Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » General Talk   » I just got hired , As a Tech..... (Page 1)

- Email this post to someone!   Page: 1  2   
Author Topic: I just got hired , As a Tech.....
MACK.GT
¯
Member # 10461

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for MACK.GT  Ford pictures for MACK.GT    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
This will be my 1st actual Tech Job In The auto industry. Hopefully l get Good enough quick enough at it.. Any advise From those who have been In my shoes would be coo. Thanks CA Fords .......
Greasy
¯
Member # 5258

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Greasy  Ford pictures for Greasy    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Do the best you can and pay attention. You'll get the hang of it. Good luck [patriot]

--------------------
'93 Cobra-Coyote Powered
'03 DSG Cobra
'13 Dodge Cummins
'14 Rubicon X

Posts: 3272 | From: North Dallas | Registered: Jan 2005  |  :
turbo50
¯
Member # 6700

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for turbo50  Ford pictures for turbo50    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
If they dont offer it make sure you buy both long and short term disability insurance.

--------------------
.........when was the last time YOU built something with YOUR own hands?

I offer quality sidework at reasonable prices. PM ME

Posts: 7606 | From: Discovery Bay, California | Registered: Apr 2006  |  :
POWERED BY FORD
¯
Member # 9204

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for POWERED BY FORD  Ford pictures for POWERED BY FORD    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Run and don't look back lol
MACK.GT
¯
Member # 10461

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for MACK.GT  Ford pictures for MACK.GT    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Thanks for the well wishes, Im really excited about it and have worked hard in school over the past 4 semesters for this oppertunity !
TR1
98COBRA.COM
Member # 296

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for TR1  Ford pictures for TR1    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by MACK.GT:
This will be my 1st actual Tech Job In The auto industry. Hopefully l get Good enough quick enough at it.. Any advise From those who have been In my shoes would be coo. Thanks CA Fords .......

I was a tech at a Lincoln dealership for 4 years and a Ford dealership for 3. It's hard work. Will you be flat rate or hourly? It's a good job just hard on your body if you're going to do it for a long time. Dan has some good advice. Disability insurance.

--------------------
Yep.

Posts: 1381 | From: Bay Area, CA. | Registered: Jun 2001  |  :
50Reasons
¯
Member # 6452

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 50Reasons  Ford pictures for 50Reasons    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Congrats on the new gig

--------------------
50Reasons Car Club President
Daniel/50Reasons
http://youtu.be/n_UkDg_F4MQ
https://youtu.be/066xRvxKy-g

Posts: 9483 | From: Sacramento Ca | Registered: Jan 2006  |  :
06ragtopgt_SOS
¯
Member # 11327

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 06ragtopgt_SOS  Ford pictures for 06ragtopgt_SOS  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by POWERED BY FORD:
Run and don't look back lol

+1, been in the industry for nearly 7 years and I'm taking my ass back to college this fall. True TECHNICIANS get no recognition anymore and the labor times keep getting shorter and shorter. I've been flat rate for land rover for 2 years now and have doctors that make 10x what I do saying my job is too hard. Maybe there's a killing to be made somewhere in the industry, but it's not at a dealership. Don't even get me started on the politics...

--------------------
Lame ass 2006 3V GT. Low and slow, all bark, no bite.

SacStangDriver
¯
Member # 8304

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for SacStangDriver  Ford pictures for SacStangDriver    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Listen to old people. they know what they are talking about.

[ 2013-06-15, 01:28 AM: Message edited by: SacStangDriver ]

--------------------
Need sidework done at great prices? I work on all makes and models from engine work to gears. Check engine light problems too. 916 912 3493

Posts: 1217 | From: sacramento | Registered: Mar 2008  |  :
MACK.GT
¯
Member # 10461

Ford Icon 14 posted      Profile for MACK.GT  Ford pictures for MACK.GT    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
So theres a bad side to it , negative effects on your health over time, and the piece work thing I get that. So how about if you get a good hourly rate shop to work for that is not a dealership. And how about all money folks have made , cars and houses bought, thousands of dollars worth of tools in the toolbox, and the ability to make thousands of dollars more with them, all the money you save by fixing up your own projects , and having tons of money to finance those projects and do builds just the way you imagine them to be, just like in the magazine...your family, your friends, even your neighbors look up to you and respect you because of how good you are at building and repairing cars, and what you have done with your life. ?......
Back to the career part, what if you end up working at Shelby, or Bentley, or some other ultra high end company, even BMW. Last time I was at new car show , the volvo folks were telling me about how highly paid their techs are paid and how theres so few of them, and that they get flown across country all the time . Or even a local mercedes general manager was telling me that he has techs making over 100k a year because of overtime pay, and the lack of people getting into the trade these days (exact words).....
Im just saying though, theres a BIG PLUS side to it, if you have the vision , and know what you want out of it, and stay hungry for it. And always remember that persistence wears down resistance!

Robb
¯
Member # 9444

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Robb  Ford pictures for Robb    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I wouldn't make a career out of being a tech at a dealership, that's for sure. I work as a detailer at a dealership and that is a cake walk compared to what techs do for the same amount of money so I don't mind it but its definitely not going to be a long term thing. Dealerships are all about quantity, they don't care about quality. They want as much work out of you as cheaply as possible.

Like a guy said above, I'm taking my ass back to college. Cars are suppose to be my hobby, Not a career.

[ 2013-06-15, 06:31 AM: Message edited by: Robb ]

Posts: 2467 | From: Sacramento,CA | Registered: Sep 2009  |  :
Greasy
¯
Member # 5258

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Greasy  Ford pictures for Greasy    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
You've got to find the right dealership, I got lucky with my job.

--------------------
'93 Cobra-Coyote Powered
'03 DSG Cobra
'13 Dodge Cummins
'14 Rubicon X

Posts: 3272 | From: North Dallas | Registered: Jan 2005  |  :
1996 GT
I'm Joe Yates
Member # 4992

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 1996 GT  Ford pictures for 1996 GT    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Get a career where your not doing manual labor, go back to skoo get a desk job and then get money, married , kids, then fat , divorced, child support , herpes from your mistress then die of aids. Be reincarnated and try again.
1996 GT
I'm Joe Yates
Member # 4992

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 1996 GT  Ford pictures for 1996 GT    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I love going on cafords for life advice we all have our shit together right?

--------------------
http://i.magaimg.net/img/257w.png

turbo50
¯
Member # 6700

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for turbo50  Ford pictures for turbo50    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I gave you solid advice rather than a kick in the nuts. We all know you arent going to turn back now and we are VERY happy to see a fellow enthusiast do well in life (i.e. go to school, get a job) so regardless of what advice you head on here, please pay attention to mine. I do speak from experience.

When you are used to making 40-50 dollars an hour, then you get hurt and have to rely on the state of california, for example, they max out at 940 a week.

That is peanuts when you are used to three times that.

Short term disability is typically offered with your benefits package, however, it is also typically 100% of your base pay for 4-24 weeks.

Long term disability is typically OPTIONAL on benefits packages and is also typically 65% of your base pay.

Aflack, Aetna both offer disability insurance and it ranges from 25-50 dollars a month.

Break that up into 2-4 pay periods and pre tax deduct it and you are a fool not to carry it.

I wish you luck.

TURBO50 OUT!

--------------------
.........when was the last time YOU built something with YOUR own hands?

I offer quality sidework at reasonable prices. PM ME

Posts: 7606 | From: Discovery Bay, California | Registered: Apr 2006  |  :
06ragtopgt_SOS
¯
Member # 11327

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 06ragtopgt_SOS  Ford pictures for 06ragtopgt_SOS  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
So I just re-read my post above and realized it sounds awfully bitter. I was a few beers in last night after a shitty day at work. One good piece of advice I have for you is to not let the tool truck guys push you into a big shiny tool box, the box will not make you money, its the tools in it that matter. Also if you're flat rate, keep a close eye I'm your hours flagged. Service writers tend to mess up on closing paper work and then you won't get paid. Other than that the only key to efficiency is repetition. Hopefully you end up happy with your job and make a ton of Monet, either way, being a good tech is a hell of a skill set to have. Good luck!

--------------------
Lame ass 2006 3V GT. Low and slow, all bark, no bite.

SLOWBACK 67
¯
Member # 6348

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for SLOWBACK 67  Ford pictures for SLOWBACK 67    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I've never been a tech but I'm assuming like most jobs if you work hard & show some responsibility you could maybe move up to a manager position...... Then your in charge of all the guys doing the heavy lifting. Just make sure you don't let the power to to your head and remember what it's like being the low man on the totem pole.

Good luck and hope your new career works out. [patriot]

--------------------
Originally posted by turbo50:
I have no intenions of keeping anyones parts or taking anyones money.

SLOWSN95
¯
Member # 8269

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for SLOWSN95  Ford pictures for SLOWSN95    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I've been a mechanic/tech before. Its hard work. Its a good idea to invest in the disability insurance and to take care of your body as much as you can. After 6 months, your knees, back, elbows and everything else starts to ache. In this industry, its probably a better idea to work smarter than harder as long as you do everything in a timely manner.

And please listen to 06ragtopgt. The tool guys will try to push you to buy a box and tools. Work your way up, and try not to get yourself into too much debt right away. Lots of people start with craftsman tool when they start out and do just fine.

Good luck.

--------------------
94' GT
347 Stroker
MM Suspended

2003 SB SVT Lightning
Pullied and Lowered

89'Hatch-SOLD

Posts: 2214 | From: 510/east bay | Registered: Mar 2008  |  :
hidnn.o.s.
¯
Member # 1219

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for hidnn.o.s.  Ford pictures for hidnn.o.s.        Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
For the record, a tech or mech?

--------------------
R.I.P. Willie G. You are missed on this forum

MACK.GT
¯
Member # 10461

For the record, its a tech postion paid by the hour. I will definitely research disablility insurance a bit more and get some or make sure I have some through work, and also not get into debt with the tool truck folks. I order my tools online and get the student discount still too.
CobraTerritory
¯
Member # 6476

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for CobraTerritory  Ford pictures for CobraTerritory  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
If you have to borrow a tool more than once buy it. Nothing more annoying than someone constantly asking to borrow something. and please clean up what ever it is that you borrowed.

- Finally got to vent. Hahaha

--------------------
Advanced Auto Built
5.0 Mustang & Super Fords October 2013 Cover Car
1 Of 0 Bright Atlantic Blue Terminator

Posts: 1546 | From: Oakland, CA | Registered: Feb 2006  |  :
RSCapri
¯
Member # 6177

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for RSCapri  Ford pictures for RSCapri    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Take Dan's advise and NEVER forget it. All I have to add is that Yes, pay attention and double check, triple check everything you touch and when in doubt, recheck again. And lastly, no matter if it's your manager or boss who says otherwise, if you're uncomfortable about doing something on a car or a "service" you're about to do or did, don't do it. I have been asked to perform jobs that were either unethical or just plain illegal by previous employees, but remember, they can be fined and so can you.

On the bright side, good luck, work smart not hard

--------------------
03 DSG Mach 1*SOLD
82 GT-5.0, 5spd, IRS *SOLD
79 Coupe*SOLD
84 Capri RS
94 GT *SOLD
82 Mercury Capri 5.0 *SOLD

Posts: 855 | From: Las Vegas, NV | Registered: Nov 2005  |  :
hidnn.o.s.
¯
Member # 1219

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for hidnn.o.s.  Ford pictures for hidnn.o.s.        Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
How many ASE's do you have to your credit?

--------------------
R.I.P. Willie G. You are missed on this forum

MACK.GT
¯
Member # 10461

5 ASE certificates, thanks for all the input !
SacStangDriver
¯
Member # 8304

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for SacStangDriver  Ford pictures for SacStangDriver    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Once you get enough experience and if you can. push it to work for yourself as i have. I started off rocky but business is steady now.

--------------------
Need sidework done at great prices? I work on all makes and models from engine work to gears. Check engine light problems too. 916 912 3493

Posts: 1217 | From: sacramento | Registered: Mar 2008  |  :

Page: 1  2   
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com