Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » General Talk   » smog/transfer question

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: smog/transfer question
5.t0es
¯
Member # 5864

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 5.t0es  Ford pictures for 5.t0es    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
My question is, If i buy a car in which the seller smogged on 1-1-15, and I decide to sale on 3-30-15 is the smog from him still good for my transfer to the new owner because its within 90 days? or will I need to smog regardless because its a new transfer? Just looking to do it correctly to save the buyer any hassle. Thanks.
LXjames
¯
Member # 10791

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for LXjames  Ford pictures for LXjames    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
If you haven't already put it in your name you can bypass your whole ownership correct? But IIRC any transfer besides "gifting"? Requires a smog so idk

--------------------
On Point Motorsport prez.
King Lx

Posts: 4761 | From: Pittsburg CA | Registered: Mar 2011  |  :
5.t0es
¯
Member # 5864

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 5.t0es  Ford pictures for 5.t0es    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
its in my name, title is in hand, smog cert in hand from old owner on 1-1-15
Built88LX
¯
Member # 10758

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Built88LX  Ford pictures for Built88LX    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Technically you will have to do it again because the seller is always responsible for smogging the car before the sale takes place unless the buyer agrees to buy it as-is
Posts: 2390 | From: $acramento | Registered: Mar 2011  |  :
9cobrasvt8
¯
Member # 11078

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 9cobrasvt8  Ford pictures for 9cobrasvt8    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Ive done it a few times and never had an issue

--------------------
2013 Grabber blue coyote
1996 cobra
1996 gt h/c/i and gears
1998 cobra vert
1998 gt h/c/i
1997 gt blown

Posts: 1519 | From: under the hood | Registered: Jul 2011  |  :
Rio1999GT
¯
Member # 9231

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rio1999GT  Ford pictures for Rio1999GT    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Smog has to be within 3 months of sale. So you'd have to get a re-smog.
wilit
Mustang Messiah
Member # 3367

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for wilit  Ford pictures for wilit  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by Rio1999GT:
Smog has to be within 3 months of sale. So you'd have to get a re-smog.

Yep. You have 90 days otherwise you need a new smog.

--------------------
"If a man hasn't found something worth dying for, he isn't fit to live." - Martin Luther King Jr.

Posts: 4793 | From: 37.78514° North 122.40100° West | Registered: Oct 2003  |  :
hurting your feelings
¯
Member # 13641

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for hurting your feelings  Ford pictures for hurting your feelings    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
smog inspection is only good for 90 days when being sold privately an 120 when being sold by a dealer.
Posts: 1830 | From: In front of the bank with a 45 an a ski mask | Registered: Jun 2014  |  :
5.t0es
¯
Member # 5864

quote:
Originally posted by hurting your feelings:
smog inspection is only good for 90 days when being sold privately an 120 when being sold by a dealer.

just checked, the smog was done 68 days ago, from the old owner when i bought it, can i use that for my transfer when i sell because its within 90 days?
9cobrasvt8
¯
Member # 11078

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 9cobrasvt8  Ford pictures for 9cobrasvt8    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by 5.t0es:
quote:

just checked, the smog was done 68 days ago, from the old owner when i bought it, can i use that for my transfer when i sell because its within 90 days?
Yes it is still good

--------------------
2013 Grabber blue coyote
1996 cobra
1996 gt h/c/i and gears
1998 cobra vert
1998 gt h/c/i
1997 gt blown

5.t0es
¯
Member # 5864

quote:
Originally posted by 9cobrasvt8:
quote:
quote:

Yes it is still good
thank you
Infamous5.0
CAFords OG
Member # 1745

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Infamous5.0  Ford pictures for Infamous5.0    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
As long as you have the smog paper and its within 90 days, you can transfer ownership as many times as you'd like.

--------------------
To be or not to be

exchp6400
¯
Member # 4803

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for exchp6400  Ford pictures for exchp6400    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:

A smog is valid for 2 years if the vehicle is in dealer inventory.

--------------------
87 Buick Turbo T | 90 GT | 93 Typhoon

Gnari-Garage
CAFords OG
Member # 3164

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gnari-Garage  Ford pictures for Gnari-Garage    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by Built88LX:
Technically you will have to do it again because the seller is always responsible for smogging the car before the sale takes place unless the buyer agrees to buy it as-is

Since you already used to register it with that smog, you have to re smog the car.

--------------------
2017 McLaren 570GT
2019 Audi S5
2017 Tundra 7" Lift, 37" Tires

Posts: 4017 | From: 916-sacramento | Registered: Aug 2003  |  :
5.t0es
¯
Member # 5864

quote:
Originally posted by Z06-FTMFW:
quote:

Since you already used to register it with that smog, you have to re smog the car.
are you sure? I am now getting conflicting answers.
Gnari-Garage
CAFords OG
Member # 3164

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gnari-Garage  Ford pictures for Gnari-Garage    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
quote:
quote:

I worked for a car lot for many years and We had people that buy and trade cars in many times. Each time a car changed owner ship it needs smog, regardless of time.... This is from my experience, I also use to sell lots of cars on my own. If you never registered it, than you could have transferred it using the original smog.

Again this is from my knowledge, I could be wrong?? I just tried calling DMV, but the telephone techs are not available, Sorry

--------------------
2017 McLaren 570GT
2019 Audi S5
2017 Tundra 7" Lift, 37" Tires

Posts: 4017 | From: 916-sacramento | Registered: Aug 2003  |  :
9cobrasvt8
¯
Member # 11078

quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:

I worked for a car lot for many years and We had people that buy and trade cars in many times. Each time a car changed owner ship it needs smog, regardless of time.... This is from my experience, I also use to sell lots of cars on my own. If you never registered it, than you could have transferred it using the original smog.

Again this is from my knowledge, I could be wrong?? I just tried calling DMV, but the telephone techs are not available, Sorry

I personally have used one smog multiple times within the 90 day period recently

--------------------
2013 Grabber blue coyote
1996 cobra
1996 gt h/c/i and gears
1998 cobra vert
1998 gt h/c/i
1997 gt blown

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com