Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » General Talk   » HELP on HCI Swap!!! how must boost can a stock 302 withstand?.. (Page 1)

- Email this post to someone!   Page: 1  2   
Author Topic: HELP on HCI Swap!!! how must boost can a stock 302 withstand?..
KARATExxCHUCK
¯
Member # 12851

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for KARATExxCHUCK  Ford pictures for KARATExxCHUCK    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I have been thinking about this time and time again. I WANT TO HCI on my fox. At the moment times are rough [Frown]

I want to rebuild the motor, but I'm going with a budget build.

I was thinking ported GT-40 heads with upgraded springs and 1.7 roller rockers (Not sure on brand), TF stage one cam, gear drive, and possibly a holley intake if i can find one for a reasonable price.

What do you guys think? I want the TF stage one cam because I love the loping sound, but also want performance out of it. A gentlemen told me a while back that i should stay away from letter cams like E and F.

Please throw out your opinions....

Charles [patriot]

[ 2014-04-09, 02:02 PM: Message edited by: KARATExxCHUCK ]

--------------------
**Sometimes you must kill the snake to walk the path!!
**Message me for Powder Coating and Sand blasting!!!:)

Pure Stang
¯
Member # 7251

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Pure Stang  Ford pictures for Pure Stang    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
By the time you port and upgrade your springs your in aluminum heads territory and they will be better than ported gt40's. some trick flows or afr's, even edelbrocks. Good choice on intake.... Why gear drive? There's a rason why no one uses that on foxes, but don't remember the reason.

--------------------
HEART BREAKER

R.I.P Willie Guzman (5ltrsvt) you will be missed brother.
04/24/87 - 11/23/2012

90 lx 347 RIP
86 gt
89 lx- next project

moeofit32
¯
Member # 10393

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for moeofit32  Ford pictures for moeofit32    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Be patient and spend the money..its worth it....good set of aluminum heads pop up cheap every now and again [patriot]

--------------------
95 stroked and blown cobra

Posts: 2387 | From: antioch ca | Registered: Oct 2010  |  :
Greasy
¯
Member # 5258

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Greasy  Ford pictures for Greasy    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Please for the love of god do not run gear drive.

--------------------
'93 Cobra-Coyote Powered
'03 DSG Cobra
'13 Dodge Cummins
'14 Rubicon X

Posts: 3272 | From: North Dallas | Registered: Jan 2005  |  :
Built88LX
¯
Member # 10758

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Built88LX  Ford pictures for Built88LX    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by Greasy:

What are some pros and cons of using gear drive?
Posts: 2390 | From: $acramento | Registered: Mar 2011  |  :
Greasy
¯
Member # 5258

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Greasy  Ford pictures for Greasy    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by Built88LX:
quote:

Don't know, don't care, I've never had issues running timing chains. Plus gear drive is Chevy shit.

--------------------
'93 Cobra-Coyote Powered
'03 DSG Cobra
'13 Dodge Cummins
'14 Rubicon X

Posts: 3272 | From: North Dallas | Registered: Jan 2005  |  :
TMA Turbo Donald
¯
Member # 11926

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for TMA Turbo Donald  Ford pictures for TMA Turbo Donald    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by Built88LX:
quote:

I had a "noisy" gear drive on a Chevy. The gear drive sound got old real quick.
redvenom
¯
Member # 12651

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for redvenom  Ford pictures for redvenom    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by KARATExxCHUCK:
I have been thinking about this time and time again. I WANT TO HCI on my fox. At the moment times are rough [Frown]

I want to rebuild the motor, but I'm going with a budget build.

I was thinking ported GT-40 heads with upgraded springs and 1.7 roller rockers (Not sure on brand), TF stage one cam, gear drive, and possibly a holley intake if i can find one for a reasonable price.

What do you guys think? I want the TF stage one cam because I love the loping sound, but also want performance out of it. A gentlemen told me a while back that i should stay away from letter cams like E and F.

Please throw out your opinions....

Charles [patriot]

That's a good set up I doing somthing similar myself
Ported Gt40 heads with 1.6 or 1.7 (not sure yet)
E303 cam
Still debating on intake
Just do the math as far as the heads if you are gonna spend more than 600-650 on them I rather wait

[ 2014-04-06, 10:31 AM: Message edited by: red5o ]

--------------------
1990 Gt
Some what stock
1993 GT vert-(stolen)

Camara90
1%
Member # 134

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Camara90  Ford pictures for Camara90  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Dont do a gear drive, it will rob power over a timing chain and be annoying as fuck. When I was young and dumb I had one on my first 347. Just get a good timing chain.

--------------------
92GT,stock short block,9:1 TFS 170's,perf rpm,custom cam,1 5/8 shorties,C4 trans.
std. 356hp, 350tq
11.85@111.9mph on motor.

redvenom
¯
Member # 12651

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for redvenom  Ford pictures for redvenom    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I was going with the Alex spring kit which I was told is realy good for a budget build
http://www.alexsparts.com/sb-ford-gt40-drop-in-valve-springs-kit-hyd-roller-580-lift/
OR
http://www.alexsparts.com/dual-valve-spring-kit-fe-ford-w-moderate-to-large-perormance-cams/

It's only like 20 bucks more to up grade them

[ 2014-04-06, 10:43 AM: Message edited by: red5o ]

--------------------
1990 Gt
Some what stock
1993 GT vert-(stolen)

2BlueGeeTees
¯
Member # 4702

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 2BlueGeeTees  Ford pictures for 2BlueGeeTees    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I will tell you this from experience. The balance between budget and performance is not satisfying at all. Let me explain, and I'm sure other members will agree from their young and dumb days. You will be unhappy either way. 1. You will love the performance but blow your budget to shreds. 2. Stay within your budget and not see the gains you want. I'm speaking here particularly about H/C/I. Because lord knows you can get a deal on a power adder and some gears and fly in a fox. This is purely my opinion but if your goal is a nice heads cam and intake fox with good power numbers and good drivability. Save your $$$ and do it right. Don't buy parts that you will soon pull off and sell for less money to fund the right part. Rebuild your short block and bump your compression up a little. Aluminum heads are going to be your ticket. Do your research. Are you trying to stay emissions legal? Matching your components will pay dividends. Adding cubic inches is always worth something. In the end you do what makes you happy. Just wanted you to have some food for thought from those who stood in your shoes years ago.

PS. Ditch the gear drive idea. Like previously stated robs power, they wear excessively and what an annoying sound

Posts: 2316 | From: Vacaville | Registered: Jul 2004  |  :
racsirx
CAFords OG
Member # 1710

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for racsirx  Ford pictures for racsirx    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
If you aren't worried about smog then leave the motor stock and put a good turbo kit on it and it would make more power around the same price

--------------------
88 Saleen #564
88 GT 331 NOVI2000
88 Coupe TURBO 9.75@142
95 Cobra R #75-SOLD
06 F250
13 BMW AH3
17 GT350 #5556
GOD'S NOT DEAD

Posts: 20750 | From: Concord & Pittsburg, CA | Registered: Aug 2002  |  :
Saleen 00-768
¯
Member # 9379

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Saleen 00-768  Ford pictures for Saleen 00-768    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
gear drive is gay as fuck. My neighbor up the street has it on his stingray and it sounds like shit. Very loud and not cool in any way. You can always tell when a car is gear driven.

--------------------
'00 Saleen SC #768
'90 GT
'90 California Edition (sold)
'87 Saleen #264 (sold)

Saleen 00-768
¯
Member # 9379

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Saleen 00-768  Ford pictures for Saleen 00-768    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I'd recommend TF170s and a custom cam with atleast a gt40 intake and port the lower. [patriot]

FYI gt40 heads are a waste of your money, time, and effort.

[ 2014-04-06, 03:41 PM: Message edited by: Saleen 00-0768 ]

--------------------
'00 Saleen SC #768
'90 GT
'90 California Edition (sold)
'87 Saleen #264 (sold)

ed650
¯
Member # 9897

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for ed650  Ford pictures for ed650    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Holley intake will be to big for 302 especially those heads..its a mismatched combo..those heads and cam and for low end power while the intake is for top end power..
Get trick flow street heat, edelbrock rpm or ported explorer. .
Im about to run a t moss ported explorer with afr 165 heads and a comp cam xe270hr. My combo will pull hard all the way to 6000rpm

--------------------
410w Hatch
306Ci Coupe

Posts: 1744 | From: menlo park | Registered: Apr 2010  |  :
CobramanPhil
¯
Member # 2170

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for CobramanPhil  Ford pictures for CobramanPhil    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
First question..how is the compression going on the motor? If everything is within acceptable levels then why don't you just nitrous the thing? Instant gratification..just make sure your timing and fuel are in check and you won't have to worry about the hci stuff until you save enough money for a real block for that stuff to go on...

[ 2014-04-06, 09:23 PM: Message edited by: CobramanPhil ]

Posts: 1016 | From: California, Bay Area | Registered: Dec 2002  |  :
*BlownMach1*- TRMYN8R
¯
Member # 5400

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for *BlownMach1*- TRMYN8R  Ford pictures for *BlownMach1*- TRMYN8R  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Gear drive- Aka white trash supercharger! Lol

Don't put that garbage in your car. It sounds like ass!

--------------------
88 notch- MM&FF June 2014 feature car
93 cobra #1879
90 hatch "Wifey's"
14 F150
89 mastercraft- wake tower with some sound

Team True Forged!!!

warhorse58gt
¯
Member # 7702

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for warhorse58gt  Ford pictures for warhorse58gt  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
All you people bitching about gears drives.

Pros. Won't break, Last forever, Sounds sick (well if you can hear them) I have a noisy set and can't really even hear them over the solid rollers valve lash.

Cons. You can only degree the cam at about 2* at a time. On cold start ups the link bar gear slaps the timing chain cover.

--------------------
WOLFPACK RACING

With guns, we are 'citizens'. Without them, we are 'subjects'.

83gt 354ci sbf 9.40 @ 143
77 cobra 2 171ci 97hp of pure fury!

KARATExxCHUCK
¯
Member # 12851

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for KARATExxCHUCK  Ford pictures for KARATExxCHUCK    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Thank you to all who replied!!!!

It looks like i will end up saving for a nice set of heads and intake. [Big Grin]

AND I WILL NOT BE GETTING A GEAR DRIVE!! lol

Charles [patriot]

--------------------

KARATExxCHUCK
¯
Member # 12851

quote:
Originally posted by racsirx:
If you aren't worried about smog then leave the motor stock and put a good turbo kit on it and it would make more power around the same price

I am worried about smog or i would. Around where i live cops pull you over to check for carb eo numbers on aftermarket parts and if you dont have it they give you a fix it ticket. ALL BECAUSE OF STUPID HONDA LOVERS!!! [Mad]

--------------------

i
¯
Member # 12534

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for i  Ford pictures for i    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Look best setup ever it will smoke ls1 brah [Wink] 302 running on 87, b303 cam , gt40 heads ported with 1.6 roller rockers, cobra intake ported, 90mm bbk throttle with 24 pounds of injectors, 255 bbk fuel pump,bbk shorties unequal,Off ride xpipe, flow master 40s with chrome tail pipes, 20inch cobra's, rattle can the car with black and last but not least have a 5in cowl hood! My dream car

--------------------
86 Caged Coupe 5.0
91 Salvaged Coupe

Posts: 1901 | From: Sacramento | Registered: Nov 2012  |  :
KARATExxCHUCK
¯
Member # 12851

How much boost can a stock 302 motor withstand?

--------------------

Blow_U_In_Reverse
¯
Member # 12298

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Blow_U_In_Reverse  Ford pictures for Blow_U_In_Reverse    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by KARATExxCHUCK:
How much boost can a stock 302 motor withstand?

I was pumping 14psi on a stock motor and it held on fine.. but most say about 8-10.. I kno people daily driving with 10-12 psi with no issues..

--------------------
"Real Men Get BLOWN"
-1993 Cobra "COBRUUH"
-1984 T-Top Notchback
#KurganTuned

Posts: 2688 | From: FiJi-925-650 | Registered: Aug 2012  |  :
ed650
¯
Member # 9897

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for ed650  Ford pictures for ed650    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Theirs a local guy that had a vortech v1 on 11 psi completely stock motor ..no aftermarket intake or tb..he made 320rwhp I believe

--------------------
410w Hatch
306Ci Coupe

Posts: 1744 | From: menlo park | Registered: Apr 2010  |  :
KARATExxCHUCK
¯
Member # 12851

quote:
Originally posted by ed650:
Theirs a local guy that had a vortech v1 on 11 psi completely stock motor ..no aftermarket intake or tb..he made 320rwhp I believe

Fiji and Ed what robs the engine of the power the most? I know the heads play a good role, but does the intake do it as well?

[ 2014-04-09, 04:21 PM: Message edited by: KARATExxCHUCK ]

--------------------

Page: 1  2   
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com