Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » General Talk   » New hobbie..

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: New hobbie..
97cobra209
¯
Member # 11376

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 97cobra209  Ford pictures for 97cobra209    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
So I'd like to build my first AR-15 using a 80% lower and a rotary tool thing is they're so many company's I'd like to know what are brands some of you guys have used and would recommend all help and info would be appreciated thanks..

--------------------
2011 GT/CS 5.0

9cobra7
¯
Member # 2812

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 9cobra7  Ford pictures for 9cobra7    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by 97cobra209:
So I'd like to build my first AR-15 using a 80% lower and a rotary tool thing is they're so many company's I'd like to know what are brands some of you guys have used and would recommend all help and info would be appreciated thanks..

Pm cobraracer46....she'll be able to help you.

--------------------
If you can't walk and chew gum at the same time, don't walk.

sic70stang
CAFords OG
Member # 4347

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for sic70stang  Ford pictures for sic70stang    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I've been thinking about doing an 80% for some time now. once going keep us updated. checkout brokenarmory.com

--------------------
The anti-crew
1987 rolling safety violation.

Posts: 6940 | From: California | Registered: Jul 2005  |  :
97cobra209
¯
Member # 11376

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 97cobra209  Ford pictures for 97cobra209    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Yeah one of my co workers has done 2 his first was basic billet cost him $600 second was $900 using a poly lower..

--------------------
2011 GT/CS 5.0

warhorse58gt
¯
Member # 7702

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for warhorse58gt  Ford pictures for warhorse58gt  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I built my 1 80%er with a hand drill and a dremel, no jig. I have since built a few more. But now I got a nice jig. I built one for $450, but most run about $600..

[ 2016-02-12, 01:36 AM: Message edited by: warhorse58gt ]

--------------------
WOLFPACK RACING

With guns, we are 'citizens'. Without them, we are 'subjects'.

83gt 354ci sbf 9.40 @ 143
77 cobra 2 171ci 97hp of pure fury!

97cobra209
¯
Member # 11376

quote:
Originally posted by warhorse58gt:
I built my 1 80%er with a hand drill and a dremel, no jig. I have since built a few more. But now I got a nice jig. I built one for $450, but most run about $600..

What lowers are you using or have worked best for you?

--------------------
2011 GT/CS 5.0

[SHO]TIME
¯
Member # 8962

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for [SHO]TIME  Ford pictures for [SHO]TIME    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
in my experience all lowers are comparible some just have nicer finished edges, as for parts a goocd lower budget brand go dpms, keep in mind it is completely legal to build your own 80% but your stuck with it sitting at home for the end of days, if you take it out to a range to shoot and a ranger or leo wants to see it and notices a blank lower they will take it assuming its been altered and your not getting it back
SLOWBACK 67
¯
Member # 6348

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for SLOWBACK 67  Ford pictures for SLOWBACK 67    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:

600 for the whole rifle?

--------------------
Originally posted by turbo50:
I have no intenions of keeping anyones parts or taking anyones money.

Riggidy
¯
Member # 14194

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Riggidy  Ford pictures for Riggidy    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Tactical machining ..
http://www.tacticalmachining.com/80-products.html
Top notch 80 and well respected in the community

Jig
http://www.80percentarms.com/collections/lower-jigs/products/80-ar-15-easy-jig

SidewayzCobra
¯
Member # 14277

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for SidewayzCobra  Ford pictures for SidewayzCobra    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
http://www.polymer80.com/

comes with jig and milling bit just need a good milling vice and a drill press.
im still working on mine but my oil mad built his for around 750$ and works grteat

SidewayzCobra
¯
Member # 14277

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for SidewayzCobra  Ford pictures for SidewayzCobra    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
old man****not oil mad...ha
warhorse58gt
¯
Member # 7702

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for warhorse58gt  Ford pictures for warhorse58gt  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by [SHO]TIME:
in my experience all lowers are comparible some just have nicer finished edges, as for parts a goocd lower budget brand go dpms, keep in mind it is completely legal to build your own 80% but your stuck with it sitting at home for the end of days, if you take it out to a range to shoot and a ranger or leo wants to see it and notices a blank lower they will take it assuming its been altered and your not getting it back

lol.. Since when I have 5 built 80%ers, and I take all of them to the range. Never had a single issue with anyone. I have had leo's look at them, and never have they given me trouble. [patriot]

[ 2016-02-12, 04:10 PM: Message edited by: warhorse58gt ]

--------------------
WOLFPACK RACING

warhorse58gt
¯
Member # 7702

quote:
Originally posted by 97cobra209:
quote:

What lowers are you using or have worked best for you?
All mine have been from http://aresarmor.com/ I get most of the uppers from http://palmettostatearmory.com/ If you are trying to put together a cheap planker. Just keep your eyes open. They have deals all the time. I got a near complete ar kit for $399, not including the lower. At that time, the lower was 49.99 shipped.

[ 2016-02-13, 01:40 AM: Message edited by: warhorse58gt ]

--------------------
WOLFPACK RACING

CoyoteMike
¯
Member # 13748

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for CoyoteMike  Ford pictures for CoyoteMike  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by Riggidy:
Tactical machining ..

Jig

I have more then a few of these 80% ers completed with both of these items. Very easy to do.

Now I have moved on to building AK's from receiver flats.

--------------------
Racist, bigot Michael Ford / Mike Ford aka FiveOhMike of 2039 XXXXXXXy XXX Livermore, CA 94551, DOB Nov 3X, 1980 925-XXX-6667 and Director at Midokura Corp has been banned for continual threats of violence against other members, half a dozen fake accounts, lying to police to implicate CAFords and other shameful acts of revealing character. He is reported to be well armed and regularly spotted at the Dublin/Pleasanton BART station.

--------
2013 GT 5.0 Coupe
2014 Focus ST
2015 Buick LaCrosse Premium

Posts: 580 | From: Livermore, CA | Registered: Sep 2014  |  :
Riggidy
¯
Member # 14194

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Riggidy  Ford pictures for Riggidy    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by CoyoteMike:
quote:
Tactical machining ..

Jig

I have more then a few of these 80% ers completed with both of these items. Very easy to do.

Funny ... I did the same exact progression. If you need tooling give me a pm. I am downsizing and need to get rid of some stuff.
CoyoteMike
¯
Member # 13748

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for CoyoteMike  Ford pictures for CoyoteMike  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by CoyoteMike:
quote:
Tactical machining ..

Jig

Funny ... I did the same exact progression. If you need tooling give me a pm. I am downsizing and need to get rid of some stuff.
Heh I got everything I need now, thanks though. Just got a new 20ton press for the barrel pressing [Smile]

--------------------
Racist, bigot Michael Ford / Mike Ford aka FiveOhMike of 2039 XXXXXXXy XXX Livermore, CA 94551, DOB Nov 3X, 1980 925-XXX-6667 and Director at Midokura Corp has been banned for continual threats of violence against other members, half a dozen fake accounts, lying to police to implicate CAFords and other shameful acts of revealing character. He is reported to be well armed and regularly spotted at the Dublin/Pleasanton BART station.

--------
2013 GT 5.0 Coupe
2014 Focus ST
2015 Buick LaCrosse Premium

Posts: 580 | From: Livermore, CA | Registered: Sep 2014  |  :
NonOpSlow2V
¯
Member # 6111

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for NonOpSlow2V  Ford pictures for NonOpSlow2V    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I've done 6 80% lowers. However I had access to a CNC machine and was able to get them milled out clean. They were Ares Armor lowers. Worked solid. Stay away from the plastic junk polymer ones...I hear trouble with this. Any aluminum or forged lower is good. Use a jig to mill out and I would recommend a drill press if you can. Harbors freight sells a cheap drill press that works well.

--------------------
1997 Autumn Orange GT vert
1996 Mystic Cobra
2005 95ci Harley Road King
2011 F150 Raptor

Posts: 2139 | From: San Francisco | Registered: Oct 2005  |  :
97cobra209
¯
Member # 11376

Thanks for all the info.. I plan on building a CA compliance rifle with bullet button and all don't see why anyone would give me trouble for it!!

--------------------
2011 GT/CS 5.0

warhorse58gt
¯
Member # 7702

Don't let anyone scared you away from a ploy lower. I have 4 and all of them have 3k+ rounds down range. Never had a single issue with any of them. Rules for not messing up a poly lower.

1. Don't use it as a hammer.
2. Don't over tighten the buff tube.
3. If you get a poly lower without a brass insert in the buff tube location, or the grip. Be careful not to cross thread them. [patriot]

--------------------
WOLFPACK RACING

97cobra209
¯
Member # 11376

Went with a poly lower from Genesis

-

--------------------
2011 GT/CS 5.0

Riggidy
¯
Member # 14194

What upper did you go with?
97cobra209
¯
Member # 11376

Have yet to buy an upper..

[ 2016-02-29, 08:19 PM: Message edited by: 97cobra209 ]

--------------------
2011 GT/CS 5.0

NonOpSlow2V
¯
Member # 6111

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for NonOpSlow2V  Ford pictures for NonOpSlow2V    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I run BCM uppers on all my long guns, with the exception of my Daniel Defense M4. Great solid uppers.

--------------------
1996 Mystic Cobra
2011 F150 Raptor

NonOpSlow2V
¯
Member # 6111

quote:
Don't let anyone scared you away from a ploy lower. I have 4 and all of them have 3k+ rounds down range. Never had a single issue with any of them. Rules for not messing up a poly lower.

3. If you get a poly lower without a brass insert in the buff tube location, or the grip. Be careful not to cross thread them. [patriot]

Good to hear a positive experience regarding the polymer lowers. I've never had one/used one/milled one, but used to hear just the negatives over on the gun forums.

--------------------
1996 Mystic Cobra
2011 F150 Raptor

97cobra209
¯
Member # 11376

quote:
Originally posted by Autumnstang97:
quote:

Good to hear a positive experience regarding the polymer lowers. I've never had one/used one/milled one, but used to hear just the negatives over on the gun forums.
Most company's are on there second re make from having problems with the first batches buy these things are good and perform well from what I've seen

--------------------
2011 GT/CS 5.0

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com