Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » General Talk   » Can I gut the rear hatch of a Foxbody?

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: Can I gut the rear hatch of a Foxbody?
SydeWaySix
CAFords OG
Member # 3596

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for SydeWaySix  Ford pictures for SydeWaySix    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I was looking for some ways to reduce a few more pounds on my Foxbody and saw an opportunity under the hood and inside the rear hatch.

I think I will be cutting the inner supports/bracing under the hood since I'm using hood pins but was wondering if I could do the same with the rear hatch. I'm still using the stock latching mechanism on the rear so I'm not sure if this will work. Does anyone have any experience or thoughts on gutting the rear hatch on a Foxbody?

Thanks!

--------------------
2013 Boss 302 #356. Performance White. Stock.
1965 Fastback GT Restored to stock spec.

LXjames
¯
Member # 10791

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for LXjames  Ford pictures for LXjames    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
If you really want to drop a few pounds. Take out that cross bar in the doors!! But I think it would be safe to cut a nice square out of the inner shield of the hatch

--------------------
On Point Motorsport prez.
King Lx

Posts: 4761 | From: Pittsburg CA | Registered: Mar 2011  |  :
NEIGHT
¯
Member # 8741

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for NEIGHT  Ford pictures for NEIGHT    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Lose some weight. [Razz]

--------------------
-Savage Habits-
1992 Summer Edition
1986 Hatch- catfish killer
1964 Impala hard top

Posts: 18528 | From: EA$T $IDE REDWOOD CITY | Registered: Nov 2008  |  :
SteveL
¯
Member # 1241

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for SteveL  Ford pictures for SteveL    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I would be concerned if there is still enough support for the rear window. It might not be a good idea if the window is glass but I have not tried this. Mine is glass and still have the full frame.
Posts: 578 | From: San Jose, CA | Registered: May 2002  |  :
SydeWaySix
CAFords OG
Member # 3596

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for SydeWaySix  Ford pictures for SydeWaySix    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Steve, I was thinking the same. My rear window is still glass and I doubt it will be properly supported if I gut the hatch. I also posted this question on anotehr forum and the advice someone gave me was to leave the weight in the rear and try to reduce more weight in the front for better weight distribution. I'll probably leave it alone for now and gut the hood for now.

On a side note, do you know where I can find a Weinerdog front end? [Big Grin]

--------------------

warhorse58gt
¯
Member # 7702

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for warhorse58gt  Ford pictures for warhorse58gt  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Don't take it off the back of the car. You need the weight over the rear axle. The 5-8lbs you take off won't do anything any ways. Stick to taking it off the nose of the car.

--------------------
WOLFPACK RACING

With guns, we are 'citizens'. Without them, we are 'subjects'.

83gt 354ci sbf 9.40 @ 143
77 cobra 2 171ci 97hp of pure fury!

SteveL
¯
Member # 1241

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for SteveL  Ford pictures for SteveL    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by SydeWaySix:

I'll ask but the guy who was making them hasn't done so in a while. He's an electrician, not a fiberglass guy. It was just something he did on the side for a couple of cars.
Posts: 578 | From: San Jose, CA | Registered: May 2002  |  :
SydeWaySix
CAFords OG
Member # 3596

quote:
Originally posted by SteveL:
quote:
Originally posted by SydeWaySix:

I'll ask but the guy who was making them hasn't done so in a while. He's an electrician, not a fiberglass guy. It was just something he did on the side for a couple of cars.
That would be awesome if he can do it! I actually PM'ed BizKitBrain to see if he had any info on this as well. i really want the Weinerdog front and an adjustable nascar style spoiler for the rear (if possible). Thanks [patriot]

--------------------

phildog
¯
Member # 1214

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for phildog  Ford pictures for phildog    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Maier Racing builds a nice Foxbody front end. SteveL had one on his old white coupe. I liked the fact that the lower section came off and the headlight portion stayed attached to the core support.
diablounicorn
¯
Member # 13033

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for diablounicorn  Ford pictures for diablounicorn    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
y deduct weight from the rear? you need more back there. like neight said lose weight if youre on the heavy side, and take more weight off the front.
KARATExxCHUCK
¯
Member # 12851

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for KARATExxCHUCK  Ford pictures for KARATExxCHUCK    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by NEIGHT:
Lose some weight. [Razz]

ROTFL

Charles [patriot]

--------------------
**Sometimes you must kill the snake to walk the path!!
**Message me for Powder Coating and Sand blasting!!!:)

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com