Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » General Talk   » Ecoboost Mustang opinions

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: Ecoboost Mustang opinions
SydeWaySix
CAFords OG
Member # 3596

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for SydeWaySix  Ford pictures for SydeWaySix    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Anyone own or driven the new Ecoboost mustang? Are they any fun or just slow and heavy pigs? Obviously they aren't going to be as fast as a coyote motor, but are they quick enough for daily driving and possibly occasional trackday fun? Not really in the market for one, but the thought crossed my mind when I thought about "fun" daily drivers.

--------------------
2013 Boss 302 #356. Performance White. Stock.
1965 Fastback GT Restored to stock spec.

SLOWSN95
¯
Member # 8269

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for SLOWSN95  Ford pictures for SLOWSN95    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Ian, actually... they are just as fast as a coyote.. when properly tuned. My good buddy is tuning some of the country's fastest ecoboosts at the moment, and has tuned thousands of them stock as well as modified. Stock 4 cyl eco has already gone high 11s with an air filter, and 3.5L Crew Cab 4x4 F150 has gone 12.2 @ 108. So far, he holds the records for fastest bone stock F150, SHO, Explorer Sport, and I believe one other car. These Ecoboosts are REALLY impressing me.

Southernspeedinc.com

--------------------
94' GT
347 Stroker
MM Suspended

2003 SB SVT Lightning
Pullied and Lowered

89'Hatch-SOLD

Posts: 2214 | From: 510/east bay | Registered: Mar 2008  |  :
SydeWaySix
CAFords OG
Member # 3596

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for SydeWaySix  Ford pictures for SydeWaySix    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Hey Nick, that's actually pretty cool to hear. I read a few articles about them when they first came out but never really looked into them any further. How streetable are his tunes? As you know, I'm not much of a straight line guy so IF I were to get one (which I don't think would be anytime soon), I would love to have that increased power but tuned for "safe" track abuse [Big Grin]

--------------------

SLOWSN95
¯
Member # 8269

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for SLOWSN95  Ford pictures for SLOWSN95    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Very street able from what I have heard. Extremely good throttle response, better than stock mpg, best drivability from what everyone is saying. And he can tune it for open track if that's what you're looking for.

--------------------
94' GT
347 Stroker
MM Suspended

2003 SB SVT Lightning
Pullied and Lowered

89'Hatch-SOLD

SydeWaySix
CAFords OG
Member # 3596

Anyone else? How is the suspension on these new S550s compared to the previous s197 platform? Is handling night and day?

--------------------

swedensky
¯
Member # 12185

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for swedensky  Ford pictures for swedensky    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
The entire car is night and day. Suspension and ride quality, interior, build quality, all better on the S550. I still prefer the looks of a 14 GT to 15 GT though.

--------------------
I work at Ford!! > Best deals on ALL cars!
click here

SydeWaySix
CAFords OG
Member # 3596

Swdensky, what's the going rate for an Ecoboost with performance pkg (I think that's the pkg with Recaros and bigger brakes, right?)?

Also, how durable are the automatic transmissions on these cars? Would they survive the abuse of constant shifting during open track events? I'd imagine that being able to shift on the steering wheel would make for a very fun experience [Big Grin]

--------------------

JZTRK
¯
Member # 7641

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for JZTRK  Ford pictures for JZTRK    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
wheel hop is a nightmare and takes $$$ to fix also i have driven a 15 and a 16 and both had the hoods vibrate near the wind shield at 75mph+ it drove me nuts very distracting

--------------------
ANY THING PAST FIRST AND IM BREAKING THE LAW !!!

1990 lx Hatch (sold) 2014 GT Track Pack (sold) 2016 GT350 (sold)
1 of 16 2019 kona blue GT350R

Posts: 771 | From: My 44 Magnum says HI | Registered: May 2007  |  :
swedensky
¯
Member # 12185

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for swedensky  Ford pictures for swedensky    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by SydeWaySix:
Swdensky, what's the going rate for an Ecoboost with performance pkg (I think that's the pkg with Recaros and bigger brakes, right?)?

Also, how durable are the automatic transmissions on these cars? Would they survive the abuse of constant shifting during open track events? I'd imagine that being able to shift on the steering wheel would make for a very fun experience [Big Grin]

Performance Package on Ecoboost only gets you heavy duty front springs, bigger ROTORS, bigger radiator, different chassis tuning, and bigger rear sway bar. IMO not worth it unless you like the wheels (best option they have on Eco).

Recaros are another $1600.

You can get them under $30k msrp with those two things on a base, and about $34k msrp for a premium (leather and goodies).
Depending on the car you have about 2-3k room in price and another 750 on standard rebate.

The autos are super strong, but your issue with tracking is the paddle shifters have a slower response IMO than you'll want on the track.

Re: above post:

I've never seen a hood shake, on mine at 100+, my roommates TT 5.0 at 100+ or any of the cars on the lot. Never heard it from anyone either personally.

Wheel hop is real but it's 30k car there's always improvements to be made.

--------------------
I work at Ford!! > Best deals on ALL cars!
click here

Stang66
¯
Member # 10504

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Stang66  Ford pictures for Stang66    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
At "faster than normal" speeds my hood does shake a little bit. As long as it doesn't fly open its all good:)

[ 2016-07-09, 07:29 AM: Message edited by: Stang66 ]

--------------------
1966 Ford Mustang
1990 Notchback
1975 Pontiac Trans Am 400ci

SydeWaySix
CAFords OG
Member # 3596

When you guys say the hood shakes at highway speeds does it look like it's going to fly up? Don't some of the hoods have the extraction vents on each side? I would assume those should allow the air pressure underneath the hood to escape at speed, right?

--------------------

SLOWSN95
¯
Member # 8269

quote:
Originally posted by JZTRK:
wheel hop is a nightmare and takes $$$ to fix also i have driven a 15 and a 16 and both had the hoods vibrate near the wind shield at 75mph+ it drove me nuts very distracting

Actually, wheel hop has been completely eliminated by getting good shocks. Buddy of mine got a set of Konis and was 100% eliminated entirely.

--------------------
94' GT
347 Stroker
MM Suspended

2003 SB SVT Lightning
Pullied and Lowered

89'Hatch-SOLD

Stang66
¯
Member # 10504

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Stang66  Ford pictures for Stang66    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by SydeWaySix:
When you guys say the hood shakes at highway speeds does it look like it's going to fly up? Don't some of the hoods have the extraction vents on each side? I would assume those should allow the air pressure underneath the hood to escape at speed, right?

I usually see mine shake a bit going 90+
I probably just need to adjust my hood stoppers

--------------------
1966 Ford Mustang
1990 Notchback
1975 Pontiac Trans Am 400ci

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com