Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » General Talk   » local drag strip in the bay.... (Page 1)

- Email this post to someone!   Page: 1  2   
Author Topic: local drag strip in the bay....
tonkaboyrich496
¯
Member # 9877

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for tonkaboyrich496  Ford pictures for tonkaboyrich496    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Just bringing this idea up for discussion, but does any one know why we don't have a local track in the bay? We got sonoma and sac but both are kinda far. I feel we have a BIG car/racing scene here in the bay and was just wondering what it would take to get a track maybe hayward/union city area...looking for help on the pros/cons on this. Does anyone know what are some requirements to having a track. I think a local track would be great for local shops, and a safe environment for the racing scene....

--------------------
87 Coupe = stock w/ 500 shot
88 Box chev with a built 496 = coming soon

LXjames
¯
Member # 10791

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for LXjames  Ford pictures for LXjames    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
In Antioch we have a dirt track but I would love to see some of this city owned ran down land put to use. I was even thinking about getting some type of sanctioned event going

--------------------
On Point Motorsport prez.
King Lx

Posts: 4761 | From: Pittsburg CA | Registered: Mar 2011  |  :
1996 GT
I'm Joe Yates
Member # 4992

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 1996 GT  Ford pictures for 1996 GT    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
7th street in Oakland is safe, so is Freeway 880 I hear.

--------------------
http://i.magaimg.net/img/257w.png

tonkaboyrich496
¯
Member # 9877

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for tonkaboyrich496  Ford pictures for tonkaboyrich496    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by LXjames:
In Antioch we have a dirt track but I would love to see some of this city owned ran down land put to use. I was even thinking about getting some type of sanctioned event going

My opinion I think hayward would be great. It's easy to get to and yhere are PLENTY of performance shops in the here to advertise for. We know vic Hubbard is there for parts also...but antioch isn't bad either. Just looking for a way to promote safer racing. Don't except a track to stop street racing 100% but if we had a closer track I think it would impact the numbers of street racing. The less time the cops have to spend on racing the more they can put towards making streets safer

--------------------

tonkaboyrich496
¯
Member # 9877

quote:
Originally posted by Cobra 93-4992:

Honestly hasn't been many problems on 7th but as soon as we have a issue it will get shut down. Then what?

--------------------

SwEeT03Gt
¯
Member # 10283

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for SwEeT03Gt  Ford pictures for SwEeT03Gt    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by tonkaboyrich496:
Just bringing this idea up for discussion, but does any one know why we don't have a local track in the bay? We got sonoma and sac but both are kinda far. I feel we have a BIG car/racing scene here in the bay and was just wondering what it would take to get a track maybe hayward/union city area...looking for help on the pros/cons on this. Does anyone know what are some requirements to having a track. I think a local track would be great for local shops, and a safe environment for the racing scene....

sonoma is too stick and sac is starting to get strict as well, we used to have bay lands raceway in fremont were the new theaters at idky it got shut down, but if i ever hit the lotto first thing im doing is building a local track [Big Grin] open 6 days a week lol
Posts: 4484 | From: -NicKlE n DiMe- | Registered: Sep 2010  |  :
tonkaboyrich496
¯
Member # 9877

quote:
Originally posted by SwEeT03Gt:
quote:

sonoma is too stick and sac is starting to get strict as well, we used to have bay lands raceway in fremont were the new theaters at idky it got shut down, but if i ever hit the lotto first thing im doing is building a local track [Big Grin] open 6 days a week lol
A local track would bring in some much busines. Not to mention all the sponsors that would be down to help

--------------------

SwEeT03Gt
¯
Member # 10283

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for SwEeT03Gt  Ford pictures for SwEeT03Gt    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
quote:
quote:

A local track would bring in some much busines. Not to mention all the sponsors that would be down to help
sponsors is what kills it tho, that's why sonoma is so strict with following the nhra rules to a T
tonkaboyrich496
¯
Member # 9877

quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:

sponsors is what kills it tho, that's why sonoma is so strict with following the nhra rules to a T
Like what? Got an example?

--------------------

John91coupe
CAFords OG
Member # 18

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for John91coupe  Ford pictures for John91coupe  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
An ideal place would be the old Alameda Naval Air Station but I'm sure there would be mountains of red tape involved. They really can't use the place for much of anything due to the toxic waste issues. Already have the paved strip area with the runway. Could probably fit 8 drag strips on that runway. The place is HUGE!

--------------------
D-2R ProCharged R302 331
1.410 60 ft.
5.784 @ 122.92 1/8
8.953 @ 155.08
MM&FF Feature June 2003

Posts: 1361 | From: Grass Valley, CA | Registered: Sep 2000  |  :
tonkaboyrich496
¯
Member # 9877

quote:
Originally posted by John91coupe:
An ideal place would be the old Alameda Naval Air Station but I'm sure there would be mountains of red tape involved. They really can't use the place for much of anything due to the toxic waste issues. Already have the paved strip area with the runway. Could probably fit 8 drag strips on that runway. The place is HUGE!

Yea I didn't think of that but the keyword and factor is alameda lol

--------------------

SLOWBACK 67
¯
Member # 6348

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for SLOWBACK 67  Ford pictures for SLOWBACK 67    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Fremont had a nice track. But they were forced to close that one down if memory serves me right. I think the liberals living around there were complaining about the noise.

--------------------
Originally posted by turbo50:
I have no intenions of keeping anyones parts or taking anyones money.

cobraracer46
¯
Member # 1142

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for cobraracer46  Ford pictures for cobraracer46    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Just bringing this idea up for discussion, but does any one know why we don't have a local track in the bay?

It's all about money and real-estate. Bay area real estate is too valuable and expensive for use as a drag strip. Therefore, retail and housing projects uses up the bay area land that is avalable for development.

Another reason you dont see a drag strip in the bay is because of noise. Local communities don't want noisy track in their neighborhood.

Bottom line is that you should stop dreaming about a bay area drag strip because it will never happen.

--------------------
2001 SVT cobra convertible with a Viper T56, Fikse wheels, Griggs frame kit, roll bar, Vortech, 4:30 gears, brembo GT brakes and more.

Posts: 1172 | From: Woodside California | Registered: Apr 2002  |  :
HaulinAss Motorsports
Its a STREETRaceCar!
Member # 541

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for HaulinAss Motorsports  Ford pictures for HaulinAss Motorsports    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by cobraracer46:
quote:
Just bringing this idea up for discussion, but does any one know why we don't have a local track in the bay?

It's all about money and real-estate. Bay area real estate is too valuable and expensive for use as a drag strip. Therefore, retail and housing projects uses up the bay area land that is avalable for development.

Another reason you dont see a drag strip in the bay is because of noise. Local communities don't want noisy track in their neighborhood.

Bottom line is that you should stop dreaming about a bay area drag strip because it will never happen.

Actually there is plenty of unused land that cant be developed for residential and or commercial. And there are many areas in the baya area that wouldnt be affected nor care about noise.

The reason is the liberal homo treehuggers(such as yourself) protest any thought of a dragstrip. Saying its bad for the environment,wildlife or whatever other spandex wearing bs they can muster up............

Posts: 22466 | From: Sacramento | Registered: Nov 2001  |  :
HaulinAss Motorsports
Its a STREETRaceCar!
Member # 541

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for HaulinAss Motorsports  Ford pictures for HaulinAss Motorsports    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by SLOWBACK 67:
Fremont had a nice track. But they were forced to close that one down if memory serves me right. I think the liberals living around there were complaining about the noise.

Actually a Railroad Company bought it. Also rumor had it that it was going to be used as some wildlife sanctuary, however the land still sits vacant 25 years later..........
Posts: 22466 | From: Sacramento | Registered: Nov 2001  |  :
SLOWFOX
¯
Member # 11067

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for SLOWFOX  Ford pictures for SLOWFOX  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by HaulinAss Motorsports:
quote:
quote:

Actually there is plenty of unused land that cant be developed for residential and or commercial. And there are many areas in the baya area that wouldnt be affected nor care about noise.

The reason is the liberal homo treehuggers(such as yourself) protest any thought of a dragstrip. Saying its bad for the environment,wildlife or whatever other spandex wearing bs they can muster up............

All jokes aside is cobra racer really gay?? Honest question.

--------------------
" A Wolf under sheep's clothing"-svoRICK 2/10/12
Almost everything I asked for.

SwEeT03Gt
¯
Member # 10283

quote:
Originally posted by SLOWFOX:
quote:
quote:
quote:

^^ are you interested? why so serious [Razz] [dance]
9cobra7
¯
Member # 2812

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 9cobra7  Ford pictures for 9cobra7    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by SLOWFOX:
quote:
quote:
quote:

In all seriousness, yes! He actually entered a Freddy Mercury Look alike contest and won.
SLOWBACK 67
¯
Member # 6348

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for SLOWBACK 67  Ford pictures for SLOWBACK 67    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by SLOWBACK 67:

Actually a Railroad Company bought it. Also rumor had it that it was going to be used as some wildlife sanctuary, however the land still sits vacant 25 years later..........
Thanks for clearing that up. [patriot]

--------------------
Originally posted by turbo50:
I have no intenions of keeping anyones parts or taking anyones money.

tonkaboyrich496
¯
Member # 9877

I know how valuable the land is and can be, but the spots I'm referring to are industrial areas. Wide open spots where none of that is really an issue. Chabot gun range is right in some peoples back yards so some open header noise for a few hours shouldn't be that Damn bad..

--------------------

1996 GT
I'm Joe Yates
Member # 4992

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 1996 GT  Ford pictures for 1996 GT    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
quote:

Also you can count out the possibility of cobra racer having human vaginal sex from happening, EVER
VENOMUS PONY 5.0
¯
Member # 7785

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for VENOMUS PONY 5.0  Ford pictures for VENOMUS PONY 5.0    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by Cobra 93-4992:

Lmao

--------------------
If You Want More Inches - Stroke It!!!
Mystery stang in the works..

wilit
Mustang Messiah
Member # 3367

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for wilit  Ford pictures for wilit  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by John91coupe:

A few years ago there was a "company" that was trying to get Alameda to allow them to hold drag races there, eventually working it's way into a dedicated track. Alameda said it had plans to build residential housing near by and the track idea was shut down. I think they use part of the base for Auto-X now, but it doesn't draw the crowds or makes as much noise as a drag strip.

--------------------
"If a man hasn't found something worth dying for, he isn't fit to live." - Martin Luther King Jr.

Posts: 4793 | From: 37.78514° North 122.40100° West | Registered: Oct 2003  |  :
MauriSSio
¯
Member # 9943

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for MauriSSio  Ford pictures for MauriSSio    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Why not moffett field in Sunnyvale/mountain view??

There's a ton of room by Morgan hill and gilroy as well

166 Merlo
FELONY
MOTORSPORTS
Member # 1549

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 166 Merlo  Ford pictures for 166 Merlo    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
If the search feature worked on this forum, then you would have a good answer...

But what it comes down to is too much Noise and of course (no pun intended), red tape...

--------------------
'89 - Boss Coupe
'70 - Drop Cutthang
'68 - Cougnut
'87 - 0166, Its real

Page: 1  2   
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com