Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » General Talk   » concealed carry permit?

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: concealed carry permit?
Sydewayz_Stan
¯
Member # 10217

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sydewayz_Stan  Ford pictures for Sydewayz_Stan  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Anyone one here have one? Never got one before, im looking to pick up a handgun and was looking into a concealed carry permit so I dont have to worry about gettin in any trouble if I do wanna carry (hopefully will never need to but you never know). Rules and regulations? And im on court probation for a reckless driving, will that affect it?

Also, I was lookin at the glock .40's with the composite grips with the 10 round clips, super light and compact which is what I like for around 500-600 bucks. Any other suggestions that would fit the bill and wont break the bank?

--------------------
-90 Vert-SOLD
-91 Notch-SOLD
-2000 Explorer 5.0-SOLD
-72 Maverick-SOLD
-2004 GT, vortech V2 si, 10 psi-
-2002 F150 supercrew-

Posts: 3432 | From: 707 vallejo/richmond 510 | Registered: Aug 2010  |  :
Greasy
¯
Member # 5258

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Greasy  Ford pictures for Greasy    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I like Glocks but do prefer a .45 over a .40 or 9mm. Look into the XD Springfields too.

--------------------
'93 Cobra-Coyote Powered
'03 DSG Cobra
'13 Dodge Cummins
'14 Rubicon X

Posts: 3272 | From: North Dallas | Registered: Jan 2005  |  :
Sydewayz_Stan
¯
Member # 10217

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sydewayz_Stan  Ford pictures for Sydewayz_Stan  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Id prefer to stay on the smaller side. Id prefer not to kill someone if it came down to it i'd always try to go for a non lethal shot. And I was lookin at the springfields also. They look nice but are they just as reliable as the glocks?

--------------------
-90 Vert-SOLD
-91 Notch-SOLD
-2000 Explorer 5.0-SOLD
-72 Maverick-SOLD
-2002 F150 supercrew-

Greasy
¯
Member # 5258

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Greasy  Ford pictures for Greasy    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
From my experience they are reliable, I don't own one but have shot them. I've always had Glocks and I also have a Sig Sauer P226 in .40 which has been a really good gun.

--------------------
'93 Cobra-Coyote Powered
'03 DSG Cobra
'13 Dodge Cummins
'14 Rubicon X

FRC_Kid
¯
Member # 8940

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for FRC_Kid  Ford pictures for FRC_Kid    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
From what I've gathered it's all pending where you live. I'm on the SF Peninsula and basically have to forget about a CCW for now [Frown]

--------------------
Pretend Racecar Driver- C5 FRC

Ford, GM, & Dodge is what I'm all about

Posts: 2578 | From: All over the Peninsula | Registered: Feb 2009  |  :
Sydewayz_Stan
¯
Member # 10217

quote:
Originally posted by cali95gt:
From what I've gathered it's all pending where you live. I'm on the SF Peninsula and basically have to forget about a CCW for now [Frown]

I live in solano county. Im gonna stop by the gun shop after work but just wanted some info and opinions before I go

--------------------
-90 Vert-SOLD
-91 Notch-SOLD
-2000 Explorer 5.0-SOLD
-72 Maverick-SOLD
-2002 F150 supercrew-

SLOWBACK 67
¯
Member # 6348

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for SLOWBACK 67  Ford pictures for SLOWBACK 67    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by Sydewayz Stan:
Id prefer to stay on the smaller side. Id prefer not to kill someone if it came down to it i'd always try to go for a non lethal shot. And I was lookin at the springfields also. They look nice but are they just as reliable as the glocks?

It's not hard to kill someone shooting them center mass with a JHP bullet. This might sound fucked up. By if a criminal is trying to attack you and your in fear of our life. It's better to kill the guy then have that same guy sue you for shooting them.

If your looking for something to CCW and want something compact check these out.
http://www.charterfirearms.com/products/Charter_Pitbull_74020.asp it's a .40cal and cheaper then a glock. [patriot]

I no way am I trying to take away from Glocks. They are great guns.

--------------------
Originally posted by turbo50:
I have no intenions of keeping anyones parts or taking anyones money.

Greasy
¯
Member # 5258

I like revolvers but for carrying purposes I want something with a magazine, besides more ammo its also easier to reload and revolvers aren't very accurate.

[ December 17, 2012, 10:44 AM: Message edited by: Greasy ]

--------------------
'93 Cobra-Coyote Powered
'03 DSG Cobra
'13 Dodge Cummins
'14 Rubicon X

Sydewayz_Stan
¯
Member # 10217

Nice gun but im staying away from revolvers. I like guns with clips better even tho they spit the cartridges all over

--------------------
-90 Vert-SOLD
-91 Notch-SOLD
-2000 Explorer 5.0-SOLD
-72 Maverick-SOLD
-2002 F150 supercrew-

John91coupe
CAFords OG
Member # 18

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for John91coupe  Ford pictures for John91coupe  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I don't have a CCW but have looked into one. From what I was told they (the local approval agency i.e. Sheriff, Chief of Police) want you to have a spotless record before they will approve. That may vary with where you live but up here that is what they expect to see, zero record, not even moving violations. Someone on here with a CCW should be able to chime in and verify that or not.

--------------------
D-2R ProCharged R302 331
1.410 60 ft.
5.784 @ 122.92 1/8
8.953 @ 155.08
MM&FF Feature June 2003

Posts: 1361 | From: Grass Valley, CA | Registered: Sep 2000  |  :
v-town coupe
fordologist
Member # 2771

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for v-town coupe  Ford pictures for v-town coupe    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
go look into the CCW first, pistols later. Solano county is very hard to get your CCW. Their are classes offered to help you get your CCW( the right things to say how to dress, etc.) but still no guarantee you'll get it and the class is like $600.00. Not sure if you have had any run ins with the law, Dui's , speeding tickets, etc. but the really look at a lot of shit!! They will even look at if you have kids, safe place to store it, if you owe back child support.

If you get a CCW in under 3 months and they actually Give it to you, call me and lace me up on game!!! something else to consider , just because You have a CCW in solano county doesnt mean other counties have to honor it!( they may give you trouble if pulled over) if you travel a lot there is a 29 state CCW( dont quote me on the number of states but more then half)nicknamed the UTAH or Arizona CCW and this CCW allows you to carry in all of those states throughout the "whole state".

Also keep in mind when you get a CCW the first C=concealed. if you fail to do so and someone sees it you will be in violation of your CCW, so make sure you are not buying a full size pistol because they are a lot harder to hide, and make sure you don't tell the world that you are packing, it will only take one hater to put a wrench in your plans.

as far as pistols go i would say these three apply:
-something you can accurately shoot(you will have to qualify with your pistol)
-something small enough you can hide at ALL times
-Something with a true double safety. I like glocks BUT for safety reasons id go with a true double safety, ask Coolio the unda dogg why.LOL

Since it will be in such a small package Id go with a 9mm. you may be able to go with a .357sig or .40 but you may want a compensated model to reduce recoil. they say that most folks buy a big caliber for CCW and in a situation with a bigger bullet if you miss on the first shot the follow up will be a lot harder. atleast with a 9mm you will be able to squeeze a few off. also Look into something with night sights and the "i" setup. the "i" is not great for precision style shooting but works great for fast targeting on big objects such as dirtbags.

[ December 17, 2012, 11:47 AM: Message edited by: v-town coupe ]

Posts: 4597 | From: the V-town | Registered: May 2003  |  :
stanger50
20yr club
Member # 1665

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for stanger50  Ford pictures for stanger50    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Ian,

I own a glock 22 (.40 cal). Its an amazing handgun and never had any issues during discharge. I haighly recommend getting a 9mm if you plan on carry concealed. The size and the weight of the gun gets to you when carrying. Very noticeable.

As far as a CCW permit. Its a hit and miss. It really comes down to the county you live in (Alameda) stats that your county cant have more than 250k persons, shit, Fremont has that. So, your denied right out the gate.

Lets just say that rule doesnt apply anymore. You have to have a good cause. And protecting youself, family and the asshole that broke into your home last year is not good enough.

In time, I will be a License Private Investigator in the state of California. I do have a exposed Firearm permit that will allow me to carry. Also, PI's dont need a "good cause" to be issued a permit.

Say the least, its gonna be difficult to obyain a CCW permit, but not as difficult as others.

If your really serious about it, get a lawyer first. Find out what is expected.

GL

--------------------
1998 Cobra SVT convertible
Bright Atlantic Blue (1 of 247)

20 year club.

SydeWaySix
CAFords OG
Member # 3596

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for SydeWaySix  Ford pictures for SydeWaySix    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by stanger50:
Ian,

I own a glock 22 (.40 cal). Its an amazing handgun and never had any issues during discharge. I haighly recommend getting a 9mm if you plan on carry concealed. The size and the weight of the gun gets to you when carrying. Very noticeable.

As far as a CCW permit. Its a hit and miss. It really comes down to the county you live in (Alameda) stats that your county cant have more than 250k persons, shit, Fremont has that. So, your denied right out the gate.

Lets just say that rule doesnt apply anymore. You have to have a good cause. And protecting youself, family and the asshole that broke into your home last year is not good enough.

In time, I will be a License Private Investigator in the state of California. I do have a exposed Firearm permit that will allow me to carry. Also, PI's dont need a "good cause" to be issued a permit.

Say the least, its gonna be difficult to obyain a CCW permit, but not as difficult as others.

If your really serious about it, get a lawyer first. Find out what is expected.

GL

I'm Ian...the OP is STAN (I'm sydewaySIX and he's sydewaySTAN) hahahah. I'm not looking to get a CCW but thanks for the info [Razz]

--------------------
2013 Boss 302 #356. Performance White. Stock.
1965 Fastback GT Restored to stock spec.

Notch1320
Man Pedal
Member # 2647

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Notch1320  Ford pictures for Notch1320    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Like others have stated. First contact your sheriffs office and ask questions. Every county is different. Ask the questions yourself so you are working with first hand knowledge of what is reuired for your county. My CCW class cost $80......not $600.
Posts: 2349 | From: Yuba City, CA | Registered: Mar 2003  |  :
kingdavid
¯
Member # 11179

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for kingdavid  Ford pictures for kingdavid    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I got my CCW through the county of Sacramento, You can get online and look up the sheriff department in what county you live in and there will be a section that describes the process on getting a CCW. Then print out the form and schedule an appointment online to interview for your permit. Fees vary from county to county as well as coarse length, Sac County requires 16 hours, but some counties only require 8 hours. Like John91coupe stated you half to have no record what so ever, I had speeding tickets and was ok, if you have any juvenile record as a minor they will also pull that as well and discuss it at your interview with a detective. You need a valid reason for carry concealed they want to deny you trust me I’ve heard them say that. All together it cost me about 400 with the class, livescan and permit fee’s.

--------------------
1967 mustang 410W
2014 Oxford White 5.0

Posts: 305 | From: Sacramento | Registered: Aug 2011  |  :
v-town coupe
fordologist
Member # 2771

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for v-town coupe  Ford pictures for v-town coupe    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by Notch1320:
Like others have stated. First contact your sheriffs office and ask questions. Every county is different. Ask the questions yourself so you are working with first hand knowledge of what is reuired for your county. My CCW class cost $80......not $600.

The class I was talking about is offered by some third party on how to conduct yourself etc. CCW in your neck of the woods is a lot easier to get. got two buddies in marrysville who got theirs pretty easily.
Posts: 4597 | From: the V-town | Registered: May 2003  |  :
Fostang
¯
Member # 3752

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Fostang  Ford pictures for Fostang    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Id prefer not to kill someone if it came down to it i'd always try to go for a non lethal shot. ?

Based on this statement you have no business carrying a weapon. Stick to pepper spray or a taser.

I dont want you being one of thos stats where the scum bag disarms the citizen and kills them and others.

--------------------
67' Fastback TT 408
67' Camaro Lsx
64' Corvette Fuelie
57' Chevy Bel Air Lsx
68’ Pony Convertible
66’ Pony Coupe

Posts: 3011 | From: Stockton/Danville | Registered: Nov 2003  |  :
nitrous_bob
CAFords OG
Member # 77

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for nitrous_bob  Ford pictures for nitrous_bob    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
And im on court probation for a reckless driving, will that affect it?

im in michigan, who is a "shall issue" state, which means if you dont have felony convictions you get it. BUT, reckless makes you ineligible for 5 years i think, DUI is maybe 7

quote:

Also, I was lookin at the glock .40's with the composite grips with the 10 round clips, super light and compact which is what I like for around 500-600 bucks. Any other suggestions that would fit the bill and wont break the bank?

which model ? there are about 5 of them in .40 SW

from subcompact to competition long slide

as a first gun ? id get a glock 19, its abou tthe best handgun EVER made. im not a fan of "fo-tee" i prefer .45 acp, and i used to love the 1911, but the glock 19 is pure romance

whatever 40 cal is about that size....would be my vote for that, but with winchester "ranger t" 127 grain +p+ your hitting plenty hard enuff that 9mm does its job

and ranger t is the new and improved "black talon" it never went away, it just isnt black anymore

oh yes sir...thats a sexy bullet right there FO SHO !!!!

-

--------------------
5.0 OG since 1990

Posts: 1402 | From: st clair shores MI | Registered: Nov 2000  |  :
JZTRK
¯
Member # 7641

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for JZTRK  Ford pictures for JZTRK    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I think that you have to have a clean back ground
but as stated above check with your local sherrifs dep.

also don't listen to the people that say {Dont get a REVOLVER thay are not very accurate !!!}
that is a complete pile of horse SHIT all that means is that THAY are no good with a revolver. get what ever feels comfotable to you

You think thay wold stop making revolvers if thay were not very accurate. I have owned a wide range of revolvers and some semi auto hand guns and can shoot the shit out of both very very accurately
 -

Posts: 771 | From: My 44 Magnum says HI | Registered: May 2007  |  :

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com