Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » General Talk   » How to get rid of annoying ads on websites (Page 1)

- Email this post to someone!   Page: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: How to get rid of annoying ads on websites
Martinna
¯
Member # 12493

Ford Icon 4 posted      Profile for Martinna  Ford pictures for Martinna        Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I thought I would share tricks on how to setup your web browser to stop showing ads. It is very easy to get annoying ads on websites and youtube to go away for good. Who doesn't want to be ad free and have faster loading sites?

It takes about 10 minutes to set it all up. About the same time it does takes to watch several annoying ads on youtube.

-0- Do not use Chrome or Safari. These browsers are spyware from Google and Apple to track and monitor your browsing to feed you ads. Some of my tips work for Chrome, but you still lose when dealing with Google. Facebook and Google make billions by tracking you digitally and selling personal information about you to their customers {{advertisers}}.

-0- Always download and use Firefox https://www.firefox.com

-0- You'll need to install some plugins to prevent tracking and block ads.

-0- Install Privacy Badger. It blocks many ads and trackers --- https://www.eff.org/privacybadger

-0- Install https everywhere. It makes sure you use the secure version of a website when available --- https://www.eff.org/HTTPS-everywhere

-0- Install UBlock Origin. This one is important. It blocks most of the ads and can block those annoying small facebook Like or google +1 buttons on most websites. Those little buttons track you when loaded, so google and facebook know which sites you've visited, even when you're not on facebook or google.com. This tracking information is used to show you ads.

Install Ublock Origin for firefox --- https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/ublock-origin/

The chrome version is also out --- https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/ublock-origin/cjpalhdlnbpafiamejdnhcphjbkeiagm?hl=en but you're on your own, Chrome is a lost cause. You'll always get tracked and see some ads with Chrome.

Once Ublock Origin is installed, click on the small shield icon that now shows on the right corner of your browser. This will bring up a window that looks like this ---- http://noticiasseguridad.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/04/ublock_.jpg

Click on the small gear logo in the grey section on the top left corner of this window.

Under the settings tab on the top of the new window shown, check all 3 boxes under Privacy.

Now click on the 3rd-party filters tab on the top of the window. Check every single box starting from the top and going through the Multipurpose section. You can check the boxes you need under the Regions,Languages section of you browse foreign websites.

Click the Update now button on the top left corner of the window.

That's it, you're done. No more ads when watching youtube videos or browsing the web.

Ask if you have questions. If there is interest, there are similar things you can do on iPhone and Android I can share.

[ 2016-03-25, 12:37 AM: Message edited by: Martinna ]

hurting your feelings
¯
Member # 13641

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for hurting your feelings  Ford pictures for hurting your feelings    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Fuck off
Posts: 1830 | From: In front of the bank with a 45 an a ski mask | Registered: Jun 2014  |  :
CoyoteMike
¯
Member # 13748

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for CoyoteMike  Ford pictures for CoyoteMike  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
WTB: A ban for this joker

--------------------
Racist, bigot Michael Ford / Mike Ford aka FiveOhMike of 2039 XXXXXXXy XXX Livermore, CA 94551, DOB Nov 3X, 1980 925-XXX-6667 and Director at Midokura Corp has been banned for continual threats of violence against other members, half a dozen fake accounts, lying to police to implicate CAFords and other shameful acts of revealing character. He is reported to be well armed and regularly spotted at the Dublin/Pleasanton BART station.

--------
2013 GT 5.0 Coupe
2014 Focus ST
2015 Buick LaCrosse Premium

Posts: 580 | From: Livermore, CA | Registered: Sep 2014  |  :
Fostang
¯
Member # 3752

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Fostang  Ford pictures for Fostang    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
You hella dumb [BS flag]

--------------------
67' Fastback TT 408
67' Camaro Lsx
64' Corvette Fuelie
57' Chevy Bel Air Lsx
68’ Pony Convertible
66’ Pony Coupe

Posts: 3011 | From: Stockton/Danville | Registered: Nov 2003  |  :
Blue92
¯
Member # 8789

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Blue92  Ford pictures for Blue92    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I almost feel like these are practice sales pitches. [Razz]
phildog
¯
Member # 1214

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for phildog  Ford pictures for phildog    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
The infomercial posts from the OP are getting old. I understand that this is general talk. But it seems like every post from this guy is apps, links, software advice, etc. There are forums for that stuff.
stanger00
¯
Member # 13818

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for stanger00  Ford pictures for stanger00    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Ban this fool...

--------------------
2000 Mustang GT Aluminator, TFS, Vortech, AED

Martinna
¯
Member # 12493

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Martinna  Ford pictures for Martinna        Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Blue92 ----- you and other people claim I'm selling something. What am I selling? Free software configurations?

Can someone here explain the hostility?

phildog ---- please look at my posting history to understand why what you and others have said are not true.

There are other ad blocking guides out there but they're not as good as mine. They recommend programs like ad block plus which don't block all the ads. The Ad block plus company takes money from google and amazon to unblock some of their ads.

phildog
¯
Member # 1214

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for phildog  Ford pictures for phildog    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
How about you stop spamming the forum with a bunch of garbage?

And no, I'm not going to spend the time to "research" your post history because I don't care to waste my time looking at BS infomercials written by you. If the folks on this board need infomercials, we will tune into daytime television.

Martinna
¯
Member # 12493

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Martinna  Ford pictures for Martinna        Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
The irony of the person sharing how to block ads for free is being accused of being an infomercial.

I politely pointed out your claims against me were not factual and looking at my posting history will provide evidence. You said you rather not look at the evidence and hold on to your beliefs. Think about this. Do you understand how your line of thinking negates the validity of your past and future remarks?

[ 2016-03-25, 01:32 PM: Message edited by: Martinna ]

CoyoteMike
¯
Member # 13748

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for CoyoteMike  Ford pictures for CoyoteMike  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by Martinna:
The irony of the person sharing how to block ads for free is being accused of being an infomercial.

I politely pointed out your claims against me were not factual and looking at my posting history will provide evidence. You said you rather not look at the evidence and hold on to your beliefs. Think about this. Do you understand how your line of thinking negates the validity of your past and future remarks?

Weird I thought this was a car site and not an information security site. If I wanted to know about that I would go to one of those sites. Way to be the internet white knight you beta cuck.

--------------------
Racist, bigot Michael Ford / Mike Ford aka FiveOhMike of 2039 XXXXXXXy XXX Livermore, CA 94551, DOB Nov 3X, 1980 925-XXX-6667 and Director at Midokura Corp has been banned for continual threats of violence against other members, half a dozen fake accounts, lying to police to implicate CAFords and other shameful acts of revealing character. He is reported to be well armed and regularly spotted at the Dublin/Pleasanton BART station.

--------
2013 GT 5.0 Coupe
2014 Focus ST

Martinna
¯
Member # 12493

Thanks for your input. I do not know the exact definition of information security. But it seems blocking youtube ads is not it. This is a car site. Look at my posting history. I have made more car related posts this month than anyone in this thread.

I do not understand the logic behind the hostility. Someone explain?

[ 2016-03-25, 01:40 PM: Message edited by: Martinna ]

CoyoteMike
¯
Member # 13748

quote:
Thanks for your input. I do not know the exact definition of information security. But it seems blocking youtube ads is not it. This is a car site. Look at my posting history. I have made more car related posts this month than anyone in this thread.

I do not understand the logic behind the hostility. Someone explain?

Because nobody wants your spam.

-

--------------------

--------
2013 GT 5.0 Coupe
2014 Focus ST

phildog
¯
Member # 1214

Mods, please move this to the Vendor section.

And Martina, please join Cobraracer46 on a bicycle ride around Woodside. I think you two would get along quite well.

Blue92
¯
Member # 8789

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Blue92  Ford pictures for Blue92    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Blue92 ----- you and other people claim I'm selling something. What am I selling? Free software configurations?

I said "practice". Once again though, you never answered my questions about your age. Are you the revamped CobraRacer trying a new angle?
Blue92
¯
Member # 8789

quote:
Originally posted by phildog:
Mods, please move this to the Vendor section.

And Martina, please join Cobraracer46 on a bicycle ride around Woodside. I think you two would get along quite well.

Well, I guess I'm not the only one thinking he relates.
Martinna
¯
Member # 12493

Ford Icon 6 posted      Profile for Martinna  Ford pictures for Martinna        Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Blue92 ---- Thank you for being level headed. I did reply to your question in the other thread.
Blue92
¯
Member # 8789

quote:
Blue92 ---- Thank you for being level headed. I did reply to your question in the other thread.

You answered my question with a question. [Roll Eyes]
89LXNotch
¯
Member # 4879

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 89LXNotch  Ford pictures for 89LXNotch    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Why so much hate? Homie trying to help out a little. I use AdBlock, it's free and gets rid of all the annoying ads on YouTube and pretty much any site you visit. I don't really like having to wait 5 to 30 seconds to see a video or see a bunch of ads on a site.

--------------------
87 GT Vert (First Car) Sold
89 LX Coupe(4 Banger - 5.0) Sold

Martinna
¯
Member # 12493

Blue92 ----- You represent yourself very mature compared to some of the earlier responders here. I will reply to you in the original thread.

89LXNotch ----- Thank you for understanding. Checkout Privacy Badger too if you're not already using it. I am confused why posting how to block youtube ads in a General Talk forum got me cursed out [Confused] Every day people post youtube links on here and I got sick of watching their ads. I figured out how to block them and decided to share what I learned.
I also tried adblock plus and it didn't work as good as uBlock Origin. UBlock Orgin blocks everything by default. Ad Block plus doesn't. It also did not feel right using ad block plus because they accept money from big companies to bypass their own product and show you ads. UBlock Origin is free and open source, given away by volunteers. Not a company like Ad Block Plus. Choose which ever one you want. Using any ad blocker is always better than using none! [patriot]

Blue92
¯
Member # 8789

quote:

Did you disable PM's?
Martinna
¯
Member # 12493

Yes, I did after finding out the government snoops and reads all USA web forum activity, including PMs. Getting lied to about so much makes me sick to my stomach, but lets not pollute an ad blocking thread talking about this topic.

[ 2016-03-25, 04:21 PM: Message edited by: Martinna ]

sic70stang
CAFords OG
Member # 4347

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for sic70stang  Ford pictures for sic70stang    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by CoyoteMike:
quote:

Weird I thought this was a car site and not an information security site. If I wanted to know about that I would go to one of those sites. Way to be the internet white knight you beta cuck.
just checked general talk and seen a bunch of non car related threads. relax a little you don't need to click every thread you see

--------------------
The anti-crew
1987 rolling safety violation.

Posts: 6940 | From: California | Registered: Jul 2005  |  :
theconductor
¯
Member # 13458

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for theconductor  Ford pictures for theconductor    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Yes, I did after finding out the government snoops and reads all USA web forum activity, including PMs. Getting lied to about so much makes me sick to my stomach, but lets not pollute an ad blocking thread talking about this topic.

What are you planning on saying in your PM's that the government would be using against you? Also, what makes you think that the government is going to sort through the PM's on CAFords?

--------------------
Woke Bruh

Posts: 349 | From: Roseville, CA | Registered: Feb 2014  |  :
9cobra7
¯
Member # 2812

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 9cobra7  Ford pictures for 9cobra7    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I personally hate all the stupid ads...it makes me want to stop looking at anything on news feeds, youtube etc.

I'm not an internet guru by any means and appreciate the advice on how to get rid of this crap from enjoying my computer. Not sure why you guys are so harsh, don't think he's selling us anything and he's clearly legible and articulate unlike half you dumb dumbs on here.

--------------------
If you can't walk and chew gum at the same time, don't walk.

Page: 1  2  3   
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com