Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » General Talk   » Project Coyote Notch (Page 1)

- Email this post to someone!   Page: 1  2  3  4  ...  17  18  19   
Author Topic: Project Coyote Notch
RRRCobraSC281
¯
Member # 7086

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for RRRCobraSC281  Ford pictures for RRRCobraSC281    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
3 ½ years ago my back was messed up from an accident which made me think that my days of wrenching was over and it was time to hang it up. Well April this year I got my second wind when Casey sent me an e-mail saying that my name was going to be on a feature article in June issues MM&FF. I’ve had a few cars that have made it on MM&FF but this was the first time my name was actually given credit for the work that was done.

Originally the plan was to do a ’93 Cobra clone with a Termi swap. How cool would that be to have done a Mach 1 rendition in a notchback and to do a ’93 Terminator? Been there, done that, should be a quick swap. Done in 3 months tops. Well looking for available 1993 Mustang GTs or LX proved to be very difficult, at least something worthy of a transplant. After being stranded by my wife in the middle of Stockton with $3500 cash in my pocket, I got to do some real soul searching. Craigslist had a couple 4 banger coupes for sale and thought I’d give it a try again and open up to do another notch. A couple days later I picked up my Notch, paid the back fee and started disassembling the car. I also started searching for a terminator.

May 2014- Picked up my 1990 4 banger notch
 -
 -

June 2014- I thought with the introductory of the GT500 and the 420hp GTs that the price of the terminators would simmer down from what they were 4 years ago. Boy was I wrong. It really didn’t make any sense. 2 months had gone by and countless times being out bid at the last minute. I even sold my Birel Racing shifter kart to free up more money so I could bid with the big dogs. Then a talk with Lee (racerX), steered me in a direction that I was on the fence before about, but he convinced me that the money is in a coyote swap. I think he meant ”my money is going into” a coyote swap. Plus reading up on Jason Hall’s FoxGT500, I felt I have enough information to commit to a Jason Hall type Coyote swap, but mine will be CA smog legal.

July 2014- My bid for a 2013 Mustang GT won and was delivered. The car initially ran like crap. The car was hit in the rear, so not sure why it was running as rough as it did. After a week of trouble shooting, I finally decided to get a hand held tuner mainly do read codes. While waiting on delivery of the tuner I thought I should start labeling all the wire harnesses. This is were I found a wire connector with no home. Oh looky here, there's a sensor missing. Went to the local Ford dealership and picked up a sensor. Installed it and the harness and vaaaaarrrrrroooommm! Took a trip around the sub-division. Everything checked out fine. Now I'm confident that everything truely is working fine and the engine and driveline works as it should. The next day my tuner came in. It still in the box it came in. Haven't opened it yet.

August 2014- started removing the interior and engine/tranny/driveline. Wow didn't realize how huge the elecric assist steering rack was. My plan was to incorporate it into the Sn95 K-memeber.
 -
 -

September 2014- Trying to make this steering rack fit is much like trying fit a cube into a round hole. Lets just say I test fitted the k-member 4 times before it was perfect.
This is a picture after my 2nd test fit.
 -

In this picture you'll see that I've modified the oil pan for clearance and what you don't see is that I've also bent the oil pick up tube to allow for that clearance.
 -

As of now I will put the actual dates of my progress.

9/23/2014- Started clearing out the engine compartment so I have better access to the firewall and will allow me to see better what I'm up against as far as how much of the firewall need to be transplanted and where to make my cuts to keep things dimesionally correct.
 -

[ 2014-09-24, 01:02 AM: Message edited by: RRRCobraSC281 ]

--------------------
Project 93GT500 has started
90 Coyote Coupe (sold)
88 Mach 1 Coupe MM&FF 6/14 (sold)
65 FFR Cobra (sold)

Posts: 1746 | From: Fremont, CA | Registered: Sep 2006  |  :
SnakeForce
¯
Member # 9313

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for SnakeForce  Ford pictures for SnakeForce    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Wow Robert,that's a nice project,can't wait to see it done

--------------------
03 tangelo Snake
03 f150 harley Davidson

Black 02 SS
¯
Member # 5939

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Black 02 SS  Ford pictures for Black 02 SS    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Nice! Seems like quite an undertaking but by the sounds of your other projects I'm guessing it will be a top notch job when its done (no pun intended, HA!).

I have to ask, what do you mean exactly by "left stranded by the wife in Stockton with $3500?" Haha.

--------------------
Schwinn 18speed

Blow_U_In_Reverse
¯
Member # 12298

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Blow_U_In_Reverse  Ford pictures for Blow_U_In_Reverse    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
dam thats a bad ass project bro!! Wish i could take on something like that.. cant wait to see how it turns out!!

--------------------
"Real Men Get BLOWN"
-1993 Cobra "COBRUUH"
-1984 T-Top Notchback
#KurganTuned

Posts: 2688 | From: FiJi-925-650 | Registered: Aug 2012  |  :
4 CAM FOX
¯
Member # 11891

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 4 CAM FOX  Ford pictures for 4 CAM FOX    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Awesome build. I'm looking forward to the updates.

--------------------
"The clutch is on the left. Gas on the right."
"What's this one in the middle?"
"It's for pussies."

70stang351w
¯
Member # 9948

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 70stang351w  Ford pictures for 70stang351w    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by Black 02 SS:
Nice! Seems like quite an undertaking but by the sounds of your other projects I'm guessing it will be a top notch job when its done (no pun intended, HA!).

I have to ask, what do you mean exactly by "left stranded by the wife in Stockton with $3500?" Haha.

LoL +1

--------------------
1996 GT VERT /32v MOD - SOLD
1970 Mustang Coupe M-Code 351w

Vndcatr
CAFords OG
Member # 2343

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Vndcatr  Ford pictures for Vndcatr    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Thats because lee dont like 4.6's lol.. [Big Grin]

--------------------
Built 01 cobra
400 rwhp
11.7@117mph , 1.62 60ft

Posts: 1066 | From: Sacramento,Ca | Registered: Jan 2003  |  :
i
¯
Member # 12534

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for i  Ford pictures for i    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by Vndcatr:
Thats because lee dont like 4.6's lol.. [Big Grin]

+1 except the termi's I love them

--------------------
86 Caged Coupe 5.0
91 Salvaged Coupe

Posts: 1901 | From: Sacramento | Registered: Nov 2012  |  :
RRRCobraSC281
¯
Member # 7086

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for RRRCobraSC281  Ford pictures for RRRCobraSC281    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
It was a school night and this dude in Stockton finally replied to my offer to show me his car. The price was fine and the car looked clean. So my wife had just enough time to take me there and head back to pick up the kids. We waited at the guys house and the car drove up. Sound nice and looked just like the pictures. So I told my wife it's good. So she left. After looking over the "clean title" car, I found issues that would say it should be something other than "clean title". I believe the guy honestly didn't know. Any how, he had to leave for work so he dropped me off at the truck stop on 99. That Burger King don't belive in air conditioning. It was hot in there. Just glad they didn't charge for refills. So after picking up the kids at 2:30pm and then dropping them off at her cousin's house, (she probably rambling about why I waste time and money working on old cars, maybe she should leave me there to teach me a lesson) she heads back through 680 and 580 in that afternoon traffic. Picked my ass up around 5:00pm. I'm glad I don't have to ccommute through that everyday.

[ 2014-09-23, 11:16 PM: Message edited by: RRRCobraSC281 ]

--------------------
90 Coyote Coupe (sold)
65 FFR Cobra (sold)

ZincYellow 281
¯
Member # 9865

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for ZincYellow 281  Ford pictures for ZincYellow 281    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Hey Robert, I sent you a text message Saturday at 9am will work.

When you talked about your coyote project I imaged it would already be bad ass considering you built a cool mach1 foxbody.

[ 2014-09-24, 01:20 AM: Message edited by: ZincYellow 281 ]

Stang66
¯
Member # 10504

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Stang66  Ford pictures for Stang66    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
So that's what you ended up buying, it's going to be one badass car! [patriot]

--------------------
1966 Ford Mustang
1990 Notchback
1975 Pontiac Trans Am 400ci

RRRCobraSC281
¯
Member # 7086

Plans are in the next couple weeks to have the 2013 fire wall and floor detached from the frame rails and call my buddy to hall this carcase to the scrap yard. Tired of working in such tight spaces. That irritates my back more than anything else.

--------------------
90 Coyote Coupe (sold)
65 FFR Cobra (sold)

SAMACH1
¯
Member # 7042

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for SAMACH1  Ford pictures for SAMACH1    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Cant wait to see the finished product.... I remember meeting you back when you were just finishing up the last car. Glad to see youre going to be back in a 4V fox [patriot] [patriot] [patriot] [patriot]

--------------------
- STREET ACTIONS CC -
Advanced Auto Built
Bob Kurgan Tuned

Stang66
¯
Member # 10504

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Stang66  Ford pictures for Stang66    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
is your color choice still the same?

--------------------
1966 Ford Mustang
1990 Notchback
1975 Pontiac Trans Am 400ci

Notch1320
Man Pedal
Member # 2647

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Notch1320  Ford pictures for Notch1320    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Cool Project!

Did you consider using an aftermarket K member?

May have saved you a bunch of fab work and weight.

Posts: 2349 | From: Yuba City, CA | Registered: Mar 2003  |  :
racsirx
CAFords OG
Member # 1710

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for racsirx  Ford pictures for racsirx    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Lol, so does this mean if you don't like the finished project that I will be blamed?

--------------------
88 Saleen #564
88 GT 331 NOVI2000
88 Coupe TURBO 9.75@142
95 Cobra R #75-SOLD
06 F250
13 BMW AH3
17 GT350 #5556
GOD'S NOT DEAD

Posts: 20750 | From: Concord & Pittsburg, CA | Registered: Aug 2002  |  :
RRRCobraSC281
¯
Member # 7086

quote:
Originally posted by racsirx:
Lol, so does this mean if you don't like the finished project that I will be blamed?

Lee, I'm not like that. I've been thinking of doing this swap maybe in a year or 2. You just made my mind up earlier.

I did buy a upr k member. But by the time I got it, I was done with this one. My concern is on how much I had to cut away on the stock K member. There would not be much left of the tubular k member. I'd have to make a jig and make my cuts and welds in it to keep everything dimensionally correct. At work I just can't leave a piece like that out. There are people who would have a shit fit know I was working on a personal project. But the work on the stock K member has me better prepared to make the necessary modifications.

So far, I'm leaning towards Got to have it Green. But grabber blue, Oxford white, and Safety green is in the mix. Rims will be semi gloss 18" RTRs, Red Brembo up front, 95 cobra R/heat extractor hood 03-04 cobra IRS, and ABS/traction control. Wipers will be deleted.

[ 2014-09-24, 09:15 AM: Message edited by: RRRCobraSC281 ]

--------------------
90 Coyote Coupe (sold)
65 FFR Cobra (sold)

RRRCobraSC281
¯
Member # 7086

9/24/2014- Well today I've exposed more of the firewall, and started to cut some of the spot welds on the frame rails, but find myself having to be careful around the fuel and brake lines. Been hesitant to remove these, because it almost mean that the rear end will need to be dropped and space is at a premium. I guess I just gotta do, what I gotta do.

Photos will be back, just need to reduce the size

[ 2014-09-25, 01:11 AM: Message edited by: RRRCobraSC281 ]

--------------------
90 Coyote Coupe (sold)
65 FFR Cobra (sold)

rollininmy50
¯
Member # 9067

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for rollininmy50  Ford pictures for rollininmy50    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Why the firewall swap? Is it worth it? If so I'd like to know your source. I want to do the same swap, but without assisted steering. Seems like to much weight being added back to the fox. My goal is to find out if someone has made a plug n play harness for the dash.
RRRCobraSC281
¯
Member # 7086

Newer style seats require the transfer of the seat cross supports.

Newer tranny and console require the transfer of the trans tunnel.

Newer ac/heater unit have inlet and outlets in different location. Drive by wire has different mount locations.
Newer steering columns have bearing hubs at the firewall to minimize steering shaft wobble.

Bottom line is that it's really up to the builder how far you want to go with your build. I don't plan on doing another one of these builds ever again. This is why I choose to do a complete swap. I know everything worked before I started disassembling the car. And when comes together I should expect the same.

There are many coyote swapped fox bodies out there. Some successful, some not. Jason Hall built a modular fox using the previous generation GT500. 2007-10... not really sure. Those cars didn't have the electric assist steering rack. He went tubular k member and I believe long tube headers.

As far as where I get my sources, I have to say Jason Hall was the only build thread that I've seen that was somewhat helpfull but still missing a lot of detail. I know it can be done and at the end what I want it to look like.

--------------------
90 Coyote Coupe (sold)
65 FFR Cobra (sold)

*BlownMach1*- TRMYN8R
¯
Member # 5400

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for *BlownMach1*- TRMYN8R  Ford pictures for *BlownMach1*- TRMYN8R  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Damn Robert. When you told me that you were doing a coyote swap. I figured you would fit the dash and interior but when you told me about the steering! Wow I couldn't believe it. I will text you sometime soon, I have a question anyhow. And when this is done, let me know when you are ready to sell. Lol and I'll take it in "GHIG"

--------------------
88 notch- MM&FF June 2014 feature car
93 cobra #1879
90 hatch "Wifey's"
14 F150
89 mastercraft- wake tower with some sound

Team True Forged!!!

AR_Stang
351W
Member # 10223

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for AR_Stang  Ford pictures for AR_Stang    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Op- what are you using for wiring? Going with the Ford pack wiring harness?

--------------------
-American Revolution-

Wht86drop
¯
Member # 12104

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Wht86drop  Ford pictures for Wht86drop    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I think he is using the original wiring because he did mention that he had to label every single plug he took off. I'm thinking it's a plug n play deal with this one

--------------------
Jalapeña Red 86 GT Vert
Yellow 72 Chevelle
Rio Red 97 Cobra

High-Output Generations CC

Posts: 1669 | From: East Palo Alto, Fiji Islands | Registered: Jun 2012  |  :
RRRCobraSC281
¯
Member # 7086

quote:
Originally posted by AR_Stang:
Op- what are you using for wiring? Going with the Ford pack wiring harness?

Just as he said, "plug & play".

--------------------
90 Coyote Coupe (sold)
65 FFR Cobra (sold)

RRRCobraSC281
¯
Member # 7086

Seems like forever since I last worked on the project. For the past month and a half I've been doing some crazy hours at work. We're talking 11-14 hour day 6-7 days a week, plus trying to work on this project. Yes, I'm still married. Well last Monday it started to wear on me and by Wednesday I caught the flu bug that damn near put me out. Past few days I've been sleeping in. Man that felt good. Caught my second wind and worked on the project again.
Started to cut out important paneling that I'm planning to transfer to the FOX, and removed the roof since it and the floor were the only straight pieces on the car. Then I get a call from a buddy and need the rockers to use as a jig to manufacture some side pipes. So then I decided to start chopping in manageable sizes and loaded it up in my mobile storage.

I'm halfway done removing the passenger side frame rail. This is were I'm at for now. Once the frame rails are removed then it cutting the firewall and then the floors all to come out as one piece.
 -
 -

[ 2014-10-06, 11:04 PM: Message edited by: RRRCobraSC281 ]

--------------------
90 Coyote Coupe (sold)
65 FFR Cobra (sold)

Page: 1  2  3  4  ...  17  18  19   
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com