Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » General Talk   » Anyone tracking their Stangs lately?

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: Anyone tracking their Stangs lately?
NonOpSlow2V
¯
Member # 6111

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for NonOpSlow2V  Ford pictures for NonOpSlow2V    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Looking to get into tracking a Mustang soon. I have not done one in a Mustang/car before, so I'm looking for where to start.

I've done my fair share of MC track days with my R1/CBR1000/1199S and a VFR750. Now looking to do the Stangs

--------------------
1997 Autumn Orange GT vert
1996 Mystic Cobra
2005 95ci Harley Road King
2011 F150 Raptor

Posts: 2139 | From: San Francisco | Registered: Oct 2005  |  :
NonOpSlow2V
¯
Member # 6111

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for NonOpSlow2V  Ford pictures for NonOpSlow2V    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I'm looking at Laguna Seca and Willow Springs. The car is a 99 Cobra with only 4:10s, Eibach Pro-Kit, Bilstein shocks/struts, cat back exhaust.

--------------------
1996 Mystic Cobra
2011 F150 Raptor

Black 02 SS
¯
Member # 5939

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Black 02 SS  Ford pictures for Black 02 SS    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I haven't tracked a Mustang, but I do have at least a dozen track days under the belt thus far. I'd say brakes, tires, and cooling are your best starting points. Make sure you get a solid track friendly pad, or swap to a race pad for the track day. Keep an eye on your engine oil temps, as I saw mine creep to 290+ before ending a 20 minute session. An external oil cooler would be ideal. Get a sticky set of street/track tires like R888 or RA1's and a track oriented alignment. Better yet, go have a blast! Laguna Seca is my favorite track of all time, although I've only ha a chance to drive it for two HPDE days. Most of my track time has been at Thunderhill, which I feel is a bit friendlier if you're just starting off. LS is heavy on the brakes, so prep them well!
NonOpSlow2V
¯
Member # 6111

Cool thanks for pointing those out. I'll consider upgrading those you mentioned before taking her out. I do plan on making the 99 snake a dedicated track car. It's already been gutted like the AC, stereos and speakers/amps, rear seat.

--------------------
1996 Mystic Cobra
2011 F150 Raptor

CoyoteMike
¯
Member # 13748

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for CoyoteMike  Ford pictures for CoyoteMike  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I track my `13 and my SVO is a dedicated track car.

I would say at the BARE minimum, change to Dot4 break fluid and a track oriented brake pad. I personally swap my brake pads from track to street since I do not like the dust/noise of a harsh track pad.

These two will prevent the worst part of tracking and thats brake fade +_you do not want to have your brake fluid boil (potential fire risk).

Next would be remote coolers for both the engine oil ( a thermostat controlled system if you are doing like a DD since a remote oil cooler has a hard time letting the temp get to normal operating temps on the street)... and a remote oil cooler for your manual transmission.

Then suspension/tires/weight reduction ect.

[ 2016-05-09, 11:28 AM: Message edited by: CoyoteMike ]

--------------------
Racist, bigot Michael Ford / Mike Ford aka FiveOhMike of 2039 XXXXXXXy XXX Livermore, CA 94551, DOB Nov 3X, 1980 925-XXX-6667 and Director at Midokura Corp has been banned for continual threats of violence against other members, half a dozen fake accounts, lying to police to implicate CAFords and other shameful acts of revealing character. He is reported to be well armed and regularly spotted at the Dublin/Pleasanton BART station.

--------
2013 GT 5.0 Coupe
2014 Focus ST
2015 Buick LaCrosse Premium

Posts: 580 | From: Livermore, CA | Registered: Sep 2014  |  :
phildog
¯
Member # 1214

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for phildog  Ford pictures for phildog    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Boiling the brake fluid and crashing into something due to hydraulic failure is far more likely than managing to get the brakes to catch on fire.

For street cars which are open tracked, temperature management is key. Twenty minute sessions will put all your systems to the test. Fresh, synthetic lubricants, and a fresh flush with a high quality brake fluid are essential.

Don't worry about sticky tires right away. Driving on your 200-300 TW tires will teach you beneficial lessons on car control at the limit.

Just my .02. There will of course be many keyboard crewcheifs, who never go to the track, who will be more than willing to pump out BS.

SydeWaySix
CAFords OG
Member # 3596

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for SydeWaySix  Ford pictures for SydeWaySix    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I agree with phildog - Don't worry about super sticky tires just yet. Street tires actually scream when they're at the limit and that is the feedback you want when first starting out. I used to run Bridgestone RE11 summer tires on the track and they provided plenty grip!

As mentioned, change all your fluids and use quality brake pads with front brake cooling ducts. Being that mustangs are so heavy, cooling ducts are very important to avoid overheating your brakes and getting brake fade. Other than that, get some good gloves, a helmet, and maybe some driving shoes and get out on the track! As many pros will tell you, seat time is more important than any mod you can do to the car.

Have fun and post pics. Hope to see some of you guys out there later this season [patriot]

--------------------
2013 Boss 302 #356. Performance White. Stock.
1965 Fastback GT Restored to stock spec.

NonOpSlow2V
¯
Member # 6111

Much appreciate the feed back, thank you!

--------------------
1996 Mystic Cobra
2011 F150 Raptor

v-town coupe
fordologist
Member # 2771

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for v-town coupe  Ford pictures for v-town coupe    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by CoyoteMike:
I track my `13 and my SVO is a dedicated track car.

I would say at the BARE minimum, change to Dot4 break fluid and a track oriented brake pad. I personally swap my brake pads from track to street since I do not like the dust/noise of a harsh track pad.

These two will prevent the worst part of tracking and thats brake fade +_you do not want to have your brake fluid boil (potential fire risk).

Next would be remote coolers for both the engine oil ( a thermostat controlled system if you are doing like a DD since a remote oil cooler has a hard time letting the temp get to normal operating temps on the street)... and a remote oil cooler for your manual transmission.

Then suspension/tires/weight reduction ect.

was that you in the SVO at the USCA race back in Feb at T-hill?
Posts: 4597 | From: the V-town | Registered: May 2003  |  :
BLK66FB
¯
Member # 8282

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for BLK66FB  Ford pictures for BLK66FB    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I just signed up for a two day race school at http://www.fordperformanceracingschool.com

It is in Utah. I plan on road tripping my 2016 gt out there in August and using their car for the track. They also have a Boss 302 upgrade as well as a GT350 [Smile]

--------------------
----------------------

1966 Mustang Fastback
2016 Mustang GT

NonOpSlow2V
¯
Member # 6111

Damn that is awesome! If we weren't trying to buy a house right now I would be signing up and joining you out there. I may keep an eye on some of the future dates and see If I can squeeze in one

--------------------
1996 Mystic Cobra
2011 F150 Raptor

SVTGhoust
¯
Member # 20

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for SVTGhoust  Ford pictures for SVTGhoust    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
The Shelby club has it's annual mini nationals happening at infineon early August. Good HPDE sessions with some cool Fords. I tracked my car last year. If i can get my parts ordered and installed by then, I will be doing it again this year.

--------------------
2013 Shelby GT500 / 2020 Shelby GT500

Posts: 962 | From: Brentwood, CA 94513 | Registered: Oct 2000  |  :
Blind
2.3L
CAFords OG
Member # 3052

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Blind  Ford pictures for Blind    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I try to go about once a month to an autox or hpde track day.

Regular brake fluid changes, and a dedicated set of pads for the track days is all I do. Never had any issues really. However, if your car has hidden issues they will pop up at a track day, especially cooling system, or brake system related. I see lots of cars blow up radiators/expansion tanks and have to get trailered home.

So I would say the most important thing to have, is AAA with a far enough towing distance to get you close to home [dance]

--------------------
89 LX Notchback ex 4cyl, 14psi
02 Harley F150, 15psi

Posts: 8521 | From: Fairfield | Registered: Jul 2003  |  :

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com