Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » General Talk   » Alternator upgrade and wheel choice

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: Alternator upgrade and wheel choice
LXjames
¯
Member # 10791

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for LXjames  Ford pictures for LXjames    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Looking for a complete 3G upgrade kit for my 86, I know American muscle has one also latemodelresto, is either kit better? Don't want to make it myself just want the 1 wire kit like they offer.

Running a sn95 cobra rear end, I'm eyeing a pair of 18x10.5 03/04 Cobras from afs, how will they fit with the added width of the axles? Should I just run ranger axles and nrc brackets to keep the wheel and tire in? Pics would help if you got them

--------------------
On Point Motorsport prez.
King Lx

Posts: 4761 | From: Pittsburg CA | Registered: Mar 2011  |  :
Blind
2.3L
CAFords OG
Member # 3052

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Blind  Ford pictures for Blind    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
your only chance to fit a wheel that wide without having to get to know a hammer really well on the fenders will need to be s197 offset and not sn95 offset with that rear end.

alternator is an alternator, sn95's are all over the yards now. I got a 3g and the single power wire from the same car off a `95 GT at the local yard for $23, tested it at local auto parts store for free and it works great.

Hint, buy engine parts off cars that are there obviously for collision damage [Wink]

--------------------
89 LX Notchback ex 4cyl, 14psi
02 Harley F150, 15psi

Posts: 8521 | From: Fairfield | Registered: Jul 2003  |  :
sofresh
¯
Member # 12393

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for sofresh  Ford pictures for sofresh    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I have the one from latemodelresto haven't had any issues been on for a year or so. I would say go with nrc brackets keep fox length.

--------------------
1988 Mustang LX H/C/I

Posts: 238 | From: Bayarea, CA | Registered: Sep 2012  |  :
LXjames
¯
Member # 10791

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for LXjames  Ford pictures for LXjames    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by Blind:
your only chance to fit a wheel that wide without having to get to know a hammer really well on the fenders will need to be s197 offset and not sn95 offset with that rear end.

alternator is an alternator, sn95's are all over the yards now. I got a 3g and the single power wire from the same car off a `95 GT at the local yard for $23, tested it at local auto parts store for free and it works great.

Hint, buy engine parts off cars that are there obviously for collision damage [Wink]

I had a fox length rear end but it had issues so I found this cobra rear end. I think the consensus on the rear wheel fitment is that it just won't work without a lot of work involved. As for the alternator kit, I just want new. Rather not have issues down the road because of junkyard parts with no warranty

--------------------
King Lx

racsirx
CAFords OG
Member # 1710

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for racsirx  Ford pictures for racsirx    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by LXjames:
quote:
Originally posted by Blind:

I had a fox length rear end but it had issues so I found this cobra rear end. I think the consensus on the rear wheel fitment is that it just won't work without a lot of work involved. As for the alternator kit, I just want new. Rather not have issues down the road because of junkyard parts with no warranty
If you are going to run a SN95 Rearend and want a 10" rear rims, they need to be for a S197, but if you want to run a 9" rim get it with a 25mm offset, just did this today with my 86 Saleen

--------------------
88 Saleen #564
88 GT 331 NOVI2000
88 Coupe TURBO 9.75@142
95 Cobra R #75-SOLD
06 F250
13 BMW AH3
17 GT350 #5556
GOD'S NOT DEAD

Posts: 20750 | From: Concord & Pittsburg, CA | Registered: Aug 2002  |  :
NEIGHT
¯
Member # 8741

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for NEIGHT  Ford pictures for NEIGHT    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
You'll stick out a lot with the sn95 rear end. There's a guy on corral who sells that wiring kit for cheaper, I bought mine off him like 2-3 years ago.

--------------------
-Savage Habits-
1992 Summer Edition
1986 Hatch- catfish killer
1964 Impala hard top

Posts: 18528 | From: EA$T $IDE REDWOOD CITY | Registered: Nov 2008  |  :
LXjames
¯
Member # 10791

quote:
Originally posted by NEIGHT:
You'll stick out a lot with the sn95 rear end. There's a guy on corral who sells that wiring kit for cheaper, I bought mine off him like 2-3 years ago.

Ttop50 was supposed to forward his email but I never recieved anything.

--------------------
King Lx

NEIGHT
¯
Member # 8741

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for NEIGHT  Ford pictures for NEIGHT    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
quote:

Ttop50 was supposed to forward his email but I never recieved anything.
http://forums.corral.net/forums/windsor-engine-parts/856985-genuine-motorcraft-3g-alternator-upgrade-kit-pwr-wire-fuse-ect.html#/forumsite/20549/topics/1261173?page=1

--------------------
-Savage Habits-
1992 Summer Edition
1964 Impala hard top

NEIGHT
¯
Member # 8741

My bad the link I posted yesterday wasn't the one I was trying to post but here's just the wiring kit.

http://forums.corral.net/forums/windsor-engine-parts/1208926-3g-alternator-upgrade-complete-kit.html

--------------------
-Savage Habits-
1992 Summer Edition
1964 Impala hard top

LXjames
¯
Member # 10791

quote:
My bad the link I posted yesterday wasn't the one I was trying to post but here's just the wiring kit.

http://forums.corral.net/forums/windsor-engine-parts/1208926-3g-alternator-upgrade-complete-kit.html

Thanks neight. I sent dude a message, I am still bummed about the wheels tho. I guess 18x9's for the rear are my best bet

--------------------
King Lx

FOXX5.0
¯
Member # 9094

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for FOXX5.0  Ford pictures for FOXX5.0    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
quote:

Thanks neight. I sent dude a message, I am still bummed about the wheels tho. I guess 18x9's for the rear are my best bet
You can donate me the 18x10.5 to the fund my winter wheels at gofundme.com
LXjames
¯
Member # 10791

quote:
Originally posted by FOXX5.0:
quote:
quote:

You can donate me the 18x10.5 to the fund my winter wheels at gofundme.com
Come to think of it, I should just put those on the faleen and the fr500's on the coupe! Thanks Jaime lol

--------------------
King Lx

87droptop50
Go Giants!
Member # 7185

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 87droptop50  Ford pictures for 87droptop50  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
If your using a cobra rear end and you want to run 10 1/2s in the rear. You can buy the correct fox legnth axles on late model resto, and you can modify you existing brackets for your calipers
LXjames
¯
Member # 10791

quote:
Originally posted by 87droptop50:
If your using a cobra rear end and you want to run 10 1/2s in the rear. You can buy the correct fox legnth axles on late model resto, and you can modify you existing brackets for your calipers

I did just price out some moser fox lengths but what can I do to my existing cobra brakes and brackets so that I don't have to buy the nrc?

--------------------
King Lx

RRRCobraSC281
¯
Member # 7086

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for RRRCobraSC281  Ford pictures for RRRCobraSC281    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
C notch you flange brackets and mount them on the inside. Of course left side will.now go on the right side, vice versa. The u bolt/clamp weld will need to be carefully ground off the anti-moen brackets. The foot of the anti-moen brackets need to be cut back about 3/4" and with the modified flange, anti-moen brackets and u bolt fastened in the correct location, reweld the u bolt to the anti-moen brackets. Repaint parts with satin black paint and your done.

[ 2015-10-30, 11:27 AM: Message edited by: RRRCobraSC281 ]

--------------------
Project 93GT500 has started
90 Coyote Coupe (sold)
88 Mach 1 Coupe MM&FF 6/14 (sold)
65 FFR Cobra (sold)

Posts: 1746 | From: Fremont, CA | Registered: Sep 2006  |  :
LXjames
¯
Member # 10791

quote:
Originally posted by RRRCobraSC281:
C notch you flange brackets and mount them on the inside. Of course left side will.now go on the right side, vice versa. The u bolt/clamp weld will need to be carefully ground off the anti-moen brackets. The foot of the anti-moen brackets need to be cut back about 3/4" and with the modified flange, anti-moen brackets and u bolt fastened in the correct location, reweld the u bolt to the anti-moen brackets. Repaint parts with satin black paint and your done.

Ok Robert when you coming over then? Lol sounds simple I just don't have a welder or even a machine to c notch the mounting plates

--------------------
King Lx

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com