Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » General Talk   » car bank loan advice (Page 2)

- Email this post to someone!   Page: 1  2   
Author Topic: car bank loan advice
351w
¯
Member # 11875

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 351w  Ford pictures for 351w    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
With 8% interest and a 4 year term his payment will be $610, insurance is unknown, but to tell anyone it's a good idea to spend around $750 a month to drive around an 03 Cobra isn't giving good advice, period.
Robb
¯
Member # 9444

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Robb  Ford pictures for Robb    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by TEXAS:
With 8% interest and a 4 year term his payment will be $610, insurance is unknown, but to tell anyone it's a good idea to spend around $750 a month to drive around an 03 Cobra isn't giving good advice, period.

Full coverage insurance on an 03 Cobra will be ALOT as well. $800+ a month is crazy for a 12 year old Mustang
Posts: 2467 | From: Sacramento,CA | Registered: Sep 2009  |  :
*EPIK*
¯
Member # 7481

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for *EPIK*  Ford pictures for *EPIK*    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by Robb:
quote:

Full coverage insurance on an 03 Cobra will be ALOT as well. $800+ a month is crazy for a 12 year old Mustang
Can't say I disagree with you guys there. But I've gotten a loan for $26k once, and my monthly payment was $475, and I think my apr was around 7% give or take with a 5 year loan. Also got a loan for $19k with a 3.8% interest rate on a 5 year loan and my monthly payment was $300. If the loan is for $15k, he won't be in too bad of shape, but I suggest having at least $3k down on anyone of these loans.

What's even more crazy to me is that a 12 year old Mustang is still worth $25k, I'm sorry but 03-04 Cobras are grossly overpriced!

[ 2015-06-03, 05:21 PM: Message edited by: *EPIK* ]

--------------------
=91 Notch:12.31@110 **Under Construction**
=05 CTS-V: 418rwhp/393rwtq=13.01@111

http://www.djepikmusic.com

Blind
2.3L
CAFords OG
Member # 3052

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Blind  Ford pictures for Blind    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by *EPIK*:
quote:
quote:

Can't say I disagree with you guys there. But I've gotten a loan for $26k once, and my monthly payment was $475, and I think my apr was around 7% give or take with a 5 year loan. Also got a loan for $19k with a 3.8% interest rate on a 5 year loan and my monthly payment was $300. If the loan is for $15k, he won't be in too bad of shape, but I suggest having at least $3k down on anyone of these loans.

What's even more crazy to me is that a 12 year old Mustang is still worth $25k, I'm sorry but 03-04 Cobras are grossly overpriced!

a 5 year loan cost less per month than a 4 year loan?

[Eek!] [Eek!] [Eek!]

[Wink]

--------------------
89 LX Notchback ex 4cyl, 14psi
02 Harley F150, 15psi

Posts: 8521 | From: Fairfield | Registered: Jul 2003  |  :
*EPIK*
¯
Member # 7481

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for *EPIK*  Ford pictures for *EPIK*    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by Blind:
quote:
quote:
quote:

a 5 year loan cost less per month than a 4 year loan?

[Eek!] [Eek!] [Eek!]

[Wink]

Thus the reason I've always opted for the 5 year loan, cheaper payments.

--------------------

adower
¯
Member # 5955

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for adower  Ford pictures for adower    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Get a 6 yr loan and make double payments every now and then.

--------------------
98 Cobra
Griggs
S Trim
HRE

losbadgts
¯
Member # 4394

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for losbadgts  Ford pictures for losbadgts    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Everyone knows making a longer loan means more money that u give away. I got a small loan last year for credit wise. Around 8500 with 3% interest. Which the bank is only going to make 500 bucks in five years but since im paying off the loan in about 2 years there only making around 200 bucks of me. Lol there is lots of loans now a days for new cars with 0% with good credit.

--------------------
Why pretent someone u are not, everyone else could see it.

Posts: 3625 | From: redwood city | Registered: Apr 2004  |  :
92_5.0
¯
Member # 7624

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 92_5.0  Ford pictures for 92_5.0    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
It's all about the down payment. Keep in mind dealer fees, tax, title, license, extended warranty etc. can easily swallow a down payment. Put a big chunk down to cover those fees as well as make a dent as a down payment.

--------------------
Infineon/Sears point? same difference!
11.8 @ 115 mph @ Sac Raceway
411 rwhp 402 trq (old set up)
540 rwhp 517 rwtrq (new set up)
ET's to come

*EPIK*
¯
Member # 7481

Yup, longer loan, means more interest, but it also gives you a lower monthly payment which allows you to pay extra on top of the payment if you can afford it, which goes directly to the principal, thus paying off the car a bit sooner. Also, it's nice to have the lower payment, just in case you are struggling money wise one month.

--------------------

losbadgts
¯
Member # 4394

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for losbadgts  Ford pictures for losbadgts    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Yup, longer loan, means more interest, but it also gives you a lower monthly payment which allows you to pay extra on top of the payment if you can afford it, which goes directly to the principal, thus paying off the car a bit sooner. Also, it's nice to have the lower payment, just in case you are struggling money wise one month.

I totally agree with you on this. That why i went with a 5 year loan since u never know if something happens. But i knew going in i was going to pay off the car a lot sooner.

--------------------
Why pretent someone u are not, everyone else could see it.

Posts: 3625 | From: redwood city | Registered: Apr 2004  |  :
*EPIK*
¯
Member # 7481

quote:
Originally posted by losbadgts:
quote:

I totally agree with you on this. That why i went with a 5 year loan since u never know if something happens. But i knew going in i was going to pay off the car a lot sooner.
Yup, agreed 100%. I always put at least $50-$75 extra on top of my payment, at the bare minimum!

--------------------

Mr.10psi
¯
Member # 11062

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mr.10psi  Ford pictures for Mr.10psi  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
thanks for all the replies fellas. Really appreciate it. Should be easy from here on out

--------------------
02 white saleen(sold) 347 stroker in the works

SWITCH 625.0
¯
Member # 9322

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for SWITCH 625.0  Ford pictures for SWITCH 625.0  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I see you are in the 530, check with Sierra Central C.U. Their strong suit is car loans. If you are in the market for a Terminator, you don't have to pay 25K for one. I always jump on here and remind people not to go Terminator Crazy and over pay for one. The one warning I can give is, Terminator's are as expensive to insure as an 07 to 10 GT 500 or new 5.0 Good luck with your pursuit.

--------------------
04 TR Cobra
07 Shelby GT/SC 552 HP
89 Gt 331,AFR's,Paxton,TKO,3:73
68 Nova 396, 4 speed, 12 Bolt
65 SPF 427 Cobra Replica

Posts: 165 | From: Yuba City,Ca | Registered: Jul 2009  |  :
ed650
¯
Member # 9897

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for ed650  Ford pictures for ed650    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I think the best thing to do is pay the minimum due and save on the side for incase you need money for your next payment, keep doing it like and at the end of the year give everything you have saved up and refinance again to lower your interest and monthly payments. Its pointless to give more than minimum because banks wont care if you pay more they will still want the minimum payment next month.

--------------------
410w Hatch
306Ci Coupe

Posts: 1744 | From: menlo park | Registered: Apr 2010  |  :
*EPIK*
¯
Member # 7481

quote:
Originally posted by ed650:
I think the best thing to do is pay the minimum due and save on the side for incase you need money for your next payment, keep doing it like and at the end of the year give everything you have saved up and refinance again to lower your interest and monthly payments. Its pointless to give more than minimum because banks wont care if you pay more they will still want the minimum payment next month.

They don't care, but it knocks some directly off the principle when you pay extra, thus paying the car off quicker.

This has always worked for me, and it's even allowed me to payoff a loan a year and a half quicker by paying extra.

[ 2015-06-03, 10:07 PM: Message edited by: *EPIK* ]

--------------------

SWITCH 625.0
¯
Member # 9322

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for SWITCH 625.0  Ford pictures for SWITCH 625.0  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
*EPIK* is right. It is a way to pay off early and save you money on the Interest. Start paying extra as early as you can. It's a very simple method to save you money and get the Pink slip early. Then you own it and have complete control.

--------------------
04 TR Cobra
07 Shelby GT/SC 552 HP
65 SPF 427 Cobra Replica

ed650
¯
Member # 9897

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for ed650  Ford pictures for ed650    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Didn't know that.

[ 2015-06-03, 11:09 PM: Message edited by: ed650 ]

--------------------
410w Hatch
306Ci Coupe

Posts: 1744 | From: menlo park | Registered: Apr 2010  |  :
1996 GT
I'm Joe Yates
Member # 4992

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 1996 GT  Ford pictures for 1996 GT    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by ed650:

That's really good advice!!! [Wink] . I was denied a loan at Paul blanco, could you cosign for me?

--------------------
http://i.magaimg.net/img/257w.png

Robb
¯
Member # 9444

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Robb  Ford pictures for Robb    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Carhop can get you driving today for as little as $99 down
Posts: 2467 | From: Sacramento,CA | Registered: Sep 2009  |  :
JohnB
Tech Moderator
Member # 969

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for JohnB  Ford pictures for JohnB    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by SWITCH 625.0:
The one warning I can give is, Terminator's are as expensive to insure as an 07 to 10 GT 500 or new 5.0 Good luck with your pursuit.

My Shelby was double my Cobra. Wasn't expecting that, especially since both are paid off.

Insurance is definitely something to keep in mind!

And another +1 for Travis CU. They've been my bank for 20+ years, numerous loans through them. Good people. [Smile]

--------------------
1965 Shelby Cobra
1993 Cobra
2012 F150 Raptor
2020 GT500

Posts: 6523 | From: Orlando FL/Redding CA | Registered: Mar 2002  |  :
SWITCH 625.0
¯
Member # 9322

I checked last month and a new 5.0 and Gt 500's were $2.00 and $6.00 more a month compared to my Terminator. It may be my age and California vs Florida. The Terminator is high due to an "Excessive Claims History" (Go Figure!) The Gt 500 may not be old enough to have compiled a negative History with my Insurance Co.

[ 2015-06-04, 11:48 AM: Message edited by: SWITCH 625.0 ]

--------------------
04 TR Cobra
07 Shelby GT/SC 552 HP
65 SPF 427 Cobra Replica

venomous99
¯
Member # 1917

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for venomous99  Ford pictures for venomous99    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
crazy interest rates being thrown out here but i guess u gotta go w/ what is available to u based on your credit history. if you're getting quoted 7% obviously there is a good reason why you're getting a shiet rate .

financing is fine and yes even ppl w/ the money to front do it all the time..and there is nothing wrong w/ it as long as you put in some thought on whats the best course of action for your situation.

most often credit unions give you the best rates compared the big name banks. i was recently preapproved through premierone cu at 1.7% for a used car up to $50k for up to a 6 year term based on highest tier credit. also try penfed.org which usually has some damn good rates. good luck

--------------------
MKII Q7
89LX

5.t0es
¯
Member # 5864

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 5.t0es  Ford pictures for 5.t0es    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
new vs used also plays a part in the rate.
adower
¯
Member # 5955

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for adower  Ford pictures for adower    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by venomous99:
crazy interest rates being thrown out here but i guess u gotta go w/ what is available to u based on your credit history. if you're getting quoted 7% obviously there is a good reason why you're getting a shiet rate .

financing is fine and yes even ppl w/ the money to front do it all the time..and there is nothing wrong w/ it as long as you put in some thought on whats the best course of action for your situation.

most often credit unions give you the best rates compared the big name banks. i was recently preapproved through premierone cu at 1.7% for a used car up to $50k for up to a 6 year term based on highest tier credit. also try penfed.org which usually has some damn good rates. good luck

The rate is being based off year of the car most likely.

[ 2015-06-04, 12:21 PM: Message edited by: adower ]

--------------------
98 Cobra
Griggs
S Trim
HRE

venomous99
¯
Member # 1917

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for venomous99  Ford pictures for venomous99    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by adower:
quote:
Originally posted by venomous99:

The rate is being based off year of the car most likely.
yeah i think most spots will give u prime rate as long as the car is 6 years or newer. im not sure how they scale the rates for cars older than that but it does make sense that rates may be higher.

my recommendation to the original poster is to hit up grandma or pops for some cash and pay em back over time. LOL...or u can just stack paper and buy the car outright. jp
the challenges we face as car enthusiasts w/ limited cash flow.

--------------------
MKII Q7
89LX

Page: 1  2   
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com