Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » General Talk   » The Great Debate: GT40 Irons vs Aluminum Heads (Page 1)

- Email this post to someone!   Page: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: The Great Debate: GT40 Irons vs Aluminum Heads
FRC_Kid
¯
Member # 8940

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for FRC_Kid  Ford pictures for FRC_Kid    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
As already know on this board there are tons of "Ported GT40 Iron" fanboys here...

They sware up and down that they have the best head for half the cost.. they must have gotten the heads for free since "Good Port work" isn't free...

I vote for aluminum heads all day..

I've been told the ported GT40 Irons can put out some power...

So here is your guys shot to shut me and some other board members up that I'd rather not name [Smile]

Post some convincing dyno sheets, dyno vids of GT40 Iron headed comboms putting out some nice #'s (300RWHP+)

you must have all accessories hooked up. anyone can make more power with no smog, no a/c, no powersteering, and electrice water pump..

A typical aluminum headed H/C/I with a tune puts out 300RWHP + with full accessiories..

I want to see some Iron GT40 headed combos with full accessiories put out that much..

I'm not bashing GT40's at all so don't take it that way.. we just need to settle this once and for all...

My vote= Aluminum [patriot]

--------------------
Pretend Racecar Driver- C5 FRC

Ford, GM, & Dodge is what I'm all about

Posts: 2578 | From: All over the Peninsula | Registered: Feb 2009  |  :
SLOWBACK 67
¯
Member # 6348

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for SLOWBACK 67  Ford pictures for SLOWBACK 67    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
AFR's FTW

--------------------
Originally posted by turbo50:
I have no intenions of keeping anyones parts or taking anyones money.

91Trunkster
¯
Member # 6598

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 91Trunkster  Ford pictures for 91Trunkster    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
03 Cobra Heads FTW

--------------------
Yellow94GT never touched anyone's sig or banned anyone, so I'm going to quit spreading that rumor. It's not like I have any proof anyways. All yellow94gt and other mods have done is volunteer their time to help other people buy/sell parts, learn how to make their cars go faster and meet fellow enthusiasts. I'm a hater, but it's hard to hate on these facts. I have saved hunrdeds, maybe thousands of dollars here buying and selling parts over the years alone, but I don't care, this website owes me damnit, and I'll piss on it as much as I want. Us haters gonna hate. Why contribute to something when you can take for free?
I act like I'm@Age15
I make friends on the internet that are@Age18
I was picked on in my youth so I became a bully@Age24
My mouth started to run 24/7 on the internet, but my car never at the track@Age26
First pubic hair@Age30
Troll@Age31
My internet friends and I ALL just got the boot for good!@Age31
Yes, you read it right, 31 and just as childish as my fresh out of highschool internet friends@31
Oh yeah, this isn't my website, so no one has to ask for my permission to change my sig. Hell, not like I pay the CAFORDS bill, so why should they need my permission to put what they want on their site? We're all guests here. Maybe some of us should start acting like guests or leave?

(510)375-1589

Adam5.0
¯
Member # 6995

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Adam5.0  Ford pictures for Adam5.0    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I didnt know there was a debate? The only advantage about gt40 Irons is the cost. They are the poor man's Aluminum heads.

--------------------
want something old and japanese

Posts: 1609 | From: Brentwood | Registered: Aug 2006  |  :
FRC_Kid
¯
Member # 8940

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for FRC_Kid  Ford pictures for FRC_Kid    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by Adam5.0:
I didnt know there was a debate? The only advantage about gt40 Irons is the cost. They are the poor man's Aluminum heads.

There is.. I have been given a lot of crap before for saying GT40 Irons ported suck when compared to aluminums hahaha

--------------------

theturbofrdguy
¯
Member # 10224

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for theturbofrdguy  Ford pictures for theturbofrdguy    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by cali95gt:
quote:
Originally posted by Adam5.0:

There is.. I have been given a lot of crap before for saying GT40 Irons ported suck when compared to aluminums hahaha
GT40 irons do not compare to aluminum heads...the only benefit stated before is they are great for broke ass people.

--------------------
1985 SVO - T3/T4 .63AR turbo upgrade, Front Mount IC, CAI ect. SDS Standalone ECU and 55lb injectors soon + 28PSI of boost coming soon.

Eddie510-
CAFords OG
Member # 2354

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Eddie510-  Ford pictures for Eddie510-    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
haulinass maro ran 10's with gt40s [worship]

--------------------
"I like to be more politicaly correct than what I really believe so I can get more frinds here on CaFords"-Cummings "TIPICKLE"

91Trunkster
¯
Member # 6598

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 91Trunkster  Ford pictures for 91Trunkster    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by Eddie510-:

got pics?

--------------------
Yellow94GT never touched anyone's sig or banned anyone, so I'm going to quit spreading that rumor. It's not like I have any proof anyways. All yellow94gt and other mods have done is volunteer their time to help other people buy/sell parts, learn how to make their cars go faster and meet fellow enthusiasts. I'm a hater, but it's hard to hate on these facts. I have saved hunrdeds, maybe thousands of dollars here buying and selling parts over the years alone, but I don't care, this website owes me damnit, and I'll piss on it as much as I want. Us haters gonna hate. Why contribute to something when you can take for free?
I act like I'm@Age15
I make friends on the internet that are@Age18
I was picked on in my youth so I became a bully@Age24
My mouth started to run 24/7 on the internet, but my car never at the track@Age26
First pubic hair@Age30
Troll@Age31
My internet friends and I ALL just got the boot for good!@Age31
Yes, you read it right, 31 and just as childish as my fresh out of highschool internet friends@31
Oh yeah, this isn't my website, so no one has to ask for my permission to change my sig. Hell, not like I pay the CAFORDS bill, so why should they need my permission to put what they want on their site? We're all guests here. Maybe some of us should start acting like guests or leave?

(510)375-1589

trickflow211
¯
Member # 8503

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for trickflow211  Ford pictures for trickflow211    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I thought iron heads also burned the fuel more efficiently??...

--------------------
1990 Cobra Clone 421 Tq 420 Hp

Need General Contractor Services? 925-338-5422 serving East Bay Area over 20yrs

Posts: 2449 | From: Pittsburg/Sacramento | Registered: Jul 2008  |  :
theturbofrdguy
¯
Member # 10224

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for theturbofrdguy  Ford pictures for theturbofrdguy    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:

Still doesnt make them better then aluminum heads

--------------------
1985 SVO - T3/T4 .63AR turbo upgrade, Front Mount IC, CAI ect. SDS Standalone ECU and 55lb injectors soon + 28PSI of boost coming soon.

70mach351
¯
Member # 7528

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 70mach351  Ford pictures for 70mach351    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
i got ported vic jr's. everything depends on your budget.

--------------------
70 Mach 1 gettin a make over
2001 Ford F250 Crew Cab 7.3

racsirx
CAFords OG
Member # 1710

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for racsirx  Ford pictures for racsirx    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Well I made 508RWHP & 548RWTQ with some GT40P heads with a turbo with 12lbs of boost, they just werent made to handle that much power, kept blowing head gaskets, switch to some TFS heads with 14lbs of boost and made 531RWHP & 534RWTQ.

--------------------
88 Saleen #564
88 GT 331 NOVI2000
88 Coupe TURBO 9.75@142
95 Cobra R #75-SOLD
06 F250
13 BMW AH3
17 GT350 #5556
GOD'S NOT DEAD

Posts: 20750 | From: Concord & Pittsburg, CA | Registered: Aug 2002  |  :
2T0NE
Go 49ers
Member # 4216

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 2T0NE  Ford pictures for 2T0NE    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
No contest aluminum heads all the way

--------------------
Originally posted by x Raelsmar x:
Can't wait till the Giants lose tomorrow night so all you Giants fans are forced to shut the fuck up.

Posts: 14676 | From: 760 carlsbad | Registered: Mar 2004  |  :
Notch1320
Man Pedal
Member # 2647

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Notch1320  Ford pictures for Notch1320    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
The combination of parts is everything!!!

In the end, money is always the limiting/deciding factor for most people.

Some guys spend huge dollars to make a GT-40 headed combination perform for a speific class while others are just happy with out of the box aluminum heads. There are plenty of cars going fast with GT-40's... well into the 10's for that matter.

Look at any car in NMRA Factory Stock, and read the rules for that class to see some serious power and shocking ET's from a dedicated group of racers with very limited parts list. It takes some big money to run with them, and actually, the class champ for the past few years runs "unported" E-7's when 90% of them run GT-40's, orGT-40p's. Oh... and they run power steering and pullied water pumps too. No Smog or A/C though.

For the average guy, you can't beat the standard aluminum H/C/I package...unless you are willing to spend some a good mount of money, and/or have the smarts to piece a combination together with the GT-40's.

My own car makes well over 300RWHP with unported E-7's, stock intake, stock throttle body, stock stamped steel rockers and stock lift cam....it wasn't easy, and it certainly was NOT cheap...

There will always be a heated debate on this subject, and someone will always be faster...

Maybe we should set up a little shootout between the two combinations???

This post could get real interesting....

If you are one of the die-hard debaters on either side of this debate, then how about putting your money where your mouth is and get in the other lane!!!

Posts: 2349 | From: Yuba City, CA | Registered: Mar 2003  |  :
FRC_Kid
¯
Member # 8940

quote:
Originally posted by trickflow211:
I thought iron heads also burned the fuel more efficiently??...

I thought JohnB called this BS????

Where are all the GT40 Gurus at [Confused]

Stand up for your parts [Big Grin] [Big Grin] [Big Grin]

Where were you guys at when they were bashing me hahaha

--------------------

Mustang Guru
¯
Member # 4119

Ford Icon 6 posted      Profile for Mustang Guru  Ford pictures for Mustang Guru    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
+1 AFR's

--------------------
1990 x-chp highway lil 302
1977 caprice classic 2dr.{Sold} 1988 coupe 4cyl dd{sold}

Posts: 1171 | From: Uptown Bound | Registered: Feb 2004  |  :
92 ssp
¯
Member # 8013

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 92 ssp  Ford pictures for 92 ssp  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Trick flow r heads over here lol... best money ever spent

[ September 26, 2010, 10:25 PM: Message edited by: 92 ssp ]

--------------------
President of Highways Car Club est 2004
1993 coupe "The Beast"
2004 Mercedes s500 amg

If u don't know about me u must be a nobody lol...

510cpskid
¯
Member # 8277

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 510cpskid  Ford pictures for 510cpskid    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
trickflow wedge heads for the win if your rockin gt40's its like having sex with a condom its just not the same

--------------------
old set up
92 coupe 100 wet nx 410's mickey t's
new set up
?

wilit
Mustang Messiah
Member # 3367

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for wilit  Ford pictures for wilit  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:

He probably would have run 9's if he had some AFR's. [Big Grin]

Like it's already been said before, you can't compare iron heads to aluminum heads. GT40's aren't even the best iron head, World Product iron heads are better.

--------------------
"If a man hasn't found something worth dying for, he isn't fit to live." - Martin Luther King Jr.

Posts: 4793 | From: 37.78514° North 122.40100° West | Registered: Oct 2003  |  :
BLK 90 GT 5.0
¯
Member # 7534

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for BLK 90 GT 5.0  Ford pictures for BLK 90 GT 5.0    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I have gt-40 cast heads with just alil port work thanx to previous owner and I like them. I'm pretty much beatin if not keepin up with ppl with same set up if not with more than me with afrs or tf aluminum heads so I think its all in how u build ur car. I haven't dynoed my car yet but my guess is I'm puttin down 300+

--------------------
-916 MUSCLE-

90 Gt
02 lancer

FRC_Kid
¯
Member # 8940

quote:
Originally posted by BLK 90 GT 5.0:
I have gt-40 cast heads with just alil port work thanx to previous owner and I like them. I'm pretty much beatin if not keepin up with ppl with same set up if not with more than me with afrs or tf aluminum heads so I think its all in how u build ur car. I haven't dynoed my car yet but my guess is I'm puttin down 300+

Strap that thing to a dyno asap.. I want to see #'s

I'm suprised nobdy has thrown up a vid or dyno sheet of their magical GT40 Iron headed combos [Confused]

are the people who sware by the Ported Irons the ones who never make it to a dyno for real results [Confused] [Confused] [Confused]

--------------------

84SVOrick
¯
Member # 9039

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 84SVOrick  Ford pictures for 84SVOrick    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Obvisiously i have gt40s, gettin sum work done on them currently. Cast iron heads are stRonger but heavier. Alumin heads are lighter. One doesnt flow better then the other if they have the same ports. Actually fuel atomizes better with irons. If you own a heavier car your gonna need the weight loss.
My car personally doesnt need the diet, its light already.if your ballin get alumin, if your broke like me get irons.

But its all on the person. Me im the underdog, i love usin the "im stock officer, just cai and mufflers"

--------------------
Bay Area Stunnaz
RIP Jeannera "FOXY302"
10/29/87-10/9/10
1984 SVO 302 HCI a basic bitch
1986 GT FOXY302 stolen and totaled R.I.P.

Posts: 1928 | From: Vallejo CA | Registered: Mar 2009  |  :
FRC_Kid
¯
Member # 8940

quote:
Originally posted by 84SVOrick:
Obvisiously i have gt40s, gettin sum work done on them currently. Cast iron heads are stRonger but heavier. Alumin heads are lighter. One doesnt flow better then the other if they have the same ports. Actually fuel atomizes better with irons. If you own a heavier car your gonna need the weight loss.
My car personally doesnt need the diet, its light already.if your ballin get alumin, if your broke like me get irons.

But its all on the person. Me im the underdog, i love usin the "im stock officer, just cai and mufflers"

Wont the cost of of GT40 Irons+ Cost of Port Work/Valve work= out of the box aluminums in the long run??

98% of board members are broke so don't feel alone I'm broke as well [Big Grin] [Big Grin]

I'm just trying to settle this never ending arguement thats always had between me and some friends.

Rick once you get that combo done strap it down and let me see some #'s or somebody else here post up some #'s

We need to figure this out asap

--------------------

84SVOrick
¯
Member # 9039

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 84SVOrick  Ford pictures for 84SVOrick    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by cali95gt:
quote:
Originally posted by 84SVOrick:

Wont the cost of of GT40 Irons+ Cost of Port Work/Valve work= out of the box aluminums in the long run??

98% of board members are broke so don't feel alone I'm broke as well [Big Grin] [Big Grin]

I'm just trying to settle this never ending arguement thats always had between me and some friends.

Rick once you get that combo done strap it down and let me see some #'s or somebody else here post up some #'s

We need to figure this out asap

yeah fa sho, cost of gt40 $200-300. Port work 300-500 depending on where and how much porting. Then with comparable heads use a flow bench. Should be about the same. But based on casting gt40s have a port limit. Depends on wut kind of power you want. Im not a drag racer, i do big, small, and medium donut for now, but om planning on makin my car a road course car. Love the twisties

--------------------
Bay Area Stunnaz
RIP Jeannera "FOXY302"
10/29/87-10/9/10
1984 SVO 302 HCI a basic bitch
1986 GT FOXY302 stolen and totaled R.I.P.

Posts: 1928 | From: Vallejo CA | Registered: Mar 2009  |  :
BLK 90 GT 5.0
¯
Member # 7534

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for BLK 90 GT 5.0  Ford pictures for BLK 90 GT 5.0    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Its all in who u know on the cost on port work and a valve job is only 100 where I come from and I got mine with port work already. So my thing is I'm a broke mofo and I had the choice buy the aluminum heads and be broker and not pay rent (cause I do live alone not with my parents) and no food in my fridge for the fam or buy gt-irons and get same results just alil heavyer and pay my rent and feed my kid I went with the irons. And almost everyone I know with aluminum heads have a lot of probs from always blowin gaskets and or worping them so in the long run irons are cheaper and u get same if not better results.

--------------------
-916 MUSCLE-

90 Gt
02 lancer

Page: 1  2  3   
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com