Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » General Talk   » Best place for AR build (Page 1)

- Email this post to someone!   Page: 1  2   
Author Topic: Best place for AR build
sleeping stallion
¯
Member # 8162

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for sleeping stallion  Ford pictures for sleeping stallion    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
So my b day is coming up the big 27 lol
Im really wanting to start building a ar trying to get input do and donuts good websites im been researching now for a few months i think it's time to start
I wanna start with the 80% lower but not sure which one
And then what else would you guys recommend thanks in advance

--------------------
1990 coupe HCI Boost
SEMPER FIDELIS

Posts: 1650 | From: Modesto ca | Registered: Jan 2008  |  :
87_Hatch
¯
Member # 6714

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 87_Hatch  Ford pictures for 87_Hatch    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Check amazon they have good deals on 80% lowers with good reviews

--------------------
Yeeeeeeaaaaa buuudddyyy

Posts: 316 | From: redwood city, CA | Registered: Apr 2006  |  :
87_Hatch
¯
Member # 6714

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 87_Hatch  Ford pictures for 87_Hatch    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00EEC5QZO/ref=mp_s_a_1_1?qid=1378058372&sr=8-1&pi=SL75

They even have the jigs for doing the drilling

--------------------
Yeeeeeeaaaaa buuudddyyy

sleeping stallion
¯
Member # 8162

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for sleeping stallion  Ford pictures for sleeping stallion    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I did check that one out a few days ago but seemed cheap i no it's made out of the good stuff

--------------------
1990 coupe HCI Boost
SEMPER FIDELIS

87_Hatch
¯
Member # 6714

Also check if it comes with some holes already threaded to save you the trouble later. Yea i just used it as an example of how cheap you can do it for.

--------------------
Yeeeeeeaaaaa buuudddyyy

sleeping stallion
¯
Member # 8162

Yea I've been looking and its fairly cheap im not trying to buy everything at once but few hundred here and there kinda like a project I've seen really nice lowers for like 120 140 but alot of them are out of stock

--------------------
1990 coupe HCI Boost
SEMPER FIDELIS

Greasy
¯
Member # 5258

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Greasy  Ford pictures for Greasy    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Don't do an 80% lower they are a bitch and you'll need another lower receiver to take measurements from. Just buy one that's already serialized then go from there. Check out AR15.com for parts or places to buy everything you need.

--------------------
'93 Cobra-Coyote Powered
'03 DSG Cobra
'13 Dodge Cummins
'14 Rubicon X

Posts: 3272 | From: North Dallas | Registered: Jan 2005  |  :
WILDMAN97
¯
Member # 9138

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for WILDMAN97  Ford pictures for WILDMAN97    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
http://aresarmor.com/store/

It's here in Oceanside.

v-town coupe
fordologist
Member # 2771

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for v-town coupe  Ford pictures for v-town coupe    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Stay away from 80%! Most are out of spec and you can't find this out till its been drilled out and guess who they blame on fit ment issues? Yup, you.

Then the registration of long guns is gonna screw you so your going to have to come up with a serial number.

Lastly why? You drop $200+ then gotta do the work and end up with a half anodized half back yard machined looking lower, when you could have got one done, All anodized for $200 or less, And a manufacture that stands behind their product.

Posts: 4597 | From: the V-town | Registered: May 2003  |  :
NEIGHT
¯
Member # 8741

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for NEIGHT  Ford pictures for NEIGHT    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Deep East Oakland can get you what you need. LOL

--------------------
-Savage Habits-
1992 Summer Edition
1986 Hatch- catfish killer
1964 Impala hard top

Posts: 18528 | From: EA$T $IDE REDWOOD CITY | Registered: Nov 2008  |  :
sleeping stallion
¯
Member # 8162

Wildman ares is out of stock i checked them out.
There are some places where they will do the machining for u no way in hell im I trying to do the machining myself

--------------------
1990 coupe HCI Boost
SEMPER FIDELIS

POWERED BY FORD
¯
Member # 9204

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for POWERED BY FORD  Ford pictures for POWERED BY FORD    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by Greasy:
Don't do an 80% lower they are a bitch and you'll need another lower receiver to take measurements from. Just buy one that's already serialized then go from there. Check out AR15.com for parts or places to buy everything you need.

Yeah depends who you take them to. OP pm me, I have a buddy that will take care of you. They have a legit CNC machine that all you do is press a button And the machine does all the work. It has all the exact measurements in the computer so no guessing game
warhorse58gt
¯
Member # 7702

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for warhorse58gt  Ford pictures for warhorse58gt  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
They are easy to build. You don't need a lower to get specs from. This is 2013. You can get all the spec on any lower from the net. Also check out PSA they just had a sale for a kit, that had everything but the lower for $600.. That means a 16 barrel, lpk, hand guards, butt stock, all mil spec.

Even if you go to a cnc place. You have to build it yourself. That means you have to work the cnc machine, or drill. That is how the law works. You can get on calguns.net, and find a build party to join. Most of the time it's about $100. As for the serial number. You only need it if you are going to get rid of it. You can also put any number you want on it. Hell you can make it .420 if you want.

Lol @ registration! Only a fucking idiot would reg his weapon. Registration is only good for gun confiscation. If you home build it. Don't put it into the system! Shit hole Cali. is already spending 24 million on confiscation.

[ 2013-09-03, 11:08 AM: Message edited by: warhorse58gt ]

--------------------
WOLFPACK RACING

With guns, we are 'citizens'. Without them, we are 'subjects'.

83gt 354ci sbf 9.40 @ 143
77 cobra 2 171ci 97hp of pure fury!

sleeping stallion
¯
Member # 8162

Thanks guys ill be looking at some of those websites see whats good out there

--------------------
1990 coupe HCI Boost
SEMPER FIDELIS

Boss 327
¯
Member # 9143

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Boss 327  Ford pictures for Boss 327    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by warhorse58gt:
They are easy to build. You don't need a lower to get specs from. This is 2013. You can get all the spec on any lower from the net. Also check out PSA they just had a sale for a kit, that had everything but the lower for $600.. That means a 16 barrel, lpk, hand guards, butt stock, all mil spec.

Even if you go to a cnc place. You have to build it yourself. That means you have to work the cnc machine, or drill. That is how the law works. You can get on calguns.net, and find a build party to join. Most of the time it's about $100. As for the serial number. You only need it if you are going to get rid of it. You can also put any number you want on it. Hell you can make it .420 if you want.

Lol @ registration! Only a fucking idiot would reg his weapon. Registration is only good for gun confiscation. If you home build it. Don't put it into the system! Shit hole Cali. is already spending 24 million on confiscation.

[Whoo Whooooo!]

--------------------
"You'll never truly understand building engines until you can make power N/A. FI overshadows an engines defficiency." Al Papito

Greasy
¯
Member # 5258

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Greasy  Ford pictures for Greasy    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Last time I checked, having someone (besides the owner of the rifle) machine the 80% lower is illegal.

[ 2013-09-03, 11:29 AM: Message edited by: Greasy ]

--------------------
'93 Cobra-Coyote Powered
'03 DSG Cobra
'13 Dodge Cummins
'14 Rubicon X

POWERED BY FORD
¯
Member # 9204

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for POWERED BY FORD  Ford pictures for POWERED BY FORD    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Last time I checked, having someone (besides the owner of the rifle) machine the 80% lower is illegal.

Yeah it is, I don't know if you where referring to my post or not but where I am talking about you rent the CNC machine and do it yourself.
warhorse58gt
¯
Member # 7702

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for warhorse58gt  Ford pictures for warhorse58gt  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:

100% true. You have to build it yourself. That is why when you go to the build parties, they tell you how to work said machine. Then you have to do all the work yourself. I couldn't even help my wife build her's. [patriot]

--------------------
WOLFPACK RACING

sleeping stallion
¯
Member # 8162

I was referring to them telling you how to do it fix it up for and all u do is push a button thats how ares is but they are out of stock

--------------------
1990 coupe HCI Boost
SEMPER FIDELIS

Greasy
¯
Member # 5258

quote:
Originally posted by POWERED BY FORD:
quote:

Yeah it is, I don't know if you where referring to my post or not but where I am talking about you rent the CNC machine and do it yourself.
I was looking for a different thread but stumbled across this, turns out that is illegal too.

quote:

"ATF does claim that you need an FFL (manufacturing license) to engage in the 80 to 100 percent business operations - even if others are pushing the buttons and performing all the steps on your machine at your facility".

http://thefiringline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=523263

--------------------
'93 Cobra-Coyote Powered
'03 DSG Cobra
'13 Dodge Cummins
'14 Rubicon X

Greasy
¯
Member # 5258

quote:
quote:

100% true. You have to build it yourself. That is why when you go to the build parties, they tell you how to work said machine. Then you have to do all the work yourself. I couldn't even help my wife build her's. [patriot]
Yup, when I did mine I bought a drill press and had an already machined lower and caliper gauge, then spent a day in the garage.

--------------------
'93 Cobra-Coyote Powered
'03 DSG Cobra
'13 Dodge Cummins
'14 Rubicon X

WILDMAN97
¯
Member # 9138

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for WILDMAN97  Ford pictures for WILDMAN97    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by sleeping stallion:
I was referring to them telling you how to do it fix it up for and all u do is push a button thats how ares is but they are out of stock

They have the 80% lowers in stock, they do the build parties there as well. They will show you how to put it in the jig and take a picture of you pressing the start button. A guy I work with just had one done.
v-town coupe
fordologist
Member # 2771

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for v-town coupe  Ford pictures for v-town coupe    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:

So when this 2014 long gun registration kicks in, you arent going to register your long guns? you are just going to hang on to them and hope you never get ripped off? never shoot them? or hope you never have to use one? and then be caught with other shit un-registered? plus the gun you just used to shoot someone who broke in your house?

The gov cant take your guns with out compensation, and with the cost of firearms they dont have enough dough to do so. so what other reason do you have to not register it if required by law?
really is not registering your guns worth going to jail? is it worth no being able to own guns in the future?

Yes this state blows when it comes to gun laws, and this bs of registering long guns will turn some folks into criminals when caught. cause you know if shit gets stolen you either get to

A. go on about your business and loose out.
OR
B.report it and risk getting picked up.

Same thing goes for these politicians trying to take hi-caps you have had since it was legal to have. only difference is, a high cap is easier to hide or if lost or stolen your not really trip'n on 20 bucks.

Yeah its BS, but when the time comes..... what you gonna do?

warhorse58gt
¯
Member # 7702

quote:
Originally posted by v-town coupe:
quote:

So when this 2014 long gun registration kicks in, you arent going to register your long guns? you are just going to hang on to them and hope you never get ripped off? never shoot them? or hope you never have to use one? and then be caught with other shit un-registered? plus the gun you just used to shoot someone who broke in your house?

The gov cant take your guns with out compensation, and with the cost of firearms they dont have enough dough to do so. so what other reason do you have to not register it if required by law?
really is not registering your guns worth going to jail? is it worth no being able to own guns in the future?

Yes this state blows when it comes to gun laws, and this bs of registering long guns will turn some folks into criminals when caught. cause you know if shit gets stolen you either get to

OR

Same thing goes for these politicians trying to take hi-caps you have had since it was legal to have. only difference is, a high cap is easier to hide or if lost or stolen your not really trip'n on 20 bucks.

I'm going to move out of this state. Already started looking for houses, and the wife has already started paper work to get transferred to a different job site.

lol @ "The gov can't take your guns with out compensation." They do it all the time. And they have 24 million just for confiscation. And a list with 20k people on it.

What about their law they are trying to get passed banning owner ship of mags that hold more than 10 rounds. You going to turn in ever mag you have that is over 10 rounds? If you don't you will become a felon.. So you going to turn yours in or you going to destroy them? I doubt any one will do either..

ps. Wanted to add this. The people that won't register. Will be less likely to help others with their firearms in fear of going to jail. Making it even more unsafe for non-gun owners. But will have no problem using them to defend their own. I know no matter what, in this state if you shot some one, you are going to jail. Then you get to prove if it was justified. [patriot]

[ 2013-09-03, 02:46 PM: Message edited by: warhorse58gt ]

--------------------
WOLFPACK RACING

v-town coupe
fordologist
Member # 2771

quote:
quote:
Originally posted by v-town coupe:
quote:

OR

I'm going to move out of this state. Already started looking for houses, and the wife has already started paper work to get transferred to a different job site.

lol @ "The gov can't take your guns with out compensation." They do it all the time. And they have 24 million just for confiscation. And a list with 20k people on it.

What about their law they are trying to get passed banning owner ship of mags that hold more than 10 rounds. You going to turn in ever mag you have that is over 10 rounds? If you don't you will become a felon.. So you going to turn yours in or you going to destroy them? I doubt any one will do either..

ps. Wanted to add this. The people that won't register. Will be less likely to help others with their firearms in fear of going to jail. Making it even more unsafe for non-gun owners. But will have no problem using them to defend their own. I know no matter what, in this state if you shot some one, you are going to jail. Then you get to prove if it was justified. [patriot]

its a total catch 22 no matter how you look at it. your best bet is to continue to do your part so the fags in congress and at the legislature dont fuck you over.

I seen what you are talking about with the mags. your gun will still function with a 10 round mag, your mag will not function without a gun! much easier to keep your legal pre-bans stached then explain whole guns. Trust me we and the wife have been talking bout getting the eff out here as well.

You know whos next to start losing their guns are folks that "club" members. watch.

Page: 1  2   
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com