Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » General Talk   » Thinking about picking up an F250

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: Thinking about picking up an F250
FORDNUT
CAFords OG
Member # 2348

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for FORDNUT  Ford pictures for FORDNUT    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
http://www.whybuynewautos.com/web/used/Ford-F250-Super-Duty-2001-Rocklin-California/1555450/

Any problems that i should look out for?

Posts: 650 | From: Elk Grove,CA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  :
93coupessp
¯
Member # 8418

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 93coupessp  Ford pictures for 93coupessp    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
nice truck but its only worth 13k other than that check compression ask for maintenence records . there was the same dealer here in brentwood and most of there trucks and cars were auction not like its a bad thing but look the truck over very well.

--------------------
89 gt project
09 f250 diesel 605hp
14 cts-v
13 harley fxdb 103ci

FORDNUT
CAFords OG
Member # 2348

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for FORDNUT  Ford pictures for FORDNUT    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I Went and check out the truck and they were acting like they are selling gold..
Truck Blue books at $16.600 they are asking 2k over book and not willing to work on price.

Clean truck but I also think price is alil high but after searching for 7.3's Im starting to think not..

93PONY
Mr. Valve Events
Member # 60

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 93PONY  Ford pictures for 93PONY        Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Lift kits will wear out suspenssion components much faster.

156K may not be much for the 7.3L as far as mileage/wear IF it's been maintained, but the rest of the truck still has the mileage.

FWIW I bought my 2000 F250 2 years ago for $13900 with 113K on the clock. Stone stock.
2 months later the dealer called me up and asked if I wanted to sell it back to them for $15K.

My best advise is to Drive as many 7.3L PSD's as you can before purchasing. You'd be surprised how many look good on paper, but drive like complete garbage.

Small dealers buy cars/trucks from wholesale lots..... Think about why a vehicle would end up in a wholesale lot.

The first test drive I did in my PSD before buying I knew it drove very nice for it's age. Trans felt stronger than any of the others, suspenssion was quiet, etc. Hitting the brakes at more than a normal rate it pulled and shook the wheel. I spent the next month test driving as many PSD's as I could....and that one was by far the best driving. I went back for a 2nd test drive and they told me they'd fixed a worn wheel bearing after my initial test drive.
1 week after buying the truck it randomly died at a light. Recal on CPS sensor. No big deal for me, I knew what it was and it's an easy fix. 1 week after that I nearly got into an accident during an emergency braking situation....damn thing didn't want to stop!

Point being, the original owner turned it in due to performance going down and the CPS issue. Who wants a truck that won't stop, pulls and shakes the wheel under moderate braking and randomly stalls?

Easy fixes for a guy like me, but it was traded in becaue the original owner didn't want to pay to have these things fixed. Then whole-saled due to the issues. And like I said, it was BY FAR the best driving of the dozen+ 99-03 PSD's I test drove.

You can expect these smaller dealers to have problem cars/trucks. In fact, I'd count on it.

[ July 17, 2011, 02:04 PM: Message edited by: 93PONY ]

--------------------
www.advancedenginedevelopment.com
SCT dealer
Dynotuning

(916)715-7569

Posts: 4265 | From: Fair Oaks, CA | Registered: Nov 2000  |  :
FORDNUT
CAFords OG
Member # 2348

I drove it felt good but the steering was alil loose after a check of the front end found worn track bar.
Noticed the rear diff seal leaking and high pressure oil pump leak.I checked for recalls and it still needs CPA and cruise harness replaced.Small repairs don't worry me because Ill do the repairs myself.
I've been checking Craigslist and can't find any with the mods for the $$$$

93PONY
Mr. Valve Events
Member # 60

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 93PONY  Ford pictures for 93PONY        Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
If you want to feel what a good 11 year old PSD feels like, stop by the shop, you can drive mine.

--------------------
SCT dealer
Dynotuning

(916)715-7569

turbo50
¯
Member # 6700

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for turbo50  Ford pictures for turbo50    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by 93PONY:
If you want to feel what a good 11 year old PSD feels like, stop by the shop, you can drive mine.

Is yours for sale?

Im going to be buyin one tomorrow. It drove pretty good for a ten year old vehicle.

Dan

--------------------
.........when was the last time YOU built something with YOUR own hands?

I offer quality sidework at reasonable prices. PM ME

Posts: 7606 | From: Discovery Bay, California | Registered: Apr 2006  |  :
DLo
¯
Member # 6133

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for DLo  Ford pictures for DLo    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Some people are asking a lot for those 7.3L trucks. My advice, take your time, don't hurry, and find one that's as close to stock as possible and well taken care of. You don't want one that's been through this programmer and that chip, and has been hammered on by some driver who thinks his truck is a combination of a hotrod, monster truck, and a 4 wheeler. Good luck!

quote:
Originally posted by turbo50:

quote:

Is yours for sale?

Im going to be buyin one tomorrow. It drove pretty good for a ten year old vehicle.

Dan

Pretty sure he intends to drive that thing into the ground from when I was talking with him at his shop.. and maybe even then some [Big Grin] It's a nice rig.

[ July 18, 2011, 12:26 AM: Message edited by: DLo ]

Posts: 1876 | From: Bay Area, CA | Registered: Oct 2005  |  :
turbo50
¯
Member # 6700

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for turbo50  Ford pictures for turbo50    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by DLo:
Some people are asking a lot for those 7.3L trucks. My advice, take your time, don't hurry, and find one that's as close to stock as possible and well taken care of. You don't want one that's been through this programmer and that chip, and has been hammered on by some driver who thinks his truck is a combination of a hotrod, monster truck, and a 4 wheeler. Good luck!

quote:

quote:

Is yours for sale?

Dan

Pretty sure he intends to drive that thing into the ground from when I was talking with him at his shop.. and maybe even then some [Big Grin] It's a nice rig.
ok cuz im lookin for a new tow rig 1/2 gmc aint cuttin it

--------------------

93PONY
Mr. Valve Events
Member # 60

Not for sale. I plan on getting another few years of use out of it. I won't be selling it till I'm confident the new PSD is a better truck.

--------------------
SCT dealer
Dynotuning

(916)715-7569

SnakeBit
¯
Member # 8871

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for SnakeBit  Ford pictures for SnakeBit    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
quote:

quote:

quote:

Is yours for sale?

Dan

Dan, how much are you going to sell your truck for?

--------------------
91 Coupe full M/M suspension
Maier WideBody
331 356 RWHP 357 RWTQ
Tuned by TPS MotorSports

turbo50
¯
Member # 6700

quote:
Originally posted by SnakeBit:
quote:
quote:

quote:

quote:

Is yours for sale?

Dan

Dan, how much are you going to sell your truck for?
Going to keep my truck too. New one will be solely a tow rig.

Dan

--------------------

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com