Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » General Talk   » Decided on a Boss 302! Finally brought her home 8/30/16! (Page 1)

- Email this post to someone!   Page: 1  2  3  4  5   
Author Topic: Decided on a Boss 302! Finally brought her home 8/30/16!
SydeWaySix
CAFords OG
Member # 3596

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for SydeWaySix  Ford pictures for SydeWaySix    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Anyone have experience with both and can shed some light on preference between the two? Assuming neither will be used as a daily driver, rather a nice weekend car and potentially an occasional trackday outing...which car would you rather have and why? [patriot]

[ 2016-08-30, 04:54 PM: Message edited by: SydeWaySix ]

--------------------
2013 Boss 302 #356. Performance White. Stock.
1965 Fastback GT Restored to stock spec.

PonyBoy415
¯
Member # 13662

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for PonyBoy415  Ford pictures for PonyBoy415    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I would go with the 16/17 because the new generation coyote platform is so much better then the first. It also responds so much better to boost due to redesigned heads and bigger valves. Forged connecting rods and crankshaft and of course IRS...
Posts: 356 | From: San Francisco | Registered: Jul 2014  |  :
93PONY
Mr. Valve Events
Member # 60

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 93PONY  Ford pictures for 93PONY        Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by PonyBoy415:
I would go with the 16/17 because the new generation coyote platform is so much better then the first. It also responds so much better to boost due to redesigned heads and bigger valves. Forged connecting rods and crankshaft and of course IRS...

The 15+ coyote engine is based on the Boss, so basically the same performance.

IMO it comes down to if you want to modify the car heavily or not. If you do, get the GT, if you want to keep it as original as possible get the Boss.

--------------------
www.advancedenginedevelopment.com
SCT dealer
Dynotuning

(916)715-7569

Posts: 4265 | From: Fair Oaks, CA | Registered: Nov 2000  |  :
1996 GT
I'm Joe Yates
Member # 4992

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 1996 GT  Ford pictures for 1996 GT    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
12/13 is the more financially responsible, but nothing beats a new car until the new car comes out then you'll be stuck with the old one...

--------------------
http://i.magaimg.net/img/257w.png

CoyoteMike
¯
Member # 13748

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for CoyoteMike  Ford pictures for CoyoteMike  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
12/13 Boss. Looks way better, same motor stoutness, more unique.

--------------------
Racist, bigot Michael Ford / Mike Ford aka FiveOhMike of 2039 XXXXXXXy XXX Livermore, CA 94551, DOB Nov 3X, 1980 925-XXX-6667 and Director at Midokura Corp has been banned for continual threats of violence against other members, half a dozen fake accounts, lying to police to implicate CAFords and other shameful acts of revealing character. He is reported to be well armed and regularly spotted at the Dublin/Pleasanton BART station.

--------
2013 GT 5.0 Coupe
2014 Focus ST
2015 Buick LaCrosse Premium

Posts: 580 | From: Livermore, CA | Registered: Sep 2014  |  :
phildog
¯
Member # 1214

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for phildog  Ford pictures for phildog    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Boss. Not only is it a lot of fun now, but it will hold its value much better than the GT.
SydeWaySix
CAFords OG
Member # 3596

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for SydeWaySix  Ford pictures for SydeWaySix    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I really like the creature comforts of the new S550 cars, plus they're sexy as hell, but I have always appreciated the "exclusive" mustang models (ie: Saleen, Cobra, Boss, etc). I'd LOVE a GT350, but its just wouldn't be smart to do right now (kids' tuition, mortgage, etc.)

This purchase would definitely be a long-term car that won't be flipped (I know many people are doubting me already [Razz] ), but my wife wont let it happen - she is actually the one who talked me into buying a new/new-ish car that I can enjoy off the bat because she's tired of me messing around trying to get my cars to the level I want/need them at.

That being said, I want/need something I don't need to mod much, if at all. If I were to get the BOSS, I would leave it bone stock, assuming I can find one with the Torsen rearend, Recaros, and other Ford track goods. If I were to get the Performance Pkg 16/17 GT w/ Recaros, I would consider exhaust and maybe better springs, but that would be it.

Please keep the opinions coming... [patriot]

--------------------

SIC9250
¯
Member # 8216

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for SIC9250  Ford pictures for SIC9250    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Boss,easy choice..

--------------------
Coyote_Mach1

Posts: 6959 | From: in the drivers seat. | Registered: Feb 2008  |  :
SWITCH 625.0
¯
Member # 9322

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for SWITCH 625.0  Ford pictures for SWITCH 625.0  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I have been watching Boss's and their resale value is staying relatively high. Currently, they look to be about the same price as a lower optioned New GT. The Boss has the low production numbers in its favor and I like the fact that the engine features CNC heads, oversized valves, improved rods,pistons,intake, etc. That's real hot rod stuff and it tacks another 500rpm to the red line. The Boss is unique and features a large list of specialty parts. It's the best handling SRA Mustang ever. The new Mustang's are absolutely Awesome but, the Boss is already off to a good start of holding it's resale value. A good deal on a Boss would be hard to pass up.

--------------------
04 TR Cobra
07 Shelby GT/SC 552 HP
89 Gt 331,AFR's,Paxton,TKO,3:73
68 Nova 396, 4 speed, 12 Bolt
65 SPF 427 Cobra Replica

Posts: 165 | From: Yuba City,Ca | Registered: Jul 2009  |  :
SydeWaySix
CAFords OG
Member # 3596

quote:
Originally posted by SWITCH 625.0:
I have been watching Boss's and their resale value is staying relatively high. Currently, they look to be about the same price as a lower optioned New GT. The Boss has the low production numbers in its favor and I like the fact that the engine features CNC heads, oversized valves, improved rods,pistons,intake, etc. That's real hot rod stuff and it tacks another 500rpm to the red line. The Boss is unique and features a large list of specialty parts. It's the best handling SRA Mustang ever. The new Mustang's are absolutely Awesome but, the Boss is already off to a good start of holding it's resale value. A good deal on a Boss would be hard to pass up.

Agreed. I, too have been window shopping for Boss 302s lately and haven't seen any under ~$35k with ~20k miles or less. There are even some with 40-50k miles for that price! Not sure what dealers were selling these for when new, but MSRP was ~$45k if I recall correctly, so depreciation is definitely not as drastic as other typical mustangs (which is a huge plus in my book). I just can't get over the improvements of the S197 though [Embarrassed]

The battle for me would be finding the right color should I decide on a BOSS. White is always my go to, but I feel that the BOSS deserves a "loud" color [Big Grin]

On the other hand, if I end up getting a S197, the color choices are merely endless...

--------------------

iceman302
¯
Member # 7180

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for iceman302  Ford pictures for iceman302    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Ian, you know where my vote falls.

While the new generation Coyote engine benefited from the Boss 302, to my knowledge, it doesn't have the forged Pistons that the Roadrunner engine has in the bores. Additionally, there's a lot more to the Roadrunner that makes it unique... different heads, different camshafts, unique intake, etc. I've always contended that the Boss was significantly underrated from the factory to keep horsepower numbers comfortably below the '12 Shelby GT500.

Obviously, low production numbers will keep the Boss collectible for a long time. It's a fantastic car. Even 4 years later, I'd be willing to give up the creature comforts of the new car for the Boss 302.

[ 2016-07-20, 08:02 AM: Message edited by: iceman302 ]

--------------------
'65 Mustang Fastback

Posts: 4171 | From: Rancho Murieta | Registered: Oct 2006  |  :
97cobra209
¯
Member # 11376

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 97cobra209  Ford pictures for 97cobra209    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I would go with a boss at the end of the day a gt is just that no matter how much you dump into it plus you could say a boss is track ready off the showroom floor!!

--------------------
2011 GT/CS 5.0

Not_so_Stealth
¯
Member # 7849

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Not_so_Stealth  Ford pictures for Not_so_Stealth    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Speaking as the owner of a 2012 Boss 302. I really love the car and don't plan on ever selling it. Straight from the factory it handled better than any of my previous modded mustangs. I agree with the underrated hp statement as well. I had the opportunity to drive a 2016 GT350 track pack at Laguna Seca and was quite impressed with the new chassis and magnaride suspension. Oh yeah and the brakes, Wow! The interior layout is also much improved over the S197 cars. I still wouldn't sell my Boss to get a GT350 let alone GT but I may have to for the GT350R.

--------------------
Performance White 2012 Boss 302
1994 Lightning #652
1989 5.0 LX hatch
2011 Coyote 5.0 - Sold
2003 Mach1 - Sold

SydeWaySix
CAFords OG
Member # 3596

quote:
Originally posted by Not_so_Stealth:
Speaking as the owner of a 2012 Boss 302. I really love the car and don't plan on ever selling it. Straight from the factory it handled better than any of my previous modded mustangs. I agree with the underrated hp statement as well. I had the opportunity to drive a 2016 GT350 track pack at Laguna Seca and was quite impressed with the new chassis and magnaride suspension. Oh yeah and the brakes, Wow! The interior layout is also much improved over the S197 cars. I still wouldn't sell my Boss to get a GT350 let alone GT but I may have to for the GT350R.

Let me know if you are ready to sell your '12 Boss to get that 350R [Wink]

--------------------

90GT510
¯
Member # 9199

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 90GT510  Ford pictures for 90GT510    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by 135.0:
12/13 is the more financially responsible, but nothing beats a new car until the new car comes out then you'll be stuck with the old one...

I think they about the same for a new gt vs used boss

--------------------
Stay Sydewayz

Posts: 1725 | From: East Bay/Dallas, TX | Registered: May 2009  |  :
90GT510
¯
Member # 9199

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 90GT510  Ford pictures for 90GT510    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:

Does anyone know if on the s550, they finally fixed the lash adjuster/lifter issues that the s197s had?

--------------------
Stay Sydewayz

Posts: 1725 | From: East Bay/Dallas, TX | Registered: May 2009  |  :
1996 GT
I'm Joe Yates
Member # 4992

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 1996 GT  Ford pictures for 1996 GT    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by 90GT510:
quote:

Right, I agree with both being the same price. How bout a 17 Saleen, treat yourself.

But if you get either or you can't really go wrong.

--------------------
http://i.magaimg.net/img/257w.png

PonyBoy415
¯
Member # 13662

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for PonyBoy415  Ford pictures for PonyBoy415    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
quote:
quote:

Right, I agree with both being the same price. How bout a 17 Saleen, treat yourself.

Saleen hasn't been delivering he's being sued by several Ford Dealerships, good luck with that one

--------------------
2013 GT500 Deep Impact Blue # 2878
2013 5.0 with TrackPack - Sold
2001 GT Convertible
2012 Focus SE MK3
1989 5.0 LX Convertible - Sold

Posts: 356 | From: San Francisco | Registered: Jul 2014  |  :
SydeWaySix
CAFords OG
Member # 3596

quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:

Saleen hasn't been delivering he's being sued by several Ford Dealerships, good luck with that one
What's the going price for the 17 Saleen?

--------------------

Rigo5.0
¯
Member # 5247

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rigo5.0  Ford pictures for Rigo5.0    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Boss...

- Exclusivity
- Performance
- Long-term value (resale)

I would LOVE to get my hands on the Laguna Seca edition down the road.

--------------------
91 5.0 [331|T56]
87 Grand National
02 Z06
08 Challenger SRT8
13 Shelby GT500
00 Lightning
14 Camaro SS

Posts: 1454 | From: Kansas City | Registered: Jan 2005  |  :
SydeWaySix
CAFords OG
Member # 3596

I'd love a Laguna Seca as well, but I need the back seats so my kids enjoy the ride as well [burnout]

--------------------

Robb
¯
Member # 9444

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Robb  Ford pictures for Robb    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Between the 2, I'd go Boss. I'm a sucker for specialty Mustangs.
Posts: 2467 | From: Sacramento,CA | Registered: Sep 2009  |  :
SydeWaySix
CAFords OG
Member # 3596

The exclusivity and long-term value of the BOSS 302 are what's keeping them on my radar. I know they're bad ass cars off the lot, but I LOVE the body lines of the s550. Such a hard decision - I wish the price points weren't so close so I could be "realistic" and just get the cheaper one.

Posting these pictures for comparison. My wife likes GHIG and Race Red (I personally like all colors lol!) She won't be driving it at all, but I definitely want/need to at least get a color she's happy with [Big Grin]

Side by side comparison (yellow s550 is not an option though!):

-

2012 Boss 302 - Red:

-

2013 Boss 302 - GHIG:

-

2016 Mustang GT Performance Package - Race Red:

-

With the Black Accent and Black Roof options (HOT!):

-

Standard Performance Package w/ aftermarket stripe kit (usually not a fan of stripes but they make S550s look that much more aggressive):

-

[ 2016-07-22, 10:18 AM: Message edited by: SydeWaySix ]

--------------------

adower
¯
Member # 5955

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for adower  Ford pictures for adower    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
If you're In that price range I hate to say it but why not get a c6 z06!

--------------------
98 Cobra
Griggs
S Trim
HRE

SydeWaySix
CAFords OG
Member # 3596

quote:
Originally posted by adower:
If you're In that price range I hate to say it but why not get a c6 z06!

Not really a corvette fan and it doesn't have back seats. It's probably a better performing car, but vettes really don't do anything for me. My uncle just picked up a brand new red Z06 and it doesn't excite me nearly as much as a GT350 does [Confused]

--------------------

Page: 1  2  3  4  5   
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com