Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » General Talk   » 1990 Mustang on Craigs List (UPDATE)

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: 1990 Mustang on Craigs List (UPDATE)
siri95
CAFords OG
Member # 2840

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for siri95  Ford pictures for siri95  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Does anyone know who's Mustang this is? Looks like a great Mustang and I'm thinking about checking it out.

Found out its running catless. Will I have an issue smoging it? Also, does not have pinkslip, however order a duplicate. Will the DMV forms suffice for the title transfer?

http://sfbay.craigslist.org/sby/cto/5118302647.html

[ 2015-07-14, 01:29 PM: Message edited by: siri95 ]

--------------------
1995 Mustang GT (sold)
1992 Ford F-150 XLT (sold)
1986 Mustang SVO (sold)

SIC9250
¯
Member # 8216

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for SIC9250  Ford pictures for SIC9250    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
The ad has changed obviously but this car was for sale awhile back and another member was interested and I think bought it,maybe is selling it now..here's what the folks had to say when he asked what they thought..

http://californiafords.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=1;t=062199#000013

[ 2015-07-11, 07:17 PM: Message edited by: SIC9250 ]

--------------------
Coyote_Mach1

Posts: 6959 | From: in the drivers seat. | Registered: Feb 2008  |  :
90GT510
¯
Member # 9199

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 90GT510  Ford pictures for 90GT510    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Ad says never abused. Doubt that.

--------------------
Stay Sydewayz

Posts: 1725 | From: East Bay/Dallas, TX | Registered: May 2009  |  :
LXjames
¯
Member # 10791

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for LXjames  Ford pictures for LXjames    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
That one closely resembles the one that was for sale then crashed into on the driver rear qp. Exact paint rims etc but it's up to op for inspection.

--------------------
On Point Motorsport prez.
King Lx

Posts: 4761 | From: Pittsburg CA | Registered: Mar 2011  |  :
SSFGiant
¯
Member # 10811

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for SSFGiant  Ford pictures for SSFGiant    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Pm maeco. I txd him all about this car. He checked it out twice.

--------------------
2014 Mustang GT
1988 Mustang GT

Posts: 588 | From: South San Fran | Registered: Apr 2011  |  :
siri95
CAFords OG
Member # 2840

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for siri95  Ford pictures for siri95  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
thanks for the replies and the link everyone.

Maeco check PM. i would love to know what you thought about the Mustang.

--------------------
1995 Mustang GT (sold)
1986 Mustang SVO (sold)

Blow_U_In_Reverse
¯
Member # 12298

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Blow_U_In_Reverse  Ford pictures for Blow_U_In_Reverse    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by LXjames:
That one closely resembles the one that was for sale then crashed into on the driver rear qp. Exact paint rims etc but it's up to op for inspection.

Yeah I think its that same car.. He crashed it the same day I was supposed to go buy it..

--------------------
"Real Men Get BLOWN"
-1993 Cobra "COBRUUH"
-1984 T-Top Notchback
#KurganTuned

Posts: 2688 | From: FiJi-925-650 | Registered: Aug 2012  |  :
siri95
CAFords OG
Member # 2840

quote:
Originally posted by Blow_U_In_Reverse:
quote:

Yeah I think its that same car.. He crashed it the same day I was supposed to go buy it..
wait what? really? whats the story behind that?

the owner just told me that the reason for the paint job is bc "due to old age..the old paint was looking tired" and owned the stang for a year..and "[it was] under [his] sisters name before she got a new car"

--------------------
1995 Mustang GT (sold)
1986 Mustang SVO (sold)

Blow_U_In_Reverse
¯
Member # 12298

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Blow_U_In_Reverse  Ford pictures for Blow_U_In_Reverse    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by siri95:
quote:
quote:

the owner just told me that the reason for the paint job is bc "due to old age..the old paint was looking tired" and owned the stang for a year..and "[it was] under [his] sisters name before she got a new car"

Yeah the car wasnt under the guys name.. he had it on Craigslist for a while before.. said it has a new motor and a bunch of other parts.. but he had crashed it the same day I was supposed to go look at it & buy it.. it was earlier this year/end of last year when it crashed.. damage looked bad so im pretty sure if you inspect it properly, you will see the signs of the crash.. it was enough for insurance to salvage it IF it was reported (but i dont think it was).. he tried to sell it after he crashed at first but then he took it off Craigslist (or he might have sold it and current owner fixed it).. it miight not be the same car, but i Highly doubt theres 2 cars that are pretty much identical.. n seems to be the same one since it has new paint.. inspect it very thoroughly!

[ 2015-07-11, 11:13 PM: Message edited by: Blow_U_In_Reverse ]

--------------------
"Real Men Get BLOWN"
-1993 Cobra "COBRUUH"
-1984 T-Top Notchback
#KurganTuned

Posts: 2688 | From: FiJi-925-650 | Registered: Aug 2012  |  :
1996 GT
I'm Joe Yates
Member # 4992

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 1996 GT  Ford pictures for 1996 GT    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
better than carfox, CAFordfacts FTW!!!
Blue92
¯
Member # 8789

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Blue92  Ford pictures for Blue92    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Saw this car drive by my house yesterday. Looked good from a distance. Didn't sound the greatest though. Sure it just needs exhaust.
Robb
¯
Member # 9444

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Robb  Ford pictures for Robb    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I'd steer clear of this car. Too many red flags and overpriced to begin with.
Posts: 2467 | From: Sacramento,CA | Registered: Sep 2009  |  :
Robb
¯
Member # 9444

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Robb  Ford pictures for Robb    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by siri95:
quote:
quote:

Yeah the car wasnt under the guys name.. he had it on Craigslist for a while before.. said it has a new motor and a bunch of other parts.. but he had crashed it the same day I was supposed to go look at it & buy it.. it was earlier this year/end of last year when it crashed.. damage looked bad so im pretty sure if you inspect it properly, you will see the signs of the crash.. it was enough for insurance to salvage it IF it was reported (but i dont think it was).. he tried to sell it after he crashed at first but then he took it off Craigslist (or he might have sold it and current owner fixed it).. it miight not be the same car, but i Highly doubt theres 2 cars that are pretty much identical.. n seems to be the same one since it has new paint.. inspect it very thoroughly!
Plus it says in the ad(way in the middle) that the airbag light is on. Another red flag.
Posts: 2467 | From: Sacramento,CA | Registered: Sep 2009  |  :
siri95
CAFords OG
Member # 2840

Update:
After a thorough inspection, everything checked out ok for the most part. The car is not flawless but it is nice, drives straight, and sounds somewhat decent.

I went home and started to do my research on what to watch out for, common issues, recommendation in a good smog legal set up, etc etc

Before I made any decisions on the car, I started to think about the conversations I had with the seller and it wasn’t adding up. My gut feeling was telling me he was hiding something….He told me he had the car for a while and knows the complete history, but when I asked him specific questions like ...why there is a paperclip connected to an electric connecter next to the distributor cap and he didn't know why…or why is there weld marks in the engine bay fenders as if part of the front end was taken off and replaced and he didn’t know about that either. Or why does the car have a strong scent of gas fumes when driving…he said I roll down the windows when I drive…

And here is the list of things I also discovered:
-Passenger door does not lock
-Trunk button does not work
-center console is loose
-no pink slip on hand it was “being mailed”
-has two weird buttons.. one is connected to an old horn and the other is connected to the alternator (per the seller)
-car horn is not working on the steering wheel but has a small button under the steering column
-small leak near the transmission
-no spare tire
-missing random interior parts

But here are the positives:
exterior / seats are clean and in good shape, clutch it good, rims look good, short shifter, engine feels healthy, a “clean” Carfax, starts right up, no signs of overheating, windows roll up and down, all the exterior lights work, drives straight and car is registered to his name.

With all the things I found out during the inspection and from all you guys, I still gave him the benefit of doubt because what if he just purchased the car and is trying to get rid of it…

After much thought and logical thinking, I decided to walk away from the Mustang and wait another day. It’s a good Mustang but, my gut feeling is telling me it will be me more of a nuisance then enjoying the Mustang. I would invest a lot to get it up to par and I’d rather wait for another one to come up. I’m sure the Mustang will find another home; it just won’t be my home.

Thanks CaFords for all your input and advice.
[dance] [patriot]

--------------------
1995 Mustang GT (sold)
1986 Mustang SVO (sold)

H8RPWRD
¯
Member # 12588

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for H8RPWRD  Ford pictures for H8RPWRD    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Damn no spare

--------------------
89 Lx Vert
93 LX Notch- sold
01 Bullitt #00919- Sold
90 LX- Sold
89 LX Vert- Sold
89 LX (DarkHorse)-Sold

maeco
¯
Member # 2578

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for maeco  Ford pictures for maeco    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Cafords is way better that carfar whe it comes to mustangs on cl lol

--------------------
Looking for clean white mustang email me

maeco
¯
Member # 2578

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for maeco  Ford pictures for maeco    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
On top of whats mentioned here's whatbi know.

so this car supposedly was own by an older gentleman from pacifica who did alot of the mechanical work to it. A younger gentleman bought it and that's when I first saw it forsale. My first thought why already selling it when he just got it? I figure he was trying to flip it which I didn't really care since the car looks clean. It took me a week to come up with the cash when I called him the car was hit parked somewhere in DC. Months passed all of a sudden I see a similar lx but can't tell since the other one was hit pretty bad And this was super clean.
When I asked the guy he sent me whole bunch pics and was straight forward telling me he was also gonna buy it before the accident but it was a bit to high.
So when it got reposted with the car already smashed he called the guy and got a great deal. He fixed it and I mean the work was nice couldnt tell it was ever been hit. Ran good ran healthy and sounded good as well. The only draw back was the door hinges and where it s bolted to the body was rusted to a point it has holes and the metal are breaking appart basically looms lime the door will fall off. After meeting with the guy the second time this is when I discovered this and decided not to buy it. By the way the younger gentleman was the one that pointed out ball the things I should check for he is actually one of the caford member's friend. Hope this helps..

--------------------
Looking for clean white mustang email me

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com