Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » General Talk   » Updates on my 1989 foxbody "Road Race" track car (Page 1)

- Email this post to someone!   Page: 1  2   
Author Topic: Updates on my 1989 foxbody "Road Race" track car
SydeWaySix
CAFords OG
Member # 3596

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for SydeWaySix  Ford pictures for SydeWaySix    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Thought I'd share some updated photos of my 89 road race track car. Many of you have seen pics of it when I first got it in December. Its an ex-NASA American Iron race car, which was later raced in the SCCA American V8 Supercars Series. Since I brought it home it has been hibernating in the garage waiting to get abused! During the downtime/off-season, I decided to clean it up a bit...
When I first brought it home...

-

I decided to clean up the interior because it still had the stock sound dampening crap on the floor boards. Surprisingly, all the insulating material weighed over 20 lbs!

Stripping it all away...

-
 -

Interior stripped down to the metal

-
 -

I was going to leave it as-is after stripping all the sound dampening material out, but I couldn't stand how messy the interior looked after all the scraping and scratching of the floorboards...So I decided to paint it.

I ended up using a gallon of Rustoleum "smoke gray" and brushed it onto the floors, trunk, and rear side panels. I then took the same paint in rattle can form and sprayed the cage. I was surprised at how well it turned out after everything dried.

Painted and ready for reassembly

-
 -
 -
 -

Everything back in place

-
 -
 -
 -

[ 2014-03-02, 09:41 PM: Message edited by: SydeWaySix ]

--------------------
2013 Boss 302 #356. Performance White. Stock.
1965 Fastback GT Restored to stock spec.

SydeWaySix
CAFords OG
Member # 3596

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for SydeWaySix  Ford pictures for SydeWaySix    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Being that I sprayed the interior in the garage and didnt cover the body up (I know, stupid me!), the paint mist ended up getting onto the paint. I wasn't going to let that fly, so I ended up clay barring the whole car and then put a coat of some wax to shine it back up. The body and paint is surprisingly nice for a race car!

Clayed and waxed

-
 -
 -

Finally, courtesy of Tim, aka THRASHED , I was able to get hooked up with a nice assortment of die-cut decals! Thanks Tim!!!

Stickered up and ready to rock!

-
 -
 -
 -
 -

FYI, "LTD Racing" is my faux race team that represents my biggest supporters: my wife, daughter, and son. It's their initials. [Wink]

"El Garaje" is what my buddy's used to call my house back in the day when we used to work on our cars, motorcycles, cut hair, drink beers, etc. [Cool]

[ 2014-03-02, 09:45 PM: Message edited by: SydeWaySix ]

--------------------

maeco
¯
Member # 2578

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for maeco  Ford pictures for maeco    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
clean bro! [patriot]

--------------------
Looking for clean white mustang email me

SydeWaySix
CAFords OG
Member # 3596

quote:
Originally posted by maeco:
clean bro! [patriot]

Thanks bro! Trying to clean up an already beat up car isn't the easiest task [Big Grin]

--------------------

90GT510
¯
Member # 9199

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 90GT510  Ford pictures for 90GT510    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Ur cars are always dope to me maybe cuz I'm a fan of road racing tho

[ 2014-03-02, 11:17 PM: Message edited by: 90GT510 ]

--------------------
Stay Sydewayz

Posts: 1725 | From: East Bay/Dallas, TX | Registered: May 2009  |  :
SydeWaySix
CAFords OG
Member # 3596

quote:
Originally posted by 90GT510:
Ur cars are always dope to me maybe cuz I'm a fan of road racing tho

Thanks man. I definitely like to have nice/clean cars, but nowadays it's function over form for me. Road racing is the most fun you can have in a car hands down! If you haven't tried it, nows the time [dance]

[ 2014-03-02, 11:27 PM: Message edited by: SydeWaySix ]

--------------------

SF Coupe
¯
Member # 1810

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for SF Coupe  Ford pictures for SF Coupe    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Very clean, now go get it dirty!
50Reasons
¯
Member # 6452

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 50Reasons  Ford pictures for 50Reasons    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Very nice car cleaned up well

--------------------
50Reasons Car Club President
Daniel/50Reasons
http://youtu.be/n_UkDg_F4MQ
https://youtu.be/066xRvxKy-g

Posts: 9483 | From: Sacramento Ca | Registered: Jan 2006  |  :
Blk93pny
¯
Member # 11387

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Blk93pny  Ford pictures for Blk93pny    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Looks good man, details like that make a big difference
Blu50Stang
CAFords OG
Member # 489

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Blu50Stang  Ford pictures for Blu50Stang    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Looks much better. Nice work.

--------------------
Ross
'88 GT - 5.0&SF 4/04 | MM&FF 8/09 | MM&FF 79-93 Mustang Performance Cover 12/12
'17 GT350R

SydeWaySix
CAFords OG
Member # 3596

Thanks guys! The car definitely cleanewd up better than i expected.

But as SFCoupe said, now its time to get dirty lol!

--------------------

9cobra7
¯
Member # 2812

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 9cobra7  Ford pictures for 9cobra7    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I know well enough, now that you've done all this, it's time to sell it [Big Grin]
Kidding aside, you did a really nice job cleaning that thing up! I want to see bubble gum all over that thing stuck to the front end, sides and tires of course. [burnout]

VENOMUS PONY 5.0
¯
Member # 7785

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for VENOMUS PONY 5.0  Ford pictures for VENOMUS PONY 5.0    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by 9cobra7:
I know well enough, now that you've done all this, it's time to sell it [Big Grin]
Kidding aside, you did a really nice job cleaning that thing up! I want to see bubble gum all over that thing stuck to the front end, sides and tires of course. [burnout]

I give it a year.. Looking real good before I read your post by looking at the photos I thought you had it professionally sprayed.

--------------------
If You Want More Inches - Stroke It!!!
Mystery stang in the works..

SydeWaySix
CAFords OG
Member # 3596

quote:
Originally posted by 9cobra7:

Only time will tell my friend lol [Wink] The SN95 that I originally wanted has come back into the picture because the owner now wants to sell it again. But I dont have any complaints as of now with this foxbody. [patriot]

--------------------

Gnari-Garage
CAFords OG
Member # 3164

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gnari-Garage  Ford pictures for Gnari-Garage    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
this looks clean, I love the look of a car with painted cage in it. The only thing I would add is the gauges in the dash (in place of the AC unit), I would make a bracket and move those forward. It would look much cleaner

--------------------
2017 McLaren 570GT
2019 Audi S5
2017 Tundra 7" Lift, 37" Tires

Posts: 4017 | From: 916-sacramento | Registered: Aug 2003  |  :
COBRA50
¯
Member # 11614

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for COBRA50  Ford pictures for COBRA50    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Looks really good [worship]

--------------------
94 SVT BLOWN LIGHTNING

acmikee
¯
Member # 5568

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for acmikee  Ford pictures for acmikee    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
looks good you going to have it at sears in couple of weeks.
do you still need to get a tech inspection.
I saw your tow point stickers where is the one for the battery. I know its not required for HPDE but it does make my life easier if needed.

NEIGHT
¯
Member # 8741

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for NEIGHT  Ford pictures for NEIGHT    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Glad you decided to paint the inside because it looked like shit. It's like a whole other car now with little touches like that. [patriot]

--------------------
-Savage Habits-
1992 Summer Edition
1986 Hatch- catfish killer
1964 Impala hard top

Posts: 18528 | From: EA$T $IDE REDWOOD CITY | Registered: Nov 2008  |  :
4IDFOX
¯
Member # 9921

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 4IDFOX  Ford pictures for 4IDFOX    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by acmikee:
I saw your tow point stickers where is the one for the battery. I know its not required for HPDE but it does make my life easier if needed.

I think I see the master switch sticker next to the extinguisher sticker on the door.

Ian, the car looks great ! Time for some seat time. You are going to love it. Do you know what it weighs? You are going to realy like driving a light car. Did it have a right side net and are you going to run with any nets?

Posts: 375 | From: Redding CA | Registered: Apr 2010  |  :
SydeWaySix
CAFords OG
Member # 3596

quote:

Thanks Mike! Yes, I still need the tech inspection. I'm leaving for LA next week so I wont be at Sears unfortunately. I'll try to get ahold of you in a couple weeks to get the annual tech done.

The battery cut-off and fire extinguisher stickers are on the driver's door.

Thanks to everyone else for the feedback! As I mentioned, its a race car so its not the prettiest, but it definitely cleaned up well from when I first got it [patriot]

--------------------

SydeWaySix
CAFords OG
Member # 3596

quote:
Originally posted by 4IDFOX:
quote:

I think I see the master switch sticker next to the extinguisher sticker on the door.

Ian, the car looks great ! Time for some seat time. You are going to love it. Do you know what it weighs? You are going to realy like driving a light car. Did it have a right side net and are you going to run with any nets?

Thanks Troy! Yes, the cut-off switch and fire extinguisher stickers are on the driver side door.

The car weighs ~2950 and puts down ~315rwhp/345rwtq...I beleive it is within the AI rules. Its definitely a lighter and more powerful car than my 98 cobra was!

Yes, i have the window net but removed it since I dont think it's allowed in HPDE. If its is allowed, I'll probably reinstall it. No right side net came with the car though.

I'm planning to get the 5star duckbill spoiler that you have on your AI car. I'll be ordering it soon [Whoo Whooooo!]

--------------------

acmikee
¯
Member # 5568

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for acmikee  Ford pictures for acmikee    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
window net is allowed in HPDE
SydeWaySix
CAFords OG
Member # 3596

quote:
window net is allowed in HPDE

thanks for the confirmation! I'll strap it back in then [patriot]

--------------------

4IDFOX
¯
Member # 9921

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 4IDFOX  Ford pictures for 4IDFOX    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
The 5star spoiler will realy change the looks of the car and the balance also. You may want to think about some kind of air dam on the front at the same time.

What tires are on it? Looks like ra1's or victoracers?

My car post race with 50 lb's of ballast was 3020 once, witch at the time was exactly my minimum. With my gear on i probably weigh 200. You can get more weight out of your car if you get bored and want to start cutting unnesasary metal out.

Posts: 375 | From: Redding CA | Registered: Apr 2010  |  :
SydeWaySix
CAFords OG
Member # 3596

quote:
Originally posted by 4IDFOX:
The 5star spoiler will realy change the looks of the car and the balance also. You may want to think about some kind of air dam on the front at the same time.

What tires are on it? Looks like ra1's or victoracers?

My car post race with 50 lb's of ballast was 3020 once, witch at the time was exactly my minimum. With my gear on i probably weigh 200. You can get more weight out of your car if you get bored and want to start cutting unnesasary metal out.

I'm planning on doing either the Saleen front air dam (if I can find one) or the GT front end. Not that either of them provide a lot more aero than the LX bumper, I think an added splitter will do the trick.

Tires are RA-1's with tread still left in them. I've been told that I can run these tires until they cord and still have good grip.

As for weight, you're right...there is a lot of weight reduction that I can still do to the car, the hood, rear hatch, and original glass being some of them. I'll probably tackle those projects slowly.

--------------------

Page: 1  2   
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com