Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » General Talk   » Which clutch to get for a 550rwhp fox? (Page 1)

- Email this post to someone!   Page: 1  2   
Author Topic: Which clutch to get for a 550rwhp fox?
*EPIK*
¯
Member # 7481

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for *EPIK*  Ford pictures for *EPIK*    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I'm looking to get a clutch for my blown fox coupe build. The trans is a 26 spline beefed up TKO 500, and my combo should be making roughly 500-550rwhp & 450-500 rwtq. I have eventual plans of possibly making 650rwhp down the road, but that might not be for a while, so I would prefer to get a clutch that will be able to handle around 600-650ish HP/TQ. I want something that can handle high RPM launches at the track on slicks, but also be streetable.

I'm looking at either the Centerforce DFX, the Mcleod Street Extreme, or possibly the Spec 3+. Twin disk stuff is out of my price range & honestly is overkill for my power level IMO. I previously had a center force dual friction, & LOVED it, but it's not enough for my future power level goals... What are you guys using or what are your experiences?

Thanks in advance. [patriot]

[ 2015-06-24, 03:59 PM: Message edited by: *EPIK* ]

--------------------
=91 Notch:12.31@110 **Under Construction**
=05 CTS-V: 418rwhp/393rwtq=13.01@111

http://www.djepikmusic.com

91 5.0 5speed
¯
Member # 1867

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 91 5.0 5speed  Ford pictures for 91 5.0 5speed    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Best to get the twin disk. spend the xtra money now so you can have a reliable combo [patriot]
*EPIK*
¯
Member # 7481

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for *EPIK*  Ford pictures for *EPIK*    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by 91 5.0 5speed:
Best to get the twin disk. spend the xtra money now so you can have a reliable combo [patriot]

Yeah, but my car will never make more than 650hp/tq, and if it does, the TKO won't be abe to handle that type of power anyway. Don't you think the twin disk maybe overkill?

--------------------

*EPIK*
¯
Member # 7481

Anybody else?

--------------------

Mr.10psi
¯
Member # 11062

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mr.10psi  Ford pictures for Mr.10psi  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
centerforce dfx is legit. Plenty of heavier 03 cobras making more than 600rwhp torque and upwards of 650-700rwhp using this clutch. Your fox is way lighter.

--------------------
02 white saleen(sold) 347 stroker in the works

92_5.0
¯
Member # 7624

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 92_5.0  Ford pictures for 92_5.0    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Spec stage 3 here, it holds 540 rwhp no problem and feels similar to a king cobra clutch

--------------------
Infineon/Sears point? same difference!
11.8 @ 115 mph @ Sac Raceway
411 rwhp 402 trq (old set up)
540 rwhp 517 rwtrq (new set up)
ET's to come

*EPIK*
¯
Member # 7481

quote:
Originally posted by Mr.10psi:
centerforce dfx is legit. Plenty of heavier 03 cobras making more than 600rwhp torque and upwards of 650-700rwhp using this clutch. Your fox is way lighter.

True. My fox was 2950 lbs in street trim when it was a stock block HCI, with the AC deleted. I'm thinking with the blower, dart block, & AC back in, it will probably be above 3100 lbs in street trim.

I'm just worried about the on/off engagement that I hear about with this clutch. I know I have to sacrifice one thing for the other. If I want a clutch that holds up at the track, the street manners might not be as good, but i'm looking to find something thats the best of both worlds LOL.

[ 2015-06-24, 05:46 PM: Message edited by: *EPIK* ]

--------------------

*EPIK*
¯
Member # 7481

quote:
Originally posted by 92_5.0:
Spec stage 3 here, it holds 540 rwhp no problem and feels similar to a king cobra clutch

I didn't like the pedal effort on the King Cobra when I used to have one back in the day, it was super stiff. Centerforce dual friction pedal feel was nice.

I was looking at the Spec 3+, but it says you have to run their flywheel with it, & I was gonna use my stock flywheel that was resurfaced & modified to work with a 28 oz balance. All my buddies (with built cars) were saying that buying a billet steel flywheel was a waste of money, since I'm kinda on a tight budget.

[ 2015-06-24, 05:44 PM: Message edited by: *EPIK* ]

--------------------

Blow_U_In_Reverse
¯
Member # 12298

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Blow_U_In_Reverse  Ford pictures for Blow_U_In_Reverse    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
580rwhp with a spec stage 3.. had no issues.. daily driven on the streets.. not sure how it would do at a track, it was very streetable..

--------------------
"Real Men Get BLOWN"
-1993 Cobra "COBRUUH"
-1984 T-Top Notchback
#KurganTuned

Posts: 2688 | From: FiJi-925-650 | Registered: Aug 2012  |  :
*EPIK*
¯
Member # 7481

quote:
Originally posted by Blow_U_In_Reverse:
580rwhp with a spec stage 3.. had no issues.. daily driven on the streets.. not sure how it would do at a track, it was very streetable..

Not so worried about it holding up on the street, but more worried about it slipping at the track when launched at high rpm's on full slicks.

--------------------

Saleen 00-768
¯
Member # 9379

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Saleen 00-768  Ford pictures for Saleen 00-768    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by *EPIK*:
quote:
Originally posted by Blow_U_In_Reverse:

Not so worried about it holding up on the street, but more worried about it slipping at the track when launched at high rpm's on full slicks.
McLeod RST twin disc don't look back.

--------------------
'00 Saleen SC #768
'90 GT
'90 California Edition (sold)
'87 Saleen #264 (sold)

Pure Stang
¯
Member # 7251

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Pure Stang  Ford pictures for Pure Stang    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Not going to lie the spec stage 3 I have felt a little lighter than the centerforce. Grabs a bit quicker than the centerforce as well.

--------------------
HEART BREAKER

R.I.P Willie Guzman (5ltrsvt) you will be missed brother.
04/24/87 - 11/23/2012

90 lx 347 RIP
86 gt
89 lx- next project

*EPIK*
¯
Member # 7481

Everyone on the other forums & my buddy with an 03 Cobra says that the Spec 3+ chatter hella bad & that they suck balls on the street.

--------------------

1SLWFOX
¯
Member # 5779

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 1SLWFOX  Ford pictures for 1SLWFOX    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Everyone on the other forums & my buddy with an 03 Cobra says that the Spec 3+ chatter hella bad & that they suck balls on the street.

Sounds like they have a wimpy leg lol maybe they should go auto.

--------------------
The Anti-crew
187Performance
------------------------
1979 notchback
1988 notchback
302 B-Cam, GT40s, cobra Intake, and exhaust

Posts: 583 | From: Westcoast1320 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  :
1996 GT
I'm Joe Yates
Member # 4992

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 1996 GT  Ford pictures for 1996 GT    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by Chicken__coupe:
quote:

Never skip leg day. [Wink]

--------------------
http://i.magaimg.net/img/257w.png

*EPIK*
¯
Member # 7481

quote:
Originally posted by 135.0:
quote:
quote:

They complained more about excessive chatter and a ridiculous on/off engagement.

--------------------

1SLWFOX
¯
Member # 5779

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 1SLWFOX  Ford pictures for 1SLWFOX    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:

They complained more about excessive chatter and a ridiculous on/off engagement.
On/off engagement is perfect, It's either in or out.

--------------------
The Anti-crew
187Performance
------------------------
1979 notchback
1988 notchback

*EPIK*
¯
Member # 7481

quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:

On/off engagement is perfect, It's either in or out.
Yeah, I guess this is true, but seems like street drivability would kinda suck?

--------------------

hurting your feelings
¯
Member # 13641

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for hurting your feelings  Ford pictures for hurting your feelings    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
2 speed th400
Posts: 1830 | From: In front of the bank with a 45 an a ski mask | Registered: Jun 2014  |  :
1SLWFOX
¯
Member # 5779

Spec2+ chattered for a few 100 miles but was fine after that and was super smooth. It worked great on the street and great at the track.

Spec3 had no chatter and was smooth. Also worked great on the street/track.

Both pedals were stiff but I was use to it and it didn't bother me. Driving a high performance stick shift fox in traffic sucks regardless the pedal feel lol. Which ever clutch you go with I'm sure it will work for your setup

--------------------
The Anti-crew
187Performance
------------------------
1979 notchback
1988 notchback

*EPIK*
¯
Member # 7481

quote:
Spec2+ chattered for a few 100 miles but was fine after that and was super smooth. It worked great on the street and great at the track.

Spec3 had no chatter and was smooth. Also worked great on the street/track.

Both pedals were stiff but I was use to it and it didn't bother me. Driving a high performance stick shift fox in traffic sucks regardless the pedal feel lol. Which ever clutch you go with I'm sure it will work for your setup

Thanks for the clearer info. It will NEVER be a DD, and doubt it will see much stop and go traffic, but I do want something semi-smooth, that can handle abuse on slicks.

--------------------

SIC9250
¯
Member # 8216

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for SIC9250  Ford pictures for SIC9250    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Spec stg 3+ hands down

--------------------
Coyote_Mach1

Posts: 6959 | From: in the drivers seat. | Registered: Feb 2008  |  :
*EPIK*
¯
Member # 7481

quote:
Originally posted by SIC9250:
Spec stg 3+ hands down

You've had one before Brandon?

--------------------

92_5.0
¯
Member # 7624

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 92_5.0  Ford pictures for 92_5.0    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by 92_5.0:

I didn't like the pedal effort on the King Cobra when I used to have one back in the day, it was super stiff. Centerforce dual friction pedal feel was nice.

I was looking at the Spec 3+, but it says you have to run their flywheel with it, & I was gonna use my stock flywheel that was resurfaced & modified to work with a 28 oz balance. All my buddies (with built cars) were saying that buying a billet steel
flywheel was a waste of money, since I'm kinda on a tight budget.

The pedal feel was fine to me, I'm running a FMS billet steel flywheel

--------------------
ET's to come

92_5.0
¯
Member # 7624

The chatter is minimal and tolerable.

--------------------
ET's to come

Page: 1  2   
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com