Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » General Talk   » Samsung Galaxy S4 (Page 2)

- Email this post to someone!   Page: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: Samsung Galaxy S4
BUKSING
¯
Member # 6594

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for BUKSING  Ford pictures for BUKSING    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by 302n/a:
Samsung galaxy shits on iphone all day

iPhone sales shits on Samsung galaxy all day.
SacStangDriver
¯
Member # 8304

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for SacStangDriver  Ford pictures for SacStangDriver    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
anyone upgrading to s4 wanna sell me their s3? [Smile]

--------------------
Need sidework done at great prices? I work on all makes and models from engine work to gears. Check engine light problems too. 916 912 3493

Posts: 1217 | From: sacramento | Registered: Mar 2008  |  :
SacStangDriver
¯
Member # 8304

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for SacStangDriver  Ford pictures for SacStangDriver    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB

[ 2013-06-02, 02:45 PM: Message edited by: SacStangDriver ]

--------------------
Need sidework done at great prices? I work on all makes and models from engine work to gears. Check engine light problems too. 916 912 3493

Posts: 1217 | From: sacramento | Registered: Mar 2008  |  :
stanger50
20yr club
Member # 1665

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for stanger50  Ford pictures for stanger50    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Touch wiz is the shitiest UI, have no idea why people believe the hype. Don't upgrade til key lime pie releases in a few months.

--------------------
1998 Cobra SVT convertible
Bright Atlantic Blue (1 of 247)

20 year club.

poisonpony96
¯
Member # 3942

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for poisonpony96  Ford pictures for poisonpony96    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I've been a huge iPhone fan. I have had 4 of them. I'm ready to upgrade and I'm thinking of going to driod really looking at the htc one. Any input?
Raelsmar
¯
Member # 9804

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Raelsmar  Ford pictures for Raelsmar    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by poisonpony96:
I've been a huge iPhone fan. I have had 4 of them. I'm ready to upgrade and I'm thinking of going to driod really looking at the htc one. Any input?

I've heard from a lot of tech sources that the HTC One is dope.

--------------------
2010 Genesis 2.0T

If you can read this, then it's burrito time

Originally posted by 2T0NE
Niners deserve to lose

Raiders Lakers A's

Posts: 3768 | From: Vallejo, CA | Registered: Feb 2010  |  :
poisonpony96
¯
Member # 3942

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for poisonpony96  Ford pictures for poisonpony96    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
That's what I've been hearing but the s4 is suppose to be great to. Has some key things the htc doesn't but the htc looks high end like iPhone where the s4 is just plastic
Raelsmar
¯
Member # 9804

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Raelsmar  Ford pictures for Raelsmar    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by poisonpony96:
That's what I've been hearing but the s4 is suppose to be great to. Has some key things the htc doesn't but the htc looks high end like iPhone where the s4 is just plastic

The s4 is doper than any phone out right now. Ill take the plastic, so what it scratches. Iphone is all glass, drop it the wrong way and say goodbye.

--------------------
2010 Genesis 2.0T

Niners deserve to lose

Raiders Lakers A's

fortyoz
¯
Member # 2975

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for fortyoz  Ford pictures for fortyoz    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by x Raelsmar x:
quote:
Originally posted by QuarterHorse / Slick:
Samsung Galaxy Note III is said to release in September. Hope I can wait that long?, I'm allowed an upgrade this month. Rumors of a 5.9" screen?

That's just too big. How you supposed to conceal it? Imagine how it would fit in your pocket. If it has the features of the S4 it will be dope.
People say the Note 2 is way too big... until you actually own it and use it. After a couple days it'll feel like a regular phone and you look at non-Note phones WAY differently. Fits into all my pockets with no problems.

As for features, once a developer creates a custom rom with certain S4 features or any other phones, such as hand waving to answer a phone call, for other high end Android phones it's definitely possible.. if it hasn't already been made by now. The multi window feature from the Note 2 has already been developed into other non-Note 2 phones. Same way Android 2.xxx phones can update to Android 4.2. Basically what it comes down to is more hardware specs, not features. Another reason why people buy the S4 International version instead of the U.S version. Same with the S3.

There's way more to these phones than what you actually "read" that you can do out of the box. Android is open source as opposed to the closed source iOS. Open source = sky's the limit.

[ 2013-06-03, 05:27 PM: Message edited by: fortyoz ]

stanger50
20yr club
Member # 1665

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for stanger50  Ford pictures for stanger50    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Google Flagship + stock android + first to update = Win

--------------------

20 year club.

stanger50
20yr club
Member # 1665

Few months from now you'll be wishing you've waited for the Moto X. Y'all S4 with be on CL in a heart beat.

--------------------

20 year club.

DLo
¯
Member # 6133

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for DLo  Ford pictures for DLo    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Stanger50, it's like that with any technology these days. That's like buying a Coyote 5.0 with *** numbers, then next year they up the numbers again and get better MPG to go with it. Can't keep up with technology these days. I say if your old phone is ready to be retired, just buy the next one and enjoy it. If you keep reading about the next big thing that hits, you'll be buying phones every couple of months!

--------------------
94 GT

Posts: 1876 | From: Bay Area, CA | Registered: Oct 2005  |  :
DEVERO2
¯
Member # 6155

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for DEVERO2  Ford pictures for DEVERO2    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
better pick up some vintage JNCO jeans so you can fit those big ass phones in your pocket LOL
Posts: 641 | From: sacramento | Registered: Oct 2005  |  :
Luke87GT
Lay'n more stripes
than Caltrans
Member # 21

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Luke87GT  Ford pictures for Luke87GT    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
For the guys pitching Samsung, what specifically do you like about the S4 over the Iphone?

Like I said, I've been an Iphone user for a long time and recently switched to the S4. I love the screen size and the fact that you don't use that gawd awful I-Tunes program.

With that said, there are quite a few things I don't like about this S4 too:

- Typing is more error prone. That's counterintuitive since the screen and buttons are bigger. I've talked to several people and everyone seems to agree that the typing is not as easy and the predictive text is not as good.

- When texting with one hand, I can't quite reach the corners of the phone. That's expected I guess with a big screen like this.

- I realize the processor is supposed to be faster than the Iphone 5, but when you hit a button on the Iphone 5, it comes up instantly. There is a slight lag with the S4.

- In general, I notice that everything I attempt to do with this S4 takes me just a tiny bit longer than it did with the Iphone.

- Voice command is much better/smarter on the Iphone. I thought for sure Android would be better in this department.

- MMS is a joke with the S4... Takes forever and so glitchy and limited.

My biggest complaint is that I can't input text as easily into this phone as I could with the iphone.

But I will say that overall it's pretty impressive.

[ 2013-06-09, 11:30 PM: Message edited by: Luke87GT ]

--------------------
Stangless

Posts: 7802 | From: San Mateo | Registered: Jul 2000  |  :
poisonpony96
¯
Member # 3942

I just switched yesterday to the s4 from a 4s. So far I like it alot but texting or typing is slower for me
DIRTY SALLY
¯
Member # 7845

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for DIRTY SALLY  Ford pictures for DIRTY SALLY    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
i had a smart phone once till i gota hold of it now its retarted [Frown]

--------------------
---------
Savage Habits
instagram @2cheezen

Luke87GT
Lay'n more stripes
than Caltrans
Member # 21

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Luke87GT  Ford pictures for Luke87GT    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I will let you guy in on a little secret.

For you S4 guys who are fed up with the typing, download "google keyboard"

It increases the size of the buttons and allows you to control how aggressive the predictive texting is.

I was very much unsure of this phone and was contemplating returning it, until I got his app.

Now I feel completely connected to it.

You're welcome.

--------------------
Stangless

DLo
¯
Member # 6133

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for DLo  Ford pictures for DLo    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Luke, I don't have a S4 but I've been a Droid user for a few years now. Try the swiftkey keyboard as well. I can't stand the stock Droid keyboards. I also have an iPhone for work.

You hit most of it on the dot. I absolutely cannot stand iTunes. I can't stand how Apple locks down iOS. It does have its benefits, it's a very intuitive and easy to use system. It's simple, it works, and even the computer illiterate can adept to it. I think Apple's touch screen was much better than Droid initially. The interface is also a hell of a lot smoother, have to give that to them. Here's an article that explains why Droids can lag: http://www.phonearena.com/news/Here-is-why-Android-is-laggy-and-why-its-going-to-remain-like-that-in-the-near-future_id24434

I'll most likely get another Droid when my current one craps out. I'd really like to get that new Motorola that is made here, but Samsung seems to have the most developers with custom ROMs going for it. Not sure how Motorola is in that department with their previous phones, but I'm guessing not great.

Posts: 1876 | From: Bay Area, CA | Registered: Oct 2005  |  :
Jaejae5.0
¯
Member # 7958

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jaejae5.0  Ford pictures for Jaejae5.0    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
@luke ive Been experimenting with swipe keyboard and it works great..give it a try

--------------------
1987 notchback h/c/i 302 & 70mm turbo SOLD

2000 camaro ss cam only

Posts: 4890 | From: the combustion chamber | Registered: Oct 2007  |  :
Raelsmar
¯
Member # 9804

quote:
Originally posted by Luke87GT:
I will let you guy in on a little secret.

For you S4 guys who are fed up with the typing, download "google keyboard"

It increases the size of the buttons and allows you to control how aggressive the predictive texting is.

I was very much unsure of this phone and was contemplating returning it, until I got his app.

Now I feel completely connected to it.

You're welcome.

Omg omg omg

Thank you!!!

--------------------
2010 Genesis 2.0T

Niners deserve to lose

Raiders Lakers A's

Luke87GT
Lay'n more stripes
than Caltrans
Member # 21

No problem.

And jaejae, swipe is great and it comes with Google Keyboard too. So you keep the swipe but you get bigger keys and a iPhone-like predictive text.

Have you used your s4 to make any new "I got barZ" videos?

--------------------
Stangless

Luke87GT
Lay'n more stripes
than Caltrans
Member # 21

My only real complaint now that I am trying to solve is the text/mms.

I'm struggling to understand why it takes so long to attach picture images to texts. Its so slow and limits how many pics I can attach at a time. IPhone's text program is so much cleaner and user friendly.

Ive tried several text apps and they all are pretty weak compared to Iphone

Once I solve that I will be good to go.

--------------------
Stangless

Luke87GT
Lay'n more stripes
than Caltrans
Member # 21

Ok guys, I've been playing with the phone some more and have identified 4 items that I need to solve which have been getting under my skin:

1.) Auto scroll up. If you are on a lengthy web-site, and you want to scroll up quickly, how do you do it with the S4? With the Iphone, you simply tap the top of the screen.

2.) I love the swipe feature to delete old texts and emails on the Iphone. Is it possible to get this with the S4? At a minimum, how do I delete multiple emails/texts at the same time?

3.) MMS, why is it so terrible with the S4? It takes far too long to attached images and you are limited to how many images you can attach. Even when I resize the images, I can't seem to attach more than 3 pics at a time!

4.) When texting, sometimes I want to get rid of the keyboard so I can see more of the text that's already been sent. With the Iphone you simply tap the upper half of the screen and the keyboard disappears. Why can't I get rid of the keyboard with the S4? The only way I have found to do it is to hit the "back" key and then go back to the text icon. That's lame.

Any solutions for these annoyances?

Thanks guys!

--------------------
Stangless

fortyoz
¯
Member # 2975

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for fortyoz  Ford pictures for fortyoz    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Like I said before...

http://forum.xda-developers.com/

Search for your phone.. and carrier. Click on Android Development. Anybody with a decent to high end Android who hasn't heard of this site is missing the BIG picture. Out the box, you're only getting a quarter of your Android phone's TRUE potential.

And anyone with an S4 problem, search away on that forum. All you need to do is learn, just like a beginner Ford enthusiast reading these forums.

fortyoz
¯
Member # 2975

quote:
Originally posted by Luke87GT:
Ok guys, I've been playing with the phone some more and have identified 4 items that I need to solve which have been getting under my skin:

1.) Auto scroll up. If you are on a lengthy web-site, and you want to scroll up quickly, how do you do it with the S4? With the Iphone, you simply tap the top of the screen.

--- I dont think it has that option... stock. It is fast enough to take long and quick swipes to get back to the top very quickly. Sounds like a good option but it makes for mistakened accidental top screen taps. At the same time, Im pretty sure a developer on XDA has created that option for nearly all Android phones. Just have to find it.. and flash it.

2.) I love the swipe feature to delete old texts and emails on the Iphone. Is it possible to get this with the S4? At a minimum, how do I delete multiple emails/texts at the same time?

There's an option where you select one.. check off all the one or ones you would like to delete... then delete every one you have checked off. Or there is an option to delete all.

3.) MMS, why is it so terrible with the S4? It takes far too long to attached images and you are limited to how many images you can attach. Even when I resize the images, I can't seem to attach more than 3 pics at a time!

--- Do you have 4g? What carrier? Good signal? Even if you have garbage signal there are custom built roms for Androids that make the GPS, mobile data signal and wifi signal way stronger than stock. Read and learn on XDA forums. I have no problems with this whatsoever on my custom flashed Note 2.

4.) When texting, sometimes I want to get rid of the keyboard so I can see more of the text that's already been sent. With the Iphone you simply tap the upper half of the screen and the keyboard disappears. Why can't I get rid of the keyboard with the S4? The only way I have found to do it is to hit the "back" key and then go back to the text icon. That's lame.

--- Isnt that single click on the back button the same as a single click on the upper half of an iphone screen?? If it's too much for you, sell your S4 and get an iPhone. They are made for everybody to use and learn in a quick manner. Even children and toddlers can use them.

Any solutions for these annoyances?

--- The best solution is to find a custom rom + root that best serves all and every one of YOUR needs. The whole point of an Android is its open source system to where ANYONE can create and use its OS in anyway THEY WANT. Again, learn about your phone, flashing custom roms and rooting and it will solve all of your problems.

And BTW, if you find the problems you have stated as annoying then you might hang yourself once you find out how annoying iTunes is. Good luck downloading music and videos and transporting huge files thru iTunes. Thats just one problem [Smile] Well... a real one! Good luck

Thanks guys!

Page: 1  2  3   
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com