Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » General Talk   » The Great Debate: GT40 Irons vs Aluminum Heads (Page 2)

- Email this post to someone!   Page: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: The Great Debate: GT40 Irons vs Aluminum Heads
Adam5.0
¯
Member # 6995

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Adam5.0  Ford pictures for Adam5.0    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by 84SVOrick:
Cast iron heads are stRonger but heavier. Actually fuel atomizes better with irons. If you own a heavier car your gonna need the weight loss.

Wrong and wrong. Cast iron heads are pretty much ancient history. Its hard to find them used on any cars made in the last 5 years or so.

So basically we have established that with port work they can flow just as well as aluminum. but if we port some aluminum. heads the gt40 are still beat.

weight is everything in the speed game. aluminum heads weight 50lbs less and everything counts. you can have a 1000 hp engine in a tank, that doesnt mean it will be fast.

I still think there is no question on which one is better. no one said you cant make power with gt40's but you have alot more potential with Aluminum stuff.

--------------------
want something old and japanese

Posts: 1609 | From: Brentwood | Registered: Aug 2006  |  :
2slow2go
¯
Member # 9159

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 2slow2go  Ford pictures for 2slow2go  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
No debate gt irons suck. Only reason people have them is because they can't afford aluminum or they are racing a stock class. I have many friends that have aluminum and no one blows gaskets or warps shit.

--------------------
-2004 Cobra ¿ur scared?

highsidn stangs

FRC_Kid
¯
Member # 8940

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for FRC_Kid  Ford pictures for FRC_Kid    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by Adam5.0:
quote:
Cast iron heads are stRonger but heavier. Actually fuel atomizes better with irons. If you own a heavier car your gonna need the weight loss.

Wrong and wrong. Cast iron heads are pretty much ancient history. Its hard to find them used on any cars made in the last 5 years or so.

So basically we have established that with port work they can flow just as well as aluminum. but if we port some aluminum. heads the gt40 are still beat.

weight is everything in the speed game. aluminum heads weight 50lbs less and everything counts. you can have a 1000 hp engine in a tank, that doesnt mean it will be fast.

I still think there is no question on which one is better. no one said you cant make power with gt40's but you have alot more potential with Aluminum stuff.

This debate is about Ported GT40 Irons vs out of the box Aluminums not ported Aluminums..

If the cost of the heads is similar, than might as well save weight and get aluminum right [Confused] [Confused] [Confused]

I'm liking the feedback from everyone..

Now heres a new idea: lets et up a few runs between the Iron head step-children and the aluminum headed "Jocs" haha.. I got a camera fellas...

I'm not in any category so don't think your running me...

--------------------
Pretend Racecar Driver- C5 FRC

Ford, GM, & Dodge is what I'm all about

Posts: 2578 | From: All over the Peninsula | Registered: Feb 2009  |  :
Adam5.0
¯
Member # 6995

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Adam5.0  Ford pictures for Adam5.0    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB

[ September 27, 2010, 12:49 AM: Message edited by: Adam5.0 ]

--------------------
want something old and japanese

Posts: 1609 | From: Brentwood | Registered: Aug 2006  |  :
84SVOrick
¯
Member # 9039

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 84SVOrick  Ford pictures for 84SVOrick    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by Adam5.0:
quote:

Wrong and wrong.
Lol cant be really wrong. beating up cast irons is like beating up carbs, yes its old technology but tried and true just like cast irons lol. They get the job done ON A BUDGET lol. Yes alumn is new and light and shiney but cast is rugged and holds heat better per mr. Doug borders race engine builder at wyotech. Yes off the shelf alumin is better due to castings, but If casted out of the same mold they will PERFORM the same

--------------------
Bay Area Stunnaz
RIP Jeannera "FOXY302"
10/29/87-10/9/10
1984 SVO 302 HCI a basic bitch
1986 GT FOXY302 stolen and totaled R.I.P.

Posts: 1928 | From: Vallejo CA | Registered: Mar 2009  |  :
phildog
¯
Member # 1214

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for phildog  Ford pictures for phildog    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I never knew there was a debate. They are both junk!

The aluminum GT40's can at least be recycled into beer cans.

[ September 27, 2010, 12:23 PM: Message edited by: phildog ]

FRC_Kid
¯
Member # 8940

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for FRC_Kid  Ford pictures for FRC_Kid    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by phildog:
I never knew there was a debate. They are both junk!

The aluminum ones can at least be recycled into beer cans.

hahaha.. whats better?? titanium heads

--------------------

Duncan Motors
¯
Member # 7045

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Duncan Motors  Ford pictures for Duncan Motors    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
lol! beer cans!!!
Jaejae5.0
¯
Member # 7958

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jaejae5.0  Ford pictures for Jaejae5.0    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
going out and spending the $$$ on porting some gt40's prolly isnt the smartest idea..i bout some castings that had a bent valve for a low price ended up getting them ported for a greater price from a guy who def has the experiance with those heads..bought a valve spring kit new valves and hardend valve seats..low budget build..if you have the money hell yea buy some afr's or trickflows..but for a person like me who couldnt fork over 1400$ at the moment..buy your gt40's save up more $ get them ported and you can make some good numbers..but if you got the cash by all means go aluminum [patriot] ..only reason i went with gt40's was price..but not everyone has this deal that i came across..

--------------------
1987 notchback h/c/i 302 & 70mm turbo SOLD

2000 camaro ss cam only

Posts: 4890 | From: the combustion chamber | Registered: Oct 2007  |  :
FRC_Kid
¯
Member # 8940

quote:
Originally posted by jaejae:
going out and spending the $$$ on porting some gt40's prolly isnt the smartest idea..i bout some castings that had a bent valve for a low price ended up getting them ported for a greater price from a guy who def has the experiance with those heads..bought a valve spring kit new valves and hardend valve seats..low budget build..if you have the money hell yea buy some afr's or trickflows..but for a person like me who couldnt fork over 1400$ at the moment..buy your gt40's save up more $ get them ported and you can make some good numbers..but if you got the cash by all means go aluminum [patriot] ..only reason i went with gt40's was price..but not everyone has this deal that i came across..

Very well put.. too bad we don't have your deal

--------------------

Jaejae5.0
¯
Member # 7958

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jaejae5.0  Ford pictures for Jaejae5.0    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by cali95gt:
quote:

Very well put.. too bad we don't have your deal
lol i got lucky i guess..i would have rather gotten a deal on some afr's [Big Grin]

--------------------

2000 camaro ss cam only

Jaejae5.0
¯
Member # 7958

300hp combo

http://forums.corral.net/forums/showthread.php?t=1037611

300 hp dyno pass
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ekRxT1iX9GY

--------------------

2000 camaro ss cam only

Jaejae5.0
¯
Member # 7958

and another

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZSlwWMqMjHU

--------------------

2000 camaro ss cam only

Jaejae5.0
¯
Member # 7958

this guys ran a 11.9 with gt40's

http://forums.corral.net/forums/showthread.php?t=1036355

--------------------

2000 camaro ss cam only

FRC_Kid
¯
Member # 8940

quote:
300hp combo

300 hp dyno pass

Finally!!!!!

Thanks for the info.. I want to see more.. hahaha

--------------------

Jaejae5.0
¯
Member # 7958

quote:
quote:
300hp combo

300 hp dyno pass

Finally!!!!!

sounds like your a undercover gt40 iron lover [Razz] ..its ok i love these heads to [Wink] ..ive got a whole bunch of shit on these heads ill post more ina sec

--------------------

2000 camaro ss cam only

FRC_Kid
¯
Member # 8940

quote:
quote:
quote:
300hp combo

300 hp dyno pass

Finally!!!!!

sounds like your a undercover gt40 iron lover [Razz] ..its ok i love these heads to [Wink] ..ive got a whole bunch of shit on these heads ill post more ina sec
How'd you know [Wink] I've searched multiple boards and seen good #'s but I just want to see if some fellow CAFORD members have done the same...

Maybe I should get some GT40 Irons.. would I be cool enough than [Cool]

--------------------

phildog
¯
Member # 1214

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for phildog  Ford pictures for phildog    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Gt40's are are obsolete technology. There is way better technology available now. Gt40 combos can be fast, but they are fast in spite of the heads, not because of them. Gt40's, whether iron or aluminum, are better than E7's tho, lol.
87droptop50
Go Giants!
Member # 7185

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 87droptop50  Ford pictures for 87droptop50  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
AFRs ftmfw!!!!

--------------------
HighSpeed Motorsports
87Mustang Gt Conv kurgan tuned
03Harley F150 #5023
69El Camino SS396 -sold
99 f350 7.3 DRW

87TURBO
¯
Member # 9257

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 87TURBO  Ford pictures for 87TURBO    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
96 explore motor, non ported, with e cam 1.7 roker, full exouse long tubes, cdi,70tb 294rw 330tq! 100 shot dry kit pump gas made 367rw 470tq! with 100 shot wet kit 444rw 596t on 114 race gas! all on dyno jet untouch heads gt40s heads with berly ported upper ntake! i seen sock 302 shorblock with afterker aluminum h/c/i make little over 300

--------------------
turbo people

Posts: 403 | From: modesto/sanjose | Registered: Jun 2009  |  :
87TURBO
¯
Member # 9257

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 87TURBO  Ford pictures for 87TURBO    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
g40s aluminum are not much better that gt40 irons non ported! look at the price diffrents between non ported iron to aluminums! use iron gt40s are cheap like 3 hundo or cheaper at pick in pull! buget .... if you boys campare gt40s aluminum too triflow tw heads! triflow head will shit on gt40s aluminum and iron! in other words for the money gt 40s aluminum are crap

[ September 28, 2010, 04:20 AM: Message edited by: 87TURBO ]

--------------------
turbo people

Posts: 403 | From: modesto/sanjose | Registered: Jun 2009  |  :
FRC_Kid
¯
Member # 8940

quote:
Originally posted by 87TURBO:
96 explore motor, non ported, with e cam 1.7 roker, full exouse long tubes, cdi,70tb 294rw 330tq! 100 shot dry kit pump gas made 367rw 470tq! with 100 shot wet kit 444rw 596t on 114 race gas! all on dyno jet untouch heads gt40s heads with berly ported upper ntake! i seen sock 302 shorblock with afterker aluminum h/c/i make little over 300

Still the Aluminum headed combo makes more as you stated.. you just reinforced the arguement.

Aluminum > GT40 Iron

Thanks [Big Grin] [Big Grin] [Big Grin]

But lets get some runs set-up between the two different combos.. I have a camera fellas.. [Wink]

--------------------

sic70stang
CAFords OG
Member # 4347

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for sic70stang  Ford pictures for sic70stang    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Some people like gt40s just as some people like fat women. I guess someone's gotta do it.

--------------------
The anti-crew
1987 rolling safety violation.

Posts: 6940 | From: California | Registered: Jul 2005  |  :
84SVOrick
¯
Member # 9039

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 84SVOrick  Ford pictures for 84SVOrick    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
If trick flow casted alumin heads from a gt40 mold it would run the same as of they were cast iron. Get wut im sayin alumin cost 3x more the stock gt40.

Gt40 are like nikes (easy to get, very affordable)

Alumn is like space jam jordans (ballin, cars get stolen lmao j/k)

--------------------
Bay Area Stunnaz
RIP Jeannera "FOXY302"
10/29/87-10/9/10
1984 SVO 302 HCI a basic bitch
1986 GT FOXY302 stolen and totaled R.I.P.

Posts: 1928 | From: Vallejo CA | Registered: Mar 2009  |  :
sic70stang
CAFords OG
Member # 4347

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for sic70stang  Ford pictures for sic70stang    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
These would better describe gt40s

-

--------------------
The anti-crew
1987 rolling safety violation.

Posts: 6940 | From: California | Registered: Jul 2005  |  :

Page: 1  2  3   
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com