | From: PITTSBURG/FAIRFIELD | Registered: Aug 2002  |  :
MUSTTANGUY
¯
Member # 2251

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for MUSTTANGUY  Ford pictures for MUSTTANGUY  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I have used Swann for quite a few years to cover my house and shop and recently upgraded to new Swann systems with 8 camera,1080P resolution, 2TB hard drive, and smart phone viewable. Works extremely well with a fantastic picture day or night. Recently caught a guy breaking into my neighbors truck toolbox at 2 am (great evidence video) and after chasing him for 8 minutes and having PD then CHP intercept and continue chase they were able to force off the road (after throwing items out window during chase) he is still in custody with several felonies)

--------------------
Tim (Musttanguy)
97 5.0 coupe
82 GT 427/T56/9"

slick5.0
¯
Member # 7521

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for slick5.0  Ford pictures for slick5.0    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
The system you got are pretty good but you got to have a good upload speed and you are going to be changing out a lot of batteries amazon nvr system is your best bet but you will have to run wires
Posts: 203 | From: sacramento | Registered: Mar 2007  |  :
Blue92
¯
Member # 8789

quote:
Originally posted by slick5.0:
The system you got are pretty good but you got to have a good upload speed and you are going to be changing out a lot of batteries amazon nvr system is your best bet but you will have to run wires

I'm sure I will be going through a lot of batteries. The perks of wire free I suppose. We are 2 weeks in with these and the battery life is at 50%. Luckily, it shows me that from the app. So batteries once a month or so it looks like.

Other than that, I am completely happy with this set up.

Martinna
¯
Member # 12493

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Martinna  Ford pictures for Martinna        Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Remember most wireless systems are vulnerable. Time and time again exploits come out against wireless cameras allowing anyone to snoop on you. Having wireless cameras or a security system connected to the internet is not secure.
Martinna
¯
Member # 12493

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Martinna  Ford pictures for Martinna        Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Since the post above, you might have heard about the big attack that in part used thousands of vulnerable internet connected security cameras ----
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/October_2016_Dyn_cyberattack

Impeccable timing.

Closed source hardware and software is never secure. The manufactures have something to hide, that's why they hide the source, so you can never fully learn what the software does and how it operates.

Look into open source solutions if you care about liberty and security.

[ 2016-10-27, 03:09 AM: Message edited by: Martinna ]

Wildfire532FB
CAFords OG
Member # 1482

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Wildfire532FB  Ford pictures for Wildfire532FB  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
What do you guys think about the "Nest" cameras?

--------------------
./_ _ _ ___ __\
(]]]_ _ o _ _[[[)
|\_o_ __ __o_/|
|__|..........|__|
68 Fastback
84 CJ7
94 HMMWV
95 GT
03 F350
17 Fusion Hybrid

Martinna
¯
Member # 12493

Ford Icon 4 posted      Profile for Martinna  Ford pictures for Martinna        Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Nest is a Google owned company. This is the governments own internal list of information Google gives on all their users ----- https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/f/f3/PRISM_Collection_Details.jpg

No warrant or suspicion needed! The government also tapped the fiber optic lines to google's data centers.

Go ahead, please use google products. They're not back doored. You're perfectly safe and secure with google. Just go to www.wikileaks.org and browse through the emails of Cliton's top advisors, General Col Powell, and many other's GMAIL google accounts.

Wildfire532FB
CAFords OG
Member # 1482

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Wildfire532FB  Ford pictures for Wildfire532FB  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I am a federal employee, the government tracks my movements and knows what I had for breakfast already and they probably know what I'll have tomorrow to before I do.
Are the Nest cameras good? They sound pretty awesome. Anyone use them?

--------------------
./_ _ _ ___ __\
(]]]_ _ o _ _[[[)
|\_o_ __ __o_/|
|__|..........|__|
68 Fastback
84 CJ7
94 HMMWV
95 GT
03 F350
17 Fusion Hybrid

Martinna
¯
Member # 12493

That's a huge misconception. No one is exempt from the mass surveillance system that was erected behind your backs. It doesn't matter if you are a government employee or unemployed. The system is designed to collect it all. Not just from those people over there in Elsewhereistan whose name you can't pronounce. You are not exempt. You can't possibly not believe in the 4th amendment, thought you were a patriot? The claim you have nothing to hide is ridiculous. We both know that's not true. Be honest with yourself.

Using a Nest camera or any other Google product means nothing it sees or hears is private. It's all recorded. The Nest is sold by a company whose business model is surveillance of their customers.

Page: 1  2   
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com