Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » General Talk   » State Referee Citation

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: State Referee Citation
GT510
¯
Member # 9172

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for GT510  Ford pictures for GT510    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I was recently cited from a CHP Officer for violation code 27156 (b) Air pollution device required. My 1989 mustang is modded and will not pass smog at a state referee station. What are my options to go about getting my car cleared and back on the road again. Thanks

--------------------
Nothing but dust in the wind!

1996 GT
I'm Joe Yates
Member # 4992

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 1996 GT  Ford pictures for 1996 GT    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Pay the fine

--------------------
http://i.magaimg.net/img/257w.png

9cobra7
¯
Member # 2812

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 9cobra7  Ford pictures for 9cobra7    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Pay the fine is my opinion too. This has nothing to do with air pollution or anything like that, it's about the money.

They take money away from all angles. f you pay the fine they take the money and can do it again later or you "fix" the car and spend your money that way. Or you sell the car (lose money) and then buy something else. All ways, you lose money....you see.

[ 2015-01-15, 11:45 AM: Message edited by: 9cobra7 ]

--------------------
If you can't walk and chew gum at the same time, don't walk.

GT510
¯
Member # 9172

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for GT510  Ford pictures for GT510    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
If I pay the fine. Does that mean I don't have to get the car certification at the referee station?

--------------------

GT510
¯
Member # 9172

I called and spoke with a representative of the bureau of auntie repair. And they said there are to different matters. 1st the vehicle is not in compliance requirement due to illegal requirements. And must be taken to ref station. And the 2nd matter is the fine towards the driver for driving the vehicle at the time officer cited me the ticket.
86- 50
TEAM PLATINUM
Member # 4723

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 86- 50  Ford pictures for 86- 50    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
You can just pay the fine, the fine is less if you get it fixed, but if not just pay the fine. Or go stand in front of a judge and tell him you sold the car and he'll probably reduce it.

--------------------
My baby:88gt 347 stroker

RIP MATT, Gone but never forgotten

TEAM PLATINUM

GT510
¯
Member # 9172

If I pay the fine or sell the vehicle will it bel legal to drive on the road again without having to get it state red? Smog law states if you sell to a family member you don't have to get it smogged.

--------------------

86- 50
TEAM PLATINUM
Member # 4723

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 86- 50  Ford pictures for 86- 50    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Yes, you'll be able to drive it. And you dont really have to sell, just write up a bill of sale and bring it to court with you, and tell the judge you sold it and heres the copy of the bill of sale, then when you walk out rip up the bill of sale and move on with your car in your name.

--------------------
My baby:88gt 347 stroker

RIP MATT, Gone but never forgotten

TEAM PLATINUM

GT510
¯
Member # 9172

When I go to walk in traffic court what would I plead on my citation? Do I have a better chance of pleading not guilty and hope the officer does no show up and getting it dissmissed.

--------------------

1996 GT
I'm Joe Yates
Member # 4992

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 1996 GT  Ford pictures for 1996 GT    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
no contest, nobody pleads guilty ever
351w
¯
Member # 11875

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 351w  Ford pictures for 351w    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Longtube headers FTW!
Sinister Mustang
¯
Member # 13889

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sinister Mustang  Ford pictures for Sinister Mustang    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Pay the fine, unfortunately. Unless the pollution device you're missing is a cat? Just swap the H pipe back on and call it good.

what'd he site you for? missing the smog pump or...?

--------------------
Message me for 1979-2015 Mustang Parts!

www.SinisterMustang.com

Posts: 255 | From: Roseville,CA | Registered: Dec 2014  |  :
GT510
¯
Member # 9172

Honestly the Officer didn't even look under the car. He proably don't even know what a smog pump looks like. He didn't really spend to much time looking at the motor. I don't have cats nor the pump. I think he wanted to give me a hard time for no reason. My registration and sticker and Isurance were up to date.

--------------------

Sinister Mustang
¯
Member # 13889

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sinister Mustang  Ford pictures for Sinister Mustang    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by GT510:
Honestly the Officer didn't even look under the car. He proably don't even know what a smog pump looks like. He didn't really spend to much time looking at the motor. I don't have cats nor the pump. I think he wanted to give me a hard time for no reason. My registration and sticker and Isurance were up to date.

If your car is perfectly fine, per say. What did he site you for? What's your ticket say? he cant just say "missing smog random smog part" just like he cant say "you were speeding" without putting the said proclaimed speed.

--------------------
Message me for 1979-2015 Mustang Parts!

www.SinisterMustang.com

Posts: 255 | From: Roseville,CA | Registered: Dec 2014  |  :
92_5.0
¯
Member # 7624

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 92_5.0  Ford pictures for 92_5.0    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Just pay it and move on..or put the car back to stock (smog legal) and take it to the ref..whatever is cheaper/easier. It happened to me a few years back. I just payed it. It was the better choice in my situation. The CHP was gearhead and knew exactly what was on my car (and what wasn't). He also took pictures of EVERYTHING..Shortly after that I decided to make it a track only car...not worth the risk of getting pulled over again IMO..

--------------------
Infineon/Sears point? same difference!
11.8 @ 115 mph @ Sac Raceway
411 rwhp 402 trq (old set up)
540 rwhp 517 rwtrq (new set up)
ET's to come

97cobra209
¯
Member # 11376

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 97cobra209  Ford pictures for 97cobra209    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I got one about 2 years ago chp didn't check my car but got me for no cats I fixed it took it in still ended up paying over $200 not sure what the fine is but if it's too big of a hassle for you to put it back to stock then just pay the fine and you'll be fine as long as you don't get pulled over by the same officer!

--------------------
2011 GT/CS 5.0

GT510
¯
Member # 9172

The citation fine is $500. Not sure if I should pay or fight the ticket and get it dismissed if he doesn't show.

--------------------

5.0 LsX
¯
Member # 10017

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 5.0 LsX  Ford pictures for 5.0 LsX    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
don't think you can fight it. the citation says the officer does not know what they are looking at and are leaving it up to the ref to determine if the vehicle is smog compliant.
also the way the law is written leaves it open to get pulled over for no reason known to the officer other than thinking the vehicle is modified in any way.
the ticket does not go on record, you can pay the fine and forget about it. you may get lucky with a price reduction if you go to court

--------------------
91' Notch

1996 GT
I'm Joe Yates
Member # 4992

Pay the fine already. Your shits not smog legal, everybody knows that. Move on and keep doing what it do

--------------------
http://i.magaimg.net/img/257w.png

gq916
¯
Member # 8540

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for gq916  Ford pictures for gq916    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I got a ticket for modified exhaust on my 96 cobra about 3 years ago. Either you can pay the fine or put it back to stock and take it to a state smog referee. I paid the fine. It was around $200.

--------------------
Zinc Yellow 2003 Mach1
Maximum Motorsport Suspension

White 1996 Cobra-Sold 3/2013
Tuned by ForceFed
AED Dyno 308rwhp 283rwtq SAE

Posts: 306 | From: sacramento | Registered: Jul 2008  |  :
GT510
¯
Member # 9172

I'm planning on going to walk in traffic court and pleading no contest. Do you think the judge will reduce my $500 ticket. And could that make things an worst?

--------------------

92_5.0
¯
Member # 7624

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 92_5.0  Ford pictures for 92_5.0    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
anything could happen when facing the judge..all depends on his/her mood that day. They could have sympathy for you or make an example out of you.

--------------------
ET's to come

92_5.0
¯
Member # 7624

If you haveany recent prior traffic violations..I wouldn't bother honestly.

--------------------
ET's to come

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com