Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » General Talk   » 88 lx with irs question

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: 88 lx with irs question
Stangn5oh
¯
Member # 10875

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Stangn5oh  Ford pictures for Stangn5oh  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
A buddies 88 lx with an 03 cobra irs, It has the eibach pro kit installed 1 1/2 inch drop all around.
The rear is maybe 1/2" lower than the front.

want to either level the rear "add 1/2" to the rear or maybe add an 1" so I can run taller tires.

My question is what springs do I get?
Springs for a 88 lx or 2003 cobra?
Would foxbody springs fit?

Other than foxbodys having a different spring rate than an 03 cobra are they interchangable and still fit "CORRECTLY"

Might aswell ask another question.
This is for the front, 5lug set up Cobra brakes.
It seems as if the right strut is bottoming out "fully compresses and makes a thump" here and there. Going to upgrade to adjustable struts.
Do I stick with foxbody struts?
Only reason why I ask is because aleeady ordered 87-89 maximum motorsports caster camber plates

[ 2015-11-28, 06:21 AM: Message edited by: Stangn5oh ]

--------------------
88 lx
17 Renegade turbo
18 Compass 4x4

Hit the gasser, go faster, all u heard was dual exhaust n flowmasters.

Posts: 1643 | From: Sacramento | Registered: Apr 2011  |  :
LXjames
¯
Member # 10791

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for LXjames  Ford pictures for LXjames    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
You need to stick with irs specific springs for the rear. Before buying new springs see if your rubber isolator is ripped to pieces or missing that could cause a difference in height. If so, a new set could raise the rear like you want.

As for the front struts, stick with v8 fox body struts, I believe they have a shorter shaft which is better for lowered cars, your struts may be old and have lost some fluid causing it to bottom out

--------------------
On Point Motorsport prez.
King Lx

Posts: 4761 | From: Pittsburg CA | Registered: Mar 2011  |  :
Stang66
¯
Member # 10504

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Stang66  Ford pictures for Stang66    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Get some new isolators for the rear, it'll bring back up and slightly improve ride quality !

--------------------
1966 Ford Mustang
1990 Notchback
1975 Pontiac Trans Am 400ci

RRRCobraSC281
¯
Member # 7086

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for RRRCobraSC281  Ford pictures for RRRCobraSC281    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
You need uncut IRS springs.

--------------------
Project 93GT500 has started
90 Coyote Coupe (sold)
88 Mach 1 Coupe MM&FF 6/14 (sold)
65 FFR Cobra (sold)

Posts: 1746 | From: Fremont, CA | Registered: Sep 2006  |  :
Stangn5oh
¯
Member # 10875

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Stangn5oh  Ford pictures for Stangn5oh  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
thanks for your input, you guys are always helpful.

ok so irs springs for the back...
foxbody struts for the front...
already ordered isolaters...

any recamendations on springs?
i am going to keep the eibach pro on the front 1 1/2' drop on the front

if i get eibach pros for irs will they sit even with the front foxbody eibachs? probably not, so i think a 1/2" drop on the back would be good so atleast the rear is a bit taller than the front...
does that sound good?

RRRCobraSC281
¯
Member # 7086

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for RRRCobraSC281  Ford pictures for RRRCobraSC281    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
dont bother with lowered IRS springs. You want stock length, or go coil-overs. But if you go coil-overs you may run into clearence issues with 10" wide rims, and will be limited to 9" wide in the back.

--------------------
90 Coyote Coupe (sold)
65 FFR Cobra (sold)

NEIGHT
¯
Member # 8741

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for NEIGHT  Ford pictures for NEIGHT    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Damn almost didn't notice who you were, what up Frank.

[ 2015-12-02, 05:15 AM: Message edited by: NEIGHT ]

--------------------
-Savage Habits-
1992 Summer Edition
1986 Hatch- catfish killer
1964 Impala hard top

Posts: 18528 | From: EA$T $IDE REDWOOD CITY | Registered: Nov 2008  |  :
Stangn5oh
¯
Member # 10875

Haha what up Neight, Yup its been awhile, after the DAN thing I kinda lost interest in the car scene. but here I am back at it.
I'm sure by now your car is well put together, I don't remember the details but remember you were doing big boy things forsure.

--------------------
88 lx
17 Renegade turbo
18 Compass 4x4

3cRider
¯
Member # 10052

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 3cRider  Ford pictures for 3cRider    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Call Maximum Motorsports. They know their stuff when it comes to mustang suspension.
Stangn5oh
¯
Member # 10875

I heard of people calling summit, American muscle, machine shops, MM, etc....
I don't really call shops etc, because it seems as if I am wasting their time "there at work" but I guess that's what they are there for.
I might give that a shot

--------------------
88 lx
17 Renegade turbo
18 Compass 4x4

RRRCobraSC281
¯
Member # 7086

This is what it will look like with stock Cobra IRS springs without isolators. If you go with lowering springs the lip will be sitting on the tire.

-

[ 2015-12-03, 06:50 PM: Message edited by: RRRCobraSC281 ]

--------------------
90 Coyote Coupe (sold)
65 FFR Cobra (sold)

Stangn5oh
¯
Member # 10875

ill post a pic of the coupe with the irs and eibach pros sitting on 315 nitto drag radials when i get a chance, yes they rub the lip, and cant have my children in the back seat, that is why i am looking for a differnt set up.

i have a pair of 275's that i am going to throw on the rear just to see how that looks this weekend

i also have a pair of 285's but those are on another set of rims with most likely a different back spacing.

i like your ride height, what size tires are you running?

RRRCobraSC281
¯
Member # 7086

Those are 265/40 18 on 18x9

I used to have 285/35-18 with SRA. 18x10 with irs made the inner wheel too close to the rear body mount for me. Plus I don't like the wheel to stick out much.

[ 2015-12-03, 11:35 PM: Message edited by: RRRCobraSC281 ]

Stangn5oh
¯
Member # 10875

[IMG]  - [/IMG]

[ 2015-12-06, 08:27 PM: Message edited by: Stangn5oh ]

--------------------
88 lx
17 Renegade turbo
18 Compass 4x4

Stangn5oh
¯
Member # 10875

-

315/35/17 drag radials set at 25psi

[ 2015-12-06, 08:46 PM: Message edited by: Stangn5oh ]

--------------------
88 lx
17 Renegade turbo
18 Compass 4x4

sofresh
¯
Member # 12393

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for sofresh  Ford pictures for sofresh    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Doesn't look that bad

--------------------
1988 Mustang LX H/C/I

Posts: 238 | From: Bayarea, CA | Registered: Sep 2012  |  :
NEIGHT
¯
Member # 8741

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for NEIGHT  Ford pictures for NEIGHT    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by Stangn5oh:
Haha what up Neight, Yup its been awhile, after the DAN thing I kinda lost interest in the car scene. but here I am back at it.
I'm sure by now your car is well put together, I don't remember the details but remember you were doing big boy things forsure.

Shit I feel it too I didn't touch my car for shit for a while. Now you're just putting on it's just a little 302 with gt40p heads. [Smile] What size are the wheels you have on the coupe? Tires sticking out of the fender like that would drive me crazy.

--------------------
-Savage Habits-
1992 Summer Edition
1986 Hatch- catfish killer
1964 Impala hard top

Posts: 18528 | From: EA$T $IDE REDWOOD CITY | Registered: Nov 2008  |  :
Stangn5oh
¯
Member # 10875

rear end is an irs from an 2003 cobra, they stick out about an inch and a half i believe over stock.

rear tires are 315/35/17

i am going coil overs, to fix and adjust height for my rear, but little did i know it is highly recamended to install front coil overs first.

i talked to someone at Maximum Motorsports he said i am going to have to email the tech department "jack" because its more complicated with the swap.

--------------------
88 lx
17 Renegade turbo
18 Compass 4x4

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com