Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » General Talk   » Bike for commuting? (Page 1)

- Email this post to someone!   Page: 1  2   
Author Topic: Bike for commuting?
Rio1999GT
¯
Member # 9231

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rio1999GT  Ford pictures for Rio1999GT    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I'm possible getting my M1 license soon and was looking at different bikes. Mainly at the Ninja 250r and CBR250 for there 80+ MPG which would be great for my commute.

Anyone have any experience with a 250 on highways doing 65-80mph? or should I be looking at a bigger bike?

v-town coupe
fordologist
Member # 2771

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for v-town coupe  Ford pictures for v-town coupe    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
yes you will need bigger, I personally would not ride anything smaller then a 600 on the fwy. when id blow by those tiny bikes they would even catch wind from me, not mention if something goes down you got more power to get out of the way and better braking with more contact patch (being bigger bikes have wider tires) to help you stop. after a few months you will already be wanting a bigger bike anyhow just do it now.

Oh yeah and the resale value on anything smaller then a 600 is terrible, unless you get a retardedly good deal it really isnt worth it, do not buy new!!!

Posts: 4597 | From: the V-town | Registered: May 2003  |  :
Rio1999GT
¯
Member # 9231

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rio1999GT  Ford pictures for Rio1999GT    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
So 600cc would be good to start off with? I'd just be using it for commuting
fstryde3
¯
Member # 8436

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for fstryde3  Ford pictures for fstryde3    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I've had my M1 license since 1997, gotta agree with the previous poster I would definitely think about a 600 for the hwy. The appeal of the 250 bikes, price, gas etc. is great but once you ride on the hwy in traffic with some wind or rain you will know exactly what we mean. If you are going to be mainly on the freeway definitely think about stepping up in CCs. Check Craigslist and local dealers for used bikes there are always deals to be found.
Posts: 2950 | From: Sacramento | Registered: Jun 2008  |  :
NonOpSlow2V
¯
Member # 6111

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for NonOpSlow2V  Ford pictures for NonOpSlow2V    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Dont waste your time with a 250, ya its a good learning bike etc but you will out grow it fast, so my tip is to just start with the 600 so you learn throttle control, leaning, cornering and braking. I used a 600CBRrr to comute for a year, put on 20K miles in that year and I bought it brand new. I tracked my 07 R1 then rode that to work and back for about 2 years but that was a 1000 it took a but more gas and it was hard to keep thr front wheel down [worship] , now I ride my Duc but moslty 1-2 a week... [Big Grin]

--------------------
1997 Autumn Orange GT vert
1996 Mystic Cobra
2005 95ci Harley Road King
2011 F150 Raptor

Posts: 2139 | From: San Francisco | Registered: Oct 2005  |  :
Rio1999GT
¯
Member # 9231

You guys know of any bigger bikes that'll still get good fuel economy? 50+ mpg?
90GT510
¯
Member # 9199

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 90GT510  Ford pictures for 90GT510    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
250s at freeway speeds feel sketchy

--------------------
Stay Sydewayz

Posts: 1725 | From: East Bay/Dallas, TX | Registered: May 2009  |  :
Camara90
1%
Member # 134

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Camara90  Ford pictures for Camara90  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
They get good gas mileage, but commuting on one be prepared.

1) You will need to be fully geared up, its only a matter of time before you make a dip shit move or someone else does and you go down. Leathers and boots. I always carried a back pack with a change of clothes and shoes.

2) Cali weather is great, but a lot of times I was either hot or cold depending on the times you commute,

3) You always have to be on your toes when commuting on a bike, not the same daily wind down as being in a car listening to music or chatting on the phone.

4) You will be sweaty, or wet from rain when you get to work. This will start to bother you after a while. Your clothes will smell exhaust, or if you have them in a back pack they get wrinkled.

5)You dont have air bags or a bunch of metal around you to protect you so just remember that.

--------------------
92GT,stock short block,9:1 TFS 170's,perf rpm,custom cam,1 5/8 shorties,C4 trans.
std. 356hp, 350tq
11.85@111.9mph on motor.

v-town coupe
fordologist
Member # 2771

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for v-town coupe  Ford pictures for v-town coupe    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
keep in mind this is all just my opinion. But being a former bike owner I would not,WOULD NOT ride anything less then a 600cc on these freeways around here. I knwo you are not trying to race or whatever but really your already against odds whn riding an MC as people cannot and WILL not see you so you will need atleast enough umph to get you out of harms way and or keep up with traffic,on ramp merges etc. if you feel a regular 4 cycle 600 like an R6,ninja,gsxr etc is too much for you an SV650 or that type of bike maybe sufficent enough for the type of commuting your planning to do.

best way I can describe it is those small bikes are like a 3 cyl geo metro and the 600 would be equivalent to a civic si or better. if something falls in front of you, or there is an accident right in front of you, you will need some SAC to get you out of the way Or to look at it as it will give you the power needed to safely merge onto the freeway etc. you dont want to be that guy trying to merge and 2 miles down the road hes on the shoulder still trying to get in, we've all seen this fella before.

go 600. its plenty to do what you need and it wont be as hard as a liter bike to handle. atleast on a 600 once your in 2-3gear on up you can hammer on it without fear of the front coming up on you.

Rio1999GT
¯
Member # 9231

quote:
Originally posted by Camara90:
They get good gas mileage, but commuting on one be prepared.

1) You will need to be fully geared up, its only a matter of time before you make a dip shit move or someone else does and you go down. Leathers and boots. I always carried a back pack with a change of clothes and shoes.

2) Cali weather is great, but a lot of times I was either hot or cold depending on the times you commute,

3) You always have to be on your toes when commuting on a bike, not the same daily wind down as being in a car listening to music or chatting on the phone.

4) You will be sweaty, or wet from rain when you get to work. This will start to bother you after a while. Your clothes will smell exhaust, or if you have them in a back pack they get wrinkled.

5)You dont have air bags or a bunch of metal around you to protect you so just remember that.

Yeah, I've already considered all that. I'd just drive my mustang is it was raining. I'd also spend the cash to get good protective gear.

[ April 03, 2012, 08:24 PM: Message edited by: Rio1999GT ]

v-town coupe
fordologist
Member # 2771

everyone has offered solid advice in this thread take it! and even on a slightly older 600 your still getting damn good mileage.

just do not become another R.I.P. in general talk. commuting can be a little hairy out there.

Rio1999GT
¯
Member # 9231

quote:
Originally posted by v-town coupe:
everyone has offered solid advice in this thread take it! and even on a slightly older 600 your still getting damn good mileage.

just do not become another R.I.P. in general talk. commuting can be a little hairy out there.

Yeah, I appreciate all the advice!
EVLSONC
¯
Member # 6172

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for EVLSONC  Ford pictures for EVLSONC    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I recently had the same idea. I was tired of driving the cobra everyday an getting 12-14 mpg. Was looking at getting a bike just to ride to work. Took the msf course which was really worth it and I recommend you take it. After that I initially looked at 250's because of the great mileage and they are a lot cheaper. A lot of people told me not worth it. I ended up picking up an 03 cbr600rr and love it. I've been riding it everyday for the past year. Gear is really important. I have a vented leather jacket that is great for the summer cuz you can feel the breeze only around your armpits because you will get hot! I also have a rain jacket for the winter which I have been wearing a lot lately. Riding in the rain is not that bad. Just be careful and take it easy. I fill up every 2 weeks which cost about 11 bucks. I get between 30-40 mpg depending on my riding which I really can't complain about. Hondas and yamahas are really good bikes. 600 is all you need. I feel the bike has a good amount of power but with my style of riding which is mostly communing I don't use it all. Another good bike is the ninja 650r. More of a commuting bike at 50+ mpg but still looks like a street bike. Good luck. Buy now before prices go up as it gets warmer.

--------------------
03 Sonic Blue Cobra

Camara90
1%
Member # 134

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Camara90  Ford pictures for Camara90  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Mine started for commuting and riding for fun, and ended up here. lol be safe, and have fun.

-

-

-

-

--------------------
92GT,stock short block,9:1 TFS 170's,perf rpm,custom cam,1 5/8 shorties,C4 trans.
std. 356hp, 350tq
11.85@111.9mph on motor.

v-town coupe
fordologist
Member # 2771

^^^^ Sick!
1996 GT
I'm Joe Yates
Member # 4992

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 1996 GT  Ford pictures for 1996 GT    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Just don't die

--------------------
http://i.magaimg.net/img/257w.png

Rio1999GT
¯
Member # 9231

quote:
Originally posted by EVLSONC:
I recently had the same idea. I was tired of driving the cobra everyday an getting 12-14 mpg. Was looking at getting a bike just to ride to work. Took the msf course which was really worth it and I recommend you take it. After that I initially looked at 250's because of the great mileage and they are a lot cheaper. A lot of people told me not worth it. I ended up picking up an 03 cbr600rr and love it. I've been riding it everyday for the past year. Gear is really important. I have a vented leather jacket that is great for the summer cuz you can feel the breeze only around your armpits because you will get hot! I also have a rain jacket for the winter which I have been wearing a lot lately. Riding in the rain is not that bad. Just be careful and take it easy. I fill up every 2 weeks which cost about 11 bucks. I get between 30-40 mpg depending on my riding which I really can't complain about. Hondas and yamahas are really good bikes. 600 is all you need. I feel the bike has a good amount of power but with my style of riding which is mostly communing I don't use it all. Another good bike is the ninja 650r. More of a commuting bike at 50+ mpg but still looks like a street bike. Good luck. Buy now before prices go up as it gets warmer.

Thanks. I'll look into the 650r!

It would be nice to get 90+ MPG on bigger bikes like the newer CBR250 and 250r lol, but I'd be content with 50+

[ April 03, 2012, 10:39 PM: Message edited by: Rio1999GT ]

50DADDY
CAFords OG
Member # 3076

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 50DADDY  Ford pictures for 50DADDY    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I would not commute on a bike.Everyone is stressed and in a hurry and not paying attention during commute hours.Only a matter of time till someone makes a dumb move and you pay for it.Thats my 2 cents.Just looking out. [patriot]

--------------------
"Im not stupid,i just act that way so i dont make you dummies uncomfortable."

"Old age and treachery shall overcome youth and skill."

Posts: 4827 | From: Suckramento | Registered: Jul 2003  |  :
fredfifty
Since
9/2010
Member # 10320

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for fredfifty  Ford pictures for fredfifty    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
"there are those that have been down, and those that are going down"

real talk.

--------------------
RIP EDSON VELORO
IM A NOOB, EXCUSE ME. THANKS.
92 LX Coupe 5.0 CARB'd BOLT-ONS SMOG LEGAL
62 Rag Impala

Termin8Him
¯
Member # 7895

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Termin8Him  Ford pictures for Termin8Him    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I have a GSXR 600 for sale. PM me if you're interested and I'll send you more info.

--------------------
-whippled termy
-07 silverado

SAMACH1
¯
Member # 7042

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for SAMACH1  Ford pictures for SAMACH1    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by fredfifty:
"there are those that have been down, and those that are going down"

real talk.

+1 had some bitch clip me and run, gotta ride like no one can see you and expect them to do dumb shit [patriot] LOL and get a 600cc at least, took my coworkers 250 ninja out for a spin felt like a moped, can't stand the skinny tires either

--------------------
- STREET ACTIONS CC -
Advanced Auto Built
Bob Kurgan Tuned

NonOpSlow2V
¯
Member # 6111

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for NonOpSlow2V  Ford pictures for NonOpSlow2V    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I had a chick block my Lane, making an illegal left turn while I was on my 07 R1, she pulled in front of me and I was about 20 feet behind her in the other line when she clipped my front Wheel. Damaged my forks, bent my rim and bent my handle bar, and cracked the right and nose fairings...she looked at me and literally hit the gas and drove off...I saw her with three kids in the back seat too...
I was able to recall her license plate and last I heard she had her car towed and she was cited for misdemeanor hit and run...since to cops asked me to ID her physically.

Just some experience when I commuted on two wheels. I miss that bike, I ended up tracking it at lacuna seca and t-hill.

It's not a bad idea to use it once in a while, but everyday increases the probability of a crash. Going down is something you don't want to go through, but it happens.

[ April 04, 2012, 03:25 AM: Message edited by: autumnstang97 ]

--------------------
1997 Autumn Orange GT vert
1996 Mystic Cobra
2005 95ci Harley Road King
2011 F150 Raptor

Posts: 2139 | From: San Francisco | Registered: Oct 2005  |  :
moeofit32
¯
Member # 10393

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for moeofit32  Ford pictures for moeofit32    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Driving a bike commuting is risky but hell so is alot of stuff i dont dd my bike but i think with gear and a sharpe eye u will be fine ive noticed alot of ppl that ride bikes get to comfy and stop paying attention so my advice is to never get to comfy to were u dont pay attention ive prevented being hit hell i lost count and its cause i pay attention.im not saying u cant not be hit paying attention cause u can jus dont loose site of the fact that u are on a bike and u should be ok.....ride safe and spend good money on gear cause that shit will save your life sorry for my run on sentence but yea u get the pic

--------------------
95 stroked and blown cobra

Posts: 2387 | From: antioch ca | Registered: Oct 2010  |  :
BlackNGold
CaliforniaFords.com
Member # 655

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for BlackNGold  Ford pictures for BlackNGold    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I used a Ninja 250 for commuting for almost a year...It was great fun!...

It's a slimmer bike so, lane splitting is easier than a Harley...It was heavy for a small bike, but lighter than a 600, so it was easier to maneuver..I could out ride quite a few 600's on Mines road [Wink] ...Top speed 110 once, for some reason I could only hit 104-5 after that, lol (messed up carb?(wasn't my bike))...More power is better right?...But my point with the top speed is everyone says to get a bigger faster bike, well I think a stock 250 is good for mid 14's in the 1/4, how fast do you plan on goin in traffic???...Remember if you make a mistake on a faster bike, your crash will be faster too...I ride a 2011 GSX-R 750 now, and in traffic it is a waste of a sport bike...I think comfort should be more of an importance when choosing your first bike, especially on a longer commute...

On the down side, if you plan on commuting over the Altamont, then forget a 250...It will blow all over the place and you'll need more torque on the up hills...On a side note, one day the brake pads on the 250 wore low and came out and got stuck in the forks...Luckly I was just down the street from my house when it happened...It could have been all BAD!...

I think it depends on your skill level, but for a first bike I don't see that much wrong with a 250...
just my .02

Camara90~Great body positioning in the corners, you look like Casey Stoner! [worship]

--------------------
-SLOWER TRAFFIC KEEP RIGHT-

Posts: 5132 | From: Bay Area, CA | Registered: Dec 2001  |  :
Mach916
¯
Member # 8264

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mach916  Ford pictures for Mach916    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by 50DADDY:
I would not commute on a bike.Everyone is stressed and in a hurry and not paying attention during commute hours.Only a matter of time till someone makes a dumb move and you pay for it.Thats my 2 cents.Just looking out. [patriot]

+1 ... i have a ninja 250r myself..in the fastest color.. red!! haha this is my first bike and it is super easy to ride..im not much of a bike guy myself.. people tell me to get a 600 all the time.. but dont matter what you have the roads are not safe..you never know whats around the corner or if the streets will have oil,gravel,ect ect.. dont use it to comute.. get a civic or corolla.
Posts: 1247 | From: Sacramento | Registered: Mar 2008  |  :

Page: 1  2   
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com