Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » General Talk   » College for my kid: yes or no (Page 1)

- Email this post to someone!   Page: 1  2   
Author Topic: College for my kid: yes or no
twisted54
¯
Member # 1981

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for twisted54  Ford pictures for twisted54  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
My daughter just graduated high school and has been accepted to UCSB where she's all set to go in the Fall. Now she's decided that she wants to follow her dreams and move to LA and teach and travel the world. She has roughly 10k in her savings and can survive for a while on that and the money she gets for teaching (roughly 500 for a 90 minute class). She says she'll go back to school if it doesn't work out. My wife is totally against it and wants her to go to school now. I'm in the fence... UCSB will not allow her to take a gap year and attend in 2017. What should we do???

[ 2017-06-06, 05:56 AM: Message edited by: twisted54 ]

--------------------
2013 Black on Black 5.0 with Boost N Things - CORN FED 🌽

Outlaw_Stangz
¯
Member # 3926

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Outlaw_Stangz  Ford pictures for Outlaw_Stangz    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I would highly encourage her to go now. The more she waits the harder it is to go back. Monitor her grades and help her choose a degree that will result in a job once she graduates.
1996 GT
I'm Joe Yates
Member # 4992

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 1996 GT  Ford pictures for 1996 GT    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
https://youtu.be/CVEuPmVAb8o

She should go to school unless she has an unbelievable opportunity.

[ 2016-06-09, 04:45 PM: Message edited by: 135.0 ]

--------------------
http://i.magaimg.net/img/257w.png

SydeWaySix
CAFords OG
Member # 3596

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for SydeWaySix  Ford pictures for SydeWaySix    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
School. It seems that she does very well with dance, so I'm sure she can find a part-time gig around UCSB where she can make some spare cash and still enjoy what she does while attending college.

Some people say a diploma is just a piece of paper...not true in this competitive world! You need it (and some!) to land a good paying job.

--------------------
2013 Boss 302 #356. Performance White. Stock.
1965 Fastback GT Restored to stock spec.

JohnCM
CAFords OG
Member # 1076

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for JohnCM  Ford pictures for JohnCM    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Have her join the Air Force, let Uncle Sam pay for school [patriot]
Posts: 3545 | From: Roseville | Registered: Mar 2002  |  :
wilit
Mustang Messiah
Member # 3367

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for wilit  Ford pictures for wilit  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Go to school. My wife's friend is a "free spirit" and teaches English in Tibet. A job she needed a degree for. Now she travels all over between sessions and loves her job.

--------------------
"If a man hasn't found something worth dying for, he isn't fit to live." - Martin Luther King Jr.

Posts: 4793 | From: 37.78514° North 122.40100° West | Registered: Oct 2003  |  :
i
¯
Member # 12534

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for i  Ford pictures for i    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Tell you daughter to invest in her education and receive a paper with a big UC name which she can work anywhere!

--------------------
86 Caged Coupe 5.0
91 Salvaged Coupe

Posts: 1901 | From: Sacramento | Registered: Nov 2012  |  :
adower
¯
Member # 5955

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for adower  Ford pictures for adower    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Encourage a different major. Sounds like she would probably do teaching? She will have debt and a low paying job upon graduation.

[ 2016-06-09, 07:48 PM: Message edited by: adower ]

--------------------
98 Cobra
Griggs
S Trim
HRE

CoyoteMike
¯
Member # 13748

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for CoyoteMike  Ford pictures for CoyoteMike  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Depends on the major, also 10k is not enough to "see the world"

--------------------
Racist, bigot Michael Ford / Mike Ford aka FiveOhMike of 2039 XXXXXXXy XXX Livermore, CA 94551, DOB Nov 3X, 1980 925-XXX-6667 and Director at Midokura Corp has been banned for continual threats of violence against other members, half a dozen fake accounts, lying to police to implicate CAFords and other shameful acts of revealing character. He is reported to be well armed and regularly spotted at the Dublin/Pleasanton BART station.

--------
2013 GT 5.0 Coupe
2014 Focus ST
2015 Buick LaCrosse Premium

Posts: 580 | From: Livermore, CA | Registered: Sep 2014  |  :
exchp6400
¯
Member # 4803

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for exchp6400  Ford pictures for exchp6400    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Why not do it all?

Go to school, teach and have her study abroad through the university. She will travel while earning school credit. [patriot]

twisted54
¯
Member # 1981

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for twisted54  Ford pictures for twisted54  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by CoyoteMike:
Depends on the major, also 10k is not enough to "see the world"

10k is for bills like utilities, etc while living in LA... She
Would get paid to travel... When she teaches abroad, the people bringing her out pay for flights and accommodations and then pay her her Teaching fee (roughly 500 for 1 90 class) The money she earns helps her pay bills. She's going to Barcelona in 2 weeks and then Winnipeg im July . She's already been to Russia, Ukraine, Switzerland, China and Australia within the last few years.

We want her to stick with school, train in LA on the weekends and travel in the Summer...

[ 2016-06-10, 11:05 AM: Message edited by: twisted54 ]

--------------------

Mr.10psi
¯
Member # 11062

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mr.10psi  Ford pictures for Mr.10psi  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
DO WHAT YOU LOVE AND ANYTHING NEEDED TO GET THERE.Education does help a lot but isnt always a necessity. Lots of successful entrepreneurs out there without a day in school.

--------------------
02 white saleen(sold) 347 stroker in the works

CobramanPhil
¯
Member # 2170

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for CobramanPhil  Ford pictures for CobramanPhil    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
There is plenty of time to travel the world after getting a degree...
Posts: 1016 | From: California, Bay Area | Registered: Dec 2002  |  :
90GT510
¯
Member # 9199

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 90GT510  Ford pictures for 90GT510    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
school but would u expect her to focus on it if she's not ready for it rn.
Posts: 1725 | From: East Bay/Dallas, TX | Registered: May 2009  |  :
89point.
¯
Member # 6078

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 89point.  Ford pictures for 89point.    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Are u paying for or helping with the cost of living? Basically are u gonna pay her rent too cause the 10k will be gone in 5 months or less down south. I feel like she should at least attempt to do schooling, I wish I did.
twisted54
¯
Member # 1981

Maybe I'm not explaining it right... She wouldn't live alone... She would have roommates so I'm thinking her part of the rent would be 700-800 a month in the Burbank area. In the last 2 months, she's made about $3000 teaching classes, etc. And being in LA, she'll be teaching a lot more and getting more opportunities to travel, etc. so she's not living purely off the 10k.

She will most likely do college and teach, etc in the summer and when she has time.

--------------------

stangin'
¯
Member # 514

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for stangin'  Ford pictures for stangin'    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
In my opinion, if you think you raised her right and feels like she's wise enough to make her own decision then let her choose her path.

I'm the type of person who never wants to regret not doing something when an opportunity presents itself. She's still young so this is her chance to take advantage of these opportunities with her dance career. If she waits another 4-5yrs, these doors might not open again. She can always go back to school. You'll never know what her full potentials are unless she strives for it.

The fall back plan is school. There's nothing worst then graduating from college and landing a job that you have very little desire doing. Making a decent salary is nice, but there's more to that in living a great life.

If she has a dream, allow her the opportunity to make it into a reality.

Built4Speed
¯
Member # 13873

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Built4Speed  Ford pictures for Built4Speed    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9rfwuoW4Zb4

watch at 0:25 second mark.

--------------------
Built 4 Speed...Built 4 Cheap

Posts: 230 | From: Sacramento | Registered: Dec 2014  |  :
i
¯
Member # 12534

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for i  Ford pictures for i    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by Built4Speed:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9rfwuoW4Zb4

watch at 0:25 second mark.

Those last seconds tho!

--------------------
86 Caged Coupe 5.0
91 Salvaged Coupe

Posts: 1901 | From: Sacramento | Registered: Nov 2012  |  :
Fostang
¯
Member # 3752

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Fostang  Ford pictures for Fostang    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Well tony kids will do as they will.

I'd recommend her going to school then doing as she pleases.

However simply based on the fact that right now is not the time for Americans to travel to various locations. If she does have dreams to travel I'd suggest she obtain a dual citizenship with say Mexico and travel under that passport. Just to keep her safe.

--------------------
67' Fastback TT 408
67' Camaro Lsx
64' Corvette Fuelie
57' Chevy Bel Air Lsx
68’ Pony Convertible
66’ Pony Coupe

Posts: 3011 | From: Stockton/Danville | Registered: Nov 2003  |  :
phildog
¯
Member # 1214

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for phildog  Ford pictures for phildog    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Absolutely college first. Get that knocked out as fast as possible, taking advantage of internship opportunities over the summer breaks. Then she has the rest of her life to go chase whatever dream she may have. It will always be easier to get a job with a bachelor's degree than without .

It is hard to go back to school after enjoying the freedom of being out and just working; unencumbered by homework and school projects.

Been there, done the college thing. Like many, I do not use my education on the job. But having a college degree has always made finding a good job a lot easier.

v-town coupe
fordologist
Member # 2771

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for v-town coupe  Ford pictures for v-town coupe    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
This is coming from someone who started college in about 2001 and 2002 and just recently went back in 2009/10, is almost in their mid 30's and is currently juggling work, school, kid.

Go to college now and knock it out. Life can go by quick and next thing you know, there are hang ups that can prevent progress.

When you really think about it, at the ripe age of 22 she will have a degree and can travel or do whatever she wants without having to even think about going back to school. not to mention college is a hell of a lot easier when you have all that education still fresh in your head from H.S.

She has been accepted into a great school, mine as well get it while the get'n is good. Ive seen way too many people who have been awarded that type of opportunity pass it up, to never be given it again.

Just my .02

Posts: 4597 | From: the V-town | Registered: May 2003  |  :
9cobra7
¯
Member # 2812

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 9cobra7  Ford pictures for 9cobra7    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
There are too many variables in this question to answer correctly. I didn't know anything when I left high school to go directly to college, and glad I didn't go myself. Well actually I went to a JC for a year ind figured this is not for me. I followed my interests and one thing led to the next and made my own future that I created just using common sense, simple math, and of course good grammar while being respectful...etc.

If she is a person that thinks outside the box and pushes the boundaries, I don't think college is the place for her. College is a place for the masses to program you a certain way. Its fine for many people, just wasn't for me.

Its a massive debt to get into when you can expect at least 7 different professions in her lifetime. So odds are, whatever she studies will be wasted because that profession doesn't pay enough, are outsourced, doesn't like it, robots took over or any number of things. Its a HUGE question what she REALLY WANTS to do.

Also, people change drastically every 7 years and hate what they do because they changed. Now there in debt for 50k or more with interest accruing. This is a BIG decision over say....community college, which would be less debt but not as good on a resume.

--------------------
If you can't walk and chew gum at the same time, don't walk.

Mr.10psi
¯
Member # 11062

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mr.10psi  Ford pictures for Mr.10psi  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by 9cobra7:
There are too many variables in this question to answer correctly. I didn't know anything when I left high school to go directly to college, and glad I didn't go myself. Well actually I went to a JC for a year ind figured this is not for me. I followed my interests and one thing led to the next and made my own future that I created just using common sense, simple math, and of course good grammar while being respectful...etc.

If she is a person that thinks outside the box and pushes the boundaries, I don't think college is the place for her. College is a place for the masses to program you a certain way. Its fine for many people, just wasn't for me.

Its a massive debt to get into when you can expect at least 7 different professions in her lifetime. So odds are, whatever she studies will be wasted because that profession doesn't pay enough, are outsourced, doesn't like it, robots took over or any number of things. Its a HUGE question what she REALLY WANTS to do.

Also, people change drastically every 7 years and hate what they do because they changed. Now there in debt for 50k or more with interest accruing. This is a BIG decision over say....community college, which would be less debt but not as good on a resume.

Well said.

--------------------
02 white saleen(sold) 347 stroker in the works

twisted54
¯
Member # 1981

Thanks for the input everyone...it's much appreciated. Well she has some time figure everything out.

I know she just talked to someone that is very inspiring to her and will be there with her in Barcelona in a couple weeks. He did exactly what we want her to do (college, teach/travel when able on the weekends and graduated in 4 years). He has a BA in business. He was telling her about all the older teachers/choreographers that aren't relevant anymore and now are worried about their futures. I think it sunk in more coming from him vs. from us.

--------------------

Page: 1  2   
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com