Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » General Talk   » CA Lisence fee to go up (Page 1)

- Email this post to someone!   Page: 1  2   
Author Topic: CA Lisence fee to go up
Wildfire532FB
CAFords OG
Member # 1482

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Wildfire532FB  Ford pictures for Wildfire532FB  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
http://www.dailybreeze.com/news/ci_21998781/vehicle-license-fees-would-triple-under-measure-planned

Touted as a test of the new Democratic supermajority in Sacramento, South Bay state Sen. Ted Lieu plans to introduce a measure to triple vehicle license fees.

The constitutional amendment would restore the 2 percent vehicle license fee slashed by Gov. Arnold Schwarzenegger after he won office partly on that pledge.

The 1.35 percent transportation system user fee increase would generate an estimated $3.5 billion to $4 billion annually for roads and public transit in yet-to-be-decided proportions, Lieu said.

Buoyed by the Democratic supermajority achieved just last week, Lieu, D-Redondo Beach, plans to introduce the legislation in either December or January. He envisions the Legislature will approve the amendment and place it before voters in November 2014.

"It would be a test to see what the two-thirds (majority) Legislature means," Lieu told the editorial board of the Los Angeles News Group. "The best way for us to lose the supermajority is to overreach.

"I'm not saying it would be an easy sell," he added of the proposal. "I'm aware of the fact I may be attacked for it."

Lieu's name will be on the same ballot, although his real election battle likely will be in the June 2014 primary.

Vehicle license fees currently stand at 0.65 percent of a vehicle's value, so the increase would round that up to an even 2 percent.

Lieu said that means someone who paid $50 in vehicle license fees today would pay $150 if
Advertisement
the amendment is approved by voters.

Ed Costantini, professor emeritus of political science at the University of California, Davis, said the Democratic strategy of sending the legislation to voters rather than voting for it directly appears designed to blunt criticism of the supermajority's power to raise taxes unilaterally.

"It kind of protects them because they haven't imposed anything and they can certainly wrap themselves with the mantle of democracy," Costantini said. "It also seems consistent with the pledge by the governor that any tax increases would be subject to popular vote."

Lieu's proposal was hatched by Transportation California, an industry group that includes construction companies and labor unions.

While Lieu has contemplated the idea for some time, he said Gov. Jerry Brown's administration asked him to hold off on the proposal while Proposition 30 was before voters. That measure, including increases in the sales tax and income tax for high-end earners, was approved last week.

The lobbying group has proposed several taxing mechanisms to pay for more roads.

The vehicle license fee increase is the most palatable to potential voters who have provided feedback in focus groups, said Executive Director Bert Sandman.

"Everyone realizes we need to improve our infrastructure, so the debate is really how do we go about doing this," he said. "The feeling is (raising) vehicle license fees are a more fair way of doing this than raising the gas tax because it's a regressive tax, not a progressive tax."

That's because buyers of more expensive cars would pay higher vehicle license fees under the proposal.

The idea is to backfill revenue lost from the sunset of Proposition 1B, passed by voters in 2006, Sandman said.

Transportation California estimates there is a $5.4 billion shortfall to upgrade state highways.

The constitutional amendment is seen as a more permanent solution - and source of money - than the temporary nature of Proposition 1B.

The vehicle license fee would drop for the first 11 years, so motorists would pay less each year as the value of their vehicle diminishes.

Transportation California estimates the vehicle fee increase would create about 18,000 new construction-related jobs.

Lieu said he would not like to see any of the money go toward California's controversial bullet train proposal that critics have assailed as a waste of money.

nick.green@dailybreeze.com

Follow Nick Green on Twitter at http://www.Twitter.com/nickgreen007

--------------------
./_ _ _ ___ __\
(]]]_ _ o _ _[[[)
|\_o_ __ __o_/|
|__|..........|__|
68 Fastback
84 CJ7
94 HMMWV
95 GT
03 F350
17 Fusion Hybrid

Marks93
¯
Member # 11130

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Marks93  Ford pictures for Marks93    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
[Roll Eyes] Here we go again!!

Didn't they try this a few years ago. Good grief. [Mad]

fstryde3
¯
Member # 8436

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for fstryde3  Ford pictures for fstryde3    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Guess they have to make up the difference for all their supporters who don't pay their registration fees every year by gouging the working man, Yep keep voting Dem CAfords congratulations.

[ November 15, 2012, 11:56 AM: Message edited by: fstryde3 ]

Posts: 2950 | From: Sacramento | Registered: Jun 2008  |  :
68dustin
CAFords OG
Member # 5388

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 68dustin  Ford pictures for 68dustin    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I would be sooo fucked if they pass this..

--------------------
"As I lay rubber down the street, I pray for traction that I can keep, and if I do begin to slide, please dear God protect me and my ride!"

Posts: 3984 | From: neverland | Registered: Feb 2005  |  :
Wildfire532FB
CAFords OG
Member # 1482

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Wildfire532FB  Ford pictures for Wildfire532FB  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
If this passes i am gonna start looking into moving out of state.

--------------------
./_ _ _ ___ __\
(]]]_ _ o _ _[[[)
|\_o_ __ __o_/|
|__|..........|__|
68 Fastback
84 CJ7
94 HMMWV
95 GT
03 F350
17 Fusion Hybrid

DEVERO2
¯
Member # 6155

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for DEVERO2  Ford pictures for DEVERO2    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by Wildfire532FB:
If this passes i am gonna start looking into moving out of state.

We have already looked into it. Looking at Texas, Ohio, or Missouri
Posts: 641 | From: sacramento | Registered: Oct 2005  |  :
John91coupe
CAFords OG
Member # 18

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for John91coupe  Ford pictures for John91coupe  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Liberal/Democrat = Tax and spend, tax and spend, tax and spend............

--------------------
D-2R ProCharged R302 331
1.410 60 ft.
5.784 @ 122.92 1/8
8.953 @ 155.08
MM&FF Feature June 2003

Posts: 1361 | From: Grass Valley, CA | Registered: Sep 2000  |  :
Greasy
¯
Member # 5258

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Greasy  Ford pictures for Greasy    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
That is so ridiculous, I paid $400 a couple years ago to register my '95 Cummins I couldn't imagine that being tripled.

--------------------
'93 Cobra-Coyote Powered
'03 DSG Cobra
'13 Dodge Cummins
'14 Rubicon X

Posts: 3272 | From: North Dallas | Registered: Jan 2005  |  :
Robb
¯
Member # 9444

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Robb  Ford pictures for Robb    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Im so fed up with this state.. Between the immigrants, laws, insane smog laws, This state is just getting worst and worst. I'll most likely be relocating within the next 10 years.
Posts: 2467 | From: Sacramento,CA | Registered: Sep 2009  |  :
John91coupe
CAFords OG
Member # 18

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for John91coupe  Ford pictures for John91coupe  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by Robb:
Im so fed up with this state.. Between the immigrants, laws, insane smog laws, This state is just getting worst and worst. I'll most likely be relocating within the next 10 years.

You and a lot of other people, including me. Companies are fleeing this state in droves, as well as individuals. The CA government keeps this up and there won't be much left (or maybe only left left).

--------------------
D-2R ProCharged R302 331
1.410 60 ft.
5.784 @ 122.92 1/8
8.953 @ 155.08
MM&FF Feature June 2003

SLOWBACK 67
¯
Member # 6348

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for SLOWBACK 67  Ford pictures for SLOWBACK 67    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I don't know why the voters passed that law allowing this to happen without one republican vote. [Frown]
Wake up voters we are being strong armed a lot of our money.

--------------------
Originally posted by turbo50:
I have no intenions of keeping anyones parts or taking anyones money.

50Reasons
¯
Member # 6452

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 50Reasons  Ford pictures for 50Reasons    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Isn't this going to be put up for vote by us? Sounds to me we need to inform everyone to vote no.

--------------------
50Reasons Car Club President
Daniel/50Reasons
http://youtu.be/n_UkDg_F4MQ
https://youtu.be/066xRvxKy-g

Posts: 9483 | From: Sacramento Ca | Registered: Jan 2006  |  :
John91coupe
CAFords OG
Member # 18

quote:
Originally posted by 50Reasons:
Isn't this going to be put up for vote by us? Sounds to me we need to inform everyone to vote no.

No. With a super majority they don't.

"Touted as a test of the new Democratic supermajority in Sacramento, South Bay state Sen. Ted Lieu plans to introduce a measure to triple vehicle license fees."

--------------------
D-2R ProCharged R302 331
1.410 60 ft.
5.784 @ 122.92 1/8
8.953 @ 155.08
MM&FF Feature June 2003

JBeezy53
CAFords OG
Member # 3960

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for JBeezy53  Ford pictures for JBeezy53    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Well the license fee is only a portion of yearly registration. I'm not sure of the percentage but there's a breakdown on your yearly renewal. Regardless though an increase is ridiculous. 10 years ago yearly registration on a fox was $38, I just paid $81 last month for my 88 coupe. Those are on time, no late fee figures.

--------------------
89 Gt
98 Cobra
88 Notch
05 GSXR 750 Blk/Yel

Posts: 1782 | From: Sacramento, Ca | Registered: Jan 2004  |  :
uh0h50
CAFords OG
Member # 3125

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for uh0h50  Ford pictures for uh0h50    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Tax this, tax that. Tax anything and everything.. Fml

And we're not able to vote against this?? Fuck those assholes.

Posts: 2926 | From: Bay Area 510 | Registered: Jul 2003  |  :
John91coupe
CAFords OG
Member # 18

quote:
Originally posted by uh0h50:

Let me tell you how it will be
There's one for you, nineteen for me
'Cause I'm the taxman, yeah, I'm the taxman

Should five per cent appear too small
Be thankful I don't take it all
'Cause I'm the taxman, yeah I'm the taxman

If you drive a car, I'll tax the street,
If you try to sit, I'll tax your seat.
If you get too cold I'll tax the heat,
If you take a walk, I'll tax your feet.

Don't ask me what I want it for
If you don't want to pay some more

Now my advice for those who die
Declare the pennies on your eyes
And you're working for no one but me.

- The Beatles

--------------------
D-2R ProCharged R302 331
1.410 60 ft.
5.784 @ 122.92 1/8
8.953 @ 155.08
MM&FF Feature June 2003

uh0h50
CAFords OG
Member # 3125

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for uh0h50  Ford pictures for uh0h50    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by John91coupe:
quote:

- The Beatles

John, I've never seen you post this much in all of my time being on this site. Still love your coupe though. I still have the magazine somewhere in my storage. Definitely one of my favorite coupes ..
[Big Grin]

Posts: 2926 | From: Bay Area 510 | Registered: Jul 2003  |  :
John91coupe
CAFords OG
Member # 18

quote:
quote:
Originally posted by John91coupe:
quote:

- The Beatles

John, I've never seen you post this much in all of my time being on this site. Still love your coupe though. I still have the magazine somewhere in my storage. Definitely one of my favorite coupes ..
[Big Grin]

Been on this site for over 12 years now and still not over 1000 posts. Figured it was about time [Big Grin]

--------------------
D-2R ProCharged R302 331
1.410 60 ft.
5.784 @ 122.92 1/8
8.953 @ 155.08
MM&FF Feature June 2003

sic70stang
CAFords OG
Member # 4347

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for sic70stang  Ford pictures for sic70stang    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Keep it up John. A lot of the time news stories like this fly under the radar. [patriot]

--------------------
The anti-crew
1987 rolling safety violation.

Posts: 6940 | From: California | Registered: Jul 2005  |  :
9cobrasnake9
CAFords OG
Member # 575

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 9cobrasnake9  Ford pictures for 9cobrasnake9  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Haha John I am with you. Havent even hit 1k yet.

--------------------
96 Mystic Cobra
2011 F150 Raptor

NorCalRydaz
¯
Member # 3233

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for NorCalRydaz  Ford pictures for NorCalRydaz    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:

We voted when these fools were put into office. It shouldn't pass
Wolfie351
¯
Member # 651

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Wolfie351  Ford pictures for Wolfie351    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
You guys do realize this would just be bringing it back to what it used to be before Arnold, right? California's deficit increased by 4 billion just the first year alone as a direct result after Schwarzenegger cut the fee from 2% to .62%. Personally, I'd prefer they'd cut some waste before doing things like this. But, it's important to put it in perspective and understand how we got into the situation we're in. Tax and spend is bad, don't tax and spend is worse.

--------------------
1985 Mustang GT: 351W, Griggs, Baer, etc etc

Posts: 1214 | From: South Bay | Registered: Dec 2001  |  :
Wildfire532FB
CAFords OG
Member # 1482

quote:
Originally posted by Wolfie351:
You guys do realize this would just be bringing it back to what it used to be before Arnold, right? California's deficit increased by 4 billion just the first year alone as a direct result after Schwarzenegger cut the fee from 2% to .62%. Personally, I'd prefer they'd cut some waste before doing things like this. But, it's important to put it in perspective and understand how we got into the situation we're in. Tax and spend is bad, don't tax and spend is worse.

i remember it going up to 2% one year and then Arnold changed it, i think it was going up and then once it did the outcry made him change it back, i don't recall ever paying 400 dollars for my 95GT every except that one year.

If i read it correctly the Dems want us to vote on it ourselves so if this becomes something to vote on definitely vote no even if Brown says hes gonna cut water to your house and starve your kids at school, all that is just some BS to scare you.

--------------------
./_ _ _ ___ __\
(]]]_ _ o _ _[[[)
|\_o_ __ __o_/|
|__|..........|__|
68 Fastback
84 CJ7
94 HMMWV
95 GT
03 F350
17 Fusion Hybrid

cobraracer46
¯
Member # 1142

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for cobraracer46  Ford pictures for cobraracer46    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
As long as the money from higher fees goes to maintain our state parks, roads, bridges and schools, I don't a fuck if I have to pay more to register my car. [Whoo Whooooo!]

--------------------
2001 SVT cobra convertible with a Viper T56, Fikse wheels, Griggs frame kit, roll bar, Vortech, 4:30 gears, brembo GT brakes and more.

Posts: 1172 | From: Woodside California | Registered: Apr 2002  |  :
66_5.0
¯
Member # 9974

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 66_5.0  Ford pictures for 66_5.0    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Thats ridiculous.

--------------------
1966 Mustang

Page: 1  2   
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com